• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

Jacobbles

So are you telling me I'm putting all this effort into making a nice neat town in chapter 1, and then it's not gonna matter later?

I was under the impression that Cantlin was THE town, that you just keep building on until the end of the game :(

TheExodu5

Banned
Damn...I kind of regret not getting this on PS4. Just tried Remote Play with the demo...it runs so much better than the native Vita version

Roubjon

I put so much work into the main town, it's so awesome now. I have no idea where my day went as soon as I started the game for the first time today. So ridiculously addictive. It's like Fallout 4 Settlement Buildling: The Game, except it's not janky and shit.

Tidalwave

So are you telling me I'm putting all this effort into making a nice neat town in chapter 1, and then it's not gonna matter later?

I was under the impression that Cantlin was THE town, that you just keep building on until the end of the game :(
Im hoping someone can clear this up. This kind of game seems pointless if it just scraps all the hard work you do.

Caim

Im hoping someone can clear this up. This kind of game seems pointless if it just scraps all the hard work you do.

Chapters are handled as different maps because it's a different village. Which means there is a reset after each chapter. Resources don't transfer from one chapter to the next, nor does your equipment, but you retain your recipes.

Finally done with Chapter 1.

I couldn't build a garden because I was out of orange flowers, lol. I searched the entire level and could not find any. I was missing only one too. It took me a little over an hour, and nothing.

I am very glad chapter 2 offers new music! The overworld theme of chapter 1 was getting on my nerves with how depressing it was.

And yes, you do not carry anything in chapter 2, except for the list of buildings you have made along with their requirements.

SkyOdin

No, Cantlin is just chapter 1. Chapter is a completely different beast that asks you to start from scratch, but gives you a completely different tech tree to climb up. It isn't a retreading of what you did before; the game gives you a whole bunch of new materials, new rooms, and new challenges to work with.

Honestly, I am really enjoying it.

Restarting never really got to me. It's so different per island that I was fine leaving my shit behind. I was "done" with it anyway, and I only ever put in work on the free mode (and not even that much considering I don't like building things minecraft style, I just like the whole system of DQB).

Ahh, tomorrow's the day finally. Never been so excited to play a game I've already halfway completed but in English since..Gundam Breaker 3 I guess.

Yeah starting from semi-scratch at chapter 2 kind of bummed me out, until I started learning all sorts of new stuff. You're still getting quests and it introduces new mechanics that are keeping me occupied.

I haven't messed around with it too much at all but I'm hoping terra incognita mode (the sandbox mode that opens after beating chapter 1) has villagers and all that, so you can take everything you've learned from all the chapters and build out a huge city with people in it doing stuff.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Doing a speed run of Chapter 1,

There is A TON of stuff you can get ready before time starts moving.
Before first nightfall I got the first
teleportal.

After doing some reading about Free Play mode, I decided to go for all the challenges.

Ah, look for blocks that have black/silver/copper blobs in them in the teleportal world. Usually on the sides of hills or in caves.

Yes, caves will give you all you will need and then-some.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I was thinking of slowly rebuilding that derelict castle you come across in the first chapter. Is that something that goes away after you finish the chapter too? Wouldn't want to get attached to it if that's the case...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I was thinking of slowly rebuilding that derelict castle you come across in the first chapter. Is that something that goes away after you finish the chapter too? Wouldn't want to get attached to it if that's the case...

Considering NPCs wont go living in it kinda odd to want to rebuild it.

But yeah any time you finish up a scenario you are taken to a totally new area. So do try not to get too attached to anything lol

Begaria

I found the Talaria shoes that allow you to double jump. Such a game changer. For those of you who haven't found them, check one of the caves behind the castle for a littl sidequest. Well worth it to explore in this game and not just follow the quests the town NPCs give you. in chapter 1 that is

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Considering NPCs wont go living in it kinda odd to want to rebuild it.

