• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Hex

Banned
Himuro said:
Agreed, it's stupid.

I disagree.
I understand alot of hardcore's just want the text to flash by and would rather battles were instant but myself and I would assume at least a few other people like to see things at least a little "alive" .

EzLink

Banned
Is there a good online guide anywhere that details the specifics of all the skills and vocations and everything? I would like to be able to plan ahead on how best to spend my skill points

Started yesterday and played through to the
White Knight
. I am SO GLAD I ignored my reservations about this game and picked it up anyway. I am so hooked. It's incredible

Gravijah

EzLink said:
Is there a good online guide anywhere that details the specifics of all the skills and vocations and everything? I would like to be able to plan ahead on how best to spend my skill points

Started yesterday and played through to the
White Knight
. I am SO GLAD I ignored my reservations about this game and picked it up anyway. I am so hooked. It's incredible

There's a skill guide on GameFAQs, helped me plan ahead a little.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Seems like Plus Alpha.

Thanks.

Hex said:
I disagree.
I understand alot of hardcore's just want the text to flash by and would rather battles were instant but myself and I would assume at least a few other people like to see things at least a little "alive" .
Really should be an optional setting.

Hex

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Really should be an optional setting.

That is a possibility.
I know in Pokemon, alot of people like to turn off battle animations and jack up text speeds so having it in a game like this would not be hard.

Foxix Von

Himuro said:
I'd settle for an optional first person mode.

If they bundled that with the ability to turn the map off I'd be tempted, if only to see if I would suffer from Vietnam-esque Phantasy Star flashbacks.

gblues

Banned
DrEvilbones said:
Not sure if you're router firmware supports it, but I was able to set up a virtual access point in dd-wrt that is hidden and uses WEP. I can't remember exactly where in the control panel it is or what it's called, and I can't get to my router from here, so if you're interested I can look it up when I get home tonight.

Please! Both of my routers are running DD-WRT--the main one is running full DD-WRT, the other is using the lite version. Feel free to drop me a PM so we don't clutter the DQ thread any further with networking stuff. :) Thanks!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'd be totally okay with the battle animations if they were more like Golden Sun and just played with the camera angles for "cinematicness".

Actually it'd be swell if all turn-based JRPGs took a hint or two from Golden Sun. Also: Rush Button.

Ricker

Guess no one really knows how far local works...oh well....

Also Ricki in Stornway,in the church wants me to do tricks for her,she wants a pirouette,a clap,a jump and an air punch...i set those up and all and do it right in front of her and nothing happens,the quest stays uncleared...am I missing something here? or do I need to do them like really fast or something?

gogojira

I've got a ton of game left ahead of me, but I'm really digging DQIX so far. After I put it away, anyone have a recommendation on which to play next? Preferably it'd be something easy to obtain and play, so I'm thinking about a DS remake or maybe going back to DQVIII on PS2.

GeekyDad

Ricker said:
Guess no one really knows how far local works...oh well....

I was under the assumption it worked basically like Pictochat, in that players had to be within proximity of the local WiFi signals. For DS Lite, I think the limit is 65 ft.

Ricker

GeekyDad said:
I was under the assumption it worked basically like Pictochat, in that players had to be within proximity of the local WiFi signals. For DS Lite, I think the limit is 65 ft.

Okay,that`s what I thought,no wonder i`m not getting any tags.

Himuro said:
Map them all to the down button.

Damn,now that you say that I read the quest better and she does say to map them on the same button,I had 1 on each direction button :lol ....thanks ;)

Big One

Banned
theMrCravens said:
Just finished the Gleeba quest line.

I can already imagine the number of people who won't know how to progress here, even though the NPCs tells you exactly what to do.
(the lizard "clap" thing)
Personally what threw me off is that one of the NPCs specifically tell you to try looking under the caverns of the castle since the lizard doesn't like warm climates with people in it. Took me forever till I figured out it was
on the left side of the castle under the shadow.

