• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

ravien56

Freyjadour said:
You're meeting fellow adventurer's at Quester's Rest. There's nothing else. It works and i'd get over needing story party members as soon as possible. That's not where the charm in IX lies.
I don't need story members, just kinda expected them after playing dq8. So any recommendations on starting classes?

ravien56 said:
I don't need story members, just kinda expected them after playing dq8. So any recommendations on starting classes?
Like it's been said before, VIII is the only DQ with a REALLY central and strong party. I honestly haven't noticed the lack of a story party other than party chat.

Mage, MA, Priest (or Thief/Warrior). It isn't that important honesty.

So wait, I'm supposed to be using FANS with my minstrel? I've put a few points into swords already. I thought it would be good for that "metal slasher" ability or whatever people are talking about when they go kill medal things.

Should I switch immediately to fans for my minstrel? I'm not that far in, just after you get a party.

Mudo

I just got to the point where I can change classes for the first time. I am assuming that I should take into account which weapon lines overlap when picking a "new" class? I started with the Minstrel and made a Martial Artist, and looking at the lists, Minstrel --> Warrior and Martial Artist ---> Thief seem like good ideas. Am I on the right line of thinking here? I can't see how it would help to, say, switch my Warrior to a Priest or Mage.

For experience with the new classes, is Metal Slimes the way to go? I remember seeing them in 1 area a couple hours ago, and I could just do 2 character class changes at a time, keeping the other 2 to help in getting them levelled up?

I'm rambling...but it's awesome and a little overwhelming (class change stuff). The game is still as great as ever. I find myself playing it even on my breaks and lunches at work this week!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
theMrCravens said:
Don't think you need to spoiler those.

Anyway, Gladiators can't use shields, unless you're going 100 Shield for omni.
I'm aware. Priests also can't use Bows. The idea is to get there eventually.

Gravijah

Mudo said:
I just got to the point where I can change classes for the first time. I am assuming that I should take into account which weapon lines overlap when picking a "new" class? I started with the Minstrel and made a Martial Artist, and looking at the lists, Minstrel --> Warrior and Martial Artist ---> Thief seem like good ideas. Am I on the right line of thinking here? I can't see how it would help to, say, switch my Warrior to a Priest or Mage.

For experience with the new classes, is Metal Slimes the way to go? I remember seeing them in 1 area a couple hours ago, and I could just do 2 character class changes at a time, keeping the other 2 to help in getting them levelled up?

I'm rambling...but it's awesome and a little overwhelming (class change stuff). The game is still as great as ever. I find myself playing it even on my breaks and lunches at work this week!

I'm going with overlapping weapons myself, at least at the start. I'm where you are, so of course I don't really know how well it's gonna work. I don't even have a wand yet for my priest! :lol

koji

Pre-ordered this yesterday, dropped under my radar completely, was pretty surprised my local retailer had it up for pre-order.

Anyway, it all looks pretty sweet, we actually got visually changing armor? Awesome!

BooJoh said:
So I accessed the DQVC shop for the first time yesterday morning. I bought out most of the stock, then checked later and it said to come back after 8:00 GMT.

So I waited, then tried just a little bit ago, and instead of telling me to wait until 8:00 GMT it connected, downloaded data, then disconnected and sent me to the shop like the first time. Only the shop hadn't changed stock. It was all the same items and they were still sold out, and now when I try to connect again it's telling me to wait until after 8:00 GMT tomorrow.

Is this normal? I thought stock was supposed to update every day.

THIS. Does anyone know how the store updates? It tells 8:00 AM GMT and I'm in CA. So that should be 1:00 AM PST, right? But I'm not getting any update. What gives?

Aeana

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
So wait, I'm supposed to be using FANS with my minstrel? I've put a few points into swords already. I thought it would be good for that "metal slasher" ability or whatever people are talking about when they go kill medal things.

Should I switch immediately to fans for my minstrel? I'm not that far in, just after you get a party.
There's no "supposed." Do whatever you like!

Forkball

I played this game for about an hour, and wtf my hair that I selected doesn't look anything like the hair I picked when I'm walking on the field. Game of the Never.

Also, what's the point of the profile? Can people see it in tag mode or something?

Gravijah

Forkball said:
I played this game for about an hour, and wtf my hair that I selected doesn't look anything like the hair I picked when I'm walking on the field. Game of the Never.

Also, what's the point of the profile? Can people see it in tag mode or something?

