• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

I didn't get mine initially but chatted with them and asked them to escalate it to there promotions department. They sent me a code about 12 hours later in an email.

I preordered this months ago (before that promo went up) and they told me that since I did not preorder it during the promo period I was out of luck.

Amazon used to be so good with stuff like this, they suck now.

jschreier

Man, this game might be my GOTY. Inventory management is a pain (and you should really be able to carry the coffer from chapter to chapter) but I still can't stop playing.

Ferr986

Game makes me feel like I was a kid again while playing lol
I guess it's the Minecraft styled gameplay with cute characters, happy music and funny dialogue.

And that sucks because I have to wake up early tomorrow to work instead of staying in home playing :(

Roubjon

I'm really enjoying the clean start of Chapter 2. Now that I know how to build towns, I get to view the building from scratch process differently and get to plan out my town in a way I haven't tried before. I'll definitely keep my old Saves for each chapter though, so I can go back and see them.

Ferr986

I'm really enjoying the clean start of Chapter 2. Now that I know how to build towns, I get to view the building from scratch process differently and get to plan out my town in a way I haven't tried before. I'll definitely keep my old Saves for each chapter though, so I can go back and see them.

Taking into acount that each Chapter has it's own save, it's very easy to come back to another chapter town and work on it. You just need to save before the end of the Chapter and that's it.

The only problem is that you don't get the new recipes on the old Chapters :(

sublimit

Banned
Amazon.uk shipped my game on the EU release day so hopefully i'll have the game in my hands by the end of next week.

Is there anything else i need to know besides making separate save files by the end of each chapter?

TheGentleman

Neo Member
Been looking forward to this game,
since I played the JP Demo.

Got the game yesterday and looking forward to playing it later tonight!

Dommel

Grrrr, why doesn't it auto-save when you sleep. Lost about one hour of progress by putting PS4 into rest mode and starting another game on resume.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Is there any way to control how close the camera is, other then pushing it down against the ground?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
- Seeds of life are HP upgrade only, you're free to eat them :)

I tend to save Seeds of Life later in chapters for use as instant full health restores.

Grrrr, why doesn't it auto-save when you sleep. Lost about one hour of progress by putting PS4 into rest mode and starting another game on resume.

I had not used my PS4 for awhile, and accidentally hit shutdown instead of sleep on the new menu and lost about the same.

hear4beer

It does. Each chapter is its own save.

Btw,there's no stone or ores on terra incognita free area, it's only on the monster areas? :(

Yeah the rarer ores are only in the monster areas, but i've managed to craft almost everything in terra incognita that was available throughout the story (including the motorbash)

Okay, I've got a question. I'm still in chapter one, and my town is starting to get crowded in terms of buildings. And now Pippa is asking me for a room of her own. I don't even know where I'm going to put it. Do I have to build it within the confines of the area with the town music or can I expand outward even into the areas that queue up the wilderness music?

Lucreto

Okay, I've got a question. I'm still in chapter one, and my town is starting to get crowded in terms of buildings. And now Pippa is asking me for a room of her own. I don't even know where I'm going to put it. Do I have to build it within the confines of the area with the town music or can I expand outward even into the areas that queue up the wilderness music?

What I did was make the rooms smaller. I squeezed 8 rooms into the place and I could fit another 2.

What I did was make the rooms smaller. I squeezed 8 rooms into the place and I could fit another 2.

Hmm. Can I build upward? Like, make a staircase and platform higher up? I know blocks need to be attached to another block and can't just hover, but if I build a staircase and then attach a platform to it, that should work, right?

Anyone playing on Vita know how to reset the camera? There's an icon indicating you just touch the screen, but it seems to work only very occasionally. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Lucreto

Hmm. Can I build upward? Like, make a staircase and platform higher up? I know blocks need to be attached to another block and can't just hover, but if I build a staircase and then attach a platform to it, that should work, right?

I think it says early on only the 2 blocks for the wall count. I could be wrong though.

Zafir

Yeah it's annoying. I lost some progress because I left the console running while I did something else, and the console auto switched off while I wasn't looking. :X

I think it says early on only the 2 blocks for the wall count. I could be wrong though.

It's pretty vague about this. You can build upwards, but at whatever height you decide to build your 2-block-high room, then within that room, only items placed within that 2-block-squared area will give you points.

So if you built a third-story room - where the floor is, say, 20 blocks above ground level - then within that room only items placed within the 21st-22nd block height level will give you points.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Great game.

up to world 3 and this game is very fun although mechanically, it gets a bit samey but there's something incredible about building a brick bridge across a chasm to get to some other locale. Combat's picking up in world 3. Man, the fights are intense.

also world 2 gave me a real issue when I thought the game was bugged.

