• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Segata Sanshiro said:
Haha, you're skipping a game that has a ton of favourable impressions because of one bad one?
I don't understand how you could skip any DQ game personally. The series is pretty consistent, i don't think i'm enjoying DQIX as much as my favorite DQ games, but it's still really addictive and fun.

Augemitbutter said:
i've read many impressions before, even in this thread, believe it or not.

but since i liked DQ VIII approx as much as Shouta did, i'm gonna miss the parts which made the previous game fun.
There are a lot of people in this thread that love DQ8 and are having a great time with DQ9.

It just comes off like you were looking for a reason to not buy DQ9 more than anything.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I really liked 8, it was my first DQ, in fact.

I like 9 better, I like the little story arcs a lot more.

john tv

8 is one of my least-favorite DQ games. Love the world, but hate the pacing, the story, the characters, the skill system, etc. 9 is way better in just about every regard except the world. IMO, of course.

Teknoman

Himuro said:
I think DQ8's charm stems from the crazy monsters, like jail cat, and the great localization. All that is here. The only problem is that your party isn't as animated as the cast in DQ8, who are all extremely colorful characters. But the vignettes in DQ9 make up for that in spades.

Agreed. Also Wooper Trooper :lol

Shouta

Augemitbutter said:

but since i liked DQ VIII approx as much as Shouta did, i'm gonna miss the parts which made the previous game fun.

The game is worth a play at least once. I may have been disappointed with it but it's still solid.

Eteric Rice

Okay, cool

Also, I asked this before, but no one answered. If I have a Warrior/Fighter, and want to make him a Warrior/Paladin, is that possible? I mean, to completely change one of a charactger's two vocations?

Just finished
getting my ship
and I'm in the desert. Half of my party is at 20 and I'm probably gonna grind them a bit once I start back up tomorrow. The
Marionette stuff
was so not what I was expecting, and honestly so far all of these little stories have made the game a lot cooler than one overarching plot (at least for the time being).

Eteric Rice said:
Okay, cool

Also, I asked this before, but no one answered. If I have a Warrior/Fighter, and want to make him a Warrior/Paladin, is that possible? I mean, to completely change one of a charactger's two vocations?

You can change vocations as many times as you want.

thetechkid

So pretty much every page so far has been:
- When you start the game do you have to be a minstrel?
- I didn't know you could have a party when you fight the Knight
- When can I change classes?
- Can you max all skills?

Vamphuntr

Stealing is so awesome when you are collecting ingredients for alchemy. You don't have to fight the same monster 20 times hoping it will drop the item you want. Sure, stealing fails often but have all your other characters guard so you don't kill the monster and you will eventually get it. Also the thief coup de grâce is pretty cool, it gives a 100% drop rate at the end of the battle.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Shouta said:
DQ8's charm is totally in the characters and the progression in the story and how each of the elements kind of work well with what's going on in the overall sense, at least for me. DQ9's story is just kind of there and lack luster for me. The stories don't feel interesting and the there isn't the cast to fall back on. Just doesn't feel like the the adventure the previous DQs are. I'm the exact opposite of Segata, I rank DQ8 pretty high and I rank DQ9 fairly low.

I'm only about two hours into DQIX and I feel similarly. I admit to being one of those people that would rank DQ8 as potentially one of the best in the entire franchise. A lot of it did have to do with the technical wonders Level-5 pulled off on PS2. Exploring caverns and the overworld was unlike most any RPG in the entire span of the PS2 legacy.

DQIX really loses that thus far. I've played decades worth of similar RPG's to this. The lushness of the world and the expansive horizon is gone. Back to isometric overhead fields and rather tame quest design. I am very early in and my opinion may change once the game gets going proper, but I'm mostly pressing on out of love for the franchise than for the current game right now.

Really hoping Level-5 gets to take a stab at a real HD Iteration next round.

