• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

timewyrm

Are the monster islands similar to procedurally generated dungeons (i know there are no dungeons in game) ?

Just not sure how much longevity the game has after you've completed the story ?

Begaria

Yeah, but what about all the care I put into building in the previous chapter? For example, when I saw that castle in chapter 1 my first instinct was "I need to rebuild this immediately," so I spent a couple hours cleaning it out and replacing some structure etc. After finding out that I won't be able to go back to that area in the next chapter anyway, my motivation to continue disappeared instantly. If you take away the persistence in story mode then you remove all the magic of the building stuff and turn it into "oh I better do the least amount possible to get through this chapter." It feels like it's in direct conflict with the spirit of the game and the mindset of people who enjoy this type of game. I guess if other people aren't bothered by it then it's maybe unfair to call it a baffling design choice in general, but for me personally it really killed a lot of the magic I found in the game originally.

You can load up your Chapter 1 save and keep building if you want. You get separate saves for each chapter. Each Chapter is in a different part of the world and are self contained in that section of the world.

renzolama

You can load up your Chapter 1 save and keep building if you want. You get separate saves for each chapter. Each Chapter is in a different part of the world and are self contained in that section of the world.

Is that how Dragon Quest was designed as an RPG (honest question, I've never played it)? Because I'm struggling to think of any traditional JRPG that completely cuts you off from the previous section of the world every time you transition into a new chapter/act. I'm just trying to reconcile what sense this design makes considering the nature of the game. If you look at any other game review in 2016 you can actually hear the collective groans if the review mentions the trope where you lose all your gear for some period of time and have to build it back up or find it again, but this game does it repeatedly. Maybe it will make more sense once I see how its handled through each chapter transition.

Arkeband

Banned
Is that how Dragon Quest was designed as an RPG (honest question, I've never played it)? Because I'm struggling to think of any traditional JRPG that completely cuts you off from the previous section of the world every time you transition into a new chapter/act. I'm just trying to reconcile what sense this design makes considering the nature of the game. If you look at any other game review in 2016 you can actually hear the collective groans if the review mentions the trope where you lose all your gear for some period of time and have to build it back up or find it again, but this game does it repeatedly. Maybe it will make more sense once I see how its handled through each chapter transition.

Dragon Quest 4 is the only DQ that dealt in segmented chapters, although the last chapter allowed free roam and combined the different protagonists into one team.

bryanee

Do I lose everything I've collected when I start a new chapter?

Also will anything bad happen if I dismantle this
castle
in chapter 1?

Aeana

Do I lose everything I've collected when I start a new chapter?

Also will anything bad happen if I dismantle this
castle
in chapter 1?

You do lose everything, although you don't start 100% from scratch. Each chapter starts you with a different set of base weapons and recipes, and has different materials to work with, etc. The core objectives differ quite a bit too.

I personally like it because I'm a hoarder and I like being forced to leave it all behind.

How does one lock themselves in a hole? I'm still new to the game, so not sure what you mean by this.

edit - unless you mean you dig a hole but then put blocks above you?

I am so in love with this game. Its approaching GOTY for me.

I do have a complaint and that's the camera when going into a building with a roof. Very annoying. I hope in the sequel its not a problem. Just making the walls of the building transparent would help a lot.

Maybe they just dig a hole that only the character can get into and hide like the wussies they are :p

yup haha that is what i do but i am using the cave method now since i am grinding for some materials

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
How do you prevent those witch enemies at night from teleporting into your base? Pretty annoying!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Dragon Quest has *absolutely* been experimenting with sending you to different parts of the world and cutting you off, at times. DQ7 in particular comes to mind. And teleporting whirlpools goes way way back.

oktarb

How do you prevent those witch enemies at night from teleporting into your base? Pretty annoying!

As of Chapter two I haven't figured out a direct counter. I did build my city up on stilts and they don't seem to come it. They seem to trigger teleport based on how close they are to you regardless of walls. Having height on them seemed to keep them out of range.

SkyOdin

My best guess is add more torches. It might be a placebo, but I swear they are less likely to teleport into well-lit rooms. Avoiding line of sight also helps. It just feels like they inevitably get in no matter what though.

I feel like this game has so much potential. I really hope they make a sequel and that they improve the game a lot. I want to be blown away even more than I currently am.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Thank you.

So whats every ones first base like? I'll post a pic of mine soon, early days but its coming along nicely.

Unless everyone bulldozed the initial ruins, they're all going to look fairly similar.

I should have bulldozed the initial ruins.

jonno394

Just wasted a few hours today building two storey buildings and changing everything to brick in my chapter 1 town....

Has anyone tried digging down as far as you can go? Is there anything to be gained by just digging in a random spot or is mineral mining best left to caves and cliff sides?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Rocket Slime 2 says get in line.

Worldwide sales of DQ Builders looks like it will break 1 million, what were the sales of Rocket Slime?

Oh ho ho. Mine is quite different. I go out of my way for interesting towns. I'll post mine, tonight or tomorrow.

Speaking of which, you can share stuff in Free Play mode, I might throw together a sharing code site this week. I need some practice with Meteor.js anyways, I just need to find somewhere to host it (I might do so internally).

johnsmith

remember me
Just wasted a few hours today building two storey buildings and changing everything to brick in my chapter 1 town....

Has anyone tried digging down as far as you can go? Is there anything to be gained by just digging in a random spot or is mineral mining best left to caves and cliff sides?

You can only dig down 2 layers from ground level before hitting the unbreakable bedrock. I've never found any minerals other than in mountains/cliffs/caves where you can see some on the surface.

