• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

daebo

Once you unlock freebuild mode can you have multiple free build save slots? Or is the area big enough that I could do everything I can imagine in one save?

Yeah, I believe you can. And there is an island reset option. Too afraid to click it after I've already spent 5 hours working in free mode. Don't know if it resets everything or just resets the other islands where you get materials from.

Ragarra

Yeah, I believe you can. And there is an island reset option. Too afraid to click it after I've already spent 5 hours working in free mode. Don't know if it resets everything or just resets the other islands where you get materials from.

Could always export your save file to a flash drive, then use the reset and if it does blow up everything, just reimport the save from the flash drive and over write the file.

Do it... for science!

Been working on chapter 3 for a while. I honestly like starting fresh in each chapter. It gets me thinking about new ways to build up a town. And if I feel so inclined, I can go back to an older save and continue on my previous towns.
Chapter 2 was cool in that it had a different focus than just building a strong fort. It also had a very oppressive atmosphere.
Chapter 3 feels like a continuation of chapter 1 so far, with more combat though. And some resources are harder to come by.

The first one is one of the reasons I like this game when I didn't like games like Minecraft. I get very bored in open worlds. I'm glad this doesn't have one.

Really? I got bored of Minecraft because of how directionless and aimless it was. I don't think Builders would suffer from those if it adopted an open-world. Mind you, I am not saying the game should discard its different environments; just that everything is accessible in the same playspace. I would still ask for different towns and villagers and all that.

edit: how about this idea: take the levels of the current game and leave them exactly like they are, except for the following two changes:
1. the islands are not sectored off by teleporters, but by a bridge that the player must build in order to cross between them after the required objectives are met.
2. The group of islands forming a chapter are not in a different playspace (as it is in the current game), but are sectored off by teleporters. So when you move from one cluster of islands to another, there is no loading screen: the camera just moves super fast to where you are teleported, so the player keeps the feeling of being in one giant world. Also, if the player really desires it, he or she can build a long-ass bridge connecting the cluster of islands to the former ones he or she has visited.

zMiiChy-

Banned
I'm trying to complete all the chaperone one challenges, and I'm stuck on the garden one.

Does anyone know how to obtain water for the garden?
I can't find out how on my own or online :/

hear4beer

Is it possible to obtain curious contraptions in terra incognita? Been having a blast messing around in there between chapters and would love to get the basher in there.

hear4beer

It only resets the islands you gather materials from so don't worry about accidentally deleting all your creations.

Ferr986

Really? I got bored of Minecraft because of how directionless and aimless it was. I don't think Builders would suffer from those if it adopted an open-world. Mind you, I am not saying the game should discard its different environments; just that everything is accessible in the same playspace. I would still ask for different towns and villagers and all that.

edit: how about this idea: take the levels of the current game and leave them exactly like they are, except for the following two changes:
1. the islands are not sectored off by teleporters, but by a bridge that the player must build in order to cross between them after the required objectives are met.
2. The group of islands forming a chapter are not in a different playspace (as it is in the current game), but are sectored off by teleporters. So when you move from one cluster of islands to another, there is no loading screen: the camera just moves super fast to where you are teleported, so the player keeps the feeling of being in one giant world. Also, if the player really desires it, he or she can build a long-ass bridge connecting the cluster of islands to the former ones he or she has visited.

Or just let you build a boat to travel to the other islands.
Teleporters would be the method to travel between cities once you build the teleportariums.

boooga

Neo Member

I love the idea of building bridges to new areas instead of having to teleport to them. I wonder if the areas are sectioned off because of technical limitations, maybe? It has to work on a Vita, after all...

I had to tear myself away from this game at 1 AM last night. I'm still in Chapter 1—taking things pretty slow. I actually just went exploring and stumbled upon the
abandoned castle
by accident. I was able to complete that quest before receiving it, and it was cool to find something like that with no prompting.

Haven't been this taken by a game in a long, long time.

Catman

Banned
Finally got account activated, yay!

I was playing this game sooooo much yesterday. I spent hours and hours building up my town, and then when I got to that first fight with the Golum, I was so upset because he destroy a shit ton of it, lol.

Bolivar687

Banned
Finally got account activated, yay!

I was playing this game sooooo much yesterday. I spent hours and hours building up my town, and then when I got to that first fight with the Golum, I was so upset because he destroy a shit ton of it, lol.

Congrats and welcome.

MrHoot

God this game is so addictive. And I have it on vita so everywhere I go i can spend even LESS TIME SOCIALIZING WOO

Although my game projects are gonna slow down I'm afraid..

Figured out my room building issue. I was building outside of the highlighted area. Is there any way to rotate items? I'm near the end of ch 1 and building the steel stockade I cannot place the idol without destroying most of the work I've done.

Figured out my room building issue. I was building outside of the highlighted area. Is there any way to rotate items? I'm near the end of ch 1 and building the steel stockade I cannot place the idol without destroying most of the work I've done.