If you're still at the beginning, your hair and character become very light... my hair looked pink. This changes when you progress further.

Aeana

Reluctant-Hero said:
THIS. Does anyone know how the store updates? It tells 8:00 AM GMT and I'm in CA. So that should be 1:00 AM PST, right? But I'm not getting any update. What gives?
Same thing happened to me today. I got updates on earlier days, but not today... :(

thefil

I'm at a point in my gaming life now where I could be happy if my sole exposure to RPGs was Dragon Quest. The last one I played before this was Dragon Quest V on the DS. I just love the vignette-driven story progression present in the DQ games; they are always so filled with charm and don't attempt to make things serious when (like most RPGs) it boils down to an inexplicably evil entity you must defeat. And despite being allegedly unchanging, each DQ has as many tweaks to the standard turn-based RPG formula as any entry in the genre does, they just don't attempt to call it the "dynamic attack buildup tension action system".

I've decided my plan is to go for the most bizarre party I can. To that end, I'm thinking a Minstrel with fan, Thief with claws for now (whip later), Martial Artist with fisticuffs and Priest with shield (later boomerang). I'm only like 5 or 6 hours in so I don't know how this will all turn out.

gblues

Banned
So, anyone got tips for setting up a wireless network so that the computers use WPA but leaves a WEP link open for the DS? Isn't there supposed to be some way to bridge it with the Wii or something? I just really don't want to unsecure my network just so I can use the WFC features.

My current network topology looks like this:

Code:
  [Modem]
     |
 [Router1]---WPA---+--[Wii]
     |             |
 WPA Bridge        +--[Laptops]
     |
 [Router2]
     |
    CAT5
     |
 [Desktop]

I have a third router I could hook up and connect to Router2 via CAT5.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
AAAAAHHH! I would LIKE to have the best weapon for my minstrel! :)
Fans can get pretty close to Swords in terms of attack on the weapons, have a 4-5 hit light damage attack for 8 mp, and have a free party heal for it's secret ability.

Eteric Rice

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
AAAAAHHH! I would LIKE to have the best weapon for my minstrel! :)

Oh God I'm not the only one. :|

Shit like this drives me insane. Why couldn't you just add a points reset guy, Horii? WHY!? :lol

Eteric Rice said:

Shit like this drives me insane. Why couldn't you just add a points reset guy, Horii? WHY!? :lol
By the time I had DQIX in my hands, I had browsed Japanese wikis, gamefaqs, and everything else i could get my hands on to build a (flexible) party plan. I'm also OCD.

Either way, your actions have consequences! :p

Reluctant-Hero said:
I didn't have an updated store today either and my store is sold out. :(

I got my first treasure map this morning! Went to explore the grotto and only got to the second floor before I had to leave for work. If I get another map after completing this one then it's going to be a long, long time before I get back to the story.

I'm also getting to about level 20 in my second job class and I'm tempted to load up a third just for all of the easy, fast skill points.

Eteric Rice said:

The thing is that these spent points aren't wasted though.
It just means that you'll have to grind some more to max out the other stuff.

Hex

Banned
Ok, stuck and I have to be overlooking something.

I just
beat the ragin' contagion and went to town, the wife died and the doctor locked himself in or something
And I can not figure out what I am supposed to do next, I am pretty sure I have spoken to everyone again.

Any points you put into swords are still going to be into swords when you switch to another job with swords, so the points aren't wasted.

Seriously guys, don't worry. If you take every job to level 99 you'll have enough points to max out all but two skill trees.

Link Man

Banned
Hex said:
Ok, stuck and I have to be overlooking something.

I just
beat the ragin' contagion and went to town, the wife died and the doctor locked himself in or something
And I can not figure out what I am supposed to do next, I am pretty sure I have spoken to everyone again.
Visit the graves.

gblues

Banned
mcdomination said:
Why do you have so many "routers"? Are you sure they aren't switches?

Oh, they're routers. I'm using a wireless bridge because the locations of my equipment make cables impractical. If you saw my living room you'd understand! :)

Gravijah

Segata Sanshiro said:
Any points you put into swords are still going to be into swords when you switch to another job with swords, so the points aren't wasted.

Seriously guys, don't worry. If you take every job to level 99 you'll have enough points to max out all but two skill trees.

