• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Alltrades Abbey. You can't miss that either.

Misterinenja said:
Now I feel just stupid.

Edit: It would be cool though if you could compare them to equipped items.

THEY'RE NEVER SATISFIED!! ;p

Koomaster

After weeks of carrying my DS around in tag mode, I got my FIRST tag today!! Excite!

Oddly, it was at a pool, left my DS in tag mode in my bag on a beach chair. Almost didn't bring it cuz that seems like a weird place to bring your DS... but then again, if I brought mine, and someone else brought theirs... not so weird? :lol

Hopefully I'll get a chance to go to Best Buy Saturday and there will be people in tag mode there.

botticus

Misterinenja said:
Now I feel just stupid.

Edit: It would be cool though if you could compare them to equipped items.
Or at least let you see the stats for the currently equipped items. Big disconnect there.

Woo-Fu

Banned
When you get around to discarding grotto maps make sure you keep at least one map for each grotto boss you've encountered. There are post-game quests that involve the grotto bosses. If you've tossed out all of your crappy low level Equinox maps it might be a bit of a headache getting another one. doh.

Koomaster

Just finished the
Luminary's
level 40 quest. And I don't EVER want to see another maoi minstrel again. Wasted a lot of yggdrasil leaves every time one decided to kamikazee my sage to death. ~____~ Even having full magical barrier up on the party, at least 2 people will die, and the rest being close to death when they do that.

The spell scroll reward from the quest is pretty funny, as are most of the
Luminary
abilities. Don't know if I want to carry thousands of coins with me every time I go into a grotto just to use it; that's a pretty pricey spell!

The "Operation Mercury" quest is the very definition of infuriating. The Halberd should do my laundry, take out the trash and feed my cat for all the work I did to earn it.

Oxx

I really should have checked on the rewards before doing the Operation Mercury quest.

I was using a Halberd to kill those slimes. As you can imagine, I was not impressed by my quest reward.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DEFTNESS-Stealing, Crit Rate, Preemptive Rate, Flee from Battle Rate.

It's basically the best stat in the game.

Grampasso

xir said:
ok....what does deftness do?
It seems to be a Thief/Hunter stat, so I suppose it has to do with stealing and avoiding being hit.

BTW, my party is now in the mid 17 and came back from the heaven. Guess I'll be able to change vocation soon since I need to search for the abbot holding the ceremony. Btw I'll probably end up being overpowered for the boss since I lulled in the island and reached the other city where I was able to upgrade my armor. I still have to assign any skill points though, so I may lack some crucial ability to go on in a while if I don't distribute them...

Mejilan said:
There's no wagon.
You really can't miss the alchemy pot.
Not long after you gain the ability to switch classes, return to Erinn at the Stornway Inn.
At least, I think that's roughly around when you get it...
You get it as soon as you finish the Coffinwell questline (before boarding the train). I have it and I still have to get the ability to change classes

thefil

Mejilan said:
Alltrades Abbey. You can't miss that either.

You can, however, somehow not put two and two together and realize that tracking down the abbot is the first frygg quest. Alltrades Abbey was my fifth frygg. =\

Also, I want to punch each of you for being so far in the game. I've only managed 20 hours so far.

botticus

I love the Ranger scroll. Only took one battle for me to get a Critical Autograph on a monster I also needed to kill with a crit after I whittled my health down.

On to pincushion, and then more Moai Minstrel fun.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
thefil said:
You can, however, somehow not put two and two together and realize that tracking down the abbot is the first frygg quest. Alltrades Abbey was my fifth frygg. =\

Also, I want to punch each of you for being so far in the game. I've only managed 20 hours so far.

that's pretty cool that it's so open-ended, didn't realize

Oxx

I quite enjoyed the Armamentalist quest that involved the White Trigertaurs.

Probably because the reward was actually an improvement on my equipped gear and looked rather swish to boot.

thefil

levious said:
that's pretty cool that it's so open-ended, didn't realize

Technically yes, but from a story perspective...

The little fairy who travels with you still says, "Finally! You got your hands on a frygg." when you get the Abbey one even if it is #5.

Oxx

There's a decent amount of freedom once you get to that part of the game.

I think I went off and did something else before coming back to the Abbey. And I think I might have done some of the later stuff in the 'wrong' order as well.

For the Best Buy event could I just set my game to Canvass for guests and wait around the area in best buy where they are having it and still get the map or do I have to connect with someone else?

Was planning on staying for 30 minutes to an hour and a half but something's come up and I'll probably only be able basically go in and out.

rpmurphy

ExtraKr1spy said:
For the Best Buy event could I just set my game to Canvass for guests and wait around the area in best buy where they are having it and still get the map or do I have to connect with someone else?

Was planning on staying for 30 minutes to an hour and a half but something's come up and I'll probably only be able basically go in and out.
At the Gamestop one, they set up one DS to broadcast the map. It took me a couple times in the inn to get the legacy map because other people were canvassing too and since you can apparently only canvass 3 people at a time.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
someone said the Gamestop one is available in game, not sure about the one at best buy this week.

rpmurphy

They're all going to be available through DQVC eventually probably.

By the way, everyone get Sharp Shades yet from the wifi store this week? Totally awesome. :D

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
rpmurphy said:
They're all going to be available through DQVC eventually probably.

By the way, everyone get Sharp Shades yet from the wifi store this week? Totally awesome. :D
Oh good.

No Sharp Shades but I got an Icicle Dirk FAR too early than I should have. :lol

I'm resigned to the fact that tag mode in Canada is just never going to get me any love.

Took the wife and daughter to Marine Land on the weekend in Niagara Falls and had my DS tucked away in tag mode for the entire time, hoping that just one kid (or geek like me) would have theirs on too.

