• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Koomaster

Lost Fragment said:
Damn, just got wrecked by
Atlas
. Guess it's finally time to actually buff Paladin/Shield skills.
Just faced him today and was able to complete two quests associated with him at the same time. If you can do ~1,000HP of damage to him each turn, you can take him down in 7 turns. Just hope he doesn't cast that group attack move multiple times in a row. He ended up killing 2 of my party members because I was fooling around with those quests. It came down to the wire, one more group attack would have ended me.

Serenade said:
Unlocking Luminary is a pain in my ass. Jumping from grotto to grotto only to get violated by Trauminators is halting my progress too.
Man tell me about it. That's the hardest class to unlock; just finding the right enemy in the right grotto takes a lot of time.

Forkball said:
I just got the Baramos map. What levels should I be before I even think about taking him on?

Also if I have to fight that lion with wings again as a grotto boss I will pull my hair out. I've fought him like five times in a row, although I did run into a Shogum (which also completed a quest, double score!)
If it's the one I'm thinking of, you should be able to tackle that Lion grotto boss without a second thought before you even consider Baramos as an option. Equinox and then that Lion are the two weakest I have encountered so far, if you can defeat Shogum, the Lion shouldn't give you worry.

I just passed 126hours on the game clock, which means I've been playing 51 hours after I've already beaten the game. As others have said; such a very awesome game!:D

Forkball

Koomaster said:
If it's the one I'm thinking of, you should be able to tackle that Lion grotto boss without a second thought before you even consider Baramos as an option. Equinox and then that Lion are the two weakest I have encountered so far, if you can defeat Shogum, the Lion shouldn't give you worry.

I just passed 126hours on the game clock, which means I've been playing 51 hours after I've already beaten the game. As others have said; such a very awesome game!:D

Well the lion is easy, it's just that I found him in like five consecutive grottos so it got a bit boring and annoying. I'll do a few more grottos and hold off until I fight Baramos, everyone seems to have a tough time with him.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think I'm burned out on this game. 75 hours already, and everything's starting to feel like a chore.

I'll be back, though. It happens to me with almost every JRPG I actually like.

Wichu

Finally beat the story. Like many others, I was a bit overlevelled (40s to 50s), so it wasn't that difficult. I had the über falcon blade (alchemised using the falcon blade in the ship); I managed to one-shot
the Triumgorate members
using Falcon Slash with buffs :D

Anyway, I'm stuck on a few quests. I'll spoiler tag just in case.

Firstly, the first fan quest; I have to get an ice feather, but I can't figure out what I have to kill. I'm pretty sure I've defeated most enemies in the vicinity several times each, and still don't have it.

Second, the Upover DLC quest with the cloud. I guess it has something to do with fighting cumulus rexes, but I'm stumped as to what to do.

And finally, the first post-game quest about summoning Lleviathan; the only two people who I've managed to get info off are Jona and the innkeeper :(

Anyone got any leads for me to follow?

Up to
King Godwyn's second form
. Tried once and dealt some decent damage but my Priest kept getting killed and without Multiheal it's quite tough. Farming some Metal Medley's at the minute to get my party from 39/39/40/39 to at least all 40's before trying the boss again. Getting there slowly but surely! :)

Nayishiki

Wichu said:
Finally beat the story. Like many others, I was a bit overlevelled (40s to 50s), so it wasn't that difficult. I had the über falcon blade (alchemised using the falcon blade in the ship); I managed to one-shot
the Triumgorate members

Firstly, the first fan quest; I have to get an ice feather, but I can't figure out what I have to kill. I'm pretty sure I've defeated most enemies in the vicinity several times each, and still don't have it.

Second, the Upover DLC quest with the cloud. I guess it has something to do with fighting cumulus rexes, but I'm stumped as to what to do.

And finally, the first post-game quest about summoning Lleviathan; the only two people who I've managed to get info off are Jona and the innkeeper :(

For the DLC quest beat some Cumulus Rex with a Miracle Sword until you get it.

For Lleviathan talk to the ghost in the village at night.

Link Man

Banned
Wichu said:
the Triumgorate members

For the
Lleviathan quest, there is a ghost that shows up on the beach at night

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I've been thinking about going and buying this game, but I'm hearing from a lot of people that it was a bit disappointing and lacks a great soundtrack. What's the verdict here?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
you're not going to get any answers devoid of love for the game here...

Your party members not having anything to do with the story is really the only negative I can find with it. Despite it being a step down technically from VIII, it never feels like a step down to me. Having every equipment change reflected visually this time more than makes up for any step back in the visual/aesthetic department for me.

GeekyDad

levious said:

:D

Yeah, I don't think there's a "verdict," either. My recommendation to anyone still on the fence is simply to rent the game first. Gotta love Gamefly, right?

