• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

rpmurphy

Stencil said:
I'm sorry, what do these numbers refer to?
(Thanks for the quick response!)
Oh sorry, the numbers just refer to how many there are in that area. The one on the west continent has more.

Edit:
Question about revocation: is there an advantage to it aside from more skill points and badge? Are base stats boosted in any way?

Vanpira

Regulus Tera said:
Huh, I thought today was NPD day.

Here I was hoping for some numbers on this pearl's success or bomba.

NPD is always second Thursday of the month unless delayed. I expect it will do just fine. I don't see why GAF is expecting it to fail, even to put it into the same category as DQIV and DQV. Those games never were advertised, just dropped into the market, it's like SE didn't care how they did. The marketing for DQIX is much closer to that of a Pokemon game, at the very least I expect around 200,000 for the first month. I also expect it to sell for much longer that the typical RPG. Of course I'm not a sales guru, so what do I know.

Oxx said:
Unless it breaks the top 5, we might never know.
Even if not, Nintendo has the games of their machines, that are in the top 10, in their press release with sales numbers.

Kurtofan

Man that game is good.
It starts out slowly and kind of boring frankly,but once you got the boat it's a really great game.
I have 5 fruits for now and I mostly explore the map:it's funny to discover new towns and the like.
I found an island with cyclops who beat me to a pulp :lol

farnham

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
They reconfirmed it for the Wii a couple weeks ago. And frankly, it's not Square-Enix's decision at all.

I would rather it stay on portables, too, simply because when L5 (if L5 are the developers again) starts pushing the Wii, I fear it will result in another slow awful mess like DQ8. But it is what it is. Horii wants it on the Wii, it will be on the Wii.
Maybe its not being developed by Level 5 but Genious Sonority ?

Cheerilee

Vanpira said:
NPD is always second Thursday of the month unless delayed. I expect it will do just fine. I don't see why GAF is expecting it to fail, even to put it into the same category as DQIV and DQV. Those games never were advertised, just dropped into the market, it's like SE didn't care how they did. The marketing for DQIX is much closer to that of a Pokemon game, at the very least I expect around 200,000 for the first month. I also expect it to sell for much longer that the typical RPG. Of course I'm not a sales guru, so what do I know.

Even if not, Nintendo has the games of their machines, that are in the top 10, in their press release with sales numbers.
The effect of advertising reminds me, just after the game came out, some guy and his girlfriend walked into EB and asked "What's that game Seth Green was selling?" The clerk easily responds "Dragon Quest." The guy says "Never heard of it." The clerk (slightly miffed) says "It's only one of the longest running series in videogames. Like Final Fantasy." The guy says cheerfully "Oh, I've heard of Final Fantasy. So which one is this one?" and really obviously cranes his head around the store. The clerk comes around the counter and hands them a display copy off the DS wall. The guy and girl look at the back of the box and whisper to each other for a bit, then the guy says scornfully "Oh, it's one of THOSE games" and just puts the box down on the counter as they walk out the door.

One the one hand, I want to know what the heck he was thinking, but on the other hand, he's clearly an idiot.

Best level for the end boss? I'm currently 43/44/44/44 but his paralysis spells are contributing to him kicking my ass. I could grind to 50 or so but that will take ages.

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Best level for the end boss? I'm currently 43/44/44/44 but his paralysis spells are contributing to him kicking my ass. I could grind to 50 or so but that will take ages.
Erm, you really ought to be alright. He's very beatable in the late 30s. What jobs are you using?

Cheerilee

zigg said:
What does that even mean?

Do I even want to know? God. People. Ugh.
And there's nothing even on the back of the box one way or the other.

"Your Adventure Awaits"
"Create your own hero to suit your style"
Two screenshots of a glowing tree and a character creation mode.

Seth Green tells him to wear a fur poncho on his date and he's all "Okay dude" and walks into a store to hand over his money, but the back of the box somehow scares him away.

DQVC update adds Angelo as a hotel guest.

You can get his Hat(in this case its his hairstyle), Pants and Top

Talk to him as a priest, talk to him for the first time, and talk to him when you have the birthday accolade equipped and the system is you birth date.

Just finished it! :D Boss didn't give me much trouble on my 4th attempt :)

43 hours on the clock and I absolutely loved every last second of this. The design-your-own-party and episodic story aspects of the game seemed odd at first, but in the end I grew to love my characters and really cared about each little story in the game.

This is definitely my current GOTY and one of the most enjoyable experienced I have had this entire generation :)

Despite currently playing two other RPGs - Persona 3 Portable and Arc Rise Fantasia - I'm very tempted to put them aside for the moment and get more of a Dragon Quest fix. I could:

- Finish off DQ IV. I'm probably more than 75% through the game.
- Restart DQ VIII.
- Start DQ V, which has been on my shelf for a year and a half.

