• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I currently have a Warrior, Priest, Martial Artist, and Mage/Wizard. How do I get my warrior to increase its tension?

jiggle

my god visible armor change is like a thing i've been dreaming off since i first opened up that map in dragon warrior II

Aeana

ULTROS! said:
I currently have a Warrior, Priest, Martial Artist, and Mage/Wizard. How do I get my warrior to increase its tension?
Switch him to martial artist and put 16 points into Focus to learn psyche up, and then switch back to warrior. :eek:

Einbroch

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Best way? Minstrel uses "Egg On" a few times on the Warrior. Your main character may already have it.

Or what Aeana said.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
speedpop said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of brilliance.

Actually I was listening to the soundtrack to a really old anime from 1981 that Sugiyama did the score to, and there was a song in there that used the Magic Carpet melody from DQ5 then slipped into Wagon's Wheel March from DQ4 so easily. It's quite interesting to see that (like Joe Hisaishi) he went back into his catalogue and pulled out these old tunes and reworked them into what they are now fondly remembered for.

Speaking of Hisaishi, he's composing for a game (Ninokuni PS3/DS). Can't wait to hear his stuff. :D

Yottamole

Banned
Aeana said:
DQ9 is easily one of his weaker works, to me, so if you ever give another DQ game a shot (like 5), hopefully you will be even more impressed.
Yeah, I was listening to DQ9's symphonic suite and found it...somewhat underwhelming. This review of the symphonic suite is pretty spot-on. My favorite of Sugiyama's DQ suites is VI.

Einbroch said:
Best way? Minstrel uses "Egg On" a few times on the Warrior. Your main character may already have it.

Or what Aeana said.

Wastes two character's turns unless they can egg on each other though. Not the best of options.

Einbroch

Banned
Freyjadour said:
Wastes two character's turns unless they can egg on each other though. Not the best of options.
I'm assuming he's doing it for the quest, but if not then it's not the best way.

I already had the ability by the time I got the quest, so leveling a MA to use an ability for a single quest was a waste of time.

ULTROS! said:
He's one of my favorite composers now. :D

THe world theme is beautiful and its stuck in my head.

he's heavily recycling the same music. i don't think many people can tell the difference between his soundtracks for DQ.

Yottamole

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
he's heavily recycling the same music. i don't think many people can tell the difference between his soundtracks for DQ.
Yeah, a lot of his music share some common motifs, but apart from the ones that are actually recycled (i.e. the flying theme from DQ3 reused in DQ8, boat theme from DQ4 in DQ9), each piece is still unique. I'm only talking about his symphonic suites, because of the strict classical structure of Dragon Quest's music, they sound so much better (and distinct) when performed by a live orchestra than in synth form.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Augemitbutter said:
i don't think many people can tell the difference between his soundtracks for DQ.
Those people must have difficulty in distinguishing music differences then.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Paladins are awesome. Of course I started dumping all my skill points in swords back when I was a minstrel and I've been metal farming all night. Fuck you, swords!

Metal Medleys where plentiful during the first hour. Later, not so much.

Stats:

Regulus: Armamentalist lv 3, Minstrel lv 19, Martial Artist lv 12, Warrior lv 28, Paladin lv 24
Idanea: Priest lv 34
Alicia: Gladiator lv 18, Martial Artist lv 33
Elizabet: Priest lv 4, Mage lv 34

Thirty hours in and I just finished Bloomingdale's arc. Marion... ;___;

1. Dammit! :lol Just when I thought I could take the Gooey Gear off the hero, I get the Slood instead. And it stacks! :lol Now my hero is the triple scoop slime. :lol

2. Ugh. Gladiator earns xp at 60% of the rate of the six standard classes. Any particular reason to go with an advanced class early then?

ACE 1991

I finally changed my vocation to warrior. Now, how do i build my tension up for the gladiator quest? His high does it need to be built? On second thought, I don't even really know what tension does in terms of game mechanics :lol Lastly, since I started back at level 1 after changing vocations, is there anyway to quickly level or do i just have to grind? Thanks!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
ACE 1991 said:
I finally changed my vocation to warrior. Now, how do i build my tension up for the gladiator quest? His high does it need to be built?

You learn the ability Psyche-Up from the Martial Artist vocation!

I think you need to get it to 100. You get Dragon Slash from swords so that's okay.

ACE 1991 said:
On second thought, I don't even really know what tension does in terms of game mechanics :lol Lastly, since I started back at level 1 after changing vocations, is there anyway to quickly level or do i just have to grind? Thanks!

Tension gives you an exponential boost for attack or some shit like that.

And for quickly leveling you can farm metal slimes in the Quarantomb.

Raw64life

Can you edit your party's appearance/name and stuff at any point after you make them? Haven't been able to play this much as I'm just getting to that now and as usual I'm spending way too much time thinking about what I want people to look like/be named/what class, which is one of the main reasons I don't like this method of getting a party together.

Instro

Crazymoogle said:
1. Dammit! :lol Just when I thought I could take the Gooey Gear off the hero, I get the Slood instead. And it stacks! :lol Now my hero is the triple scoop slime. :lol

2. Ugh. Gladiator earns xp at 60% of the rate of the six standard classes. Any particular reason to go with an advanced class early then?

