• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Jeels

Shouta said:
Yeah, the technical merits really helped a lot. DQ8 just felt like they really tried to step up their game in all the basic departments and they hit it out of the ballpark. Going into DQ9, it was like having an incredible piece of chocolate cake first then eating a hersey's kiss afterwards. The hersey's kiss is nice and all but it just doesn't really compare.

Agreeing with Brandon and Shouta here. Dragon Quest VIII was such RPG perfection for me, that just because of the technical limitations of the DS DQIX could never possibly live up to my expectations.

I am enjoying it though, it's definitely one of the best RPG's I have played, and definitely the best portable RPG (remakes/ports aside).

Here's looking to DQX.

Ceebs said:
Here is what my party looks like so far. I really wish you could see stats on the alchemy stuff before you make it. I wasted tons of time making things I did not even use.

You can press L or R on the recipe menu and it'll display the equipment's stats.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jeels said:
Agreeing with Brandon and Shouta here. Dragon Quest VIII was such RPG perfection for me, that just because of the technical limitations of the DS DQIX could never possibly live up to my expectations.

I am enjoying it though, it's definitely one of the best RPG's I have played, and definitely the best portable RPG (remakes/ports aside).

Here's looking to DQX.

This is funny considering the one thing that actually holds DQ VIII back are due to the technical limitations of the game. It's got excessive loads and battles take too long even on load free solutions.

I love DQ VIII and DQ IX and find it hard to believe anyone who liked one cannot like the other.

Jeels

Man God said:
This is funny considering the one thing that actually holds DQ VIII back are due to the technical limitations of the game. It's got excessive loads and battles take too long even on load free solutions.

I love DQ VIII and DQ IX and find it hard to believe anyone who liked one cannot like the other.

Right, loading and all that jazz, it also has one of the most beautiful worlds in gaming period. And I for one absolutely love the imagery heavy menus in the game, so I didn't mind the loading. Of course I'd like it to be not there in the next installment, but ya, I am happy they added those changes for the North American release.

Also, I didn't say I don't like DQIX, no idea where you got that from.

Evlar

Banned
SystemShark said:
Are there maces in this game? And if so, which classes can wield them?
Closest category to Maces is Hammers, which is available to Gladiators and Paladins.

And, if you're patient enough to grind the Hammers skill to 100, you can use Hammers with any other class, too.

I was afraid of that. Was hoping to have a mace wielder in my party sooner rather then later.

Ah well. A couple of hours in and I'm just about to go fight the
Wight Knight
. Rolling up my team and can't decide on a fourth.

Great game so far.

Salsa

Himuro said:
You must be shitting me, Draggy. 6 hours? I'm 22 hours in and I'm at that same place.

Himuro: explorer or worlds. No wonder I hate FF13.

Same place and 15 hours in.

So much stuff to do D:

3 dragonballs fygs down. I'm definitely having more fun than I was in the beginning. Doubt it'll get anywhere near the levels of DQ8 for me, but at least I'll be able to finish this one unlike the rest of the series.

Eteric Rice

I think the thing thats bothering me is that in the beginning I didn't know I was a Minstrel (or what a Minstrel was), and put my points in sword and shield instead of the fan (which is what most minstrels use) and now I can't fix it. Lol

This is why I could never get into Morrowind.

I haven't been this way for a while, but then again I haven't played any games with points allocation. I had completely forgotten that I had this issue. :lol

Teknoman

Himuro said:
I don't understand the big the deal about it being less technical to DQ8.

Am I the only person who, while appreciating graphcis, forgets about how good or bad a game looks after just a few minutes of playing? I just don't care.

Nah you're not alone in that. But sometimes a really striking scene will hit, and you just have to admire whats going on.

EDIT: Its late, so I probably could've worded that better...but I basically have the same stance as you. I'll forget about how good a game looks until a certain scene comes up that'll really impress me. As long as I like the art style, graphic quality doesnt have to be the absolute highest possible.

Eteric Rice said:
I think the thing thats bothering me is that in the beginning I didn't know I was a Minstrel (or what a Minstrel was), and put my points in sword and shield instead of the fan (which is what most minstrels use) and now I can't fix it. Lol

This is why I could never get into Morrowind.

Well since you dont have to stay a Minstrel if you dont want to, just keep going with sword and shield until you change classes. Really a sword wielding minstrel isnt that bad...I mean i'm using a thief with claws and a priest with a staff. So far its working out great.

Thats the thing about Dragon Quest games with a point allotment system, there really isnt a wrong way to play.

Eteric Rice

Himuro said:
How many points did you put into swords?

