• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finished chapter 1. Of the challenges, I completed
Base Level 5 and Repair the graveyard.
The 20 day challenge seems like it shouldn't be impossible, but it will require you to just burn through as fast as possible. Does anyone know at what point the official timer starts? I suspect you can help speed things up a bit by preparing your base a little before it starts?

Also, do you have to start a "fresh" playthrough to do the challenges?

E: Also, what's the point of the poison swamp area in Chapter 1? You literally never need to go there. It's a completely wasted space...

Aeana

Is that the double jump item? I got mine next to the castle inside a cave, love it. The no-fall-damage boots are fantastic too.

This game is quite relaxing and fun, glad I bought it.

Yeah. According to the Japanese guide, it can show up anywhere in the hammerhood area. Usually in caves, but one person had it show up in a small valley. Seems like I just got really unlucky with the placement. Not sure I should really waste more time when I'm about to finish off chapter 1 anyway.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just tested it...

As long as you saved after the boss fight in Chapter 1, you can finish up any challenges you haven't done (minus the timed challenge since you can't go back in time...).

The demo sold me on this a couple weeks back, grabbed it day one. It's really fantastic so far - WAY more engrossing than I'd have expected. It's been said a hundred times now, but having a clever premise, good writing, and direction/goals just does wonders for this style of game.

Ranger X

The demo just sold me on this game. Its very fun besides some controls/interface issues.
I have to buy this down the road

Question for those of you who actually received the amazon pre-order DLC:

Did it arrive via e-mail? or in the game case?

I'm talking about the retailer incentive pre-order bonus... not the 'day one edition' bonuses. Here is a picture:

DQB_Amazon_FeatureBanner_750x375-2._V278389834_.jpg

I have talked with amazon customer support a few times and can't get them to e-mail me a code no matter what I say, lol. I pre-ordered the game in advance, too. no code came.

I didn't get mine initially but chatted with them and asked them to escalate it to there promotions department. They sent me a code about 12 hours later in an email.

Rootbeer

Banned
I didn't get mine initially but chatted with them and asked them to escalate it to there promotions department. They sent me a code about 12 hours later in an email.
Finally had my fourth chat with them since 10/11... I told them to do as you had done... now i wait.

never had this much trouble getting a pre-order code before. Usually amazon reps are so good at this... but every one I talked to seemed to have no flipping idea what i was talking about, even when I showed them that image (which is hosted right on amazon's servers.)

All that aside, I've played about 8 hours of this game today... and I haven't even left Chapter 1. Very fun.

Kensuke

Yes! Completed Chapter 2 with all challenges. The 30 day challenge is actually not bad at all. The key is not to sleep, except when the story required you to do so. Had plenty of time to see everything.

I enjoyed the hell out of the first chapter but was completely bummed out when I learned I was going to lose everything and start over after the boss fight. Completely drained any desire to keep going. Maybe I'll just take time off between chapters and see if I'll eventually want to go through the progression again.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I enjoyed the hell out of the first chapter but was completely bummed out when I learned I was going to lose everything and start over after the boss fight. Completely drained any desire to keep going. Maybe I'll just take time off between chapters and see if I'll eventually want to go through the progression again.

I just finished chapter 2. (which, btw, completing it under 30 days your first try is not that difficult)

It feels quite a bit different than Chapter 1, primary resources are different, the areas are quite a bit different.

You also start with a hammer, and many of the recipes already unlocked. It's not quite 'from scratch' as they imply.

Chapter 2 is based around
Status Elements

Okay, Mafia 3 finished. DQB here I come. I'm almost back to the point where I stopped playing the demo. This is just a delightful, relaxing game.

Roubjon

I finished Chapter 1 today and I'm definitely ready to move onto the next town. Some people might be a little bummed about the story structure, but I think by the time the end of a Chapter rolls around I'll be pretty much done with my town. I'm really happy with how I built it up and I can't wait to start fresh again. Plus I missed my old tunic armor.

This game is amazing.

