• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

GaimeGuy said:
I love Sloods. They have good stats and they look ridiculous and ridiculously awesome at the same time :lol

Wear it with the Gooey Gear and you can basically look like you've come from Baskin Robbins. :lol

When does the ability to play maps unlock? I have one from DQVC but it's not available yet...

Jetku

Gravijah said:
Time to try to unlock
Armamentalist
... Any tips?

Edit:
Requires using Wizard Ward and then killing a metal slime with that character, twice.

Get the spell as a mage, switch to thief and level up sword until you get the metal slash attack (i forget the exact name). Turn 1, cast ward and defend with everyone else. Turns 2+, use the metal slash and defend with everyone else. My thief was level 10 when I did this. The slimes somehow didn't run easily (I was 2 for 2). Metal slash did 2 damage each time for me.

Ravidrath said:
Finally, anyone know how to complete this cat quest, "Help Meowt Here?" Had it in my list for a long time, and would like to make it go away.

Haven't tried it yet, but apparently you have to
talk to the cat while wearing Cat Ears?

Instro

Crazymoogle said:
Wear it with the Gooey Gear and you can basically look like you've come from Baskin Robbins. :lol

When does the ability to play maps unlock? I have one from DQVC but it's not available yet...

Zere Rocks, you will get a quest to bring a guy a special medicine and he will give you a treasure map. Once thats done there will be a treasure map option on the items menu.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Aeana said:
I thought that's what it did, so you can only see the hero.
Yep. I'm using that code as well now. It effectively removes the on-screen avatars for characters 2-4, restoring the game's framerate to optimal levels! Fantastic!

Though I haven't fully tested it, it might also effectively make those characters immune to environmental hazards.

Hex

Banned
Koomaster said:
Had 70,000 gold saved up, so thought I would do some shopping and update all my girl's outfits...

Sailor Scouts Assemble!
(Not really spoilerish, just a large picture)

My main party that I have been using regularly is Usagi, Hakuna, Michiru and Ami.

Just created Setsuna and Hotaru today, so they are still level 1. Also none of the shops had anything I liked for Hotaru, so I will probably have to alchemize her some clothes. Kinda bummed that you can only create 8 characters, I was going to try to make Chibusa and Tuxedo Mask as well. :/

I'm 40hrs and 7 fyggs down in the story so far. Before I continue on, I have a full slate of quests that I think I will fulfill. Might be obvious to state, but I am loving this game! :D

:lol That is fantastic

Instro said:
My DQVC had a Miracle Sword today btw, cost me most of my gold but its totally worth it. :D
Im definitely going to be checking that more often I kind of forgot about it for a couple days at first.

Im heading into Bad Cave soon, does anyone know what area the metal medleys are in?

They are about halfway through the cave. It is the open area where the enemy spawns change from the ones you fight at the entrance.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Probably already said in the JP import or earlier in the thread. But i think i figured out why the class system isn't like the previous games in that, your learned spells carry over. Because with the way you can switch classes on the fly, you could easily break the game if spells like say heal carried over, that and the added multi-player would make it very easy to break things.:lol

Gravijah

I AM NOW AN
ARMAMENTALIST
!

Switching my priest to mage and my mage to minstrel... Minstrel should be able to hold up fine as heals, right?

john tv

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Unlocking all that stuff right from the start feels like ruining the game to me...

BTW, odd thing I noticed last night when I was canvassing with myself -- text display is faster in the Japanese version. It's not just because the EN version is more wordy, either (though that's part of it) -- it also just genuinely displays slower. Dunno why they'd do that, but I wish there was an option to speed it up.

ACE 1991

Can someone tell me how to tackle the gladiator quest? I'm trying to turn my main, who is now a warrior, into one. How do I increase my tension? I picked up psyche up on my martial artist not realizing that I couldn't use the ability to buff other party members.

Gravijah

ACE 1991 said:
Can someone tell me how to tackle the gladiator quest? I'm trying to turn my main, who is now a warrior, into one. How do I increase my tension? I picked up psyche up on my martial artist not realizing that I couldn't use the ability to buff other party members.