I did the same thing. I put in 3 points into swords for dragon slash.

But it's no big deal, there's hundreds of points available.

I don't remember really. I'm pretty sure it was around 20 and like 16 into shield.

I know it's stupid to be bothered about this, but it's the way my brain functions.

It's the same with names. When I started playing EverQuest, it took me around 6 + hours to think of a name that I wanted to keep.

And oh my God, when I collected Pokemon cards, if a card had a scratch I'd obsess over it for hours.

I might just restart the game so I can play with a sound mind. It's one of those things.

Instro

So is it worth making the main char a damage dealer when he has that egg on ability? Seems like he would be better served as a support class, unless there are other classes that can get that ability?

Himuro said:
I don't understand the big the deal about it being less technical to DQ8.

Am I the only person who, while appreciating graphcis, forgets about how good or bad a game looks after just a few minutes of playing? I just don't care.

Technical part doesn't bother me. I'm just not a fan of the whole "create your own characters" thing in JRPGs. FF1 is pretty much the only game where I can tolerate it. For me, a cast is one of the most important parts of any story-driven game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm liking this game more than I did DQVIII. And I luuuuuuurve DQVIII.

FFXIII killed my "thing" for RPGs. Persona 4 and this rekindled it. <3

So what's the general consensus on clubs? I rarely see anyone talking about them as a specialty and I'm interested in potentially having one my characters transfer to the Gladiator class and specialize in clubs.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I kinda wish the characters did no "shuffling around" during battles. It only eats up time and it's not like positioning matters at all.

DarkKyo

Regulus Tera said:
I kinda wish the characters did no "shuffling around" during battles. It only eats up time and it's not like positioning matters at all.
You should be able to turn it off I guess, but I like it. Anything that makes a battle more cinematic is cool in my eyes.

Kuraine

Neo Member
Hoo... I finally got the ability to change classes, and picked up a few advanced class quests :D

I was planning on strolling in there and just being able to change it up... Was not expecting something so epic! Which is all I'll say.

Shouta

Himuro said:
Different doesn't mean bad.

I didn't say it was bad. I said it was disappointing. It's nice in it's own way but it feels like they went back and settled for less when making 9 every because DQ up until now has really upped the ante each time.

Victrix

*beard*
Shouta said:
I didn't say it was bad. I said it was disappointing. It's nice in it's own way but it feels like they went back and settled for less when making 9 every because DQ up until now has really upped the ante each time.

4 player coop ups the ante a lot

... it's just that 4 player local coop, unless you're in middle school or live in japan, you're probably out of luck for getting the most out of that feature :|

Regulus Tera said:
FFXIII killed my "thing" for RPGs. Persona 4 and this rekindled it. <3

Hah, almost exactly the same for me. Though FF13 didn't kill it, it just put the nail in a coffin that was already mostly filled from several years of duds.

ataboada

Alright, got the game in the afternoon but haven't had time to play further than the first battle. This is my first DQ game, and I have to admit I was quite surprised at how the battle didn't have an ending song or animation (ala Final Fantasy). Maybe this changes later, but I haven't had any time at all to progress until now. Is this how it'll remain?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
VOOK said:
This just got dated for Australia, August 19th.

Sooo far away :/
Yep. Glad I imported.

ataboada said:
Alright, got the game in the afternoon but haven't had time to play further than the first battle. This is my first DQ game, and I have to admit I was quite surprised at how the battle didn't have an ending song or animation (ala Final Fantasy). Maybe this changes later, but I haven't had any time at all to progress until now. Is this how it'll remain?
Victory fanfares after each battle are a waste of time.

Eteric Rice

speedpop said:
Victory fanfares after each battle are a waste of time.

Video games are sort of a waste of time.

So then, when you watch the fanfares, you're wasting time while wasting time.

Fuckin' time, how does it work?

Ledsen

It's really depressing reading about your tag experiences... in Tokyo last fall/winter you'd get a full set of three tags every 5 or sometimes 10 minutes. That's the way it's supposed to work :/

Victrix

*beard*
Ledsen said:
It's really depressing reading about your tag experiences... in Tokyo last fall/winter you'd get a full set of three tags every 5 or sometimes 10 minutes. That's the way it's supposed to work :/

I watched the Iwata asks about DQ9, it was sort of depressing listening to them talk about the multi/tag features 'We hope this is just as popular in the US! Maybe there will be a Patty's Pub in the US! Surely when you're at an airport you can get lots of tags!'

Yeah, no, sorry. Unlike Japan, half the population of the US doesn't play Dragon Quest. Much less half the gaming population.

