• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Einbroch

Banned
Can't...stop...playing.

ryan-ts said:
I was very confident as the battle started with my warrior (Forlan)getting 1000 hits with the use of my spells, my priest is healing like he's never healed before and I thought it would only be a matter of time before I won. Unfortunately, things don't go quite as I planned as the boss slowly takes out three of my four members but not before my Mage (Mia)

What, did you name your characters after football/soccer players? :lol :lol

Fewr

Bentendo said:
Spinfrog.gif
Woohoo! Just got the Zoom ability
LuigiDance.gif
I love that frog.

Link Man

Banned
You know what I love about the camera system? If an enemy causes one of your characters to dance, you can see them dancing in the background during your other character's turns.

Gravijah

Close to finally unlocking vocation changes (shh, I like taking my time!)... Question: Is it safe to be running around as level 1s in the new class or should I be grinding them up closer to what my other job levels are? Stat gains unrelated to skills don't carry over, right? Though I guess better armor/weapons makes it not so bad...

Aeana

Gravijah said:
Close to finally unlocking vocation changes (shh, I like taking my time!)... Question: Is it safe to be running around as level 1s in the new class or should I be grinding them up closer to what my other job levels are? Stat gains unrelated to skills don't carry over, right? Though I guess better armor/weapons makes it not so bad...
No need to grind, unless you happened to change everybody's class and everybody's at level 1 I guess. I'd change one or two people at a time and just continued on with the game, and they caught up fairly quickly.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
When I change vocation for the first time, I tend to hit up a metal slime just to get them off level 1 and off to a decent start. After that first kill, I move on. The gear will usually be sufficient enough to keep them afloat as you continue through the game.

Eteric Rice

Good news everyone! My local Gamestop seems to be sold out of Dragon Quest IX.

Yeah, I know, ancedotal evidence and all, but I thought it was a good things. :D

Anyway, what do you guys think? Should a fighter use fisticuffs, staff, or claws? I'm looking at the fist weapons at the moment because of that ATK + 60 at the end of the points thing.

What to do what to do!

Koomaster

Aeana said:
No need to grind, unless you happened to change everybody's class and everybody's at level 1 I guess. I'd change one or two people at a time and just continued on with the game, and they caught up fairly quickly.
Yeah, there is no need to grind in this game unless you are starting your full party over with new jobs at level 1 at the same time.

Do quests, traverse dungeons, you'll earn up the exp before you know it.

Gravijah

Thanks guys. Aeana, do you think we're going to get Joker 2 over here? I played a good portion of the original and enjoyed it, seems like it sold OK to boot.

JimboJones

Just wondering about the multiplayer mode in this but what happens to the party members you already have, you know the ones you meet along the way in single player.

Do they just get replaced and gain 0exp as you play with your friends?

Gravijah

JimboJones said:
Just wondering about the multiplayer mode in this but what happens to the party members you already have, you know the ones you meet along the way in single player.

Do they just get replaced and gain 0exp as you play with your friends?

They get moved into the 8 backup slots you have.

Aeana

Gravijah said:
Thanks guys. Aeana, do you think we're going to get Joker 2 over here? I played a good portion of the original and enjoyed it, seems like it sold OK to boot.
Word is that, yes, Joker 2 is coming. I don't know why... the first one tanked. But yeah.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So far really enjoying this game, just got past the town with
the spoiled Arabian-esque princess
. Where I am right now, I feel as though I can do some wandering, but I also worry that I might over-explore, and start to lose interest.

Mostly though, I wish I had a better grasp of alchemy, I occasionally do make an item through alchemy, but considering how many things there are available to make that are substantially better than what I have, I should be more focused. It's just kind of hard finding the right items though.

I also just realized that if I level up one class with a character, the bonuses in the class-specific skill tree carry over, which is redonk - and it makes me want to have all my characters leveled up at least a few levels in similar classes (ie. my healer could probably benefit from leveling up as a wizard) - I am just not sure what the relationship is - could I have a priest that casts frizzle? I also don't really know what to do with my main char - I wanted to basically make a sword and shield paladin, only to find out paladins don't use swords, so I figure I might level him up as a paladin and focus on the class specific tree, level him up as a gladiator and get some of the class bonuses from that too, and just settle him in fighter or minstrel.

