• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Hobbun said:
I am about 5 hours in and just got to
Stornway and have recruited my party
and am raising some levels and getting some gold for equipment before I go on. I am really enjoying the game so far.

I hope you start to get more skill points later on than 3 as I am one who likes to get most of my skills maxed. And granted there are a lot of weapon skills that overlap, the skill trees that are unique to each class eat up a lot of points on their own.

How did you do that? Is that an option in the game or did you have to do so through some other means?
Cheats. See Meij's posts a page or two back.

Gravijah said:
Are you guys people who usually notice framerate issues? Did you guys notice 'em in Shadow of the Colossus? :lol
They didn't bother me that much until I saw what a world without them was like. It's so much smoother with an invisible party.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Gravijah said:
Not using any of the "advanced" (not sure if they are actually advanced) weapons on any of my characters... Hope they aren't superior!
Sages get Kerzing and the ability to change vocations on the go.

Superior!

botticus

Eteric Rice said:
I think I found the desert place, but I don't see a spot to dock my boat. :|
Just need to roam against the shore and eventually you'll get a prompt to disembark. I'm guessing there's some better way to identify a landing spot, but it works.

Gravijah said:
Speaking of slimes, I got so angry last night using the ones outside the abbey to unlock
gladiator
... I would keep getting the kind that stack into three instead of the the ones that forever call more. After an hour or so I got it, but it was so frustrating.
This quest was easy right outside the first town where slimes spawn on their own.

Edgeward

Can only land on docks or beach shores. It's pretty straightforward since almost any other place is covered with rocks. It's just getting the icon to pop up can be a bit finnicky.
Edit: My mistake, I couldn't seem to land on any besides those in my few instances. =\

I wanna go a max out one of the new weapon skills but I already maxed the spear and it'll seem like a waste at this point in my min/maxing mind. =\

For the quests of giving the old man someting hot and a thief something snug/warm (quest snug as a thug?) what do I need to give them? Both are atthe theives town.

I didn't want to chance them running away, and I didn't want to change everyone to level 1.

I only had to change the person who was gona do the tension/dragon slash to level 1, everyone else was between 17-23. War Cry with a higher level works on it 90% of the time, the rest was covered with sleep and confusion spells. Slime in the first town never ran away for me.

Gravijah said:
I didn't want to chance them running away, and I didn't want to change everyone to level 1. :lol
Someone suggested coagulant earlier in the thread, which is why I suggest it now. You go to the first area. Get a slime. Throw some coagulant on it. That gives you enough time to raise your tension to 100 and dragon slash before he can move again.

I also had someone psych up while someone else used Egg On.

I know people complain about wasting turns, but I find the decrease in time to getting to 100 tension is worth it.

I mean, if I have two guys that deal 100 damage normally. Then if one guy is attacking and the other is psyching up, then by turn 5, about 1100 damage has been done -- if we assume that the 100 tension attack does 600 damage. If both psych up one person, then by turn 5, 1200 is done by turn 4. And if they both just attack on turn 5 then that's 1400 in 5 turns. The numbers show that using two people is smarter than using 1.

To summarize:
1 Person Psyching Up & 1 Person Attacking -- 1100 / 5 turns
1 Person Psyching Up & 1 Person Egging On -- 1400 / 5 turns

Gravijah

Duane Cunningham said:
What's this about quests appearing in the DQVC? I've had it unlocked for a couple of days, and so far it's just been items.

Gotta be further into the game, you'll get the quests unlocked still though, you just can't do 'em yet.

Forkball

Is the Miracle Sword worth it? I got it on my DQVC, but it's pretty damn expensive. I don't want to come across more powerful sword pretty soon
I just crossed the ocean after beating Lleviathan

As for the gladiator quest, it was annoying but I figured it out. It's going to be really easy or really difficult depending on your party's classes. You need a Martial Artist with War Cry (whcih it learns early one), and a character that can use swords (to learn Dragon Slash) that ISN'T your main character. Have your main character use Egg On on the sword guy, and your martial artist use War Cry. The slime will be too scared to run away. Keep doing this until your sword character gets to high tension, and use dragon slash. I actually had to make a thief and grind her until she learned Dragon Slash.

On a side note, I wish Egg On or Psyche up affected more characters. I might switch my mage to a minstrel to learn Egg On since I use her for a support character in big battles, and I don't want to waste turns with my gladiator using Egg On on other, weaker characters.

Gravijah

Forkball said:
Is the Miracle Sword worth it? I got it on my DQVC, but it's pretty damn expensive. I don't want to come across more powerful sword pretty soon
I just crossed the ocean after beating Lleviathan

As for the gladiator quest, it was annoying but I figured it out. It's going to be really easy or really difficult depending on your party's classes. You need a Martial Artist with War Cry (whcih it learns early one), and a character that can use swords (to learn Dragon Slash) that ISN'T your main character. Have your main character use Egg On on the sword guy, and your martial artist use War Cry. The slime will be too scared to run away. Keep doing this until your sword character gets to high tension, and use dragon slash. I actually had to make a thief and grind her until she learned Dragon Slash.

On a side note, I wish Egg On or Psyche up affected more characters. I might switch my mage to a minstrel to learn Egg On since I use her for a support character in big battles, and I don't want to waste turns with my gladiator using Egg On on other, weaker characters.

Pretty sure you won't find a better sword for a while... I'm right where you are and grinding to buy the MS myself. Plus you can upgrade it into the Über miracle sword through alchemy.

Rpgmonkey

Is it just me or is the Uber Falcon Blade like...REALLY strong in this game?