You get egg on as either your main character or minstrel, I forget. You can use it to psyche up other people. Haven't done the gladiator quest yet.

zoku88

Ravidrath said:
Look around the mirror in the lower left corner of the Quarantomb. That's where I saw them spawn the most.

And, yes, the person that used Wizard Ward has to be the person that kills them. I recommend getting Wizard Ward on everyone - made it go very quickly for me.
Wait, doesn't that mean everyone has to change into a wizard?

Do people keep skills when they change classes or something?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
ACE 1991 said:
I'm not so sure how many skill points it requires, but you can always turn one of your characters into a minstrel and learn egg-on. Which is psyche-up except you can use it on other party members.

ACE 1991

Gravijah said:
You get egg on as either your main character or minstrel, I forget. You can use it to psyche up other people. Haven't done the gladiator quest yet.
I got it on my main, but I believe you get it almost immediatley as a minstrel. Should I create a minstrel just for egg on?

Edit: haha the post above me sugessted this just as I typed it. Looks like I'll make a minstrel, thank you!

butzopower

proud of his butz
ACE 1991 said:
Main character should have egg on, which will boost tension. You could use that, and psyche up 2 times each and most likely max out tension. What's hard is getting the slimes not to run, try using low (lvl >4) characters with very little equip.

Yaweee

Mejilan said:
Let me tell you why cheat codes can be so fucking awesome.
We've already established earlier in this thread that I won't have much in the way of tagging opportunities. I don't want to rehash that particular discussion. I'd also like to add since I've learned how the multiplayer works, suffice it to say that I won't ever be bothering with a mode in which 1-3 players will effectively be making no story progress, forcing them to essentially double-up on their questing.

Now, despite all this, after a bit of judicious cheat code toggling, my game now thinks that I've spent something like 999 hours in multiplayer, canvassed over 1,000 souls, and has awarded me all of the accolades, inn upgrades, and benefits that would normally go with such unrealistic (for North America, at least) achievements.

Additionally, I now have full access to Extra Quests 121-184, the 64 or so weeks of DLC quests that I don't particularly feel like waiting for. Granted, I cannot yet access them in-game since I have yet to even finish up the Stornway events, but at least I know that they're waiting for me!

But all of this pales to the ultimate in DQ9 cheat codes developments!
I now have the instant text code permanently enabled. No more waiting for the games incessantly slow text crawls. Each text box pops up instantly and waits for me to press whatever button best suits me!
Gyah, I need to get something like that working. The slow text speed is really hurting my enjoyment of the game. It's like a 1~2 second load time every single time I talk to an NPC.

botticus

I'm kinda curious how much variation there is between the various Fources. I've just guessed which one would be best against a certain boss and it's always had a pretty solid impact. Just used Gale against the boss of
the Bowhole
, added 100+ damage to my Warrior's attacks (~150 to 250 when Doubled Up).

And then my Priest just got a crit on my first encounter with a liquid metal slime.

I get all excited about the 45k I have in the bank and then I see that to get new weapons for my 4 people I'll have to spend 35k. Guess I won't be getting new armor for a bit.

bluemax

Banned
Gravijah said:
Time to try to unlock
Armamentalist
... Any tips?

Edit:
Requires using Wizard Ward and then killing a metal slime with that character, twice.

Have at least one character with metal slash, or even better have the character with Wizard Ward have metal slash. It's not really that hard, the person who uses wizard ward just has to get the last hit. Metal slimes have 3-4 HP I think.

Eteric Rice said:
Where can I get more lava lumps and royal soil? I need it for platinum gear. :|

Also, where do I get the Paladin quest?

The green mud dudes in the Gubliani Waterway are the best way to get Lava Lumps. I spent an hour or so stealing from them today and finished off all of the platinum, steel and gigasteel stuff I could do (except platinum armor because I haven't found the gold armor yet).

Paladin quest is given to you by a chick on the top of the Gubliani castle. I think you have to get the Fygg for the area first but I can't recall.

Seeds

You can create the gold mail by combining a silver mail (sold in bloomingdale), a gold bracer and a gold ring (both sold in Porth Llaffan).