Cloud7

I just spent 30 minutes clearing out ground and laying out tons of spike traps for the first dragon in Chapter 1 and it's barely doing any damage at all. Time well spent.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I just spent 30 minutes clearing out ground and laying out tons of spike traps for the first dragon in Chapter 1 and it's barely doing any damage at all. Time well spent.

You could always use those statues that shoot fire...

;)

Contacted Amazon about not getting a code for the battle ticket DLC. Their reply:

I have checked the details and I am sorry to inform you that you weren't eligible for the promotion, as it was started on October 7, 2016 12:00:00 AM PDT and ended on October 11, 2016 12:00:00 AM PDT, and as I can see that your order was placed on Saturday, October 1, 2016 11:31 PM (PDT).

Instead, I've issued a complete refund of $52.19, to your original payment method. You'll see the refund within next 3-5 business days.

well.... okay then.

On this occasion, we don't require you to return the original. You're welcome to keep it as well as the refund.

Further, I'd encourage you to place a new order with One Day Shipping and write us back with the order ID. We'll either wave off or refund the shipping and handling charges for your order. Also, we'll make sure that the promotions that were applied on your first order will apply on it and you'll get the codes which you were supposed to receive.
They want me to place another order to get the pre-order bonus? lol no. I'll just stick with the free game, Amazon.

KrisB

God this game can be stupidly picky sometimes. Trying to build the stupid garden but the game just refuses to register the building even thoug I have everything inside.

I had the same issue with the kitchen, drove me crazy.
Had all the requirements (walls two blocks high, a door, lighting, within the town's area etc) rebuilt it 4 times. Eventually it registered on the 5th attempt.

Tiktaalik

What do you need to build some of these sign buildings such as inn and shop? It doesn't really tell you it seems. Like a private room doesn't work unless there's a pot in it. I plopped down an inn sign in a bedroom and nothing happened. I assume I need some sort of other decorations for something to happen?

What do you need to build some of these sign buildings such as inn and shop? It doesn't really tell you it seems. Like a private room doesn't work unless there's a pot in it. I plopped down an inn sign in a bedroom and nothing happened. I assume I need some sort of other decorations for something to happen?
You'll be told some of the requirements over the course of the story. An Inn requires at least 4 beds IIRC, nothing else.

timewyrm

Do DQ games generally hold their value for some time, or is it likely to fall in price fairly quickly. Best deal is currently around £30.

johnsmith

remember me
Man, chapter 3 is kicking my ass. Huge difficulty jump from everything else so far. First it was lack of food, got that sorted out, but now I'm completely out of healing items. At least I finally got the big chest. Running around without that was a nightmare.

So I've been spending a lot of time in chapter 3, the best one yet! Question for any who've done it.
How can I hit the enemies attacking the town with the cannon/magic cannon? It just whips right over 'em, even with the bouncy wall. My best guess is to place them in the middle of town so it lands right outside. Very useful for killing the trolls and dragon. I always keep one with me.

Been playing this, pretty fun game. Main pet peeve is how terrible a lot of the UI related choices are.

You can't destroy items without putting them in your big chest first otherwise you can only discard them(which is annoying if you're in your base cause they'll just fly somewhere and you'll pick it up later). If you drop an item from your inventory into the great chest but on the wrong page, it won't stack which would imply the pages are treated seperately, until you use the tidy up function which will move all your items together in the first chest then the 2nd as if they were just one inventory. Makes it a pain if you want to keep track of stuff more easily.

The action button being the same as the menu is annoying enough, but the actions themselves have very weird "hitboxes" on stuff and sometimes you can't actually use stuff without fiddling around and moving and stuff especially when there's multiple items that can be interacted with or like you run to a bed, press X, nope your char climbed on the bed so now you can't sleep, here have your inventory load up instead. Some of the blueprints you build aren't helping with that either, they put a workshop with some chairs all around or whatever and then you can't build without sitting half the time, so you have to move the chairs somewhere else once you've finished the blueprints.

Wish there was a way to turn off your own damage in your own city. The other townsfolks don't seem to damage your stuff but you yourself will wreck your rooms if you ever fight in the city, which is annoying.