You can not rotate items. However, you will only need to destroy four blocks to place those statues. You can probably guess which ones, but the ends that jut out under the lights, just hammer those, hold the statue, and face a little diagonal when you go to place it.

Loved loved the demo; but this game is $60 on Canada's PSN. Way too steep for a digital only game as I'd get this for Vita.

Too bad.

Catman

Banned
Welllll shit, if I go through this portal, all the stuff I did in Cantlin will be for nothing? I built super tall buildings and stuff, darn it lol

Shahed

You know how when you build a room with a door, 2 stack wall and a light source? Can you build a town? Because I've got the stairs and park benches and stuff but I get no points from them. Am I missing something or can you not complete a town and get the points from decorating it?

You know how when you build a room with a door, 2 stack wall and a light source? Can you build a town? Because I've got the stairs and park benches and stuff but I get no points from them. Am I missing something or can you not complete a town and get the points from decorating it?
As far as I know, you only get points for things that are in rooms. Building the Watchtower Blueprint (required by the story) isn't worth any points because it isn't defined as a room. The room points tally does include the points for the blocks that make up the walls and floors as well, and any decorative items that are placed inside those parameters. Windows will count, as they take the place of the wall blocks, and so on.

I got a "Garden" blueprint or room from doing a side quest, but I haven't built it yet. If I recall correctly, it is also walled off. "Bench" is the type of item that determines if a room is a garden. You just have to be careful not to make it too large.

This image may help: http://m.imgur.com/tq92hvn?r

In my experience, some rooms will not count as the upgraded version until the story requires it, like the ones related to your crafting room.

My order got pushed back by two weeks. I'm going to keep it, but I can't wait any longer, Back to the Japanese version I go. Guess I'll play the English version down the line.

On another note, fuck this game is fun. Started a fresh run and seeing that asshole Green Dragon chilling out got me shook.

Shahed

As far as I know, you only get points for things that are in rooms. Building the Watchtower Blueprint (required by the story) isn't worth any points because it isn't defined as a room. The room points tally does include the points for the blocks that make up the walls and floors as well, and any decorative items that are placed inside those parameters. Windows will count, as they take the place of the wall blocks, and so on.

I got a "Garden" blueprint or room from doing a side quest, but I haven't built it yet. If I recall correctly, it is also walled off. "Bench" is the type of item that determines if a room is a garden. You just have to be careful not to make it too large.

This image may help: http://m.imgur.com/tq92hvn?r

In my experience, some rooms will not count as the upgraded version until the story requires it, like the ones related to your crafting room.
Thanks that helps a lot. I was just curious since steps and stuff give points but I haven't seen a need to use them in a room and put them outside instead.

Noogy

How does the Vita version look / run compared to PS4?

I'm guessing you meant PS4?
I've only played the demos of both, but the Vita version is fantastic. It seems to be a locked 30fps, vs 60 on PS4, but it's not a huge issue on such a small screen. I found the image quality on both to be excellent.

Wish I wasn't so busy, I'd totally pick this up.

TheExodu5

Banned
How does the Vita version look / run compared to PS4?

Vita version is 30fps, though it does drop below that quite regularly. No really major drops, but performance isn't quite perfect. Resolution is quite good, though not quite native.

Ps4 version seems like a locked 60fps, though there's noticeable jitter if you're holding an object which ruins the otherwise smooth 60fps. Resolution is great. Better draw distance than the Vita version as well.

I tried Remote Play on the Vita and it really makes me wish I got the PS4 version instead. Perfectly smooth 60fps on the Vita with remote play is great.

If you see yourself playing this more at home than on the go, get the PS4 version and with remote play you can have the best of both worlds.

The game said decorations only count if it is within two blocks in a room, but I thought maybe I could set the door, and then have stairs going down one block into the room so that the floor and door are still within two blocks, with the decorations are below the door. Seems like the game doesn't allow for that, though I ended up just putting the downward stairs right outside the door; so basically the same outcome. Also, the limitation on the (ch. 2)
water
blocks needing to be on ground level is unfortunate, though I see why they would make it that way since then you'd have to deal with people making holes below it.

Overall still loving the game though. Really like the change in activities you have to do in chapter 2 compared to chapter 1.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The game said decorations only count if it is within two blocks in a room, but I thought maybe I could set the door, and then have stairs going down one block into the room so that the floor and door are still within two blocks, with the decorations are below the door. Seems like the game doesn't allow for that, though I ended up just putting the downward stairs right outside the door; so basically the same outcome. Also, the limitation on the (ch. 2)
water
blocks needing to be on ground level is unfortunate, though I see why they would make it that way since then you'd have to deal with people making holes below it.

Overall still loving the game though. Really like the change in activities you have to do in chapter 2 compared to chapter 1.

So if I understand you correctly, you can't make multi level rooms (that count for score)?

So if I understand you correctly, you can't make multi level rooms (that count for score)?