I just can't help obsessing over these things. There's a reason every time I try to play FFT, I end up grinding on the first few map squares until I have a bunch of jobs and skills leveled. And then I end up putting the game down :lol

I heard there was a map of alchemy spots or something posted somewhere earlier in the thread? Any links to that and other helpful things?

Just finished the Gleeba quest line.

I can already imagine the number of people who won't know how to progress here, even though the NPCs tells you exactly what to do.
(the lizard "clap" thing)

GeekyDad

Forkball said:

When you enter someone else's world, you greet them with whatever's written in your profile. That also plays into the accolades you unlock, since you can then use them as titles to introduce yourself.

My party is:

Main lvl 9
Mage lvl 6
Priest lvl 6
Thief lvl 6

Now, I do really pathetic melee damage with priest and mage should I start putting skill points in some weapons for those two, or should I dump them and get like 4 warriors and collect skills and than later when I can change classes I can dump them wherever I like?

Damn like always I'm afraid to use skill points, I always screw up :/

bounchfx

had a chance to play last night. my god, this game is GORGEOUS. one of the prettiest games, for sure.

I think in the first 90 minutes there is maybe 10 minutes of actual gameplay lol. it's great so far, I like the concept, and the text doesn't seem as slow as everyone is making it out to be. can't want to get new gear and start fighting more.

DrEvilbones

Neo Member
gblues said:
So, anyone got tips for setting up a wireless network so that the computers use WPA but leaves a WEP link open for the DS? Isn't there supposed to be some way to bridge it with the Wii or something? I just really don't want to unsecure my network just so I can use the WFC features.

My current network topology looks like this:

Code:
  [Modem]
     |
 [Router1]---WPA---+--[Wii]
     |             |
 WPA Bridge        +--[Laptops]
     |
 [Router2]
     |
    CAT5
     |
 [Desktop]

I have a third router I could hook up and connect to Router2 via CAT5.

Not sure if you're router firmware supports it, but I was able to set up a virtual access point in dd-wrt that is hidden and uses WEP. I can't remember exactly where in the control panel it is or what it's called, and I can't get to my router from here, so if you're interested I can look it up when I get home tonight.

Aeana said:
Same thing happened to me today. I got updates on earlier days, but not today... :(
I hope this is just a glitch in NOA's DQIX server and doesn't become common place. =(

Japan GAF, did the JP DQVC (or whatever they called) ever have update issues during the first year the game was out?

In other news I'm 24 hours in and loving every minute. I just completed Jonna's vignette. I haven't really done much class training besides switching my MC minstrel into a warrior.

Melhisedek said:
My party is:

Main lvl 9
Mage lvl 6
Priest lvl 6
Thief lvl 6

Now, I do really pathetic melee damage with priest and mage should I start putting skill points in some weapons for those two, or should I dump them and get like 4 warriors and collect skills and than later when I can change classes I can dump them wherever I like?

I wouldn't really worry too much about wasting points. I had a party similar to yours, except a martial artists instead of a thief. What I did was invest my points into my weapons of choice first, then my class specific points later. To be honest, I am sort of regretting leveling up my mage, as he is being outperformed by my melee characters. But my priest with a spear has been a great asset to my team. She can deal some damage, and keep my party alive during challenging boss fights.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Larsen B said:
Does this involve editing/patching a back up, Mejilan? Or is it simply having a file that affects the DS cartridge itself (much like the Project Zero 4 fan translation)?

I'd imagine it's the former but would be delighted if not.
Neither, really. Every major DS flash cart supports some kind of cheat system. Update the cheat database, toggle a bunch of cheats, load up your game, and enjoy.

Evlar

Banned
I gather a lot of people are struggling to understand what does and does not transfer over when you change classes, so here is a summary:

1. Weapon skills trained by one class are available to another class IF the new class can use that weapon. Note that this rule is overridden by the 100 point ability in the weapon skill trees, the "Omnivocational" passive. So if you really, really want your Gladiator to use a wand you can make that happen, you crazy fool. Note this also applies to shields, meaning you can make a shield-bearing Martial Artist...

2. ALL VOCATIONAL SKILLS TRANSFER OVER. I'm guessing this point is being lost on people since no one is discussing the benefits of, for instance, stacking the passive bonuses to Magical Mending from priests and Magical Might from mages in anticipation of building a Sage. Once you learn a vocational skill or passive bonus, it's yours forever.