I'm always hearing great things about V so may start into that over the weekend.

Wichu

JustAnotherOtaku said:

43 hours on the clock and I absolutely loved every last second of this. The design-your-own-party and episodic story aspects of the game seemed odd at first, but in the end I grew to love my characters and really cared about each little story in the game.

This is definitely my current GOTY and one of the most enjoyable experienced I have had this entire generation :)

Despite currently playing two other RPGs - Persona 3 Portable and Arc Rise Fantasia - I'm very tempted to put them aside for the moment and get more of a Dragon Quest fix. I could:

- Restart DQ VIII.

I'm always hearing great things about V so may start into that over the weekend.
Or you could try the post-game ;)

JustAnotherOtaku said:

- Restart DQ VIII.

I envy you for being able to experience DQV for the first time. <3 DQV so much.

Segata Sanshiro said:
DQ8 sucks, finish DQ4, then tear into that sweet sweet DQ5.

I enjoyed VIII but not sure if I want to restart the whole game having played it before. IV would be my first choice but my main issue is that I have no idea where I am. Pretty sure I'm in chapter 5 and need a wand or cane or something but other than that I've no clue :p

V is very tempting...

thefil

ExtraKr1spy said:
DQVC update adds Angelo as a hot guest.

Talk to him as a priest, talk to him for the first time, and talk to him when you have the birthday accolade equipped and the system is you birth date.

I don't understand this, can you get Angelo as a party member?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
ExtraKr1spy said:
DQVC update adds Angelo as a hot guest.

Eep. Angelo. <3

How many hot guests have I missed? I only have Alena. :\

Like Alena, Angelo's equipment isn't all that strong now that I'm doing post game stuff but it should be good until about a little past halfway in the game. His hairstyle/head gear is kinda cool though changes up my characters appearance and gives +12 to Mending Magic.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Segata Sanshiro said:
You can't miss the guests. Angelo is the second one so far. Someone who just logged in today would get Alena and Angelo.
Thank you, kind sir.

Anybody got the requirements to get Alena's gear then? I only got the dress.

Princess Skittles said:
Thank you, kind sir.

1) Talk to her once
2) Be a martial artist of a certain level (15 maybe?)
3) Talk to her on your birthday

Princess Skittles said:
Thank you, kind sir.

Talk to her with main character as their profession- Martial Artist for Alena, Priest for Angelo
Talk to her when you have the birthday boy boy/girl accolade and you have your profile set to show your birthday. Wait until its your actual birthday or set the DS date to it.

The other two involve doing a quest later on(#15Xsomething) and getting 30-some tags.

edit: beat

bigdaddygamebot said:
Does your main have to be a martial artist or can any of your characters?

main

bigdaddygamebot said:
Does your main have to be a martial artist or can any of your characters?
Has to be the main. Might not be a level requirement though. I don't recall.

That 30 tag one is going to be a bitch for everyone.

zigg

Segata Sanshiro said:

Tags, or inn residents? I've managed 10 (of both) so far from my save-swapping activities. It is certainly a chore, though.

Hoping I'll pick up at least a few at BB this weekend.

zigg said:
Tags, or inn residents? I've managed 10 (of both) so far from my save-swapping activities. It is certainly a chore, though.

Hoping I'll pick up at least a few at BB this weekend.
Tags are sufficient. You can delete them and tag the same person again and that count will work towards the requirement.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
WooooOOOoo! Got my first map with King metal slimes, it's funny because I didn't realize it - I was going to run right to the bottom of the map and I accidentally ran into this monster that looks like a giant Easter Island Head. Then I go into combat and it's the head and Three King Metal Slimes. I lucked out and killed 2/3. Since then I've gotten to level 55-60, great stuffz!

zigg

Kinitari said:
WooooOOOoo! Got my first map with King metal slimes, it's funny because I didn't realize it - I was going to run right to the bottom of the map and I accidentally ran into this monster that looks like a giant Easter Island Head. Then I go into combat and it's the head and Three King Metal Slimes. I lucked out and killed 2/3. Since then I've gotten to level 55-60, great stuffz!

What level map is that?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Has to be the main. Might not be a level requirement though. I don't recall.

So...here's how I'm thinking of an end around for the 30 tag "problem"

I have two DS' and two copies of the game.

I've already tagged the second game's character. Can I delete it, then make a brand new character and tag it. Delete that one, make another, tag it...etc.

Repeat up to 30 tags?

Yes...I'm aware of how much work that is.

Yaweee

bigdaddygamebot said:

I've already tagged the second game's character. Can I delete it, then make a brand new character and tag it. Delete that one, make another, tag it...etc.