Elle (the priestess) was sickened and the game basically wouldn't let me move forward and took ages to work out what was wrong - went and got the flower (holyhock) but no one in town would activate a bubble. I was getting really pissed off thinking all the time I've spent on the game = reset. Then I acidentally moved her to another bed (and a bubble appeared over her head) and I could finish the world.

something intensely satisfying breaking up any NPC's house and stealing all their furniture for points.

It's pretty vague about this. You can build upwards, but at whatever height you decide to build your 2-block-high room, then within that room, only items placed within that 2-block-squared area will give you points.

So if you built a third-story room - where the floor is, say, 20 blocks above ground level - then within that room only items placed within the 21st-22nd block height level will give you points.

Hopefully that makes sense!

So only items placed within 2 blocks of the floor in any given room counts, but if I want to make that floor 15 blocks in the air, then items on row 16 and 17 will count toward the room. Got it. Things are getting crowded on the ground floor.

Thanks!

Zafir

Awww mannnn... Going to a new chapter gets rid of accessories too?

I went to all that trouble to get the double jump to lose it?

I'll miss not having to worry about fall damage too. Siggghhhhhhh. x.x

hongcha

I finished Chapter 1 and played about an hour of Chapter 2. I thought I'd give the game a rest for awhile at the end of CH1 because parts of CH1 were a bit dull and I was getting burned out, but it finished on a high note and when I started Chapter 2 it was really hard to put down. Damn this game is addictive.

I really wish it tracked your playtime though. I hate it when games don't have an in-game clock.

This game is SO GOOD. Not into building games at all but as a long time Dragon Quest fan I'm glad I took the risk and just bought this.
It's such a perfect combination of action RPG/exploration/base building.
Probably my favorite game of 2016 so far.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This game is WONDERFUL. Rented it for my kid over the weekend and then bought it tonight.

I was THISCLOSE to starting completely over now that I've really figured out how to build out a town ... but I checked OP first and saw that you get a clean slate with the next world anyway. So I'll gut it out.

That said, I'm not fond of the fact that you only get one character per game -- I was going to start a new quest from scratch and it kept my same character name and design. Kinda dumb.

JJD

OK, played the demo for about 15 minutes, the tutorial is a pain in the ass, but I really liked the game.

After catching up with the OT and seeing people comparing it to Actriser I've decided to buy the game.

I never cared about Minecraft, I'm still surprised I liked this so much. Seems that PSN is still selling the day one edition too, cool!

Damn, my backlog is going to kill me. I've been waiting BF1 for a loooong time, and XCOM 2 is one of my most wanted games...how am I going to find time to play all this stuff...

Question for those of you who actually received the amazon pre-order DLC:

Did it arrive via e-mail? or in the game case?

I'm talking about the retailer incentive pre-order bonus... not the 'day one edition' bonuses. Here is a picture:

DQB_Amazon_FeatureBanner_750x375-2._V278389834_.jpg

I have talked with amazon customer support a few times and can't get them to e-mail me a code no matter what I say, lol. I pre-ordered the game in advance, too. no code came.

It came as an email for me.

I found a weird glitch on my town where the game is detecting that I built a room, but anything past that like a crude kitchen or a basic workshop it can't detect that I have built it. I tested it in other parts of the town and it works just fine. Is there maybe some rule I might be missing or is this just a glitch?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just got to the portal out of Chapter 1, and I'm so curious about the decision to start the player over. Is it possibly a technical limitation or strictly a deliberate gameplay decision? To not even let you revisit the first land at will to keep working on it is the crazy part to me, but I haven't played this long enough to get perspective on the issue yet, I guess. It just feels weird in a game that rewards collecting and being territorial with your creations.

jonno394

Is it normal for enemies to just stroll in to your town at night time? I'm in chapter 1 still but at night that orange enemy with the purple witches hat always rolls in and attacks.

Shouta

This game is WONDERFUL. Rented it for my kid over the weekend and then bought it tonight.

I was THISCLOSE to starting completely over now that I've really figured out how to build out a town ... but I checked OP first and saw that you get a clean slate with the next world anyway. So I'll gut it out.

That said, I'm not fond of the fact that you only get one character per game -- I was going to start a new quest from scratch and it kept my same character name and design. Kinda dumb.

Pretty sure you can adjust your character if you wanted but it's been a little bit since I played the game.

johnsmith

remember me
Is it normal for enemies to just stroll in to your town at night time? I'm in chapter 1 still but at night that orange enemy with the purple witches hat always rolls in and attacks.

Yes you get attacked by ghosts nonstop at night. Build a wall around your town to protect yourself from them and other random attacks. Preferably with some kind of stone block so enemies can't break through.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Pretty sure you can adjust your character if you wanted but it's been a little bit since I played the game.

yes, you can adjust your character but as far as i can tell that is a global character -- my wife couldn't start another game with her own character, for example.