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Hey what quest number is the (CLASS NAME SPOILER)
s a g e
?

Instro

Eteric Rice said:
Where can I get more lava lumps and royal soil? I need it for platinum gear. :|

Also, where do I get the Paladin quest?

Yeah both the lava lumps and royal soil spots on the map haven't been regenerating for me, looks like theres a monster that drops the lava but does anyone know what has royal soil?

Eteric Rice

Okay, I just
Turned the girl back into a doll and got the ship.

What do I do now? :| I've literally seen no hint, lol.

[/spoiler]And what about Zere Rocks, I went up there and got the treasure map... But other than that it seems the place is pointless, which sucks because I want to know the story behind that shit. lol[/spoiler]

Aeana

zigg said:
Out of curiosity, is there ever an opportunity to change your main character's name or appearance?
Nosir.

Eteric Rice said:
Okay, I just

Head to the desert island to the north, in the centerish of the map: Gleeba.

Koomaster

butzopower said:
Main character should have egg on, which will boost tension. You could use that, and psyche up 2 times each and most likely max out tension. What's hard is getting the slimes not to run, try using low (lvl >4) characters with very little equip.
I did it with the slimes outside of Bloomingdale, they never run, always call for back-up. The trick is having members in your party which can perform crowd control. Either a whip/boomerang/group spell that attacks the whole lot of them.

At the end of each round you'll probably want to get them down to only 3 or 4 left. Any more than that and you risk their population running out of control. The start of the next round they all call for back-up. So 4 will become 8. Once the screen fills with slimes they combine to form a King Slime, which means you can't complete the quest.

Might take a bit of practice, but I think it's easier than the slimes that run away.

ryan-ts

Eteric Rice said:
Okay, I just

Check the lighthouse using the ship, it's right beside the town. You'll find your hint.

botticus

Eteric Rice said:
Okay, I just

And what about Zere Rocks, I went up there and got the treasure map... But other than that it seems the place is pointless, which sucks because I want to know the story behind that shit. lol
Second spoiler:
You should get some scenes after going into one of the houses, and a boss fight.

I decided to give this game a shot for some bizarre reason (not a JRPG fan, never touched a Dragon Quest prior to this). Picked it up this morning and actually ran my DS battery dry. That's never happened.

I feel like an asian schoolboy, and it feels good man.

Aeana

Eteric Rice said:
Um, guys, my ship isn't where I parked it (the dock in Bloomingdale).

OhgodIhopeIdidntbugthegameout.
There's a dot for your ship on the world map. It moves with you any time you use zoom.

Aeana

Eteric Rice said:
Not seeing the desert island. Or at least, seeing a place that looks like a desert.
It's east of the landmass with Alltrades Abbey on it. It's actually fairly large, so I probably shouldn't have called it an island per se.

Koomaster

Aeana said:
It's east of the landmass with Alltrades Abbey on it. It's actually fairly large, so I probably shouldn't have called it an island per se.
I somehow missed this myself; ended up sailing straight north at the top of the world circling around some mountains and eventually ended up at
Swinedimples
- which from what I'm reading now was all sorts of backwards. The bosses got a lot easier afterwards tho. :lol

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Beated the game today and it was such a great 45 hour adventure!! I still have some dragon quest fever in me and I never played Dragon Quest 8 before. I'll stop by EBgames tomorrow to check to see if they have it...not sure if I'll try out 7. I heard 7 was very steep and difficult

Eteric Rice

Okay, so I just changed my Thief into a Mage because really, having two melee dps seems pointless (Martial Artist and Thief).

And since I've gone out into the sea I notice a lot of shit spawns at one time, so I think I'll need it.

Maybe I should change my priest into mage instead? : /

SteveO409 said:
Beated the game today and it was such a great 45 hour adventure!! I still have some dragon quest fever in me and I never played Dragon Quest 8 before. I'll stop by EBgames tomorrow to check to see if they have it...not sure if I'll try out 7. I heard 7 was very steep and difficult
Have you played 4 and 5 already?

Top Bottom