Himuro said:
This game is giving me withdrawals. When I'm not playing it, I'm thinking about all the possible skills I should go for and plan which ones I should aim for, I think about the various places where I can get loot for alchemy...I think about level all my characters to level 15 martial artist (done it with two so far).

And when I play it, I'll boot it up only to craft a few items for a few minutes and end up playing for an hour.

This game is a sickness. The portable format really makes it more addicting than it should be.
No kidding. Everyday at work I'm drifting off thinking about my gameplan when I get time to play it. I am REALLY enjoying this game.

ReiGun

Finally got to gamestop and picked up a copy. Loving the game so far, just have a question:
So I'm guessing that Patty's desk is where you go to make your other party members?

My main character, Phineas.

100715-150028.jpg

Aeana

Himuro said:
btw I can confirm that you can totally level up a low level character without grinding. I changed my warrior to a martial artist and went to the dungeon after Porth Llanmar or whatever, at level 7. Finished the dungeon with her topped out at level 12.

btw I thought that dungeon's boss would kill me. I still haven't had a game over yet. Good fight, but I'm probably severely underleveled.
I have been doing exactly this the entire game. No grinding whatsoever - simply changing classes and continuing on with the game. It's worked beautifully. The experience curve in the game is really kind.

Do Metal Slimes show up early on in this game? It didn't take my main hero very long at all to learn Metal Slash, and it would seem kind of pointless if they didn't give you something to use it on for awhile.

Aeana

nincompoop said:
Do Metal Slimes show up early on in this game? It didn't take my main hero very long at all to learn Metal Slash, and it would seem kind of pointless if they didn't give you something to use it on for awhile.
First place you can run into them is in the dungeon west of Coffinwell. Only a few hours in.

JKTrix

Haven't played this much in the last couple of days, but just picked it up again and got my boat. Totally worked that Bloomingdale boss with my new Gladiator. Crazy damage!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Aeana said:
First place you can run into them is in the dungeon west of Coffinwell. Only a few hours in.

do they still appear there after you've finished the dungeon?

Yaweee

levious said:
do they still appear there after you've finished the dungeon?

Yes. They're somewhat rare, though, so you might need to run loops around the place.

They can show up as the map icon, or with other monsters.

turnbuckle

Finally started playing last night and now have access to the DQVC shop. Unfortunately the game lost connection while I was trying to access it and now it's saying I have to wait until 8am tomorrow. Is there any way to get access to the shop without waiting? Is this a common problem that will probably happen again next time I'm able to access the store? I didn't want to read through the thread because i want to avoid spoilers.

Aeana

turnbuckle said:
Finally started playing last night and now have access to the DQVC shop. Unfortunately the game lost connection while I was trying to access it and now it's saying I have to wait until 8am tomorrow. Is there any way to get access to the shop without waiting? Is this a common problem that will probably happen again next time I'm able to access the store? I didn't want to read through the thread because i want to avoid spoilers.
The game instantly disconnects after downloading the store data. I assume that's what happened to you. If, when you go to the wifi shop, there are items to buy, then it did its job.

turnbuckle

Aeana said:
The game instantly disconnects after downloading the store data. I assume that's what happened to you. If, when you go to the wifi shop, there are items to buy, then it did its job.

Sellma says "Oh, what a shame. I don't seem to have DQVC's latest product information to hand at the moment. You'll have to connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to get it."

I try connecting to Nintendo Wi-Fi and it says I can only connect once a day and have to try again tomorrow after 8am. :(

seady

Just started the game not too long ago and I have accidently 'recruited' my first crews into my team.
It's kind of disappointing and very very awkward to just magically spring new members into the team with no explanation or backstory at all.

Other than that the game has been fun so far.

Aeana

turnbuckle said:
Sellma says "Oh, what a shame. I don't seem to have DQVC's latest product information to hand at the moment. You'll have to connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to get it."

