• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Hex

Banned
Mejilan said:
Let me tell you why cheat codes can be so fucking awesome.
We've already established earlier in this thread that I won't have much in the way of tagging opportunities. I don't want to rehash that particular discussion. I'd also like to add since I've learned how the multiplayer works, suffice it to say that I won't ever be bothering with a mode in which 1-3 players will effectively be making no story progress, forcing them to essentially double-up on their questing.

Now, despite all this, after a bit of judicious cheat code toggling, my game now thinks that I've spent something like 999 hours in multiplayer, canvassed over 1,000 souls, and has awarded me all of the accolades, inn upgrades, and benefits that would normally go with such unrealistic (for North America, at least) achievements.

Additionally, I now have full access to Extra Quests 121-184, the 64 or so weeks of DLC quests that I don't particularly feel like waiting for. Granted, I cannot yet access them in-game since I have yet to even finish up the Stornway events, but at least I know that they're waiting for me!

But all of this pales to the ultimate in DQ9 cheat codes developments!
I now have the instant text code permanently enabled. No more waiting for the games incessantly slow text crawls. Each text box pops up instantly and waits for me to press whatever button best suits me!

Yay?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Anecdotal and all that but...

At least at my store it seems like this is doing a bit better than average. As of last night we had 3 copies left from our third shipment.

Thats about 10-12 copies sold in the store in a week alone. And yet we only had 2 preorders. Im thinking nintendo's advertising might be doing the trick. I would not be surprised (and honestly hope) to see this break the top 10 for the july NPD.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Er... what the hell? I can't find either grinades or rockbombs right now.. I've checked both their listed areas in the defeated monster list, but they aren't there? I even tried getting into random fights that don't have them displayed as the overworld sprite, nothing =/.

Edit: nm, found some grinades on the first floor! Now for 3 rockbomb shards.

ryan-ts

botticus said:
Can I hope for better rewards from treasure maps than new treasure maps at some point? That was kind of disappointing.

Yeah, I just went through a dungeon where there was not a single chest along the way, every enemy was weak including the boss.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Hrm... so I have a level 33 Monk who uses a fan (50skill points in fan) and I've come to the conclusion that I am not really digging the fan so much, and sort of want her to go claws.

Should I scrap her and make a new character? Or should I just... level up her other classes that I'll never use (priest/wizard etc) and save those skill points? I figure getting her priest and wizard to level 20 each wont take too much time, and that should net me around 75 skill points - would this be a viable option?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mejilan said:
Let me tell you why cheat codes can be so fucking awesome.
We've already established earlier in this thread that I won't have much in the way of tagging opportunities. I don't want to rehash that particular discussion. I'd also like to add since I've learned how the multiplayer works, suffice it to say that I won't ever be bothering with a mode in which 1-3 players will effectively be making no story progress, forcing them to essentially double-up on their questing.

Now, despite all this, after a bit of judicious cheat code toggling, my game now thinks that I've spent something like 999 hours in multiplayer, canvassed over 1,000 souls, and has awarded me all of the accolades, inn upgrades, and benefits that would normally go with such unrealistic (for North America, at least) achievements.

Additionally, I now have full access to Extra Quests 121-184, the 64 or so weeks of DLC quests that I don't particularly feel like waiting for. Granted, I cannot yet access them in-game since I have yet to even finish up the Stornway events, but at least I know that they're waiting for me!

But all of this pales to the ultimate in DQ9 cheat codes developments!
I now have the instant text code permanently enabled. No more waiting for the games incessantly slow text crawls. Each text box pops up instantly and waits for me to press whatever button best suits me!

You motherfucker.

So do the further legacy maps come from drops off the bosses like it seems on that dq9.org site or are they unlocked via the extra quests? I don't see too many extra quests in the guide that give a map, but I know someone said something about dq6's being unlocked recently in Japan.

Would be the most compelling reason for me to use those cheat codes to unlock that stuff.