A map item would be nice, doesn't have to be unlocked right away but something you build would be great. They even have the map system in the game when you do bird eye's view so they could just let you view anywhere you've visited.

No way to craft more than 1 item but less than everything at once that I could see? I tried pressing every button I'm pretty sure but nothing works, the only way I found was to take items out of the chest, discard them, craft everything with what's left in the chest, then pick the rest back up, and drop it back in the chest.

Saving, default to overwriting previous save, confirmation with default on No, if you press No, it exits the whole thing so you have to reload the save menu again.

Can't cancel dialogues, button to skip dialogue faster is the same as the button to speak to the NPC again after you're done.

Item placement on larger objects seemingly being off to your right side, maybe to reflect the fact you hold them in your right hand, but makes placement of larger stuff kinda annoying since you have to position yourself not in front of where you want to the item but on the left side of the front. You also can't check orientation of items before using them it seems, not a big deal for most cube stuff but trying to build a roof is a pain in the ass when you start doing the corners and stuff.

Anyway lots of small things that can make the game frustrating at times, but for the most part it plays nicely. Kinda hoped I'd learn more special moves and have more weapon types though, combat is pretty bland so far(starting chapter 3). The boss fights are kinda interesting, do wish it would rollback town damage at the end however, chapter2 boss destroyed half the rooms in my city, some because adds were trying to carve a way in by going underground which messed up some rooms cause they're missing blocks under the ground objects and stuff.

JP

Damn, this is so good. I can't stop playing it.

I originally pre-ordered Final Fantasy XV a while ago and was going to get that and World of Final Fantasy but after playing the demo decided that this and Final Fantasy XV would be the way to go but this has really made me want both the Final Fantasy games.

Absolutely loving the game and it's easily one of the most enjoyable games of the year for me.

Jacobbles

I think I screwed up my game.

I'm on chapter 2, and just found the person through the red teleportal that needs me to show them the Farmer Sutra, but I've checked my inventories and chests over and over and the Farma Sutra is gone... It's just completely disapeared. Am I missing something here? I had it before, and I'm positive I didn't drop it anywhere... Am I screwed?

jonno394

Played the demo for 2 hours late last night and loved it so thought it'd be rude not to spend £30 to buy this. Love the look of the game, and as I like a structured approach to a game, something like this is much more appealing than Minecraft.

I think I screwed up my game.

I'm on chapter 2, and just found the person through the red teleportal that needs me to show them the Farmer Sutra, but I've checked my inventories and chests over and over and the Farma Sutra is gone... It's just completely disapeared. Am I missing something here? I had it before, and I'm positive I didn't drop it anywhere... Am I screwed?

Not sure what you mean exactly, the farmer sutra is given to the old man in town and that's it for it, he gives you a blueprint for a garden or whatever. If you mean the apprentice in a house on the "left" side, he needs a letter from the old man that he gives you after a bunch of other stuff happens.

Ferr986

Reached Chapter 2. It's good that it uses a diferent save slot, for if you want to go back to Ch.1 town.

Starting again may be a bummer but atleast you do meet new NPCs.

I also unlocked the free mode, although I didn't mess with it yet. Can you change the music there? It uses Ch.1 music but I like Ch.2 tracks better.

Jacobbles

Not sure what you mean exactly, the farmer sutra is given to the old man in town and that's it for it, he gives you a blueprint for a garden or whatever. If you mean the apprentice in a house on the "left" side, he needs a letter from the old man that he gives you after a bunch of other stuff happens.

I'm an idiot. That's probably exactly what I need. Just realised I hadn't cured all my patients yet and that's probably what I need to do to advance. Thanks!

Arkeband

Banned
Contacted Amazon about not getting a code for the battle ticket DLC. Their reply:

well.... okay then.

They want me to place another order to get the pre-order bonus? lol no. I'll just stick with the free game, Amazon.

That's odd because I pre ordered the game back in like July and still got the pre-order bonuses.