I try connecting to Nintendo Wi-Fi and it says I can only connect once a day and have to try again tomorrow after 8am. :(
Hmm. Interesting. Some of us who connected today also weren't able to get any new items. Perhaps the same thing happened to us, but since we already had shop data from yesterday, we didn't realize it. :eek: Something must be wrong with the shop server.

Hex

Banned
seady said:
Just started the game not too long ago and I have accidently 'recruited' my first crews into my team.
It's kind of disappointing and very very awkward to just magically spring new members into the team with no explanation or backstory at all.

Other than that the game has been fun so far.

You are pretty much recruiting them at the adventurer's inn, it asks if you want to recruit and then asks what type you are looking for.
They do not just appear (though they do) ,think of it as using an employment agency if you have to.

Gravijah

Hex said:
You are pretty much recruiting them at the adventurer's inn, it asks if you want to recruit and then asks what type you are looking for.
They do not just appear (though they do) ,think of it as using an employment agency if you have to.

Also means you get to invent your own backstory, which is awesome. I've put like 8-9 hours in and I'm just now leaving the town with the big tree (name escapes me)... Jeez, I must be going really slow.

seady

Hex said:

Yeh I know, I am at the part where I just recruited a bunch of puppets... ah.. folks at the second inn in the game.
I was expecting people like Erinn or Stella as my members.

Aeana

Freyjadour said:
So, when does Fanny show up? I skipped on over in my boat after Gleeba and she isn't where the guide said she'd be. I need Hustle Dance noooooowwwwww.
Gleeba?
She's at Swinedimple Academy, second floor, and you have to complete the scenario there before she and the other weapon quest people show up.

zoku88

Did they just rip the ocean song straight from DQV? :lol :lol :lol

I don't care. It's actually my favorite traveling song across DQ's

Aeana

zoku88 said:
Did they just rip the ocean song straight from DQV? :lol :lol :lol

I don't care. It's actually my favorite traveling song across DQ's
4, not 5. But yes. It's very disappointing.

Aeana said:
Gleeba?
She's at Swinedimple Academy, second floor, and you have to complete the scenario there before she and the other weapon quest people show up.
Mirage Mahal place? I may be misremembering names. I knew she was at Swinedimple, but tried sailing up there after finishing Gleeba.

And boo, I was going for the Fist and Fan abilities asap. Story time it is.

Aeana

Freyjadour said:
Mirage Mahal place? I may be misremembering names. I knew she was at Swinedimple, but tried sailing up there after finishing Gleeba.

And boo, I was going for the Fist and Fan abilities asap. Story time it is.
You have to play a bit further still after that, too, because the final quest she asks you to do requires that you have the ultimate key. EDIT: Actually, I might be wrong; you might be able to make the item earlier. I didn't try.

Aeana

Freyjadour said:
:( Story obtained Key or particular quest?
I might be wrong about that, actually. Looking at the guide, you should be able to make/find the stuff you need without the ultimate key.

Aeana said:
I might be wrong about that, actually. Looking at the guide, you should be able to make/find the stuff you need without the ultimate key.
Well I'll make things difficult and try to do it as soon as she hands me the quest if it's possible. Thanks!

ReiGun

After four or so hours, I've finally turned the game off. Damn, you guys weren't kidding when you said how addicting it was. I've finally got to Coffinwell, which shouldn't really have taken that long, but I couldn't stop killing stuff, trying to get more skill points. :lol Took me awhile to figure out the obvious that you create your members at Patty's, so I ran around with the default dudes they give you. I could have stuck with them, but that seemed boring. So I made some new guys (or gals, rather) and went out to kill more stuff for even more skill points. Not that I really mind. The battles go so quick that it kind of encourages me to kill everything in sight.

New party members Enyo, Callisto, and Galatea (Warrior, Priest, and Mage respectively)

100715-171839.jpg

100715-171851.jpg

100715-171903.jpg

I should really go look for my camera. :lol

Top Bottom