Increase Attack Power+Falcon Slash+Maxed Sword Skills easily pulls off like 500-600 damage for me. Add in Super High Tension and I'm sure I could pull off 1600, but so far nothing's lived through the attack long enough to get there. :lol

Was it this crazy in VIII too? I don't remember.

Mr. Wonderful said:
-The Alchemy Pot is in a fixed location, rather than always in your menu system. What's up with that decision?

On the other hand, DQVIII had it accessible in your menu, but the more advanced items took FOREVER.

I assume they saw this as an appropriate "tradeoff".

...I'd still rather have it in the menu with items made instantly. :p

Gravijah said:
Are you guys people who usually notice framerate issues? Did you guys notice 'em in Shadow of the Colossus? :lol

I only notice changes in framerate when there's a big enough dip or climb in numerous situations (like a dip in a town/dungeon, but it's fine on the worldmap). Which...this game has unfortunately. :lol

botticus

Gravijah said:
Pretty sure you won't find a better sword for a while... I'm right where you are and grinding to buy the MS myself. Plus you can upgrade it into the Über miracle sword through alchemy.
From where you guys are I'd wager the sword will last you a good 20 hours, assuming you're not blitzing through the story.

I wish I didn't have to reboot the router at work to change between WEP and WPA, I always think I'm going to forget to check the store when I get home.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Can someone please summarize where the optimal metal slime farming spot is in that tomb during the Coffintown story arc? Searching from my mobile is proving both frustrating and fruitless. Thanks!

Gravijah

Mejilan said:
Can someone please summarize where the optimal metal slime farming spot is in that tomb during the Coffintown story arc? Searching from my mobile is proving both frustrating and fruitless. Thanks!

I was unaware there was a cheap farming spot there, I just run around... I thought the place you could "run in place" was for metal bubbleslime or something?

Aeana said:
I used the far left hallway, just running up and down while I was doing the armamentalist quest. I didn't really have a reason to find a better method since I left after that. Someone else mentioned standing by one of the mirrors and waiting for stuff to spawn/walk away until a metal slime spawned, but I never tried it.

Yeah, I run up and down the left hallways too. Honestly, that seems like it would be faster than standing near a mirror.

Aeana

Mejilan said:
I used the far left hallway, just running up and down while I was doing the armamentalist quest. I didn't really have a reason to find a better method since I left after that. Someone else mentioned standing by one of the mirrors and waiting for stuff to spawn/walk away until a metal slime spawned, but I never tried it.

wrowa

Gravijah said:
I don't have big problems with framerate issues normally, but I can't even imagine that there are persons who don't notice the slowdowns DQIX has in some cities. They really are annoying and it remains a mystery to me why there's no option do disable the party. Seeing every party member isn't necessary in any way and not worth the technical issues it brings with it.

Gravijah

methos75 said:
Two quick spoiler like questions, when and where can I access the Alltrades Abby and when does the DQVC open up?

[.spoiler]texthere[./spoiler] (minus the periods) when you think something is spoilery, even minor! Where are you currently in the story?

Gravijah

methos75 said:
I just beat the Wright Knight and got to Coffintown

When you finish
Coffinwell, you have a few story things to do, then you'll be sent to the abbey IIRC... But you've gotta do something before you can change vocations
. Should have access to the DQVC soon.

Hyunkel6

Aeana said:

What was your strategy for the quest? I'm thinking of using War Cry and Snooze to prevent them from fleeing?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Can't really remember, but which vocation skill trees should I focus on if I want to get my main characters base agility higher? He is ALWAYS last, behind even the slowest enemies, it's getting to me :(.

Hyunkel6 said:
What was your strategy for the quest? I'm thinking of using War Cry and Snooze to prevent them from fleeing?

War Cry and snooze rarely work, your time is better invested in attacking. If you can get attacks that hit multiple times, or have a chance to one hit KO, big bonus. Other than that, Metal Slash and Miss or Crit attacks are ideal.

With me and metal Medleys I do that nail swipe thingy (4 hits), rain of arrow thingy (4 hits), metal slash and a regular slash.

Gravijah said:
Gotta be further into the game, you'll get the quests unlocked still though, you just can't do 'em yet.

Ah, got it. thanks.

Quick question about the (class)
ranger
quest:

When you
poison the three hocus chimeras, does it have to be in one battle?

Also, regarding the class in question, is it kind of an extension of
thief? Does ranger retain thief's high deftness? Should I level my thief way up and gain all her thief abilities before changing her over?

Gravijah

Duane Cunningham said:
Ah, got it. thanks.

ranger
quest:

When you

thief? Does ranger retain thief's high deftness? Should I level my thief way up and gain all her thief abilities before changing her over?

I'm nowhere near where you are yet, but based on prior class quests you probably don't have to
poison them all in one battle. I'd re-read the quest text a few times to make sure.

Pangya

I convinced my sister to start playing the game too. She just made her party and was telling me she needed money to outfit her party... so I let her hop in my world and we farmed gold golems for a while. Multiplayer is really neat... I wonder if it would have even been possible to have it over Wi-Fi.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Duane Cunningham said:
Ah, got it. thanks.

ranger
quest:

When you
No it doesn't.

Hmm, I am not an expert so this is hard for me to really say, but it doesn't really feel like an extension of the class, although some of the abilities that carry over kind of compliment it. I think the big focus with the class is the new weapons.

Aeana

Duane Cunningham said:
Ranger has the highest deftness of all of the classes, but it doesn't share any weapons with thief. Kind of crappy, since otherwise it would be a perfect upgrade.

Top Bottom