• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Am I missing something? Still in chapter 1,
up to the part where you need to build a bridge across to another island to find a villager. Every time I try to place a block I am stopped by a 'mysterious force'

Continue completing any remaining quests. You never build a bridge to other areas, it's always teleportals. Why that sign is there making you think you eventually build a bridge? I don't know.

And yes, I did the same thing, lol.

Cairnsay

Banned
Continue completing any remaining quests. You never build a bridge to other areas, it's always teleportals. Why that sign is there making you think you eventually build a bridge? I don't know.

And yes, I did the same thing, lol.

Ahh, that explains it. I was worried I was somehow still playing the demo or something!

Cheers dude.

jesta

Neo Member
Has anyone been able to get the Day One DLC? I have successfully redeemed my Key from the box but the content has only unlocked in the store and doesn't have a download button to get (what is usually) the 1/2mb file to trigger the unlock?

Ferr986

Yeah the rarer ores are only in the monster areas, but i've managed to craft almost everything in terra incognita that was available throughout the story (including the motorbash)

Ah I see. I didn't find any ore on the safe island but I didn't venture into the monster filled ones. But I'm gonna have to if I want to progress with my town.

I also got an NPC, a bunny monster, but dude fleed the fuck out of the area lol I wonder if human NPC's can work and cook like in story mode, it would help a lot...

Has anyone been able to get the Day One DLC? I have successfully redeemed my Key from the box but the content has only unlocked in the store and doesn't have a download button to get (what is usually) the 1/2mb file to trigger the unlock?

I will be there for the free mode when you unlock it.

So, i finished chapter 1 last night, and today i started doing some of the challenges. I finished 3 out of 5. When i press square in the main menu, it doesn't show that i finished them. Is it supposed to, or does the little circle before a challenge just stay empty?

Ferr986

Night time doesn't scare me anymore since i just lock myself in a hole until day time. Good tactic to use while i explore

Caves are a safe place. Unlike Minecraft, monster don't spawn on caves even on night time.

Btw, I have already seen things on online free mode that I can't even wish to be able to create lol Right now I'm just doing a small RPG-like town (but without being forced to make it in a determined shape like in story mode) near the starting river. That means I'm building outside of the online sharing area. Don't really care about that.

After that I'll do my rich mansion to brag to the peasant villagers lol

jonno394

Night time doesn't scare me anymore since i just lock myself in a hole until day time. Good tactic to use while i explore

How does one lock themselves in a hole? I'm still new to the game, so not sure what you mean by this.

edit - unless you mean you dig a hole but then put blocks above you?

bryanee

I am so in love with this game. Its approaching GOTY for me.

I do have a complaint and that's the camera when going into a building with a roof. Very annoying. I hope in the sequel its not a problem. Just making the walls of the building transparent would help a lot.

How does one lock themselves in a hole? I'm still new to the game, so not sure what you mean by this.

Maybe they just dig a hole that only the character can get into and hide like the wussies they are :p

Flappe

Neo Member
So, i finished chapter 1 last night, and today i started doing some of the challenges. I finished 3 out of 5. When i press square in the main menu, it doesn't show that i finished them. Is it supposed to, or does the little circle before a challenge just stay empty?

It wont show until you've completed the chapter.

Is there a better way of building ladders or do you have to manually build all the ladders on to each block because that its a really pain in the a** for tall buildings. Another question in free mode can you build official buildings anywhere or does it have to be in the small area given to you to be recognized by the game?

Ferr986

Is there a better way of building ladders or do you have to manually build all the ladders on to each block because that its a really pain in the a** for tall buildings. Another question in free mode can you build official buildings anywhere or does it have to be in the small area given to you to be recognized by the game?

That area is to share your creations online, if you don't care about that, you can build anywhere.

Yup, that was it! Thanks :)

Now i just gotta find out how to make that damn garden, i've been at it for what feels like hours now, but it just wont register ><

That motherfucking garden...restarted it a couple of times, because it didn't even register as a room even though it had all the necessary. Eventually changing the location of the garden did the trick.

That area is to share your creations online, if you don't care about that, you can build anywhere.

That motherfucking garden...restarted it a couple of times, because it didn't even register as a room even though it had all the necessary. Eventually changing the location of the garden did the trick.

Its the worst, i've tried so many things at this point. Think i'll just move on for now, and come back to it when there's a couple of guides out for it.

Okay, first question: when you create the room, does it say "You have created an Empty Room" or does it say "You have created a Room"?

If it says Empty Room, then it is inside the base. If it says just Room, then at least one square of the room extends outside of the base. An Empty Room can be upgraded into a proper bedroom or kitchen. A Room cannot be upgraded, no matter what you put in it.

If it says Room and not Empty Room, then check the boundaries of the room relative to the sides of the base.

I think it does just say room now you mention it. I'll double check - thanks for the pointer!

Shifty1897

You can build ladders as you climb. Just start a ladder, climb as high as you can, and hit square with ladders selected to place another one and continue the ladder. You can build ladders very quickly this way.

Ferr986

Just build a home when night is approaching, it's really fast to do so. Sometimes I have these tiny tree crafting things in my inventory (dunno how they're called in english, sorry) to make me a door and bed if I need to build a room for sleep.

There's also half done rooms around the map to use for sleeping. And also, caves are safe, but you can't sleep to fast forward nights there.

hear4beer

Ah I see. I didn't find any ore on the safe island but I didn't venture into the monster filled ones. But I'm gonna have to if I want to progress with my town.