But yeah any time you finish up a scenario you are taken to a totally new area. So do try not to get too attached to anything lol

You can go back.. but... yeah.

I'd just work on building a castle in Free Mode.

Free mode is not a tacked on mode.

Feature Spoiler:
You can even order in monster attacks.

I found the Talaria shoes that allow you to double jump. Such a game changer. For those of you who haven't found them, check one of the caves behind the castle for a littl sidequest. Well worth it to explore in this game and not just follow the quests the town NPCs give you. in chapter 1 that is

hmm, probably worth getting those during a speed run.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Doing a speed run of Chapter 1,

There is A TON of stuff you can get ready before time starts moving.
Before first nightfall I got the first
teleportal.

After doing some reading about Free Play mode, I decided to go for all the challenges.

Yes, caves will give you all you will need and then-some.

Just want to confirm. Do the challenges stack up? Like in one save of Chapter 1, you did 4/5 challenges (no speedrun), then the next save of Chapter 1, you completed the speed run, will it stack and will you get the All Challenges trophy?

Suikoguy

Just want to confirm. Do the challenges stack up? Like in one save of Chapter 1, you did 4/5 challenges (no speedrun), then the next save of Chapter 1, you completed the speed run, will it stack and will you get the All Challenges trophy?

Good question...

Worst case; you do the speed run, save after the boss, and then complete the other challenges. I'll see if I can confirm if they stack. I suspect they do by the way the menu is setup.

I'm nearing the end of chapter 1, but I want to know, in free play do you have townspeople and do attacks on the town happen? Or is it really just free building a la minecraft? I don't mind starting over even though a spent a good amount of time on my town, since it's fun creating things for the people and test different defenses against attacks.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Good question...

Worst case; you do the speed run, save after the boss, and then complete the other challenges. I'll see if I can confirm if they stack. I suspect they do by the way the menu is setup.

Thanks, I need to know because I really want to platinum the game. :(

Parakeetman

I'm nearing the end of chapter 1, but I want to know, in free play do you have townspeople and do attacks on the town happen? Or is it really just free building a la minecraft? I don't mind starting over even though a spent a good amount of time on my town, since it's fun creating things for the people and test different defenses against attacks.

Dont think free mode has any hostile monsters in it. Its kinda like minecrafts creative mode so to speak. Where you are free from the stress of survival mode.

Suikoguy

Dont think free mode has any hostile monsters in it. Its kinda like minecrafts creative mode so to speak. Where you are free from the stress of survival mode.

The Official Strategy guide talks about Ticket Battles, so aside from the monsters you encounter on the islands you unlock as you finish the main game, you can also have monsters attack a base on a separate island called Terra Gladiatoria.

You can't have monsters attack the primary free play island.

Woop, just got that.

Also ROFL try to use a Chimaera wing under a roof. Did not see that coming at all.

This game is clever.

That's a Dragon Quest series staple. The Chimera Wing thing. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't in!

Contents of caves changes every time you start a new game or start a new chapter, so the items and quests will not be in the same place for everyone.

I got the shoes that negate falling damage and that's great. It is especially nice since they're always in the Pyramid if I recall correctly. I also finally found the Hammerhood in charge of the graveyard to finish the Talaria shoes quest. And I remembered to take a shovel with me this time to dig up plants!

I have a love/hate relationship with this desert. It opens up so much cool stuff in the first chapter, but everything is yellow/orange.

Jacobbles

When do you unlock free build? And if I build a nice town in that, will people move in?

I just want to build a big city and have people populate it. That's the dream.

Really enjoying this game so far though, even if I do never get to live that dream, I'm having a great time.

mothball

I haven't messed around with it too much at all but I'm hoping terra incognita mode (the sandbox mode that opens after beating chapter 1) has villagers and all that, so you can take everything you've learned from all the chapters and build out a huge city with people in it doing stuff.

Generic villagers and friendly monsters will randomly show up to join your town in free mode.