JP

I'm trying to do as much as I can in the first location so I've done some pretty heavy remodelling around my base/castle and I was wondering if there was any forfeit in me doing such large scale work? Do things like trees grow back again or are they finite?

The reason I ask is because I've watched a few people playing the beginning of the game and the scale of the work they did by the time they were on the mission that I am is minuscule compared to what I've done.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
You do lose everything, although you don't start 100% from scratch. Each chapter starts you with a different set of base weapons and recipes, and has different materials to work with, etc. The core objectives differ quite a bit too.

I personally like it because I'm a hoarder and I like being forced to leave it all behind.

Whoops, good thing I saw this before I finished harvesting the bottom half of that building.

Lucreto

Finally defeated all 3 Dragons in Chapter One. All I have left in the challenges is the 30 day one.

I know I need to replay that level from the beginning but do I have to do all the challenges again to get the trophy?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally defeated all 3 Dragons in Chapter One. All I have left in the challenges is the 30 day one.

I know I need to replay that level from the beginning but do I have to do all the challenges again to get the trophy?

Nope. Just get each one at some point or another. It's not an "all or nothing" thing.

Loving this game so much. Just spent a couple hours mining the abandoned castle in Chapter one for castle wall and castle foundation blocks so I could completely upgrade my town walls. Looks amazing now.

Next on the list is the walls of the buildings. Does anyone know where I can find a bunch of the tan-colored brick blocks? There were some near the castle, but not nearly enough for what I want to do.

bryanee

My first base is coming along nicely. First image is pretty much when I started and the rest are as it is now, the death drop I built around the base is so good lol, fucks everyone up which was inspired by Brandon Jones of Easy Allies, I didnt quite make a giant hole under the base though.

l93cqQ.png

qcCB7p.png

jdhqj2.png

j8SCHW.png

UspCnN.png

khF8fv.png

My first base is coming along nicely. First image is pretty much when I started and the rest are as it is now, the death drop I built around the base is so good lol, fucks everyone up which was inspired by Brandon Jones of Easy Allies, I didnt quite make a giant hole under the base though.

What kind of blocks did you use for the wall?

SkyOdin

I'm trying to do as much as I can in the first location so I've done some pretty heavy remodelling around my base/castle and I was wondering if there was any forfeit in me doing such large scale work? Do things like trees grow back again or are they finite?

The reason I ask is because I've watched a few people playing the beginning of the game and the scale of the work they did by the time they were on the mission that I am is minuscule compared to what I've done.
Trees in the wild don't grow back. However, if you plant tree saplings in your base, they will grow. Other resouces will not regenerate.

In any event, you don't really need to worry about running out of materials to build with. There are more than enough resources to turn your entire fortress into a four-story tall solid cube of stone walls if you so choose. The islands are huge and full of more materials than you will ever need. Just be diligent in collecting them if you are planning something big. Cladding/flooring kits are a great way to be efficient with resouces too.

By the time my brother was done with Cantlin, it was a city full of two-story buildings, a massive stone fortress, and an extensive underground. There is no such thing as over-building; all there is is building what you want to create.

bryanee

What kind of blocks did you use for the wall?

The vast majority of the walls were made with regular dirt blocks that you get out the ground and then I believe its called Stone Cladding that I used to turn them into stone blocks. Some actual stone blocks in there as well that didnt start out as dirt.

The vast majority of the walls were made with regular dirt blocks that you get out the ground and then I believe its called Stone Cladding that I used to turn them into stone blocks. Some actual stone blocks in there as well that didnt start out as dirt.

Wait. Stone cladding takes the blocks that are already in place and turns them into something else?

Aeana

Wait. Stone cladding takes the blocks that are already in place and turns them into something else?

Yes, and it's an area kind of thing. If you use it in front of a wall, then all blocks in a radius in front of you get changed all at once. It's very cost effective.

Yes, and it's an area kind of thing. If you use it in front of a wall, then all blocks in a radius in front of you get changed all at once. It's very cost effective.

....And I just tore down all of my town walls over the past day and replaced it with castle foundation + castle wall. O.O

But I did build my town walls 4 blocks high and 2 blocks thick...with ramparts! Ramparts!

Dragoshi1

Encased my town in Obsidian bricks, and killed the first boss, Chapter 2 has been kicking my ass so far, though.

It's fun, however. Went from raising a town to establishing a hospital.

Chapter 4 kicking my ass! I feel like I'm going to have to rebuild this castle a few times so I can get it just right for the attacks. I'm thinking a small spike pit with the flame statues on the west side. I'm worried that a big guy will spawn and just wreck everything again.
If only I could find a way to make the cannons useful from inside the town.

1upsuper

Just finished talking to Amazon customer support chat about my missing pre-order code. The person I spoke to asked what I was talking about, so I explained that different retailers offered different pre-order codes and I gave a link to gematsu since the product page on Amazon no longer lists the bonus. The person couldn't seem to find anything about the promotion on their end so they just told me that this site I linked isn't affiliated with Amazon and so they won't acknowledge the promotion. This is the second or third time Amazon has cheated me out of a pre-order bonus. I'm starting to get pretty frustrated. I'm in the US, by the way.

At any rate, the game itself is great.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can I build blueprints outside of my town limits and still get acknowledged for building it? Past the area where the music changes?

I have no room left in my second town and have all this stuff they want me to build...

Aeana

Can I build blueprints outside of my town limits and still get acknowledged for building it? Past the area where the music changes?

I have no room left in my second town and have all this stuff they want me to build...
No, but you should be able to build upward.

Top Bottom