• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

STG

BooJoh said:
On the left side of the middle of town, on the ledge just to the upper right from the church cave. I don't know if you need to go back to Stornway to talk to Erinn and Patty first.

and also she is only there at night

Koomaster

Forkball said:
Also, I've found some places when exploring the world that don't make any sense. In the Wyrm area, there's a cave you can only get to via flying. When you go inside, there's a standing skeleton, but it doesn't do anything. Another fly only area is the poison swamp in Gleeba. You can go into the swamp, but there's nothing there except for a few pots. Is there anything special about these places?
My best guess for these places is that they are related to future DLC quests. Although maybe there is something rare that spawns in those pots in Gleeba too?

DTJAAAAM

Just logged 200 hours on the game. I'm addicted and have no plans on quitting! My current goal is farming an S-rank chest in a grotto until I get the "base" versions of all 8 weapons my party members use. So far, 5 down, 3 to go. I really wish I had that Kawasaki Locker map!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Urgh, I can't seem to find or farm Evencloths and Brighten Rocks.

ULTROS! said:
You can get evencloth from ragged reapers near Zere. Drops fairly frequently, I find. Brighten Rocks... I can't remember, there are two places for them, one is near the desert place, can't remember the other.

DTJAAAAM

ULTROS! said:

You can farm Evencloth slightly southeast of Gleeba. There's a spot in the area where the gold golems spawn. Brighten Rocks have a farming spot one screen west of Wormwood Creek.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Is it just me, or have the DQVC items sucked this week?

I did get my mage some shades, though. And now she looks all like "deal with it."

Segata Sanshiro said:
Brighten Rocks... I can't remember, there are two places for them, one is near the desert place, can't remember the other.

Goodybags in the Bowhole. Was just farming these the other night for meteorite bracers.

ccbfan

Woohoo finished main story this last night.

Main characters were

Gladiator-38
Priest-35
MA - 39
Warrior - 40

Died 2 times at the last guy. He was a good deal thougher than any other boss.

My basic strategy was Helm splitter or whatever the def down attack for axe gladiator for twp turns then use axe crit move. Helm splitter did like 150 and crit afterwards like 400.

Heal and buff with my priest

Raise tension and attack with my MA. Also gave my MA all the best healing items since him going first helps a lot. Each 50 tension attack did like 400 dam.

Warrior does falcon strike with falcon sword. This did like 200 pre 2 helm splitter and and 300+ post.

Corvus was a pain in the butt in general though.

First fight was going good then he did this dragon breath thing that paralysed 3 of 4 party members with the one party member that didn't get paralysed had no way to healing paralyse.

Died. Started over and gave each character two mort bulbs or whataver they're called.

This time everything was going great even got a 1900+ attack on Corvus with a full tension, double helm splitter, crit from my gladiator. Then the effer does tension up and and some magic burst spell. Dear lord it wiped out everyone in my party except my Warrior who have no way to revive.

Died and decided to give it one more shot

Corvus was actually most vicious this time attack wise. Almost no laughing and he did his magic burst spell 4 times (no tension this time though). Luckily though my MA who have the best heal items was able to survive. Did his dragon breath thing 4 times but missed all every time :). Ended up killing the guy.

The ending was terrible but whatever.

This game was great and addicting. Don't know why though. If you break down every part this would be a mediocre game.

1. Main story was boring and cliche.
2. Music was pretty blah.
3. Game was hella slow for a DQ. Especially the text.
4. Skill/class system was OK and pretty elementary. Nothing special. Did like the touch of having class level = main level though.

Yet this was the most fun I had playing an rpg this gen.

Oxx

There's nothing worse than finishing a quest only to find the reward is worse than what you currently have equipped.

Still, serves me right for only just getting around to the level 15 Ranger quest.

I'm going to try and complete quests as soon as I get them from now on.

65 hours in. Finally got to the last boss. Died. :(

So I've done about ten grottos since. My highest is a level 25, and that was easy enough. I can destroy the first three grotto bosses but haven't seen any others. And I just got the 2% drop from a Nemean map! The drop is better than any other equipment I have for that slot. Gave it to my sage since it also boosts magical might and magical mending. :D

botticus

Okay, this Critical Pratfall quest is the worst thing ever. I just earned 1100 exp from one slime battle when I finally gave up.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Oxx said:
Yeah, I haven't got anything useful from the DQVC for a while now.

I got three pairs of sunglasses! I wanted a fourth but it didn't come up today for me

Just finished the wight night story, it was kinda sad in a way, but I felt happy cuz you technically saved him.

Anyways, I just got my ass kicked by the damn green plague, while the guy with the glasses was looking. Will have to find more metal slimed to raise levels thou, using a 3 chars party and being the hero, a thief and a priest is kinda hard.

I think I screwed up with the priest, I'm making him a spear wielded, rather than trying to make him a full healer.

I think I might make the thief a priest later in the game.