Yeah, decorations will only count if they are on the same height as the door, or one block height above it. You can't have the door be the higher block, then the floor be the lower one;
the decorations one height below the door won't count for the score as well as for creating specific rooms that give town bonuses.

I thought maybe you could go lower if you didn't have anything above the door, but seems like that doesn't count as a room.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah, decorations will only count if they are on the same height as the door, or one block height above it. You can't have the door be the higher block, then the floor be the lower one;
the decorations one height below the door won't count for the score as well as for creating specific rooms that give town bonuses.

I thought maybe you could go lower if you didn't have anything above the door, but seems like that doesn't count as a room.

Could you create a giant subterranean room below the town and just load it up with decorations?

Ydelnae

I built an interior with staircases to a lower level because I don't have any space left in the town to build the different houses I was asked to, but somehow the game is not detecting it as a room. What am I doing wrong?
nvm, it was answered as I typed this lol

Also, I put the DLC code on PSN and selected the DLC pack, but it doesn't appear on my library or downloads. Where is it?

Catman

Banned
Also, I put the DLC code on PSN and selected the DLC pack, but it doesn't appear on my library or downloads. Where is it?

I also have noticed this problem. It doesn't look like this day one DLC exists yet...I was able to redeem it, but when I try to find someplace to download it, there doesn't seem to be a way. On the PS4, there is no store/dlc listed under activity. On the PSN website, if I go to my download list, it doesn't give me an option to download to PS4, and when I click on one of them, there doesn't exist a webpage for any of them.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I love the idea of building bridges to new areas instead of having to teleport to them. I wonder if the areas are sectioned off because of technical limitations, maybe? It has to work on a Vita, after all...

I had to tear myself away from this game at 1 AM last night. I'm still in Chapter 1—taking things pretty slow. I actually just went exploring and stumbled upon the
abandoned castle
by accident. I was able to complete that quest before receiving it, and it was cool to find something like that with no prompting.

Haven't been this taken by a game in a long, long time.

Id imagine its more a data management thing and the devs did not want to write code so that the game remembers everything in the whole world. So they designed it so that the world is broken up into specific areas instead.

gwarm01

Is there a restriction on room size? I tried making a giant room in my town but it didn't register as one. Maybe I was just missing a block somewhere.

Gonna try out the Vita demo to see if it's worth picking up for those boring rides on public transit.

Right now I've just gotten hooked on MH4U, so it might be hard to pull me away from that.

Catman

Banned
Is there a restriction on room size? I tried making a giant room in my town but it didn't register as one. Maybe I was just missing a block somewhere.

One of the most common problems I didn't realize at first when I was trying to make large rooms, is you have to have a light source within the bottom 2 squares. If you have them too high, they aren't recognized as part of the room.

mothball

How strict/difficult are the speed run challenges? Just curious - I'm pickin this up after I finish DQVII!

The only one you might need to plan for is chapter 2, because a mechanic in it involves passing time.

You can't, for example, have a 3+ block tall room with stuff on the higher levels counting for score, but you can stack an entirely separate room on top of that room's roof.

Max room size is 100 squares of area, with a limit of 32 in one direction (i.e. 1x32 is the thinnest, longest room possible). As a side note, the world's height limit is 31 blocks.

Could you create a giant subterranean room below the town and just load it up with decorations?

You can only dig about one block below the town (to sea level), and a room needs 2 blocks of height.

Those who preordered from Amazon: Did Amazon send an email with the code for the preorder bonus battle tickets or whatever?

In addition to my copy (plus another item) arriving late, it looks like I didn't get half of the preorder bonuses.

ViolentP

Those who preordered from Amazon: Did Amazon send an email with the code for the preorder bonus battle tickets or whatever?

In addition to my copy (plus another item) arriving late, it looks like I didn't get half of the preorder bonuses.

I haven't received any codes yet.

Camisado

I'm probably just being dumb, but having just started chapter 2, I can't find any food at all anywhere, the only way I'm staying alive at the moment is by almost starving to death and then taking advantage of sleep restoring HP. Am I missing something super obvious?

I'm probably just being dumb, but having just started chapter 2, I can't find any food at all anywhere, the only way I'm staying alive at the moment is by almost starving to death and then taking advantage of sleep restoring HP. Am I missing something super obvious?
You should be able to find green beans if you find green grass.

SkyOdin

Yeah, rooms have a maximum square-foot size limit. Otherwise, the entire base would default to being one giant room as soon as you build a defensive wall.

That depends on the geography of your town. In the first town, it is totally possible, since the town is built on a plateau. You can dig an extensive underground for the city if you so choose.

I recommend building a proper kitchen as soon as possible, so the NPCs will makes free food for you. Also, the toadstools can be cooked. You can also find beans on the hills. If you are both desperate and brave, you can fight Chimeras for their eggs.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm kind of confused after picking up wheat for the first time and discovering the bread recipe... but I can't make bread in the kitchen. Is there a required upgrade?

Top Bottom