• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

I feel really stupid asking this question, but to the people who are taking pics of your characters on your DS screen, what's the best setting to use? I have a DS Lite and the pictures I take aren't all that hot.. any good settings to use? I want to show off my characters >_>

Gravijah

RoryDropkick said:
I feel really stupid asking this question, but to the people who are taking pics of your characters on your DS screen, what's the best setting to use? I have a DS Lite and the pictures I take aren't all that hot.. any good settings to use? I want to show off my characters >_>

Aeana told me to look for a flower on my camera, I found it, turned flash off and when I actually took the picture it looked good.

Erdrick

I just wanted to say, I love this game. I hope it converts younger and new players to become lifetime fans of DQ like the original did me, so many years ago.

I'm just listening to the Orchestrated OST for DQIX. Sugiyama makes the most beautiful music for games...

rush777 said:
Same here I've done some searching online and there is nothing good enough for my liking, should have bought it when I was there ...
yeah it's getting to the point where it's too much to keep in my head with everything else going on in life :lol

Kind of a random question here, but does this game make extensive use of the shoulder buttons? Mine are busted to hell and back, and I'm trying to hold off buying a new DS till the 3DS hits.

I played a bit last night and started a party <me, monk, priest, and soldier> and defeated the Wight Night once so far.. I assume I'm going to have to take him on again, I dont know.. either way I know I can probably go a decent amount without having to grind but I still feel inclined to do so.

Also, would building a monk with fan attibutes be good? anything to suppliment it?

Hex

Banned
electricpirate said:
Kind of a random question here, but does this game make extensive use of the shoulder buttons? Mine are busted to hell and back, and I'm trying to hold off buying a new DS till the 3DS hits.

Have not had to touch a shoulder button unless I wanted to spin my character or perspective for some reason or to do a fight with my other hand occupied.
Shush

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just made it to Coffinwell, game seems to be really zippy and well-paced, especially compared to 7 and 8. I love the colors used in the game, for some reason... really nice and vibrant palettes. Though I think I would have preferred if monsters/all characters were sprites instead of polygons.

electricpirate said:

I don't think they do anything except rotate the playing field 45 degrees, which hasn't really been necessary. Ah, and rotate your character in the equip screen, nice but not necessary.

Thanks Joe and Hex, will probably grab this when I get payed next :D

And yes, I agree with that Gaime Guy. Though mine is an early japanese unit, so I have pretty much every manufacturing defect you can find. My hinge crack is getting worse and worse. :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Tag mode so far has been useless. 2 days, not a soul. Only thing it did was kill my DSi off faster so I can't play right now D:

Gravijah

Oh yeah, definitely can feel the slowdown with 4 players. I'll have pictures of my new characters once they look respectable. Time to grind!

Aeana

I've managed to get two tags, although I guess that's pretty pathetic considering that I live in a really densely populated area.

Hex

Banned
Drkirby said:
Tag mode so far has been useless. 2 days, not a soul. Only thing it did was kill my DSi off faster so I can't play right now D:

I am not really expecting any tags until the Gamestop event, though I take it with me when I am going out somewhere that there would be people.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Currently at Coffinwell.

Anyway, I've hated the DQ franchise (got bored, found it slow and repetitive, etc.) but after playing this... Wow, a DQ game that I actually like. I hope DQX is good though.

My only gripe is that the party members are non-existent or kind of like fillers.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Aeana said:
I've managed to get two tags, although I guess that's pretty pathetic considering that I live in a really densely populated area.

public transport? I've been trying for a couple days but none so far.

Himuro said:
I've tried connecting online, to both tag mode and dqvc, and can't connect. I really hope 3ds' network capabilities aren't as fucking finicky as the ds'.

I thought tag was only local?

Ricker

Knux-Future said:
Is anyone else main character kinda weaksauce? My MC can do shit while my Warrior is wrecking fools and my Mage ( when she isn;t trying to hit people despite having full MP) is making fools explode and shit. I can't wait to change class'

If you mean the Minstrel everyone has at first,I equipped him with a fan I found in a chest and he does pretty good melee damage with it so far...not as much as my Warrior who is 3 levels lower though for now but still..try a fan on him(looks weird on a guy in the equip screen but what the hell hehe).

Gravijah

Oh damn it all, paladins can't use swords. Guess I'll make my main person a battlemage thinger and my priest can become a paladin...

I NEED TO STOP PLANNING. :( :( :(

Link Man

Banned
Status update:

DQParty2.jpg

Just beat the
Jona
story, and man, am I glad I invested in fans. Water Slaughterer is a beast! Oh, and the Cloak of Concealment looks perfect for that attack, so I guess my earlier misstep with alchemy turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Both Ed and Dragona leveled a bit in the Thief class, and I'll probably take Ed back for the Agility and Deftness bonuses (later, though; Dragona already has good Deftness for stealing).

Also, love how Sykilios looks in her jeans.

Link Man

Banned
Gravijah said:
Oh damn it all, paladins can't use swords. Guess I'll make my main person a battlemage thinger and my priest can become a paladin...

I NEED TO STOP PLANNING. :( :( :(
Paladins can use swords.

Heck, sages can use swords. You just have to fill the sword skill completely.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Himuro said:
I don't get this. How can you like DQ9 but not the others? They're not THAT different. It's not like Final Fantasy. Typically if you can like one DQ you can like multiple DQ's.

I played DQVIII, DQIV, and a bit of DQVII. I got a bad impression on the series since:

DQVII - I didn't really play it, my brother played it, and we laughed at the horrible dialogue.
DQVIII - It was slow for me, stopped 15 hours.
DQIV - I didn't get far, but I kinda got bored, just don't know why (maybe it's the random encounters? or difficulty?).