This game is new, and there aren't too many guides, but... it doesn't really feel like I -need- a guide, my biggest hurdle is still my alchemy, I need to get on that. Oh, is there any way to make it so stealing doesn't suck balls?

Gravijah

Kinitari said:
I also just realized that if I level up one class with a character, the bonuses in the class-specific skill tree carry over, which is redonk - and it makes me want to have all my characters leveled up at least a few levels in similar classes (ie. my healer could probably benefit from leveling up as a wizard) - I am just not sure what the relationship is - could I have a priest that casts frizzle? I also don't really know what to do with my main char - I wanted to basically make a sword and shield paladin, only to find out paladins don't use swords, so I figure I might level him up as a paladin and focus on the class specific tree, level him up as a gladiator and get some of the class bonuses from that too, and just settle him in fighter or minstrel.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22400527&postcount=2443

That post should help a lot regarding skills.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Gravijah said:

Woah super helpful, thanks! Sucks that spells don't carry over, but I guess that would break the game :(. Still, grinding in some completely unrelated class to get the skill points? Oh man, I feel as though I can get a bit too into this.

Also, does getting my sword up to level 100 mean I can have any of my classes use a sword? Awesome!

Gravijah

Kinitari said:
Woah super helpful, thanks! Sucks that spells don't carry over, but I guess that would break the game :(. Still, grinding in some completely unrelated class to get the skill points? Oh man, I feel as though I can get a bit too into this.

Also, does getting my sword up to level 100 mean I can have any of my classes use a sword? Awesome!

Yep, it does!

Forkball

I just need to get past this one area before I can change classes, finally.

Also, am I the only one that didn't notice the IX in the logo is made out of pillars?
dragon-quest-ix-logo.jpg

Gravijah

Forkball said:
I just need to get past this one area before I can change classes, finally.

Also, am I the only one that didn't notice the IX in the logo is made out of pillars?
dragon-quest-ix-logo.jpg

Speaking of, did anyone notice the tiny Square-Enix logo on the top right corner of the box? :lol In such an odd place.

Forkball

Gravijah said:
Speaking of, did anyone notice the tiny Square-Enix logo on the top right corner of the box? :lol In such an odd place.
Yeah, at first I thought Square-Enix wasn't mentioned anywhere on the box until I found it. It's like Nintendo bitchslapped Squeenix and took their game.

Eteric Rice

Claws it is!

What about a minstrel? I'm kind of surprised they don't have like... A banjo to beat people with or something. Aren't they musical folk?

Gravijah

Eteric Rice said:
Claws it is!

What about a minstrel? I'm kind of surprised they don't have like... A banjo to beat people with or something. Aren't they musical folk?

My main (who is minstrel, and who will be becoming a warrior) is using swords. I have a mage who is using whips and at some point will be going minstrel for a while, too.

carlos

semi related question: does anyone think that the new DQ battle victory road on the Wii will be brought over to the US or Europe?
I'm debating whether to import it...and if I try it, would it be too text heavy?

Game came out a few days ago, but I have seen no impressions so far

rpmurphy

Kinitari said:
So far really enjoying this game, just got past the town with
the spoiled Arabian-esque princess
. Where I am right now, I feel as though I can do some wandering, but I also worry that I might over-explore, and start to lose interest.

Mostly though, I wish I had a better grasp of alchemy, I occasionally do make an item through alchemy, but considering how many things there are available to make that are substantially better than what I have, I should be more focused. It's just kind of hard finding the right items though.

This game is new, and there aren't too many guides, but... it doesn't really feel like I -need- a guide, my biggest hurdle is still my alchemy, I need to get on that. Oh, is there any way to make it so stealing doesn't suck balls?
Spells don't carry over, but skills do. Omnivocational allows you to wield that weapon type for any class. So you could have a sword and shield paladin if you level up sword skill all the way up.