Repeat up to 30 tags?

You could just get an Action Replay and hack your game to think it has 30 tags. It would save you many, many hours.

bigdaddygamebot said:

Repeat up to 30 tags?

Yes, you can. Or, even easier:

Tag the second game's character. Erase them from your Inn. Tag the second game's character again. Erase them from your Inn. Do that til you have 30, which will give you the final Inn upgrade and unlock everything that can be unlocked aside from some accolades.

If you do it that way, the whole process should take under an hour easily.

Yaweee said:
You could just get an Action Replay and hack your game to think it has 30 tags. It would save you many, many hours.

I'm worried about saved data corruption with that. I was a game genie user back in the day...but I've heard some dodgy things about the Action Replays.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, you can. Or, even easier:

Tag the second game's character. Erase them from your Inn. Tag the second game's character again. Erase them from your Inn. Do that til you have 30, which will give you the final Inn upgrade and unlock everything that can be unlocked aside from some accolades.

If you do it that way, the whole process should take under an hour easily.

Hot.

So it's not 30 individual people. It's just 30 "tags" So uhm...how do you delete someone from the Inn? Sorry, I don't have my DS with me today.

bigdaddygamebot said:
I'm worried about saved data corruption with that. I was a game genie user back in the day...but I've heard some dodgy things about the Action Replays.

Hot.

So it's not 30 individual people. It's just 30 "tags" So uhm...how do you delete someone from the Inn? Sorry, I don't have my DS with me today.
Easy peasy. Just check your guest book by talking to Erinn, click on their name, and choose the option to send them on their way.

botticus

I finished all the quests I could find by visiting every city in my Zoom list, ended up with 90 (which should include the downloadable ones). Obviously missing a bunch, the majority of which are probably the 30/100 quests for weapons I haven't used, but I think that's about it for me. I'll keep it in my DS for the occasional spelunking.

zigg

bigdaddygamebot said:

Poking around online I'm seeing reports of freezes and save loss with AR codes and this game as well. I'm sure it's rare, but it's something I personally would rather not mess with myself. Particularly when there's a way that uses game functionality.

Of course, I also actually want 30 people in my inn. :D

Segata Sanshiro said:
Easy peasy. Just check your guest book by talking to Erinn, click on their name, and choose the option to send them on their way.

You're the best Segata Sanshiro I've ever not met.

Thanks man.

zigg said:
Poking around online I'm seeing reports of freezes and save loss with AR codes and this game as well. I'm sure it's rare, but it's something I personally would rather not mess with myself. Particularly when there's a way that uses game functionality.

Of course, I also actually want 30 people in my inn. :D

Same here. I'm gonna do it the sneaky way like Segata advised.

It's a D&D weekend and I have four buddies showing up that are all playing DX IX as well so I'll get a FEW tags but the delete and re-tag thing is going to be SO much faster. Now I'm excited to see what it opens up but I don't want to spoil it so I'm going to avoid google until I can get it done.

:D

I just got to DQVC and are there supposed to be some "godly" items there? There was a few healing items and few lady clothes but nothing out of the ordinary... Does it changes from day to day or do I have to be faster to connect or what?

Melhisedek said:
I just got to DQVC and are there supposed to be some "godly" items there? There was a few healing items and few lady clothes but nothing out of the ordinary... Does it changes from day to day or do I have to be faster to connect or what?
Changes from day to day, largely random, absolutely nothing to do with anyone else.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's random per user and changes every day at 8am GMT, if I haven't got my timezone wrong. Some weeks are dedicated to themes. This week's theme was summer items. Last week's theme was alchemy items. The first few days after the game came out there were no themes to the releases, and some people scored crazy shit like a Miracle Sword.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
I wonder if any campus-ers (spell check is suggesting CompuServe!) during this election year will go campusing with their DSs...

Boney

Banned
Ok, so I just cleared Zere Rocks, and I went for my first treasure dungeon right away. I'm a bit underleveled because I changed all my clases when I had the chance, not nothing too big.

Didn't have enough trouble with the regular monsters down there, but my god, that boss fight kicked my ass bad!

How much longer do I have to wait to tackle this.. I'm around lvl 18

turnbuckle

Segata Sanshiro said:
They reconfirmed it for the Wii a couple weeks ago. And frankly, it's not Square-Enix's decision at all.

I would rather it stay on portables, too, simply because when L5 (if L5 are the developers again) starts pushing the Wii, I fear it will result in another slow awful mess like DQ8. But it is what it is. Horii wants it on the Wii, it will be on the Wii.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. Dragon Quest VIII would've been almost perfect if it were about 25% faster.

Top Bottom