• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

1upsuper

Those who preordered from Amazon: Did Amazon send an email with the code for the preorder bonus battle tickets or whatever?

In addition to my copy (plus another item) arriving late, it looks like I didn't get half of the preorder bonuses.

My copy arrived yesterday but I still haven't received my pre-order bonus from Amazon either. Wasn't sure if I should contact customer support or just wait a few more days.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm excited for the free build mode. I'm nearing the end of chapter 1 and haven't done much to my town outside of a whatever is necessary to hit 5. I don't want to spend oodles of time on it just to have it become abandoned.

Building your town piece by piece feels extremely satisfying. At the start I just randomly placed a room here and there, but later taking down walls again to optimize the layout and make the most of the space you have just feels great. I'm definitely getting attached to my little village. I don't condider myself a creative person but I'm having fun making small themed rooms and stuff.

Pippa wants me. How do I marry her?

I guess you didn't get to the part yet where she wants her own room. :(

Atomski

This game is kind of a pain if you are already use to these kinda building games.

Feels like a chore going through all these quests to unlock stuff.

Unknown?

Building your town piece by piece feels extremely satisfying. At the start I just randomly placed a room here and there, but later taking down walls again to optimize the layout and make the most of the space you have just feels great. I'm definitely getting attached to my little village. I don't condider myself a creative person but I'm having fun making small themed rooms and stuff.

I guess you didn't get to the part yet where she wants her own room. :(

It does I have a luxurious master bedroom on the second story with a large balcony just for me! ^_^ I also have double thick walls and spikes all around the perimeter. Say... I wonder if you can create a moat?

Sylas

Quick question as I've fallen in love with the demo (haven't cleared it yet)! Are there dungeons in the game and can you find weapons and armor out and about through exploration?

zakujanai

I'm on chapter 1 and Larouche asked me to put a sconce and a leather sack on the wall of the smithy. I already had those up but I added the shop sign to make a blacksmith's studio but the quest never showed as completed. After several infuriating minutes I thought to try removing the forge and it became a stonemason's studio instead, finally letting me complete the quest. Larouche then had the gall to suggest I try putting a bloody forge in my stonemason's studio.

On a TOTAL whim I bought this game. I'm not a fan of Minecraft and only lightly grazed Dragon Quest... but something about this game is calling my name.

It shows up later today!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Quick question as I've fallen in love with the demo (haven't cleared it yet)! Are there dungeons in the game and can you find weapons and armor out and about through exploration?

Not really in the sense that you want. There are things to find out in the wild via caves and such, but I have not seen full fledged dungeons out and about. The items you find in chests are unique, though. But there's not infinite chests spawned about to increase your load out. It's more like you find a unique accessory or a Seed of Life or a unique Blueprint. Don't go in expecting it to be like Minecraft or Terraria in that sense.

Shahed

I'm on chapter 1 and Larouche asked me to put a sconce and a leather sack on the wall of the smithy. I already had those up but I added the shop sign to make a blacksmith's studio but the quest never showed as completed. After several infuriating minutes I thought to try removing the forge and it became a stonemason's studio instead, finally letting me complete the quest. Larouche then had the gall to suggest I try putting a bloody forge in my stonemason's studio.
I had the exact same thing happen to me. It was annoying me and in the end I built a wall between them, didn't think of just removing the forge. Then promptly destroyed the wall...

Elatreus

Banned
Really tempted to buy the game. I know other people have mentioned, but I really dislike Minecraft, but I absolutely love Terraria (414 hours into Terraria according to Steam).

The game seems more like Terraria than Minecraft, so I'm hoping I would like this game.

HeeHo

R3 to reset camera. Every time you are blocked and can't see yourself it will reset to where you can. I was glad I figured that out after losing my view several times.

Yeah, but who wants to do that every time they enter a small room? minor annoyance but still. Glad you can at least do that.

So is there any way to decorate the town outside of rooms to get points? Like for example, the well or a bench seem like they'd go outside but I never get points for placing them.

Unknown?

Yeah, but who wants to do that every time they enter a small room? minor annoyance but still. Glad you can at least do that.

So is there any way to decorate the town outside of rooms to get points? Like for example, the well or a bench seem like they'd go outside but I never get points for placing them.

No I don't think so. It is a bit annoying because, like you said, there are decorations that don't belong in a room. I put them outside anyway because I don't care. Lol

HeeHo

No I don't think so. It is a bit annoying because, like you said, there are decorations that don't belong in a room. I put them outside anyway because I don't care. Lol

That sucks. I plan to decorate just for style after I get my town level up, but I wish there was a 'park' blueprint or a blueprint for a well set up. The well is such an iconic DQ item, you should definitely get points for placing it anywhere in town.

Rootbeer

Banned
Question for those of you who actually received the amazon pre-order DLC:

Did it arrive via e-mail? or in the game case?

I'm talking about the retailer incentive pre-order bonus... not the 'day one edition' bonuses. Here is a picture:

DQB_Amazon_FeatureBanner_750x375-2._V278389834_.jpg

I have talked with amazon customer support a few times and can't get them to e-mail me a code no matter what I say, lol. I pre-ordered the game in advance, too. no code came.

N° 2048

Question for those of you who actually received the amazon pre-order DLC:

Did it arrive via e-mail? or in the game case?

I'm talking about the retailer incentive pre-order bonus... not the 'day one edition' bonuses. Here is a picture:

DQB_Amazon_FeatureBanner_750x375-2._V278389834_.jpg

I have talked with amazon customer support a few times and can't get them to e-mail me a code no matter what I say, lol. I pre-ordered the game in advance, too. no code came.

I got my code the day before release. Amazon.ca though.