Catvoca

Banned
I've gotta agree with others and say starting again each chapter is a bummer. There's really no reason to make my towns anything more than functional if I'm just leaving them behind. I also feel like there's no point exploring too much since the health buffs and rare items I might get are a bit useless if I'm just going to lose them. I'm still enjoying this but some of the sheen has definitely come off now I'm part way through chapter two. I'm already getting very very tired of the combat. Maybe I'll just put this down for a while and come back to it.

So i've been looking around for Orichalcum everywhere, but can't seem to find it :/ Can anyone help me with this?

This is a great game to play while listening to podcasts, been doing that for 5 hours now, still loads of fun.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So i've been looking around for Orichalcum everywhere, but can't seem to find it :/ Can anyone help me with this?

This is a great game to play while listening to podcasts, been doing that for 5 hours now, still loads of fun.

You need to go through the last portal you get. Once inside, kill the bomb rock dudes for explosive materials to make your own bombs. Those are the only way to get ori. Just go inside any random cave in that last portal and start hammer spinning away. You're almost guaranteed to find some of that white ori block.

Alternatively, start planting bombs along the various cliffs throughout that final area and you'll eventually find some. It's wildly common in there.

Also, what is the purpose of ruby in the first chapter? I have a bunch that never got used.

Elixist

fun game. graphics are nice, hope they fix that weird framepacing bug tho. good gameplay loop, simple mechanics that are pretty solid. i'd really like to see combat be alot better in a sequel , something like a souls light. get xp from killing monsters new moves spells etc. guy that complained about ui baffoonery is right too, just give me a huge page in the big box instead of two tabs that just dont behave like you'd expect. bizarre things like a kitchen that wont work if its not earth walls, or a room is too big and wont complete. its maybe a bit overpriced too, but it is squeenix , i suspect it will go on sale alot.

Ydelnae

I've spent the whole morning looking for those flowers needed for the garden blueprint that the hammer monster gives you when you complete his garden in Chapter 1. Where are they? The pink and orange ones.

Elixist

I've spent the whole morning looking for those flowers needed for the garden blueprint that the hammer monster gives you when you complete his garden in Chapter 1. Where are they? The pink and orange ones.

i know slimes drop those pods sometimes that grow into flowers if you plant them could be those i guess.

de_reddy

Neo Member
This game reminds me so much of NES Zelda, without dungeons but with the construction "minigame". It's been a while since I've been so hooked with a game.

Bolivar687

Banned
How do you build the colossal coffer in act 2? I can't find any trees that drop palm lumber to craft the wood necessary.

SkyOdin

Drakies will drop the seeds for pink flowers, while she-slimes drop the seeds for the yellow flowers. Alternatively, you can use a shovel to transplant any wild flowers you find.

How do you build the colossal coffer in act 2? I can't find any trees that drop palm lumber to craft the wood necessary.
You need to wait until you get the first teleportal before you can get the materials you need.

The collossal coffer should definitely not require mats that take a while to get on the islands after the first. It's really annoying to go back to limited inventory, especially when you're exploring. Specifically, they shouldn't be gated by teleporters materials. It was even more annoying in Ch3 than Ch2 cause finding the wood necessary is a lot more annoying. It's especially bad with how clunky the inventory management can be once you try to throw away stuff to pick up other stuff and how a bunch of your slots are filled with healing consumables/wings/food/earth.

No way to craft more than 1 item but less than everything at once that I could see? I tried pressing every button I'm pretty sure but nothing works, the only way I found was to take items out of the chest, discard them, craft everything with what's left in the chest, then pick the rest back up, and drop it back in the chest.

Of the problems with the game - most of which seem pretty minor - this one is the most boneheaded and short-sighted.

Weirdly though, the way [Make as Many as Possible] seems to work is: Say you have enough materials for 500 Spike Traps. You would probably expect pressing [MaMaP] to produce 500 of them - that's what it sounds like, right? Instead, it only produces one full 99 stack of Spike Traps. So, it should probably contextually switch between [MaMaP] and [Make a Full Stack] based on how many you have, since clearly it's basing production off of that information anyway.