When you change classes, is it like dq3 and the stats get cut in half? I have that question :p

Yaweee

sonikokaruto said:
When you change classes, is it like dq3 and the stats get cut in half? I have that question :p

Your level is saved separately for each class. So if a Level 16 Priest changes to a Mage, he'll be a level 1 Mage, but if he transfers back to Priest, he'll be 16 with all the spells that he had when he was a Priest before.

What stays when you change classes are your weapon skills, and all of the "class" skills and passive stat bonuses from the class specific trees. Spells do no transfer.

Tiktaalik

Weee I just got the boat. I sailed around and pretty soon found a new town and a new continent full of pretty tough baddies.

Here's my party, since I didn't take pictures waaay at the beginning of this thread:

n6p89j.jpg

The Hero, a Martial Artist

sx2k9v.jpg

A Gladiator

2w3e5b9.jpg

My Healer gets all sorts of random leftover junk.

fcsksw.jpg

Mage

Photos were taken a bit before the ship I think so I'm higher level now. Torao I think is around lvl 20.

I'm curious about one thing: How do I move the order of my party in the battle list? I feel like I did this before but now I can't figure out how I did it. Recently for multiplayer play I removed some people from my party, and putting them back in put them in a different order.

botticus said:
Okay, this Critical Pratfall quest is the worst thing ever. I just earned 1100 exp from one slime battle when I finally gave up.
Yea that quest sucked. I believe the level 40 ranger scroll can help as it increases the chance of critical strikes while in critical condition. Also, the revocation gladiator accessory increases the chance for critical. But I'm not sure if either of them increase the chance for critical hits with pitfall.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Lol. Decided to hit up an alchemy guide because I started to suspect that I had WAAAAAAY more ingredients than I did recipes. And I was right. I think I've added around 90 minutes to my game time clock and I'm STILL not done exhausting the possibilities! Good stuff!

Mejilan said:
Lol. Decided to hit up an alchemy guide because I started to suspect that I had WAAAAAAY more ingredients than I did recipes. And I was right. I think I've added around 90 minutes to my game time click and I'm STILL not dine exhausting the possibilities! Good stuff!
Who was pot?

Or

How I pot?

Oxx

Today has been a bad day for quests.

I've been going through them at a decent clip, but with next to no reward.

Two quests left me with inferior equipment, the next two provided me with the exact same weapons I had equipped at the time, and now there are two that I just can't get my head around.

Some of them are just ridiculously convoluted.

rpmurphy

Hey guys, if you want to do Slime Hill and don't want to walk around, then stand at the cliff corner at the southwestern-most end (but not where the ground meets the mountainside). You should see two spawns, and at least one will refresh every few seconds.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I like how they let the hero (male) be the only man to enter the all women's bath in Gleeba after you save the princess.

Oxx

That quest where you have to use War Cry on the Scarewolves was driving me up the wall. But it's all in the past now.

Anyway, it has been a while since I have shown any of my team, and since they're looking quite nice at the moment, I might as well:

Photo013.jpg

Photo014.jpg

Photo015.jpg

Photo016.jpg

Some equipment is there for fashion value ahead of attributes.

Socreges

Banned
DTJAAAAM said:
Just logged 200 hours on the game. I'm addicted and have no plans on quitting!
This scares me. A lot. I'd really like to get this game, but I'm afraid that it would kill my free time and screw with my priorities.

Mejilan said:
:(

If you're mocking me for my typos, all I can say is that I'm still getting used to the iPhone's software keyboard.

:(
I also am using an iPhone, I should have posted the question in clea plain English 

Where is the alchemy pot? Do you get a wagon?! 

Salsa

Just finished main story yesterday, at level 50 and at 50 hours :lol

Now, is Tag mode the only way to get treasure maps ? i ask because of a certain post-game side mission..

rpmurphy

SalsaShark said:
Just finished main story yesterday, at level 50 and at 50 hours :lol

Now, is Tag mode the only way to get treasure maps ? i ask because of a certain post-game side mission..
You can get your first treasure map from doing the side-quest at Zere Rocks. Then you get a new treasure map every time you complete one. Legacy maps are tag or DLC I think.

Tiktaalik

Oxx said:
That quest where you have to use War Cry on the Scarewolves was driving me up the wall. But it's all in the past now.

I just got to that and was attempting it and it wasn't working. I was doing War Cry and then killing the guy and it didn't register. What else is it? I know that enemies can have differing reactions to War Cry in terms of the text that is printed on the screen. I was wondering if maybe I have to keep doing War Cry until I get a certain reaction?

rpmurphy

Tiktaalik said:
I just got to that and was attempting it and it wasn't working. I was doing War Cry and then killing the guy and it didn't register. What else is it? I know that enemies can have differing reactions to War Cry in terms of the text that is printed on the screen. I was wondering if maybe I have to keep doing War Cry until I get a certain reaction?
You must kill the scarewolves when they are still in a terrified state. Basically, you must kill them after War Cry, but before they take their turn.