Personally, DQIX has been one of the most enjoyable RPGs I've played in about five years. I'm coming up on the 110-hour mark. Though you and your party are silent the entire time, the game is filled with great, little story moments. The writing, to me anyway, is as good as any Dragon Quest game could be, and in spite of a few archaic relics from the past, the gameplay has been fine tuned wonderfully. Regardless of the downgrade to DS technology, the visuals in the game are an amazing impetus to keep you pressing on long after the main story is over.

rpmurphy

Wichu said:
the Triumgorate members

For the ice feather, kill birds by the academy.

rpmurphy

Ysiadmihi said:
Is the Moreheal priest quest worth doing? It sounds incredibly tedious...
Not really difficult. Switch one of your characters to a new class with lowest HP, then walk around the Zere poison swamp to get that character's HP to orange. The reward is worth it.

Wichu

rpmurphy said:
For the ice feather, kill birds by the academy.
Thanks; I've been doing that, but no luck so far...

So anyway, thanks to zigg, my brother has the MKS map. Unfortunately, I forgot that you can't give a map to someone else until you beat it, so I can't actually go there myself :(

Either I wait until my brother's strong enough to clear the map, or I get it tagged directly to my game later. In the meantime, I'll finish up some more quests :)

EDIT: 3 monster kills later, and I got the item. Seems like I was just unlucky.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
rpmurphy said:
Not really difficult. Switch one of your characters to a new class with lowest HP, then walk around the Zere poison swamp to get that character's HP to orange. The reward is worth it.

Alrighty, thanks :D

Oxx

Looks like my quest-log is full so I'll have to go back and clear some out.

I need Hocus Chimera feathers but Half-Inch is just giving me Chimera Wings every time. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

thefil

Oxx said:

I need Hocus Chimera feathers but Half-Inch is just giving me Chimera Wings every time. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

You just have to kill them. They drop it randomly. Try the mountain outside of Zere Rocks.

turnbuckle

Wichu said:
the Triumgorate members

I got the cumulus rex quest in 1 try. I'm pretty sure I killed it with a miracle sword. Not sure if that was the requirement or if it was just a random drop and I got lucky.

McNum

Okay, is this game out in Europe or not? I've been looking for it here in Denmark, and while it should have been released here over a week ago, no-one has gotten a shipment of it. Not even the online stores. Despite both Square-Enix and Nintendo.dk sending me promotions that the game is out.

I want to join the fun, the game looks awesome. But no one is selling it.

Link Man

Banned
levious said:

Your party members not having anything to do with the story is really the only negative I can find with it. Despite it being a step down technically from VIII, it never feels like a step down to me. Having every equipment change reflected visually this time more than makes up for any step back in the visual/aesthetic department for me.
There are story-related party members, but they are tied to the DLC quests.

turnbuckle

Is there a way to start a new game using the same save? I ask because if I ever get the urge to play again I don't want to lose what I have and after you complete the game the Battle Records adds an entry for first time completion statistics.

Grottoes are nice for extending the game beyond the normal story, but going through them is getting tiresome. I do it because the challenge offered within them is nice, but it seems a bit tedious...and, well, kinda boring. Completed a lvl 50ish grotto and was given a lvl 44 map in return, completed that and got a level 39. My main character is in his mid 50s and I thought I should only be getting high level maps now.

Is there a way to delete maps? I'd like to get rid of the lower level maps I'll never visit, and the higher level ones that don't have many floors or good monsters/chests.

Oxx said:

I'm sure this has been gone over somewhere in this behemoth of a thread but the active quest limit is killing me. Major negative for me.

Owzers

I was over complicating the boss battles i think, last one i just double Accelerated and went at it, healing when necessary with my minstrel and priest. I was spending unnecessary amounts of time Psyching up my two main damage dealers before unleashing a barrage but brute forcing it works fine too. This was the boss of Bersung.

Oxx

I just had a lucky random battle where I managed to make significant progress in 3 annoying quests.

It's still going to take a while to calm down 17 more monsters though.

I'm at the final boss but haven't fought him yet. Need to rearrange my party's items so that I have a load of healing stuff and maybe level a bit more. Currently level 41/42, the bosses at the endgame so far have been easy enough but might just make sure for the final one.

botticus

Oxx said:
I just had a lucky random battle where I managed to make significant progress in 3 annoying quests.

I finally wised up and did that while beating up LMS. The living statues like to rage, hardest part is getting them to do it before killing them.

matmanx1

I'm enjoying the heck out of the game, personally. I'm already at around 25 hours in and I just arrived at Bloomingdale if that tells you anything. I've already unlocked the Gladiator, Armamentalist and Ranger classes and have done abit of multiclassing just to open up some new abilities for my party.