Yes, they do stack that way.

SkyOdin

Yes. My brother got 3 out of 5 challenges clear after beating the chapter. He then went back and cleared the fourth challenge and beat the chapter over. When he did, three of the challenges were already marked as clear, and only the new one was added as a new challenge cleared.

So cleared challenges are definitly saved as part of the game's system data instead of being attached to individual save files.

Ferr986

I hope DQBuilders 2 follows a non chapter progression, and also be more open ended instead of just tiny island linked by teleports.

Loving the game but seems like devs were too afraid of people getting lost.

There's NPCs in free mode but they don't stay forever, they leave after a couple of days and new ones appear.

Parakeetman

I hope DQBuilders 2 follows a non chapter progression, and also be more open ended instead of just tiny island linked by teleports.

Loving the game but seems like devs were too afraid of people getting lost.

There's NPCs in free mode but they don't stay forever, they leave after a couple of days and new ones appear.

Seeing how people cant find stuff on these "tiny islands" honestly I think they made the right choice.

Ferr986

Seeing how people cant find stuff on these "tiny islands" honestly I think they made the right choice.

Well yeah I understand that. I dunno, I wish the progression was more open ended. I think I should stop comparing it to Minecraft I guess.

Still loving the game btw, don't get me wrong.

I've completed Chapter 1 last night. Here are, so far, my requests for a sequel:

-One giant open world; that is, no chapters or islands sectored off by teleporters.
-Monsters stop attacking your settlement after the area boss has been defeated.
-Multiplayer
-Larger inventory

Shahed

Not a fan of Minecraft and was quite disappointed by Heroes, but I thought I'd give the demo a whirl.

Turned out to be surprisingly fun and I quite enjoyed it! Maybe it'll change and get tiresome later but from what i played this definitely warrants a purchase. I was so tempted to go and buy it straight away, but I'm busy at the moment with stuff and I really shouldn't be buying any games now to distract me. But I'll definitely be getting this soon!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've completed Chapter 1 last night. Here are, so far, my requests for a sequel:

-One giant open world; that is, no chapters or islands sectored off by teleporters.
-Multiplayer
-Larger inventory

I agree with the first 3. The inventory though, isn't that what the coffer is for? I've never found myself needing more space. Blocks take up a ton of space, so I just dump stacks of 99 every once in a while.

Also, the desert is awesome. The Blacksmith has made my life so much better.

Anyone tinker with the Free Build stuff?

Hobbun

Is there a way to tell what day you are on?

There are challenges you can complete to finish a chapter within ‘x’ amount of days.

If this has been answered already, I apologize.

Now that I have the full game I actually realized that any item you can use with square causes the framerate stutter, not just building blocks and the like. You can still avoid it, but it's a bit more annoying since you can't just leave it on a healing item or whatever.

Aeana

-Multiplayer
-Larger inventory
The first one is one of the reasons I like this game when I didn't like games like Minecraft. I get very bored in open worlds. I'm glad this doesn't have one.

Hobbun

Now that I have the full game I actually realized that any item you can use with square causes the framerate stutter, not just building blocks and the like. You can still avoid it, but it's a bit more annoying since you can't just leave it on a healing item or whatever.

I’ve actually noticed the small stuttering whenever I’m moving or rotating my view (with right analog).

It is a bit irritating, so I hope they do patch it. But it isn’t something so irritating it is preventing me from playing.

Tanston

Once you unlock freebuild mode can you have multiple free build save slots? Or is the area big enough that I could do everything I can imagine in one save?

Shahed

Actually screw it I decided to just buy it on the way home from work. Started it again and I'm having fun once more. Woukd have liked my demo progress to carry over but oh well.

The only misgiving I have is the menu being X button which is the same as the interact button. Sometimes I'll try to talk to someone or craft something only to open the menu. Would have preferred it elsewhere like the should buttons, touchpad or anhwhere else.

Top Bottom