Speaking of local multi, is there any sort of wifi tunneling software out there ala Xlink Kai? I have several friends who would probably play this with me if we could play online.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Eteric Rice said:
Video games are sort of a waste of time.
Does that mean all forms of entertainment are nothing more than trips down a never-ending sewer pipe? Life is meaningless!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
speedpop said:
Does that mean all forms of entertainment are nothing more than trips down a never-ending sewer pipe? Life is meaningless!

You could learn a foreign language in the time you use to level up a WoW character to 80.

Or so I've heard!

BooJoh

So I accessed the DQVC shop for the first time yesterday morning. I bought out most of the stock, then checked later and it said to come back after 8:00 GMT.

So I waited, then tried just a little bit ago, and instead of telling me to wait until 8:00 GMT it connected, downloaded data, then disconnected and sent me to the shop like the first time. Only the shop hadn't changed stock. It was all the same items and they were still sold out, and now when I try to connect again it's telling me to wait until after 8:00 GMT tomorrow.

Is this normal? I thought stock was supposed to update every day.

i started up a new game of DQV, just because i didn't want to feel left out of the dragon quest craze. still can't convince myself to buy this one, mainly because all the trading aspects will be lost on me. not too many people in alabama playing dragon quest, though i might know 1 or 2

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The game's primarily a significant singleplayer RPG, like the ones that came before. The local-only multiplayer modes aren't even remotely critical. You can unlock a hefty amount of post-campaign content via WFC and WiFi. So you don't strictly require the local tag mode either. If you have homebrew, you'll be able to get absolutely everything without any connectivity at all.

Larsen B

Mejilan said:
If you have homebrew, you'll be able to get absolutely everything without any connectivity at all.

Does this involve editing/patching a back up, Mejilan? Or is it simply having a file that affects the DS cartridge itself (much like the Project Zero 4 fan translation)?

I'd imagine it's the former but would be delighted if not.

I am absolutely loving this game so far, but I could use a suggestion for my final party member. So far I have a sword/shield-wielding Gladiator, a spear wielding priest (who will become a sage), and a fan-wielding Paladin. I was considering an axe-wielding armamentalist or a Ranger of some sort. Any suggestions to balance out my party?

ULTROS! said:
Currently at Coffinwell.

Anyway, I've hated the DQ franchise (got bored, found it slow and repetitive, etc.) but after playing this... Wow, a DQ game that I actually like. I hope DQX is good though.

My only gripe is that the party members are non-existent or kind of like fillers.
I'd guess that you'd like the rest of the series if you'd give them another chance. People usually follow the "DQ is boring,
etc" route until they play one in particular and love it. And suddenly they understand the love for the entire series as the formula hasn't changed THAT much and DQ is still DQ.

I also vastly prefer random encounters to what's in this for everything but metal hunting. Small paths, fast respawns, menu respawns are all pretty annoying. My big issue with the game thus far.

carlos

just got the seventh dragonball, but i'm nearly at 30 hours; been having too much fun metal hunting and getting skill points...all my team members are at least lvl 16 in all the classes

ravien56

I'm a little confused about my party members. I'm at Stormway and talking to Patty, she's letting me make my own members or choose some...this isn't like DQ8 where you meet members via story? So should I just make a whole party then? Should I choose the pre made heroes from patty?

Ricker

Vamphuntr said:
I'll be in downtown montreal tomorrow. I'll bring my DS and hope I will be able to get tags.

Ill be around the Eaton Center on St-Catherine around 2 o`clock this afternoon,for about 1 hour...if I don`t get some hits there I guess we never will in Montreal hehe...

STG

just pre-ordered it (german version)
incl. slime figure as preorder bonus

can't wait! next saturday is dragon day \o/

I hope it let's me play that game in english if my DSi is set to that

Ricker

ravien56 said:
I'm a little confused about my party members. I'm at Stormway and talking to Patty, she's letting me make my own members or choose some...this isn't like DQ8 where you meet members via story? So should I just make a whole party then? Should I choose the pre made heroes from patty?

Make your 3 other guys at least there for sure....

ravien56

Ricker said:
Make your 3 other guys at least there for sure....
So I won't meet party members through story? It's just weird how they give you the ability to create and pretty much kill off any party member at will.

ravien56 said:
So I won't meet party members through story? It's just weird how they give you the ability to create and pretty much kill off any party member at will.
You're meeting fellow adventurers at Quester's Rest. There's nothing else. It works and i'd get over needing story party members as soon as possible. That's not where the charm in IX lies.

Top Bottom