I do kind of like a slime stack following me everywhere :lol

Also are you sure the Gladiator earns less XP? I switched on of my chars to that vocation earlier and didnt notice anything unusual outside of the normal experience difference that occurs because of level differences. In fact I leveled up the Gladiator with some other vocations on different chars at the same time and they all reached lvl 15 at the same time.

ULTROS!

Any easy way to get money? Currently at
Gleeba(?)

I just reached the part where you first encounter metal slimes. I grinded until level 18 and I noticed that the metal slimes don't seem to appear as often now.

How is the rate at which metal slimes spawn worked out? Is there a maximum level you reach where they stop appearing or become really rare?

ULTROS!

lucablight said:
I just reached the part where you first encounter metal slimes. I grinded until level 18 and I noticed that the metal slimes don't seem to appear as often now.

How is the rate at which metal slimes spawn worked out? Is there a maximum level you reach where they stop appearing or become really rare?

When you reach Level 15, they get less frequent.

ULTROS!

lucablight said:
Thanks. Do they ever completely disappear?

I'm not sure, but they definitely get rarer when you go level up past Level 15.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
ACE 1991 said:
I finally changed my vocation to warrior. Now, how do i build my tension up for the gladiator quest? His high does it need to be built? On second thought, I don't even really know what tension does in terms of game mechanics :lol Lastly, since I started back at level 1 after changing vocations, is there anyway to quickly level or do i just have to grind? Thanks!
Metal slimes is the solution to level up. And use egg on or psyche up to increase your tension. You'll know when your tension is max. Since your character goes all SSJ.:lol

Also i just unlocked the "Gladiator" vocation. And shit, i hate slimes so much now, getting psyched up + dragon slashing the slimes was some really tough work.:lol is gladiator a big upgrade over warriors?

speedpop said:
Those people must have difficulty in distinguishing music differences then.
I can sorta see where they are coming from if you are listening to the music off your shitty DS speakers. Headphones ftw.

john tv

Nice. I just canvassed my US self ("johntv") with my JP self (ジョン). It felt kinda Back to the Future-y, to be honest. When they met, they gave the following messages:

Ziyon (auto-romanized from ジョン, lol)
page1:
I'm from JPN. Pleased to meet you!

page2:
Hello! I'm from
Japan! Nice to
meet you!

えいご (they changed my name from "johntv" to "えいご" -- lit. "English")
ハロー! きみは 英語がはなせる?
英語がはなせれば せかいじゅうの
たくさんのひとと はなせるようになる!

English is, lit:
Hello! Can you speak English?
If you can speak English, you'll be able to talk to lots of people from all over the world!

2bpr0l.jpg

Wow, 260 guests canvassed! Most of us that have replied to this topic will never make it anywhere near that. Honestly, we'll be lucky to make it to even a tenth of that.

ryan-ts

Here's some links people may find useful:

This link contains a map with locations for where you can find stuff on the ground (Cowpat, Coagulant, etc)
http://dsmadness.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/emap.jpg

This link contains a completed guide as to what you can alchemize and what items you need to create each specific item.
http://www.ualberta.ca/~fqureshi/DQ9AlchemyRecipeGuide.txt

This link contains a list (pre-beating the game) of the items you can acquire from shops throughout the land.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/55627024

john tv

ShineALight said:
Wow, 260 guests canvassed! Most of us that have replied to this topic will never make it anywhere near that. Honestly, we'll be lucky to make it to even a tenth of that.
That's actually on the low side for Japan. I got like 100 of those in a two-day trip to Osaka. I know a few people (including, I think, jonnyram), who have over 1,000...

Stencil

Wow.

I just had the most epic battle.

I used my first treasure map, found it with no problem, it was right near Stornway. Granite Halls of Woe. Enemies were way below me, no problem, got to the boss
Equinox
and he started dishing it out. Coup-de-Grace after Coup-de-Grace, I won the battle when my last standing Warrior landed a critical hit with 4 hp left.

MechaX

Rpgmonkey said:
I feel battles in DQ9 move at about the same pace as battles in Persona 3 or 4 (well, maybe a bit slower). Blue Dragon might also be a somewhat comparable example, though it's battle flow is more like Final Fantasy than Dragon Quest.

The pacing in 9 is a little better than 8's. Attack animations usually aren't as drawn out, and if several enemies/allies are using normal attacks, the game usually tries to keep the camera movement to a minimum, unlike how 8 would switch the camera angle like 10 times in a single round, and almost every enemy had some fancy two-second long attack animation.

Phew, that's definitely a good thing (and P3/4 was for the most part, a lot faster than most JRPGs to begin with). Yeah, I think I'll take the plunge with this game tomorrow. I might be going in a little bit blind here, but hopefully this will satisfy my RPG crave for the moment.

Raw64life

Raw64life said:
Can you edit your party's appearance/name and stuff at any point after you make them? Haven't been able to play this much as I'm just getting to that now and as usual I'm spending way too much time thinking about what I want people to look like/be named/what class, which is one of the main reasons I don't like this method of getting a party together.

botticus

Raw64life said:
Nope, appearance (hair, eyes, etc) and name are locked in. You could always create new characters if you wanted to start over from scratch though.