Brandon F said:
I'm only about two hours into DQIX and I feel similarly. I admit to being one of those people that would rank DQ8 as potentially one of the best in the entire franchise. A lot of it did have to do with the technical wonders Level-5 pulled off on PS2. Exploring caverns and the overworld was unlike most any RPG in the entire span of the PS2 legacy.

DQIX really loses that thus far. I've played decades worth of similar RPG's to this. The lushness of the world and the expansive horizon is gone. Back to isometric overhead fields and rather tame quest design. I am very early in and my opinion may change once the game gets going proper, but I'm mostly pressing on out of love for the franchise than for the current game right now.

Next round is on the Wii, so I suspect you're going to be disappointed on the HD front.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Are claws the best for a martial artist?

Yeah I was wondering this too, my Martial Artist is pretty badass with a staff, he's probably my strongest guy, and I've put a bunch of skill points into the staff for him, is it worth it for me to switch to the claws, should I just try them out and start skilling them up?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Next round is on the Wii, so I suspect you're going to be disappointed on the HD front.
There's always a DQ8 port for PS3 as a Classics game, though the chances are really low at this point. I'd kill for that and Rogue Galaxy.

PTCoakley said:
There's always a DQ8 port for PS3 as a Classics game, though the chances are really low at this point. I'd kill for that and Rogue Galaxy.
DQ8 will get a remake at some point. I'd say there's a 0% chance of that happening on the PS3, though.

Aeana

Eteric Rice said:
When I change one of the two vocations, does that reset the points I put into that class?
Why do you keep saying "two vocations"? There's no such thing. You have a current vocation, and you can change it at any time. No restrictions.

Eteric Rice

Segata Sanshiro said:
DQ8 will get a remake at some point. I'd say there's a 0% chance of that happening on the PS3, though.

3DS probably.

Aeana said:
Why do you keep saying "two vocations"? There's no such thing. You have a current vocation, and you can change it at any time. No restrictions.

Wait... So just one of my characters can be like...

Paladin/Mage/Warrior/Thief?

If so, I did not know this. :|

Brandon F

Segata Sanshiro said:

Wait, when was that decision made? I would assume 3DS is the considered home for DQ10.

Shouta

Brandon F said:

Yeah, the technical merits really helped a lot. DQ8 just felt like they really tried to step up their game in all the basic departments and they hit it out of the ballpark. Going into DQ9, it was like having an incredible piece of chocolate cake first then eating a hersey's kiss afterwards. The hersey's kiss is nice and all but it just doesn't really compare.

Vamphuntr

Eteric Rice said:
Wait... So just one of my characters can be like...

Paladin/Mage/Warrior/Thief?

If so, I did not know this. :|

You choose the vocation for everyone on your team and you can change them. But it's one vocation at a time. You can't have someone be a Knight/Mage. You can level up the Knight a bit and switch to mage or vice versa.

Eteric Rice

Vamphuntr said:
You choose the vocation for everyone on your team and you can change them. But it's one vocation at a time. You can't have someone be a Knight/Mage. You can level up the Knight a bit and switch to mage or vice versa.

No, I know that you can only play one class at a time. What I mean is, can I make a guy who is a Knight, then switch vocations to Warrior, then later switch it to something else?

Brandon F

SIGH....

250706-empycchu2.jpg

266023-dragon_quest_5.jpg

256142-dragon_quest_8.jpg

Eteric Rice

Vamphuntr said:

So basically, every character you make can pretty much be everything, and it won't matter in the end where you put your points because you can pretty much max everything out that way>

Brandon F said:

Great game, but I much prefer the faster load times of DQIX.

The only thing I miss about VIII is that the party members had their own personalities.

Augemitbutter said:

Yeah gonna throw in my opinion and say that you shouldn't throw away IX because of some random person's opinion. Personally, I think the vignette's are as strong (if not stronger) than almost any DQ. VIII had a lot of problems for having a more centralized story.

