• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Gravijah

QuiteWhittle said:
He's trying to get that Happy-Go-Lucky accolade, I think.

Yeah, that's it.

Does anybody know which is better out of Sacred Claws and Steel Claws?

Oli said:
Picking this up later today.

Any advice before I jump in? Or should I just go in fresh and blind?

Do a bit of planning ahead on what you want your group to be and you should be fine.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Oli said:
Picking this up later today.

Any advice before I jump in? Or should I just go in fresh and blind?

Make sure you spend your skill points on your main carefully, any other character can eventually be replaced if you mess it up too badly - as far as I know, your main cant. Class-specific skill trees are almost always a safe bet.

And holy shit!!!! I have TWO metal Medleys in one encounter, I haven't worked up the balls to actually attack yet - I am going to cross my fingers and hope that I can take them both out, I can't afford to do raining arrows, but I will try the maybe 1hit KO arrow shot.

Gravijah

Oli said:
Any advice on a good balanced party to start with? I've never played a DQ game before.

Minstrel/Priest/Mage/Thief is what I went with.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22400527&postcount=2443 There is a helpful post on skills. Also, remember when you put 100 skill points into a weapon, you can use it across ALL classes for that character.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/faqs/57178 There is a skill guide, but keep in mind it's Japanese and I wouldn't go there if you are super sensitive to minor spoilers like advanced jobs.

Gravijah

Lost Fragment said:
Armamentalist quest made me want to punch something. But I finally got it...after caving and giving all my peeps wizard ward.

I violently shook my DS every time 3 slimes stacked into one while doing the
Gladiator
quest line. :lol

Gravijah

Aeana said:
So don't do it!

But it's so fuuuun! Haha, not so much. I've actually been spending hours making new alchemy recipes, grinding for that sword and such. One of my favorite parts of the game is getting new stuff, but I'm a loot whore at heart.

26 hours and I'm just now about to head to the
boat that crosses the ocean.

rpmurphy said:
Do you re-encounter any of the main story bosses in optional or post-game stuff, or are they one time only? I just started doing Eye for Trouble on every monster and realized I should have gotten a thief earlier in the game. :(

What does Eye for Trouble do? I don't think you can steal from bosses, eitherway, unless Eye for Trouble does something special.

rpmurphy

Do you re-encounter any of the main story bosses in optional or post-game stuff, or are they one time only? I just started doing Eye for Trouble on every monster and realized I should have gotten a thief earlier in the game. :(

Hobbun

How important is a Thief? He seems more useful as a utility character than one for combat. I went with Minstrel/Priest/Mage/Martial Artist instead.

Would it be better to switch out the MA with a Thief?

Or is the stealing alone during combat worthwhile to have Thief over Martial Artist?

QuiteWhittle said:
Ugh, skill point grinding is so boring. Ugh.
I find it more fun just to play. Do quests, maps, story, get ingredients for your pot. As long as I'm doing something the skill points seem to follow.

rpmurphy

Hobbun said:
How important is a Thief? He seems more useful as a utility character than one for combat. I went with Minstrel/Priest/Mage/Martial Artist instead.

Or is the stealing alone during combat worthwhile to have Thief over Martial Artist?
You don't really start alchemizing the stuff that requires lots of ingredients until later, so it's not really that important early on. However, in the completionist mindset, there is a thief skill
Eye for Trouble that adds information to your bestiary that you cannot get in other ways (I don't think), so if you're a completionist, you might want to get that skill up before you fight the first boss after you get party members

Love the game(all
7 fyggs and just got to upover
)

-Anyone know if there's better armor for thieves than the ones that looks like the set the thief character in the book is wearing? I've got that set and it gives a good boost to agility but now newer towns I've visited have better Def armors but none with agility boosts.

-What stat should I build up to help with stealing? Drop rates are damn low and stealing doesn't seem much better :/

for someone who asked earlier

Eye for Trouble is like Scan from FF games. Gives more details on the enemy(Drops and more two page detail instead of one)

Gravijah

ScrabbleDude said:
Pressing the R button in the alchemy pot screen will give you the stats of the items before you've created them.

Oooh, I didn't know that, thanks! Bad part is I was making stuff I didn't have the recipes for yet. :lol

Does anyone know which monster is between Dracky and Bag o'laughs? It's the only one I'm missing so far.