3. VOCATIONAL SPELLS DO NOT TRANSFER OVER. This point is obvious, I think, but it's the confusion between spells and skills that makes point 2 above a little hard to grasp. Spells are the abilities granted to you automatically as you level a class. Skills are the abilities and passives granted to you for spending skill points. Your mage will lose "Fizz" and "Crack" when he changes to a Thief. He will NOT lose "Wizard Warding".

4. When you transfer back to a class you previously abandoned, you will regain your EXP, your previous level, and all your previous spells. This encourages dabbling in other classes in order to strengthen your intended main class... For instance, flipping a Priest to a Minstrel in order to build up the Shields skill, then flipping back with all you old stuff and better defenses.

5. And, of course, unspent skill points are never lost in transition from one class to another, meaning you can "bank" them and grind on unfavorable classes to harvest skill points for use in another class.

Evlar said:
I gather a lot of people are struggling to understand what does and does not transfer over when you change classes, so here is a summary:

1. Weapon skills trained by one class are available to another class IF the new class can use that weapon. Note that this rule is overridden by the 100 point ability in the weapon skill trees, the "Omnivocational" passive. So if you really, really want your Gladiator to use a wand you can make that happen, you crazy fool. Note this also applies to shields, meaning you can make a shield-bearing Martial Artist...

2. ALL VOCATIONAL SKILLS TRANSFER OVER. I'm guessing this point is being lost on people since no one is discussing the benefits of, for instance, stacking the passive bonuses to Magical Mending from priests and Magical Might from mages in anticipation of building a Sage. Once you learn a vocational skill or passive bonus, it's yours forever.

3. VOCATIONAL SPELLS DO NOT TRANSFER OVER. This point is obvious, I think, but it's the confusion between spells and skills that makes point 2 above a little hard to grasp. Spells are the abilities granted to you automatically as you level a class. Skills are the abilities and passives granted to you for spending skill points. Your mage will lose "Fizz" and "Crack" when he changes to a Thief. He will NOT lose "Wizard Warding".

4. When you transfer back to a class you previously abandoned, you will regain your EXP, your previous level, and all your previous spells. This encourages dabbling in other classes in order to strengthen your intended main class... For instance, flipping a Priest to a Minstrel in order to build up the Shields skill, then flipping back with all you old stuff and better defenses.

5. And, of course, unspent skill points are never lost in transition from one class to another, meaning you can "bank" them and grind on unfavorable classes to harvest skill points for use in another class.
This should be quoted at the start of every new page.

I got my first tag of hopefully many today. Seems that a number of people in the Twin Cities area have picked this fine game up. Hopefully it does well.

GeekyDad

Melhisedek said:
My party is:

Main lvl 9
Mage lvl 6
Priest lvl 6
Thief lvl 6

Personally, I've been concentrating mostly on two main skills for each character. So, for instance, I put skill points into my sword and shield skills for my minstrel, and points in fan and focus for my marital artist. Of course, certain quests have requirements that have forced me to change vocations, invest in certain skills and all that, but I figure if you play the game long enough, you'd eventually be investing in other things anyway.

Also, don't underestimate a priest's ability as a fighter. My priest does surprisingly good damage with rods, often getting many more crits than my martial artist.

carlos

So I finally ended up using those accumulated skill points I had (nearly 130 with each character), and decided to max out the paladins "virtue" with all four of them.

Seems like its going to make the game a LOT easier (not that it needed to be), the amount of defense gained and the +80 hit points have made my 4 characters into tanks, even the priest....

BlueWord

Haven't had much time to play this week, and I mostly grind when I do, so I'm not too far. I'm going for a more even approach to skills this time, instead of trying to max them out, which can make a pretty varied party, as far as skills go.

I was doing and FFT play-through right before this, it really highlights some of the limits of the system. It's about what I'd expect from DQ, but part of me wishes I could go full-on FFT dual-wielding greatsword mode.

Still no tags. :(

Ricker

I`m canvassing right now,in the Montreal area...a few questions,the icon on the top left corner for signal strenght I guess,is kinda greyed out for me,the 3 bars are greyed out,does that mean I have a lousy signal? also if I ever get a hit,how will I know? is there a chime or something to let me know?(they say you can close the DS while tagging).

Also a few asked this and no one answered...how far is local...can I say it`s just as far as I can see my access point/wi-fi router if I do a test connection for example? if that`s the distance,then local sucks,no wonder people aren`t getting hits hehe...

Top Bottom