Yeah...no.

I dig the idea of it. It's simply not practical for north america in my opinion.

Well...or maybe I need to start hanging out at school playgrounds. That'd be totally fine right?

I also hope that if tag mode is in DQ X, then it's easier to access. Like...by going into the options menu or something.

It's relatively easy to get to Stornway and then go to the Inn and talk to the girl, etc...

But I can't help but think it could simply be an option in the menu screen.

Besides all that. Love it. Love love love. I'm getting sent back to the time when my friends and I obsessed over characters for Bard's Tale on the Amiga.

Princess Skittles said:
Oh good.

That's interesting. I heard/read somewhere that DQVC stores were different from person to person but I definitely had the shades show up this week, and the same goes for the icey dirk. It is double the damage of what my mage was doing before.

rpmurphy

Princess Skittles said:
Oh good.

Yeah I saw that earlier in the week in my store. Be sure to check everyday until you get Sharp Shades though. It's a DQVC-exclusive item, and who knows when it will be available again.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
bigdaddygamebot said:
That's interesting. I heard/read somewhere that DQVC stores were different from person to person but I definitely had the shades show up this week, and the same goes for the icey dirk. It is double the damage of what my mage was doing before.
Well I only accessed it Tuesday and Wednesday night.

I also got Alena in my inn the first time I connected.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
rpmurphy said:
Yeah I saw that earlier in the week in my store. Be sure to check everyday until you get Sharp Shades though. It's a DQVC-exclusive item, and who knows when it will be available again.
Exclusive?

Hmm, how often should I be checking for this stuff?

rpmurphy

Princess Skittles said:
Exclusive?

I dunno, I just check on GameFAQs every week or so to see what they're saying about the week's store items. So far the concensus is that you can only get Sharp Shades through DQVC.

botticus

I've already got 3 pairs of Sharp Shades. Not sure if there was any other item I was supposed to get from this week's special, as I've already gotten doubles of most. Got my first Ice Shield today though.

Princess Skittles said:
Exclusive?

DQVC updates daily so everyday. Sometimes they don't update on Thursdays but that seems like its more of a glitch.

Got 2 Sharp Shades
Dangerous top/bikini - crafted into Hot bikini top(Dangerous top + 3 Red Coral + 3 Seashells)
Dangerous Midriff wrap- crafted into hot bikini bottom(Dangerous Wrap + 3 Red Corall + 2 Seashells)
Bought 2 Mini Medals.

Mejilan

Grampasso said:
You get it as soon as you finish the Coffinwell questline (before boarding the train). I have it and I still have to get the ability to change classes
Ah yes. Thanks for the reminder. Now that I think on it, I believe it's the wifi shop that opens up during the Alltrades Abbey story arc.

Mejilan

bigdaddygamebot said:
Everyone's DQVC can be different, since there is a random element to it. But all this week there's been a summer fayre (fair?) theme to the updates, so the pool of items that has a chance to show is much smaller than a vanilla update. I would imagine that at least some of the summer-themed updates might be exclusive to this (and perhaps other) event(s).

Last week's updates were also themed. They were all alchemy-specific goodies. Pay attention to what Sellma has to say immediately after connecting and before she pulls up the day's new list of goodies. She'll also mention any special guests (such as Alena).

And yes, her goods update once a day around 8am GMT, IIRC. I forget the timezone. I know it isn't my timezone (EST).

Mejilan

thefil said:

Hahaha. That would suck. The job system is a huge draw for me. Case in point. I may have 30 more hours on my clock than you, but I only have 3 fyggs. You've got at least 5 now?

rpmurphy

zigg said:
Geez, did anyone else know about this? I missed the GameStop event, but a bunch of Best Buys are having map giveaways and other stuff this Saturday.

http://www.bestbuy.com/dragonquest

Mouse over the store picture for more info.
Yeah, and various Simon Malls are having events as well for about a month.
List of stores and event dates: http://www.wiinintendo.net/2010/07/28/dragon-quest-ix-retail-sampling-and-tag-mode-events/

Right now I'm wondering if I should go to the Best Buy closest to me or one that's a much longer drive but will guaranteed get the MKS grotto map from other attendees. :p

thefil

Mejilan said:
Hahaha. That would suck. The job system is a huge draw for me. Case in point. I may have 30 more hours on my clock than you, but I only have 3 fyggs. You've got at least 5 now?

5 or so, I can't remember. I haven't changed jobs yet mostly because I haven't finished getting the skills I want in current jobs yet. I want my thief to get all her deftness before becoming a ranger, I want my monk to max out fisticuffs and learn Psyche Up, I want my Priest to get all the Healing Magic + things, and I want my Minstrel to max fans.

I don't know if I'll be able to do much of this just by playing the story, but here's hoping. :lol

Forkball

Aren't most of the legacy maps totally useless since you have to be ungodly levels to even contend with the boss? The game's been out less than a month, who can really beat these guys?

Pangya

Forkball said:
Aren't most of the legacy maps totally useless since you have to be ungodly levels to even contend with the boss? The game's been out less than a month, who can really beat these guys?

People who got the MKS maps and grinded a bit can take on these bosses. I have about 90 hours logged into my game and maxed out the skill trees of every class and beat Zoma with a level 50~ party of a Mage, Sage, Glad, and Pally. Now I'm sure a level 99 Zoma would be a completely different story :D

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Are all the treasure maps for high-level play?

I'm hearing even maps labeled as Level 1 and 2 have insanely powerful monsters and bosses in them.

STG

Princess Skittles said:
Are all the treasure maps for high-level play?

I'm hearing even maps labeled as Level 1 and 2 have insanely powerful monsters and bosses in them.
not really

If you beat the main story boss the grotto bosses should not be a big deal

Top Bottom