Play IX, I highly doubt you'll regret it.

jiggle

initial impressions are
it looks as good as it can be, i guess
level-5 certainly did well
but the mix of 2D and 3D characters is so weird
so far i actually prefer V's look to this

i do love character customization though
and really looking forward to armor changing later on

will i get to customize the looks of all my PT members?

Vamphuntr

Eteric Rice said:
So basically, every character you make can pretty much be everything, and it won't matter in the end where you put your points because you can pretty much max everything out that way>

I don't know the total skills points you have by job level 100. Pretty sure you can max everything since lots of skills trees are present in multiple class.

Job system works as thus:

You can be any job that you have unlocked at any time. If you gain abilities or stat bonuses (like +10HP MAX) they will carry over to a new job. A new job will start you back at Level 1, but the game saves your progress.

eg.

Level 14 Minstrel -> Level 1 Mage

Level up Mage to 5

Level 5 Mage -> Level 1 Cleric

Level up Cleric to 6.

Level 6 Cleric -> Level 5 Mage

Eteric Rice

Dragona Akehi said:
Job system works as thus:

You can be any job that you have unlocked at any time. If you gain abilities or stat bonuses (like +10HP MAX) they will carry over to a new job. A new job will start you back at Level 1, but the game saves your progress.

eg.

Level 14 Minstrel -> Level 1 Mage

Level up Mage to 5

Level 5 Mage -> Level 1 Cleric

Level up Cleric to 6.

Level 6 Cleric -> Level 5 Mage

Hmm, thats pretty cool. I can be everything. I was kind of worried that I wouldn't be able to play Paladin and the other unlockables. Awesome. :D

Vamphuntr

Anyone did the the Thief quest? You have to steal the tycoon loot from a hunter's mech in the cave. Is it random? Because I always get a hunter's bow or iron ore by stealing :(

Aeana

Vamphuntr said:
Anyone did the the Thief quest? You have to steal the tycoon loot from a hunter's mech in the cave. Is it random? Because I always get a hunter's bow or iron ore by stealing :(
I think I got really lucky on that. I failed to steal a lot, but the first time a steal was actually successful I got the loot. Seems others had a tougher time.

Salsa

Brandon F said:
Hey GAF remember me!

I was so damn excited for real time battles.

Same old turn-based turned out fine. But (and im probably gonna get a lot of hate from the dq fanbase here) the idea of mixing DQ with some kind of "Diablo" gameplay was awesome to me. Specially for the multiplayer aspect. I (most of the time) welcome any kind of change for these long franchises.

I have to say that DQIX looks absolutely stunning on the DS. There are some nasty framedrops, especially in menus (the background not while navigating the menu), but I can't believe this is running on the DS.

Vamphuntr

Aeana said:
I think I got really lucky on that. I failed to steal a lot, but the first time a steal was actually successful I got the loot. Seems others had a tougher time.

Yeah it does fail a lot. I stealed from 5 of them already. Seems I'm unlucky :(. I hope the reward is worth the trouble.

Salsa

Dragona Akehi said:
I have to say that DQIX looks absolutely stunning on the DS. There are some nasty framedrops, especially in menus (the background not while navigating the menu), but I can't believe this is running on the DS.

Funny, but the game that actually made me realize the 3D power of the DS was Dragon Ball Origins. If i hadnt played that, this would have probably blown my mind.

Ceebs

Here is what my party looks like so far. I really wish you could see stats on the alchemy stuff before you make it. I wasted tons of time making things I did not even use.

dq9t773.png

GeekyDad

PTCoakley said:
Just finished
getting my ship
and I'm in the desert. Half of my party is at 20 and I'm probably gonna grind them a bit once I start back up tomorrow. The
Marionette stuff
was so not what I was expecting, and honestly so far all of these little stories have made the game a lot cooler than one overarching plot (at least for the time being).

Agreed. I won't say I'm surprised, since the series has always had great writing, even if the general tone was always lighthearted. Plus, the effects the fruits have on all the various folks in the game really play into the mythology that makes up the base of the story.

Top Bottom