I'm pretty astounded at how much content Square was able to cram into this little 256mb DS cart. I'm checking the DQVC every morning for new items, I'm hitting the alchemy pot, I'm tagging my friends to upgrade my Inn and get new maps, I'm doing random quests and I'm progressing the story, all at my own pace and it all works really, really well. It's honestly been awhile since I had this much fun with a turn based RPG and for $35 I consider it my year's best gaming value by a long shot.

Now if I could just get this long distance tagging thing to work.. Stupid save files not playing nice for me!

Swordian

Oxx said:

You can do it all on one monster. I just got into a fight with one of the hammer guys around Stornway and every round my fastest person would Whistle and my slowest would Soothesayer. It took maybe 25-30 rounds because the enemy occassionally wouldn't become enraged.

Oxx

Interesting.

I was looking through my party's abilities to see if I had anything to enrage an enemy, but I didn't see anything at first glance.

I'm sure I have used Whistle at some point, though.

Forkball

For the cloud quest,
you have to use the miracle sword or uber miracle sword.
. If a quest asks for a drop you've never even heard of before, these are "event drops" and you can't steal them, you just have to keep killing whatever enemy until they drop the item.

Anyways, I'm finally getting some better grotto maps. I'm still not finding a lot of good treasure, but I got fire claws from Nemean which allowed me to create combusticlaws. Now my martial artist does more damage per turn than my gladiator. I guess I need a new sword for my gladiator though.

Raw64life

Just spent a few hours doing a whole bunch of quests and a few grottos and I barely went up a level. I think I'm going to have to get in on that Metal Slime King action. The grottos are ok so far. I have zero interest in any quest or treasure map that involves killing a million of whatever enemy and hoping they rare drop something, so I'll probably never complete the game 100%, but the promise of legacy boss fights will keep me going through the post-game stuff for at least a little while.

Vamphuntr

I spent the last week at a friend's for my vacation and he bought the game so we played a lot of coop. The coop is a bit annoying though, only the host can call to arms the allies. Only the host can do quest and so on. We went to the gamestop event in montreal and got 43 tags. From what I gather the only things that gets unlocked is the fountain in the basement that gives random items each day and the library where you can get recipes? Good game I already spent 95 hours on it :lol .

Well, I've reached 125 hours, and I think I'm starting to get a bit burnt out finally. Really amazing that this game held my attention for so long still. I'll probably continue to fire up the game on Fridays for new quests though.

Ultima_5

I currently have a minstrel, mage, priest, and martial artist...

I'm planning on making the minstrel a warrior, and the priest isn't doing to well... Should I keep the priest?

johnsmith

remember me
Ultima_5 said:
I currently have a minstrel, mage, priest, and martial artist...

I'm planning on making the minstrel a warrior, and the priest isn't doing to well... Should I keep the priest?

Priests are pretty vital for bosses. Though you might be able to get by if the mage has caduceus.

rush777

So my main character is level 99 and the rest of my party is closing in, when do you guys think I should revocate?? I have several maps with MKS but their spawn rate is not great on any of them and I can't see it being too effective to get back to 99 quickly.

Should I keep my main at level 99 until I get a good grotto that spawns several MKS or should I suck it up and revocate now and use the maps with the MKS I have already?

turnbuckle

rush777 said:
So my main character is level 99 and the rest of my party is closing in, when do you guys think I should revocate?? I have several maps with MKS but their spawn rate is not great on any of them and I can't see it being too effective to get back to 99 quickly.

Should I keep my main at level 99 until I get a good grotto that spawns several MKS or should I suck it up and revocate now and use the maps with the MKS I have already?

If you revocate I thought the game took that into account when generating maps. I'm not even close to doing that though so I could be talking out of my arse :p

---

The party I started out with was Warrior, Fighter, Thief, Priest. I haven't used an attack spell on an enemy yet unless a quest called for it and prefer swinging away without having to worry about MP.

rush777

turnbuckle said:
If you revocate I thought the game took that into account when generating maps. I'm not even close to doing that though so I could be talking out of my arse :p

Yeah the amount of times you Revocate does help you get better maps, I'm just curious if I can get a good MKS spawning map before I revocate just to ease the grind back to 99

Vamphuntr

Anyone has a quick way to get Saint's ashes? I have a lot of cursed items and can't find them much. I know the Mini medal guys eventually trade them for medals but it's sorandom to find medals. I think some monsters drop it as a rare item but once again it's tedious.