I haven't done this with EVERY item, to be fair, so maybe some act differently, but the ones I've tried behave this way.

Zafir

Been playing this, pretty fun game. Main pet peeve is how terrible a lot of the UI related choices are.

You can't destroy items without putting them in your big chest first otherwise you can only discard them(which is annoying if you're in your base cause they'll just fly somewhere and you'll pick it up later). If you drop an item from your inventory into the great chest but on the wrong page, it won't stack which would imply the pages are treated seperately, until you use the tidy up function which will move all your items together in the first chest then the 2nd as if they were just one inventory. Makes it a pain if you want to keep track of stuff more easily.

The action button being the same as the menu is annoying enough, but the actions themselves have very weird "hitboxes" on stuff and sometimes you can't actually use stuff without fiddling around and moving and stuff especially when there's multiple items that can be interacted with or like you run to a bed, press X, nope your char climbed on the bed so now you can't sleep, here have your inventory load up instead. Some of the blueprints you build aren't helping with that either, they put a workshop with some chairs all around or whatever and then you can't build without sitting half the time, so you have to move the chairs somewhere else once you've finished the blueprints.

Wish there was a way to turn off your own damage in your own city. The other townsfolks don't seem to damage your stuff but you yourself will wreck your rooms if you ever fight in the city, which is annoying.

A map item would be nice, doesn't have to be unlocked right away but something you build would be great. They even have the map system in the game when you do bird eye's view so they could just let you view anywhere you've visited.

Saving, default to overwriting previous save, confirmation with default on No, if you press No, it exits the whole thing so you have to reload the save menu again.

Can't cancel dialogues, button to skip dialogue faster is the same as the button to speak to the NPC again after you're done.

Item placement on larger objects seemingly being off to your right side, maybe to reflect the fact you hold them in your right hand, but makes placement of larger stuff kinda annoying since you have to position yourself not in front of where you want to the item but on the left side of the front. You also can't check orientation of items before using them it seems, not a big deal for most cube stuff but trying to build a roof is a pain in the ass when you start doing the corners and stuff.

Anyway lots of small things that can make the game frustrating at times, but for the most part it plays nicely. Kinda hoped I'd learn more special moves and have more weapon types though, combat is pretty bland so far(starting chapter 3). The boss fights are kinda interesting, do wish it would rollback town damage at the end however, chapter2 boss destroyed half the rooms in my city, some because adds were trying to carve a way in by going underground which messed up some rooms cause they're missing blocks under the ground objects and stuff.
I actually found a world map(chapter 1). It ain't that detailed, but it can give you a rough idea of where you are.

But yeah I didn't even realise that was how you destroyed items. I'd been chucking them in a ditch outside my base, lol. :D

Lucreto

Okay I just got the iron armour blueprints. Do I have much left to do in Chapter One?

Secondly, what are these challenges I see on the trophy list? I have not come across them yet. Do they appear at the end of each chapter?

Thirdly, should I just convert all the materials into more advanced items or keep them raw. Iron to iron ingots etc. I filled up the massive chest already.

Fourthly, what are the orbs you get at the teleporter for?

Fifthly, the seeds of life are only used to boost your health and not used to in any blueprints?

Ferr986

Okay I just got the iron armour blueprints. Do I have much left to do in Chapter One?

Secondly, what are these challenges I see on the trophy list? I have not come across them yet. Do they appear at the end of each chapter?

Thirdly, should I just convert all the materials into more advanced items or keep them raw. Iron to iron ingots etc. I filled up the massive chest already.

Fourthly, what are the orbs you get at the teleporter for?

Fifthly, the seeds of life are only used to boost your health and not used to in any blueprints?

- Can't remember, would be more useful to know how many teleports you have. There's 3 teleports.

- They don't show until you finish the chapter, so they're kind of secret until then. Best bet is to check the net.

- Whatever you want, you can always mine more. It doesn't matter. Just make more coffers, I always have coffers in each room :p

- Orbs show their current location in your compass, so place them in areas you want to come back.

- Seeds of life are HP upgrade only, you're free to eat them :)

Top Bottom