For stealing, I find it a lot less frustrating to not force it. Just have your thief steal and let the rest of the party carry on with attacks. The quantity of battles make up for not getting an item every battle, plus the gold and experience.

Gravijah

rpmurphy said:
Spells don't carry over, but skills do. Omnivocational allows you to wield that weapon type for any class. So you could have a sword and shield paladin if you level up sword skill all the way up.

For stealing, I find it a lot less frustrating to not force it. Just have your thief steal and let the rest of the party carry on with attacks. The quantity of battles make up for not getting an item every battle, plus the gold and experience.

Yeah, I steal every turn with my thief.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
This game is sooooo good. I've been waiting for a game like this for so long on DS. I've never played another Dragon Quest, this is my first. I love having visual changes to my armor and weapons. May seem nitpicky, but it's important to me. And character customization :D

zoku88

I'm kinda disappointed that the Battle Fork in this game doesn't actually look like a very big kitchen fork, like it did in Dragon Quest VIII :lol

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Damn it... I just got like 2 dozen new recipes, so I predict I will spend the next 45min-2hr finding materials for this crap. WHY! Speaking of, anyone know where I can buy the 'light shield'?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Pretty funny that monsters get enthralled when they see you.

I really like the music in this game, who composed it and is he the main composer of all the DQ games?

Aeana

ULTROS! said:
Pretty funny that monsters get enthralled when they see you.

I really like the music in this game, who composed it and is he the main composer of all the DQ games?
Koichi Sugiyama composes the music for every DQ game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
He's one of my favorite composers now. :D

THe world theme is beautiful and its stuck in my head.

Aeana

DQ9 is easily one of his weaker works, to me, so if you ever give another DQ game a shot (like 5), hopefully you will be even more impressed.

Kuraine said:
I definitely need to figure out what to do with my fourth slot, because seriously that guy just doesn't do anything in combat other than whiff, spend mana, or cast Accelerate for bosses :lol

This is the exact opposite of my mage, who is by far the strongest party member. A cast of crackle and things die. I've also pumped so much Skill points into Staff she's run out of MP exactly once.

botticus

Eteric Rice said:
Okay, so there's a Miracle Sword for sale on the VC for 18500G, should I grind teh golds and buy it?
Yeah, it's still quite a bit better than anything I can make or buy after 30+ hours.

Looks like I did a couple things out of order as the second was far easier than the first. But 7 fyggs, woo.

Aeana said:
Cool, I got the boots already.

Started down the spiral of Treasure Map dungeoning tonight. How long did it take you to find one of the Legacy Maps? And is there any resource to understand what levels
the legacy bosses give the legacy gear?

Just a note for accolade collectors, make sure your keeping track of your Battle Victories stat.

The Happy-Go-Lucky accolade is earned by checking the Battle Records menu when you have a Battle Victories stat made up of only consecutive number. (ex. 555, 777, 2222, etc.) I'm not sure if you can get it with double digit numbers.

Once you get into the four digit Battle Victory numbers it'll be a lot harder to come by.

I've read that it can be unlocked by having consecutive numbers in your Play Time stat too, and possibly the other stats on the top screen of the Battle Records menu but I can't confirm that.

Aeana

Freyjadour said:
Started down the spiral of Treasure Map dungeoning tonight. How long did it take you to find one of the Legacy Maps? And is there any resource to understand what levels
the legacy bosses give the legacy gear?
I got one as a reward from the quest on the northeast island.

As for your second question I've been checking this page, but it's in Japanese.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
ULTROS! said:
He's one of my favorite composers now. :D

THe world theme is beautiful and its stuck in my head.
Welcome to the wonderful world of brilliance.

Actually I was listening to the soundtrack to a really old anime from 1981 that Sugiyama did the score to, and there was a song in there that used the Magic Carpet melody from DQ5 then slipped into Wagon's Wheel March from DQ4 so easily. It's quite interesting to see that (like Joe Hisaishi) he went back into his catalogue and pulled out these old tunes and reworked them into what they are now fondly remembered for.

Top Bottom