Aeana

Freyjadour said:
So do the further legacy maps come from drops off the bosses like it seems on that dq9.org site or are they unlocked via the extra quests? I don't see too many extra quests in the guide that give a map, but I know someone said something about dq6's being unlocked recently in Japan.

Would be the most compelling reason for me to use those cheat codes to unlock that stuff.
I think you get them in order from the bosses. I got
"Murdaw's" (oh god) map from Baramos
last night.

Aeana said:
I think you get them in order from the bosses. I got
"Murdaw's" (oh god) map from Baramos
last night.
"Inviting? " is what that site shows (lol google translate). Drops after the previous boss reaches 16? Something like that. Makes a little more sense then.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Are there any abilities that'll grab the attention of enemies for a few turns or something? I try whistling, but it doesn't ever seem to have an effect - mind you, maybe that's because my tank is so slow it usually goes -after- all the enemies.

Kinitari said:
Are there any abilities that'll grab the attention of enemies for a few turns or something? I try whistling, but it doesn't ever seem to have an effect - mind you, maybe that's because my tank is so slow it usually goes -after- all the enemies.
I think Luminary (post game class) has an "all enemy taunt".

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Jtwo said:
What is the instant text box code?
Go to the NDS/TEMP section of cheats.gbatemp.net and download the newest database that pertains to your particular flashcart.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Aeana said:
Paladin's 100 point ability lets them take hits for everyone else in the party, which is kind of the same.

Perfect, I think I have about 45 points in my mains pally, so at least now I have something to aim for.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Aeana said:
Oops, make that 82 point ability, "Forbearance."

Even better.

edit: I think I've hunted these Metal Medleys to extinction =/ I don't see anymore!

edit2: Motherfu... I just came across 4 in a row, back to back first enemies I saw pop up after the last fight, and everyone of them ran off the bat :(.

Koomaster

Had 70,000 gold saved up, so thought I would do some shopping and update all my girl's outfits...

Sailor Scouts Assemble!
(Not really spoilerish, just a large picture)

My main party that I have been using regularly is Usagi, Haruka, Michiru and Ami.

Just created Setsuna and Hotaru today, so they are still level 1. Also none of the shops had anything I liked for Hotaru, so I will probably have to alchemize her some clothes. Kinda bummed that you can only create 8 characters, I was going to try to make Chibusa and Tuxedo Mask as well. :/

I'm 40hrs and 7 fyggs down in the story so far. Before I continue on, I have a full slate of quests that I think I will fulfill. Might be obvious to state, but I am loving this game! :D

Hyunkel6

Any tips for the "gladiator graduator" quest? The slimes keep running away before I'm "psyched up" to the max. Is there a spell/item that prevents enemies from fleeing?

Ceebs

Hyunkel6 said:
Any tips for the "gladiator graduator" quest? The slimes keep running away before I'm "psyched up" to the max. Is there a spell/item that prevents enemies from fleeing?
Try Snooze.

Gravijah

Victrix said:
I can't, does that help?

What does this even mean? Does every DQ game have the same feel when it comes to soundtracks (which isn't a bad thing) or are you saying you can't tell the difference between battle theme V, IX, IV, etc?

Gravijah said:
What does this even mean? Does every DQ game have the same feel when it comes to soundtracks (which isn't a bad thing) or are you saying you can't tell the difference between battle theme V, IX, IV, etc?

when I first heard 9's battle theme I thought it was lame... its growing on me now, although I still think it's one of the weakest.

still thats like calling a bar of silver weak in a pile of gold!

Hyunkel6 said:
Wow, I feel like an idiot now. Thanks.

Actually, War Cry is very effective for that task. When I was using it on slimes around Angel Falls, it was 100% effective for 3 rounds (used consecutively), which was hopefully enough time to hit 100 and pull of the strike...

Finally beat it. Took some grinding on other classes for stat boosts but now I have a lot of the classes in the mid 20s for later on all four of my chars. Gonna take a break for a few days and come back for the "real" game.