DQIX has no random encounters and it's easier than the ones that I've played.

Although people have been recommending DQV, that's probably the next DQ game I'll play.

Aeana

ryan-ts said:
So is there a suggested way I should go after completing Batsureg?
Did you do Swinedimples Academy yet? Go southeast from Batsureg a couple of screens and you'll find another bridge going north to a snowy area.

Link Man

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Although people have been recommending DQV, that's probably the next DQ game I'll play.
Well, DQV has pretty much the same mechanics as DQIV, but with monster hunting added to the mix and a much more focused story.

Link Man said:
Status update:

DQParty2.jpg

Just beat the
Jona
story, and man, am I glad I invested in fans.
You should upgradce your Steel gear into Gigasteel.

Steel stuff + iron ore x 2 + Hephaestus' flame x 1

It works with the Full plate too.

ULTROS!

Himuro said:
It's just that it's odd you don't like DQ8 when DQ9 basically has charm of DQ8 in portable form. Though it is faster.

I could have liked DQVIII if it was faster. Actually, DQVIII is one of the most beautiful games I've played on the PS2... Plus it has a world map that I'm actually hoping that JRPGs would have.

ULTROS!

Link Man said:
Well, DQV has pretty much the same mechanics as DQIV, but with monster hunting added to the mix and a much more focused story.

Ok, will be definitely going to play DQV next (because it's probably the one thing I want in my JRPGs). :p

I've never finished DQVIII... But did it have a focused story? I kinda doubt DQIX has a focused story... But still liking it.

Link Man

Banned
theMrCravens said:
You should upgradce your Steel gear into Gigasteel.

Steel stuff + iron ore x 2 + Hephaestus' flame x 1

It works with the Full plate too.
I know, but I just found an enemy that holds toad oil, so I'm saving that for my next session.

^That too.

Eteric Rice

I'm going to assume that there's no way to change your secondary class once you've chosen it, yes?

Also, if I do get level 99, someone said I can reset my level and level him again to max his skill points. How is this done?

Link Man

Banned
Himuro said:
Toad oil? Where :D

From the huge toads in the seaside cave.

Eteric Rice said:
I'm going to assume that there's no way to change your secondary class once you've chosen it, yes?

Also, if I do get level 99, someone said I can reset my level and level him again to max his skill points. How is this done?
You can change your class as many times as you like. As for the level reset, I saw something in the strategy guide that suggests you can do it, but haven't gotten any confirmation one way or the other from those who have played that far.

Gravijah

Should I be putting some points into shield with everyone who can learn it? Goddamn games giving me choice! :( I still have no idea how I want to put skills out.

Ceebs

Link Man said:
Status update:

*image*

Just beat the
Jona
story, and man, am I glad I invested in fans. Water Slaughterer is a beast! Oh, and the Cloak of Concealment looks perfect for that attack, so I guess my earlier misstep with alchemy turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Both Ed and Dragona leveled a bit in the Thief class, and I'll probably take Ed back for the Agility and Deftness bonuses (later, though; Dragona already has good Deftness for stealing).

I must be doing something terribly wrong as far as gear goes. I am just past where you are and have not found the items needed to make 9/10of the gear you have on.

Tiktaalik

Aeana said:

Where do you live?

I just went for a shopping/browsing walk in downtown Vancouver while on my lunch break, and I also visited a super market.

Didn't get anything. :(

Link Man

Banned
Ceebs said:
I must be doing something terribly wrong as far as gear goes. I am just past where you are and have not found the items needed to make 9/10of the gear you have on.
Stealing is your friend, especially if you have a bestiary handy as well as maps for alchemical ingredient farm points. Both are available in the strategy guide (and one is available in this very thread).

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Gravijah said:
Should I be putting some points into shield with everyone who can learn it? Goddamn games giving me choice! :( I still have no idea how I want to put skills out.
What I'm doing, and I could very well be horribly wrong, is I figure over the course of the game without any grinding I will get to make use of at most 3 skills. So for each character, I just picked the 3 things I want them to focus on.

This is what I've picked, and I'm comitting to it:
Axe, Shield, Gladiator
Claws, Thief, Ranger
Wand, Mage, Sage
Bow, Cleric, Sage
spoilered since it contains stuff I looked up in a faq and I don't know if its common knowledge what is available.

Eteric Rice

Link Man said:
From the huge toads in the seaside cave.

You can change your class as many times as you like. As for the level reset, I saw something in the strategy guide that suggests you can do it, but haven't gotten any confirmation one way or the other from those who have played that far.

I meant completely.

Like, my main character right now is a Minstral/Warrior. Is it possible to make him Paladin/Warrior instead?

Would be nice.

Gravijah

slayn said:
What I'm doing, and I could very well be horribly wrong, is I figure over the course of the game without any grinding I will get to make use of at most 3 skills. So for each character, I just picked the 3 things I want them to focus on.

This is what I've picked, and I'm comitting to it:
Axe, Shield, Gladiator
Claws, Thief, Ranger
Wand, Mage, Sage
Bow, Cleric, Sage
spoilered since it contains stuff I looked up in a faq and I don't know if its common knowledge what is available.

Ah cool, I'm trying to figure out one weapon for each of my people too. So far I'm going Sword/Wand/Whip/Claws.

Stencil

So
Wight Knight
was totally kicking my ass but then as I read through the topic a bit, I realized, I should have had a full party. I was fighting him with just my main guy. Made some characters and totally killed him. I've got a male Warrior, female Priest and female Mage.

When can I change my main char.'s job from a Menstral?

Top Bottom