BooJoh

rush777 said:

I revocated my thief right away because
you get an accessory that increases steal rate
. For the rest of my group, I leveled secondary jobs (Warrior for my Gladiator, Priest for my Sage, Paladin for my Armamentalist) to about 70ish before revocating just so I'd still be able to switch over if I wanted to go after legacy bosses or something.

Vamphuntr said:
Anyone has a quick way to get Saint's ashes? I have a lot of cursed items and can't find them much. I know the Mini medal guys eventually trade them for medals but it's sorandom to find medals. I think some monsters drop it as a rare item but once again it's tedious.
You can rarely steal ashes from Genie Sanguini, but honestly the best way to get them is either grottoes or mini medals. Once you've turned in 80 mini medals, you can trade 8 for one Saint's Ashes. Once you get into running through grottoes the mini medals just start flowing in, at least in my experience. I have like 40+ mini medals and that's after buying 3-5 orichalcum at 15 medals each. Plus you'll get the occasional Saint's Ashes from grotto chests. You can also Half-inch mini medals from Cannibox/Mimic/Pandora's Box and they seem relatively easy to steal from compared to other enemies. Just make sure to use Alma Mater on your priest and Fizzle the box if you can.

And if all else failes, you can farm mini medals by killing legacy bosses a lot (you get a mini medal 100% every kill.)

Forkball

Grotto boss spoilers:

Ok, so I'm getting my ass kicked by a random trauminator. I beat one earlier, but this one has two huge attacks: some giant laserbeam and a giga slash. What the fuck?

And how do I get more recipes? I'm missing so many.

Vamphuntr

BooJoh said:
You can rarely steal ashes from Genie Sanguini, but honestly the best way to get them is either grottoes or mini medals. Once you've turned in 80 mini medals, you can trade 8 for one Saint's Ashes. Once you get into running through grottoes the mini medals just start flowing in, at least in my experience. I have like 40+ mini medals and that's after buying 3-5 orichalcum at 15 medals each. Plus you'll get the occasional Saint's Ashes from grotto chests. You can also Half-inch mini medals from Cannibox/Mimic/Pandora's Box and they seem relatively easy to steal from compared to other enemies. Just make sure to use Alma Mater on your priest and Fizzle the box if you can.

And if all else failes, you can farm mini medals by killing legacy bosses a lot (you get a mini medal 100% every kill.)

I guess I'm unlucky in my treasure map runs. My best maps are level 60-70 gold-platinum level and I almost never get the ashes :(. Maybe I have to get better ones. The fountains in the inn's basement also give medals quite often too.

Koomaster

Forkball said:
Grotto boss spoilers:

Ok, so I'm getting my ass kicked by a random trauminator. I beat one earlier, but this one has two huge attacks: some giant laserbeam and a giga slash. What the fuck?

And how do I get more recipes? I'm missing so many.
Either you got lucky with the first one, or I'm always unlucky with them. They've always had those two attacks whenever I've faced one.

Also I think I've read that some recipes are pure guess-work (use a guide) and that there are no book cases that tell you the recipes. They only get added to the alchenomecon once you create the item.

Forkball

Koomaster said:
Either you got lucky with the first one, or I'm always unlucky with them. They've always had those two attacks whenever I've faced one.

Also I think I've read that some recipes are pure guess-work (use a guide) and that there are no book cases that tell you the recipes. They only get added to the alchenomecon once you create the item.

I ran into another one and he also had the two moves of death. I'm not sure how the first one didn't use them though, maybe the stats on the grotto were low or something.

And the recipe thing is pretty dumb. I don't really need the recipe if I already made it dammit. I guess if I want to make something, I have to have 3+ tabs open on my browser to know what to make and how to make it.

Also, I've found some places when exploring the world that don't make any sense. In the Wyrm area, there's a cave you can only get to via flying. When you go inside, there's a standing skeleton, but it doesn't do anything. Another fly only area is the poison swamp in Gleeba. You can go into the swamp, but there's nothing there except for a few pots. Is there anything special about these places?

Vamphuntr

Forkball said:
And the recipe thing is pretty dumb. I don't really need the recipe if I already made it dammit. I guess if I want to make something, I have to have 3+ tabs open on my browser to know what to make and how to make it.

Making the best stuff is also bloody annoying. You have to get certain drops from legacy bosees or find them in chest in grottoes

Forkball

Ok, I'm doing quest 125 and I can't find
Phoebe's ghost. I've looked all around Batsureg at night and nothing. Where is she exactly?

BooJoh

Forkball said:
Ok, I'm doing quest 125 and I can't find
Phoebe's ghost. I've looked all around Batsureg at night and nothing. Where is she exactly?
On the left side of the middle of town, on the ledge just to the upper right from the church cave. I don't know if you need to go back to Stornway to talk to Erinn and Patty first.

Top Bottom