Hobbun said:

I always have my thief stealing, 24/7. Once you get half-inch (which is steal), you can use it on other jobs, so it is very useful.

Hobbun

rpmurphy said:
You don't really start alchemizing the stuff that requires lots of ingredients until later, so it's not really that important early on. However, in the completionist mindset, there is a thief skill
Eye for Trouble that adds information to your bestiary that you cannot get in other ways (I don't think), so if you're a completionist, you might want to get that skill up before you fight the first boss after you get party members

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I think I will do that.

srenity

Neo Member
Gravijah said:
I violently shook my DS every time 3 slimes stacked into one while doing the
Gladiator
quest line. :lol
What is the correct way of doing that quest?

I went back to Stornway area to attack the Slime. Had one cast snooze so he won't run away while my main character eggs on my warrior (who has dragon slash) and that didn't work

Then I went to the area with the stackable Slimes (Alltrade?). Had my characters kill off the slimes so they won't stack together while my main character eggs on my warrior to raise the tension and that didn't work either D:<

I spoilered the whole thing because I didn't know which one could be a spoiler :p

srenity said:

I went back to Stornway area to attack the Slime. Had one cast snooze so he won't run away while my main character eggs on my warrior (who has dragon slash) and that didn't work

Then I went to the area with the stackable Slimes (Alltrade?). Had my characters kill off the slimes so they won't stack together while my main character eggs on my warrior to raise the tension and that didn't work either D:<

I spoilered the whole thing because I didn't know which one could be a spoiler :p

I think it has to be the slimes outside Angels Falls.

I used War Cry(Terrify/freezes enemies) then used my main character to egg on my other character with Dragon Slash until she had 100 tension then let her use it on the next turn.

botticus

Easiest place I found for the Gladiator quest was wherever the King Slimes are. Much easier to avoid getting 8 slimes bouncing around (with War Cry and Pratfall) than 3.

Gravijah

ExtraKr1spy said:

I used War Cry(Terrify/freezes enemies) then used my main character to egg on my other character with Dragon Slash until she had 100 tension then let her use it on the next turn.

No, it can be the slimes outside of the abbey.
I used egg on with my main character on my other minstrel, once it reached 100 tension, I used dragon slash on the slimes. If you get the slimes that keep calling for more you can do it in one battle.

I just completed (6/7 fygge spoilers)
Batsureg
, and the Zoom list is placing it in front of
Swinedimples
, which I finished last night. Does the game allow you to do
Batsureg
first? Are you allowed to do any of the others out of order?

Gravijah

decoyplatypus said:
I just completed (6/7 fygge spoilers)
Batsureg
, and the Zoom list is placing it in front of
Swinedimples
, which I finished last night. Does the game allow you to do
Batsureg
first? Are you allowed to do any of the others out of order?

I did the
Lleviathan stuff before the Abbey stuff

srenity

Neo Member
ExtraKr1spy said:

Ohhhh, I didn't know tension can go over 50 because it said something about not being able go further, so I assumed the maximum amount of tension I can get was 50.

Thanks ExtraKr1spy, botticus, and Gravijah!

@Gravijah: If you're still looking for monster #007 (between Dracky and Bag o' laughs), it's Bodkin Archer. Regular Haunts: Angel Falls and The Hexagon.

Bentendo

I need help!
I know I need to gain the bow ability, and I've talked to the priest who assigns it to you, but after I talk to him the bow isn't present in the Assign Party Tricks Menu". Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. 0_o

Gravijah said:
But it's so fuuuun! Haha, not so much. I've actually been spending hours making new alchemy recipes, grinding for that sword and such. One of my favorite parts of the game is getting new stuff, but I'm a loot whore at heart.

26 hours and I'm just now about to head to the
boat that crosses the ocean.

What does Eye for Trouble do? I don't think you can steal from bosses, eitherway, unless Eye for Trouble does something special.
Don't grind Alchemy like I've been doing :(. You end up with boring armor that's better than the legacy stuff :(

Also, the Treasure Map bosses can and will clean the floor with you. Skill grinding may not be needed for the story, but that 80 hp in Paladin would be lovely on my poor paper Mage.

Pink Gorilla

Neo Member
Bentendo said:
I need help!
I know I need to gain the bow ability, and I've talked to the priest who assigns it to you, but after I talk to him the bow isn't present in the Assign Party Tricks Menu". Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. 0_o
The bow is a party trick?