Okay, shield blocking... is there a skill that forces this? Or do I have to battle for a few hours and wait for my people with 1-7.5% shield block to decide to block 10 times?

Einbroch

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Any easy way to get money? Currently at
Gleeba(?)
If you want a lot of gold and you have 20k+, there's a really easy way. Found this on GameFAQs. It involves using alchemy to make an Ear Cosy. Ear Cosys sell for 1.2k, but the materials can all be bought for 970g.

Fur Hood : Slurry Quay 550g
Bunny Tail : Porth Llaffan 240g
Lambswool : Batsureg 180g

Until that time, yeah, Gold Golems south of
Galeeb
are great.

JKTrix

Lafiel said:
Also i just unlocked the "Gladiator" vocation. And shit, i hate slimes so much now, getting psyched up + dragon slashing the slimes was some really tough work.:lol is gladiator a big upgrade over warriors?

Yes, especially once your Gladiator learns Double Up from the Guts line. So much damage. Once your Gladiator is Double'd and just one Egg On from your Celestrian, it can do more damage in one hit than your entire party likely could otherwise in two turns. At least that's the case with me.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Stencil said:
Wow.

I just had the most epic battle.

I used my first treasure map, found it with no problem, it was right near Stornway. Granite Halls of Woe. Enemies were way below me, no problem, got to the boss
Equinox
and he started dishing it out. Coup-de-Grace after Coup-de-Grace, I won the battle when my last standing Warrior landed a critical hit with 4 hp left.

Yeah I just got beat up by that boss last night =/. I'm glad I spent all but 4k before I went down that map - but now I feel as though I should 'grind' a bit? Or at least get my main character up higher, he's level 18, everyone else is level 28-32 (that's what I get for giving him like 4 jobs).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Let me tell you why cheat codes can be so fucking awesome.
We've already established earlier in this thread that I won't have much in the way of tagging opportunities. I don't want to rehash that particular discussion. I'd also like to add since I've learned how the multiplayer works, suffice it to say that I won't ever be bothering with a mode in which 1-3 players will effectively be making no story progress, forcing them to essentially double-up on their questing.

Now, despite all this, after a bit of judicious cheat code toggling, my game now thinks that I've spent something like 999 hours in multiplayer, canvassed over 1,000 souls, and has awarded me all of the accolades, inn upgrades, and benefits that would normally go with such unrealistic (for North America, at least) achievements.

Additionally, I now have full access to Extra Quests 121-184, the 64 or so weeks of DLC quests that I don't particularly feel like waiting for. Granted, I cannot yet access them in-game since I have yet to even finish up the Stornway events, but at least I know that they're waiting for me!

But all of this pales to the ultimate in DQ9 cheat codes developments!
I now have the instant text code permanently enabled. No more waiting for the games incessantly slow text crawls. Each text box pops up instantly and waits for me to press whatever button best suits me!

ryan-ts

Mejilan said:
Let me tell you why cheat codes can be so fucking awesome.
We've already established earlier in this thread that I won't have much in the way of tagging opportunities. I don't want to rehash that particular discussion. I'd also like to add since I've learned how the multiplayer works, suffice it to say that I won't ever be bothering with a mode in which 1-3 players will effectively be making no story progress, forcing them to essentially double-up on their questing.

Now, despite all this, after a bit of judicious cheat code toggling, my game now thinks that I've spent something like 999 hours in multiplayer, canvassed over 1,000 souls, and has awarded me all of the accolades, inn upgrades, and benefits that would normally go with such unrealistic (for North America, at least) achievements.

Additionally, I now have full access to Extra Quests 121-184, the 64 or so weeks of DLC quests that I don't particularly feel like waiting for. Granted, I cannot yet access them in-game since I have yet to even finish up the Stornway events, but at least I know that they're waiting for me!

But all of this pales to the ultimate in DQ9 cheat codes developments!
I now have the instant text code permanently enabled. No more waiting for the games incessantly slow text crawls. Each text box pops up instantly and waits for me to press whatever button best suits me!

Ahhh dude, you're such a badass.

Aeana

The most interesting DQ9 code I heard about was one that made your party disappear while walking around, so the slowdown would go away.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oooh. I saw that one on the list, but didn't quite understand the ramifications of it! I'll be hoping for one such code that merely eliminates the trailing characters however. That should serve the same purpose without being totally weird!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Hrm, how important are random quests? Most of the ones completed just gave me some real crappy rewards like... 1g or a new salute. But I just did the Panacea one, and I got a bunch of recipes! Should I be putting more effort into quests? I say this as I make a flame sword and try to decide which of my three level 20 vocations for my main I should level up for now (Paladin, Warrior and Gladiator).

Aeana

Mejilan said:
Oooh. I saw that one on the list, but didn't quite understand the ramifications of it! I'll be hoping for one such code that merely eliminates the trailing characters however. That should serve the same purpose without being totally weird!
I thought that's what it did, so you can only see the hero.

Top Bottom