Tiktaalik

rpmurphy said:
You must kill the scarewolves when they are still in a terrified state. Basically, you must kill them after War Cry, but before they take their turn.

Damn... any tips on how to do that? Perhaps leap up the speed of everyone using that one mage spell?? My Martial artist is usually my 3rd attacker....

I guess I could try increasing everyone's speed, egging on my 4th attacker so he'll kill the wolf in one hit, and only then warcry and attack.

Oxx

Tiktaalik said:
Damn... any tips on how to do that? Perhaps leap up the speed of everyone using that one mage spell?? My Martial artist is usually my 3rd attacker....

I guess I could try increasing everyone's speed, egging on my 4th attacker so he'll kill the wolf in one hit, and only then warcry and attack.

I had to Accelerate my party twice and Decelerate the Scarewolves once in order to get the turn-order to match-up correctly.

It was pretty annoying to set-up, especially when War Cry wouldn't affect the enemy and I'd kill the enemy straight after 4+ turns of messing around with status spells.

Aaaaannndddd the reward was pretty worthless to me, but at least I've caught up on my quests. Only one active one at the moment!

Salsa

rpmurphy said:
You can get your first treasure map from doing the side-quest at Zere Rocks. Then you get a new treasure map every time you complete one. Legacy maps are tag or DLC I think.

Thanks! i already had that first one, time to get some others.

Tiktaalik

lol I was just googling around to find out where I could find or buy the "toxic dagger" to do that Ranger quest and I've found out that it's not a weapon, but a thief's skill move! Pro tip for DQX translators: you shouldn't make special attacks sound like items!

Cheerilee

Tiktaalik said:

You have to have at least a couple people (preferably four) who are reliably faster or slower than the werewolf. Either one works. You don't necessarily need amazing speed. Four slow-assed warriors can do it just as well as four martial artists.

Check your stats and see who among that group has the most agility. Have that one guy do War Cry (maybe your second fastest as well, if all your guys are on the same side of the werewolf's agility), and have your other guys set to kill the werewolf.

Turn plays out. If it goes the way it should, your fast guy should scare the werewolf and your killers should kill him. If someone cuts ahead of their turn, you fail and have to find another werewolf. If the war cry doesn't scare him (and you didn't have a backup person doing it), then you fail and have to find another werewolf.

By the odds, it will work more often (not always) if you get your agility figured out right.

I found werewolves walking around pretty commonly by teleporting to Dourbridge and walking south across a bridge.

jgwhiteus

Tiktaalik said:

Sort of depends on the makeup of your party and when the scarewolf would normally attack - after the 1st person, after the 3rd person, etc. It's not hard to have someone else learn War Cry - can get it at level 6? (4 skill points?) after switching to Martial Artist, which you can do in 5 minutes or something.

First round, soften the scarewolf up so that the first attack next round will kill him. Also gives you a sense of which turn the scarewolf will attack, and the order your party will attack / defend in.

If you can get two hits in before the scarewolf attacks, fastest person uses War Cry, next person goes in for kill. If your attacks generally come after the scarewolf's, then first person after scarewolf attacks uses War Cry, anybody else can kill.

I chose to fight the Scarewolves in the trees right underneath the Bad Cave. They spawn there all the time - finished this one in less than 10 minutes I think (although I think my martial artist was already my fastest character, and I had no problem killing the scarewolves almost immediately after the martial artist's turn).

I'm sure that this has been discussed million times already but I really hate the fact that you can't see item stats before crafting them. So many wasted materials for useless stuff. :mad:

Mejilan

sonikokaruto said:
I also am using an iPhone, I should have posted the question in clea plain English 

Where is the alchemy pot? Do you get a wagon?! 

There's no wagon.
You really can't miss the alchemy pot.
Not long after you gain the ability to switch classes, return to Erinn at the Stornway Inn.
At least, I think that's roughly around when you get it...

Mejilan

Misterinenja said:
I'm sure that this has been discussed million times already but I really hate the fact that you can't see item stats before crafting them. So many wasted materials for useless stuff. :mad:

Did you try hitting R when the item is selected?
I know that toggles the stats screen, but I can't remember if it's available for un-alchemized recipes or not...

Aeana

Misterinenja said:
You can. Press L or R to hide the recipe and see the stats.

Mejilan said:
Did you try hitting R when the item is selected?
I know that toggles the stats screen, but I can't remember if it's available for un-alchemized recipes or not...

Now I feel just stupid.

Edit: It would be cool though if you could compare them to equipped items.

Mejilan said:
There's no wagon.
You really can't miss the alchemy pot.
Not long after you gain the ability to switch classes, return to Erinn at the Stornway Inn.
At least, I think that's roughly around when you get it...
WTF where do I change classes?!

(at work, but took a trip to the John to rest and play a little while)

Top Bottom