Edgeward

Bentendo said:
I need help!

Are you sure? It's on the second page of party tricks. You can always try talking to everyone at Alltrades just to be sure if it's all ???.

rpmurphy

Bentendo said:
I need help!
You don't receive the party trick from the priest downstairs until you get the Abbott thing going by learning about the fruit and accepting to help to go to the tower.

Oli

Well the Target sale didn't work out the way I thought it would, so that was a huge waste of time. I still want to get the game though. I'll have to find another way to get it.

Bentendo

Edgeward said:
Are you sure? It's on the second page of party tricks. You can always try talking to everyone at Alltrades just to be sure if it's all ???.

I finally got it! I was talking to the wrong person... I thought you were supposed to talk to the priest in the basement who explains how to equip the bow, and didn't realize you had to talk to the main guy upstairs (twice!). Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, I just realized that it's not a bow and arrow as I thought it was, so some of what I said may not have made any sense (such as "how to equip the bow").

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Freyjadour said:
Don't grind Alchemy like I've been doing :(. You end up with boring armor that's better than the legacy stuff :(

Tell me about it. One of my peeps has been wearing that dumb slime helmet/armor for like 10 hours now.

Gravijah

Lost Fragment said:
Tell me about it. One of my peeps has been wearing that dumb slime helmet/armor for like 10 hours now.

:lol Currently one of my people is wearing the helm and another the armor...

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
srenity said:

Repost from earlier.

When I did it, it was super easy - here are the steps I took.

I used the slimes right outside the Abbey of Vocational change or whatevs.

I changed my main characters vocation to a low level one (I know this determines whether or not monsters will run from you on the field, and it looks like in battle as well).

When I encountered a group of slimes, I would have my Ranger snipe one or two of the slimes every round so they couldn't group up to a stack.

Had my main rallying my martial artists (who I changed into a warrior just for this occasion), while she psyched herself up.

I was lucky enough to do it all in one encounter, my martial artists as a warrior was slow enough to attack after the slime, so the slime would call for backup right before it died, my ranger would wait a turn until there were two slimes again before 'sniping' (it would kill the second slime before it had a chance to call for backup). I got all the way up to slime N (it would have been less, but I accidentally psyched up to 100 and used a regular attack, twice I think).

That's how I did it =p.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
ACE 1991 said:
It seems the gladiator quest is a real headache... Is it worth all the trouble?

For sure, one of the class skills later on is a hard +30 to your strength, and that carries over to any class. Also you get double up - your defense drops but then you do redonk damage, and you can alleviate that drop in defense with a buff.

ACE 1991 said:
It seems the gladiator quest is a real headache... Is it worth all the trouble?
It's not as big a headache as it seems. People make it harder for themselves.
For some reason, no one ever goes for the easier Angel Falls' slimes which, if they did, would make things alot easier.

Gravijah

Question: Experience isn't capped on low level characters, it's just uh... reduced by a certain percentage, right? So a metal bubbleslime will still give more than a metal slime for level 1s?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Gravijah said:
Question: Experience isn't capped on low level characters, it's just uh... reduced by a certain percentage, right? So a metal bubbleslime will still give more than a metal slime for level 1s?

Yeah, every time they level they get more. So if you want to make it easier on yourself, get your level 1 to level 3 or 4 with an easy non-metal fight first, then go into metals.

Yaweee

Gravijah said:
It's an entire vocation, I'd say yes.

That's a pretty big complaint against the game, in my opinion. Tedious quests are bad, and they're even worse when they're vital to unlocking some huge gameplay element-- in this case, one of the 6 (?) advanced classes.

Gravijah

Yaweee said:
That's a pretty big complaint against the game, in my opinion. Tedious quests are bad, and they're even worse when they're vital to unlocking some huge gameplay element-- in this case, one of the 6 (?) advanced classes.

Yeah, I could see it bothering people, definitely.

For my money, Fuddle worked better than Snooze/War Cry on the gladiator quest. Fuddle hit nearly every time I tried it, and the slimes tended to become frozen to the spot for 3 turns without my having to touch them. I cleared the quest in about ten minutes of work. Maybe I was lucky.

Victrix

*beard*
Yaweee said:

What? It takes like 15 minutes to do the setup for the quest, and teaches you a useful technique to use against tougher monsters.

That's a big complaint for unlocking an advanced class? o_O

Top Bottom