Also ended up buying the guide today too because there's a lot of ambiguous text with some of the quests and I like having a list of everything to look up in a book rather than in-game. It's really nice and has a lot of information on just about everything. Certainly one of the nicer guides I've seen lately.

Ravidrath

Anyone know where I'm supposed to find this monster with the ultimate Back Scratcher in Twyll Cavern? I went to the top expecting a new boss-ish thing or something, but nothing was there.

Also, is there a guide or map anywhere showing all the map locations? I got a treasure map #7 from my first run, and can't find a place that looks like that on my map.

Finally, anyone know how to complete this cat quest, "Help Meowt Here?" Had it in my list for a long time, and would like to make it go away.

zoku88

Ravidrath said:
Anyone know where I'm supposed to find this monster with the ultimate Back Scratcher in Twyll Cavern? I went to the top expecting a new boss-ish thing or something, but nothing was there.

Also, is there a guide or map anywhere showing all the map locations? I got a treasure map #7 from my first run, and can't find a place that looks like that on my map.

Finally, anyone know how to complete this cat quest, "Help Meowt Here?" Had it in my list for a long time, and would like to make it go away.
I think it's a random drop.

Can anyone give me advice for the quest for the ice feather thing from the Fan person? Ive been fighting monsters up north for a long time >_<

Aeana

zoku88 said:
I think it's a random drop.

Can anyone give me advice for the quest for the ice feather thing from the Fan person? Ive been fighting monsters up north for a long time >_<
Fight the purple bird things around the school. It'll eventually drop.

Hyunkel6 said:
You can also use coagulant. There's always tons of that outside Stornway.

Are there alchemy items that you don't get recipes for? I'm specifically thinking of birdsong nectar and a bolt of technicolor dreamcloth.

I tried mixing wakerobin and nectar for the birdsong nectar, but no luck. And I've tried a few things for the bolt, but no luck. I don't want to cheat and just start looking up recipes though.

Shoogoo

Shoogoo said:
Is there anything you can actually miss in this game? like somewhere you can't come back at some point etc

please?

Also, if I'm to leave for two weeks in a place that doesn't have Internet (oh noes) what should I print?

I don't have the game yet (EU), for anybody wondering.

zoku88

Aeana said:
I can't think of anything that's completely missable.
Btw, where are the metal slimes for this game? They're the ones I need to use wizard's ward against and then kill them, right? (the mage doesnt have to be the one that kills them, right?)

Ravidrath

zoku88 said:
Btw, where are the metal slimes for this game? They're the ones I need to use wizard's ward against and then kill them, right? (the mage doesnt have to be the one that kills them, right?)

Look around the mirror in the lower left corner of the Quarantomb. That's where I saw them spawn the most.

And, yes, the person that used Wizard Ward has to be the person that kills them. I recommend getting Wizard Ward on everyone - made it go very quickly for me.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I love Sloods. They have good stats and they look ridiculous and ridiculously awesome at the same time :lol

Gravijah

Time to try to unlock
Armamentalist
... Any tips?

Edit:
Requires using Wizard Ward and then killing a metal slime with that character, twice.

Instro

Ravidrath said:
Look around the mirror in the lower left corner of the Quarantomb. That's where I saw them spawn the most.

And, yes, the person that used Wizard Ward has to be the person that kills them. I recommend getting Wizard Ward on everyone - made it go very quickly for me.

Eh I didnt find it overly difficult to pull off with 1 character having Ward and Metal Slash.

B.K.

I died in my first battle with the Wight Knight. I guess I need to level my new party members enough so they can actually do some damage.

Instro

My DQVC had a Miracle Sword today btw, cost me most of my gold but its totally worth it. :D
Im definitely going to be checking that more often I kind of forgot about it for a couple days at first.

Im heading into Bad Cave soon, does anyone know what area the metal medleys are in?

Top Bottom