I just got to the portal out of Chapter 1, and I'm so curious about the decision to start the player over. Is it possibly a technical limitation or strictly a deliberate gameplay decision? To not even let you revisit the first land at will to keep working on it is the crazy part to me, but I haven't played this long enough to get perspective on the issue yet, I guess. It just feels weird in a game that rewards collecting and being territorial with your creations.

its a deliiberate gameplay decision. Otherwise you're too powerful per region and you also probably end up with too many power items + furniture bits (expensive 500 point slime ballons + Bits) that would negate the town building/point aspect of the game.

the first time it happened I was like :( and it makes completing quests to get the special items a bit pointless. I'm at world 3 and the best thing is that by 2, you have the hammer at the start and the spin attack and the collecting bricks bit of the game is much much easier.

the monsters in the overworld, you can mostly run past in the game. Unless you're killing them for resources (there's no XP), mechanically you can just focus on the quests/materials and upgrading your base to get the best items.

SkyOdin

I think it is a deliberate design decision. Each chapter is built like it is a self-contained game. It isn't unlike how Warcraft 3 is broken up into four campaigns for the four different factions. Whenever you reach a new campaign, you lose the heroes and technology you have built up over the last campaign. However, that lets you start up a new story, explore new options, and challenges you to do things differently.

Dragon Quest Builders isn't exactly like Minecraft. The goal isn't to just build, build, and build. The goal in the story chapters is to solve people's problems andrebuild something that was destroyed in a manner of your choosing. In my opinion, there is something powerful about the feeling you get when you say "this town is complete" and move on to the next chapter. There is a sense of fulfillment in that. And if you ever want to come back and build more, you can always just load up your save file and continuing to build.

I still need to mess with it more, but there is always the free build mode if you want to have a complex build you can always come back to.

I found a weird glitch on my town where the game is detecting that I built a room, but anything past that like a crude kitchen or a basic workshop it can't detect that I have built it. I tested it in other parts of the town and it works just fine. Is there maybe some rule I might be missing or is this just a glitch?

Running into the same problem myself. I don't get any points for the furniture placed in these rooms either. I might try and bring the walls in a step because thinking about it the two rooms I'm thinking of are adjacent to the paraimeter.

SkyOdin

Running into the same problem myself. I don't get any points for the furniture placed in these rooms either. I might try and bring the walls in a step because thinking about it the two rooms I'm thinking of are adjacent to the paraimeter.
Okay, first question: when you create the room, does it say "You have created an Empty Room" or does it say "You have created a Room"?

If it says Empty Room, then it is inside the base. If it says just Room, then at least one square of the room extends outside of the base. An Empty Room can be upgraded into a proper bedroom or kitchen. A Room cannot be upgraded, no matter what you put in it.

If it says Room and not Empty Room, then check the boundaries of the room relative to the sides of the base.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
its a deliiberate gameplay decision. Otherwise you're too powerful per region and you also probably end up with too many power items + furniture bits (expensive 500 point slime ballons + Bits) that would negate the town building/point aspect of the game.

the first time it happened I was like :( and it makes completing quests to get the special items a bit pointless. I'm at world 3 and the best thing is that by 2, you have the hammer at the start and the spin attack and the collecting bricks bit of the game is much much easier.

the monsters in the overworld, you can mostly run past in the game. Unless you're killing them for resources (there's no XP), mechanically you can just focus on the quests/materials and upgrading your base to get the best items.

Each chapter also feels different, for good and bad.
3 is my favorite, but i'm not liking the final chapter much.

Somewhat Minor Spoiler Suggestion for Chapter 4:
Head for the southeast Sage first, the reward you get will help tremendously with the other two

The difficulty certainly ramps up a bit for Chapter 4.

Story and Mechanics Spoiler for Chapter 4:
I did kinda like starting from scratch with barely any resources in Chapter 4, and using the Holy Water to restore the area, it's a mechanic that fits perfect for a block based sandbox. On the flipside the environment is bland as a result for pretty much the entirety of Chapter 4.

cluderi

Since I've been stuck with a bad cold I've been playing this all weekend and it's fantastic. I should be further along but I get lost in castle design, I'm still working my way through chapter 1.

I can tell there'll be tears when I have to move onto chapter 2 and
lose my 'crib', after all I just replaced all the flooring and gave everyone wall lamps.

Cairnsay

Banned
Am I missing something? Still in chapter 1,
up to the part where you need to build a bridge across to another island to find a villager. Every time I try to place a block I am stopped by a 'mysterious force'

Top Bottom