The game shows +5 addons but none are downloadable :/

Aeana

People have said that this game isn't randomly generated, and while that obviously seems to be the case for any of the core structure locations of the game, there are definitely some randomly generated elements. The location of the talaria in chapter 1, for instance, seems to vary massively by game. I've watched several videos trying to find it in this playthrough and every video has had a different spot in hammerhood heights. I still haven't found mine yet!

Zafir

I had the exact same thing happen to me. It was annoying me and in the end I built a wall between them, didn't think of just removing the forge. Then promptly destroyed the wall...
Yeah I had it happen too. The annoying thing is he then says you may want to add a forge. -,-

Bruno MB

Here is my copy, I can't wait to play it!

I always support every Dragon Quest title that gets released in the West so this was a day one purchase for me.

I liked what I played in the demo although I didn't put too many hours not to spoil myself. I found it extremely charming, the only thing that might have hold me back from buying it was that I have never been attracted by Minecraft or similar games.

Camisado

I'm falling more and more out of love with this game with every passing moment it seems.

I'm in chapter 3 now and I find it incredible frustrating that they take literally everything off you in between chapters. I understand some of it, but finding out I'm not going to be able to build a colossal coffer until rather late in chapter 3 because of a lack of trees is down right annoying.

That plus the tiny town sizes and the fact I feel like they are really holding back on me with content (Every chapter has new stuff, but it comes in place of other stuff, why can't I just build the town to the way I like it? I feel like they are being far to restrictive!)

The final straw for me has to be the combat which is just plain bad. You take damage for making contact with enemies, even if you run into the back of them, but the range on weapons is so poor you basically have to be inside them to make a successful hit. That plus even when you see a strike coming it's almost impossible to get out of the way because of slow movement speed and no dodge roll. The A.I's incredible stupidity when helping you in large combat is really too much as well. I wouldn't mind having a button to tell them to advance and retreat so they don't take huge hits from charged attacks.

I'm only frustrated by this because I feel this game has so much potential, I really hope they make another one and it has a raft of improvements over this, I'm going to see this one through to the end now, but honestly it's only due to some grim hope that the final chapter is everything I want it to be lol.

hongcha

I'm really enjoying this on Vita. One question: is there an in-game timer somewhere? I can't find it in the menus or the save file data.

Rootbeer

Banned
I got my code the day before release. Amazon.ca though.

The game shows +5 addons but none are downloadable :/
Thanks for that.

So, anyone in the USA get their code? I'm trying to figure out if I need to just keep waiting or if amazon messed up on getting me the code.

I understand that you might not be able to redeem them yet, yeah.

pronk420

I accidentally put down a blueprint outside of the 'base' area, can I pick it up again? I tried all the buttons and nothing seemed to do anything. Have I just lost it now? It looks kind of stupid just sitting out there in the world.

OmegaFax

Already feel burnt out after playing the first chapter. Probably going to take a break from it and continue Dragon Quest VII or play through a few other games. Maybe it's the Vita version. I went back and played the PS4 demo again and boy do draw distances make a difference. The world feels way too claustrophobic on the Vita. It's a lot easier to lose my sense of direction + the framerate is not fantastic but serviceable.

I didn't have the same feeling with Minecraft on Vita. You do only feel like you've lost something if the PS4 version isn't the one you played first. I still prefer playing the game on Vita whenever I get a chance.

Eh, back to Builders.

You do appreciate some things that the Vita can pull off. Like, the feel of the world and dynamic shadows but the shadows only draw in a very short distance in front of the character. It isn't a bad game but the jump after the first chapter and starting over didn't make me feel too invested in going on to the next chapter right away.

Lyonaz

People have said that this game isn't randomly generated, and while that obviously seems to be the case for any of the core structure locations of the game, there are definitely some randomly generated elements. The location of the talaria in chapter 1, for instance, seems to vary massively by game. I've watched several videos trying to find it in this playthrough and every video has had a different spot in hammerhood heights. I still haven't found mine yet!

Is that the double jump item? I got mine next to the castle inside a cave, love it. The no-fall-damage boots are fantastic too.

This game is quite relaxing and fun, glad I bought it.

I'm falling more and more out of love with this game with every passing moment it seems.

I'm in chapter 3 now and I find it incredible frustrating that they take literally everything off you in between chapters. I understand some of it, but finding out I'm not going to be able to build a colossal coffer until rather late in chapter 3 because of a lack of trees is down right annoying.

Fun fact! You can destroy the stumps on the ground right inside the first portal in chapter 3. You can collect the saplings from them, plant in your town and let em grow big and strong.

SkyOdin

I accidentally put down a blueprint outside of the 'base' area, can I pick it up again? I tried all the buttons and nothing seemed to do anything. Have I just lost it now? It looks kind of stupid just sitting out there in the world.
While standing over the blueprint, press the touchpad. Scroll down in that menu until your cursor is over the "Remove Blueprint" option.

Jharp

This is going to be one of those games that's hard not to grab every time I walk past it in Target. There's just so much other stuff on my list right now.

Any chance this end sup coming to PC? I would so love for it to come to PC.

Kensuke

I'm loving this game so far. Spent many hours in chapter 1, exploring every nook and cranny and making an awesome two storey building. Now in chapter 2 I'm trying to go for the 30 day challenge without necessarily rushing it too much. It gives the game a bit more tension this way, changing things up even more. I'll probably keep switching it up between chapters.

I'm not sure I'll make it though. 17 days in and only half the tasks in the second portal done.

Ferr986

God this game can be stupidly picky sometimes. Trying to build the stupid garden but the game just refuses to register the building even thoug I have everything inside.

Top Bottom