I also got an NPC, a bunny monster, but dude fleed the fuck out of the area lol I wonder if human NPC's can work and cook like in story mode, it would help a lot...

I will be there for the free mode when you unlock it.

The NPCS that show up only stay for 3 days unless you save them on your residents page on the flag. They walk around terra incognita using the workbenches filling the chests with items for you. Some of the monster NPCs that show up are super tough and can practically kill some of the mini bosses for you themselves so its worth bringing a few with.

I've just finished Chapter 1 and I'm not sure if I want to continue any further especially knowing that I've pretty much got to start from scratch in Chapter 2.

Does much change in the remaining chapters or is it just rinse and repeat?

Ferr986

The NPCS that show up only stay for 3 days unless you save them on your residents page on the flag. They walk around terra incognita using the workbenches filling the chests with items for you. Some of the monster NPCs that show up are super tough and can practically kill some of the mini bosses for you themselves so its worth bringing a few with.

Nice! didn't know you could take them to the monster islands.

I did put some workbenches close to the flag, I noticed the rabbit just went far away but I understand monster NPCs are only for fighting. Luckily you can summon him back.

I just want NPCs do to the same stuff like in story mode, that's why I'm putting a town around the flag.

Do you know how many NPCs you can save?

I've just finished Chapter 1 and I'm not sure if I want to continue any further especially know that I've pretty much got to start from scratch in Chapter 2.

They introduce new things, be more receipts or different mechanics (for example, Chapter 2 introduce fishing, and some more things). And needless to say new biomes and new NPCs with different stories. I would suggest to try it out.

hear4beer

I've just finished Chapter 1 and I'm not sure if I want to continue any further especially know that I've pretty much got to start from scratch in Chapter 2.

The overall structure of explore, collect, and build doesn't change too much, but the chapters themselves feel pretty unique in terms objectives. Chapter 2 has you doing a couple things that you had no idea were possible in ch.1 but it does get a bit more grindy as fishing becomes a necessity to progress. I'd say at least give ch.2 a chance as it gets different enough that rebuilding all over didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

They introduce new things, be more receipts or different mechanics (for example, Chapter 2 introduce fishing, and some more things). And needless to say new biomes and new NPCs with different stories. I would suggest to try it out.

Thanks, if they introduce new mechanics I'm more than happy to continue, was just hoping I hadn't seen all it had to offer yet.

hear4beer

Nice! didn't know you could take them to the monster islands.

I did put some workbenches close to the flag, I noticed the rabbit just went far away but I understand monster NPCs are only for fighting. Luckily you can summon him back.

I just want NPCs do to the same stuff like in story mode, that's why I'm putting a town around the flag.

Do you know how many NPCs you can save?

I have around 6 saved but I haven't tried to see what the maximum is. The NPCs will make stuff as long as you're making the appropriate rooms. I.E. having a full blacksmith workshop will have the townspeople making brick walls, sinks and doors while you're out and about.

Elixist

im havin fun still, the sheer amount of assets is cool and they're so well modeled. i kinda liked starting over in chapter 2 for some reason as well, i was so bogged down in shit i had overfarmed heh. new music new look ya (nurse chan too!) im diggin it

Begaria

I am really enjoying DQBuilders, nearing the end of Chapter 2, and it's already in my top 5 games of this year. It's a fantastic blend of Zelda, Minecraft, Dark Cloud, and Dragon Quest. I love the exploration, the town building is addictive (as is resource gathering), and all of the hidden side quests and quests the NPCs give you are on point. However, there are a few things I wish that were in the game for some more quality of life:

1. Item rotation. It kind of sucks you have to personally position yourself in such a way to put something down in a direction you want it to go. This would've saved a lot of time and a bit of frustration.

2. Fast travel/Zoom. You know those globes you get right at the beginning of each new teleport island? Those would've been perfect to use as beacons to fast travel to. It would cut down on a lot of tedious travel after you've explored an area and need to get back to a quest point out in an island. I get this game is modeled after Dragon Quest 1 and it only had the Chimaera Wings to get back to town, but this still would've been a welcome addition.

3. Enhanced combat (moreso for the sequel if there is one). For the most part, I'm fine with the simplistic combat, it works well enough for the type of game this is. However, I would've liked a block button to put that shield to good use. Blocking projectiles such as arrows or Fireballs would've been a nice addition to the combat. I get you play as a Builder and not a Hero (as Rubiss states and one NPC even alludes to how you don't get stronger by slaying enemies), but I'd also like to see spells added in to a possible sequel.

4. No fall damage would've been better than having to have a specific accessory to make it happen. Double jump would've been a nice ability to get at some point to carry throughout all the Chapters rather than having a specific accessory to. I really, really miss both of those in Chapter 2 as I had both of those accessories in Chapter 1.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does this give you a separate save file for each chapter, so you can always load each one you want to?

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
loving the game so far. easy to get lost in.

theres definitely room for improvements though. mainly resource management. would also like a journal to keep track of sidequests..doesnt have to be detailed and pathfinding, but just a reminder...

Also, my base so far...well it feels less like a town and more like just me cramming as many bedrooms in as possible... wish there was more to the town building aspect. maybe more harvest moon town aspects

I don't need deep fighting mechanics, but they can definitely add a lot to it.

I think I'm nearing the end of chapter 1...not sure though I've stumbled upon a
dragon
..havent fought him yet though...im guessing hes the boss.

i don't like how there are some missables though...as I'm pretty sure i missed the blueprints/recipe for the s
tone stockade/spiketraps, as I did the castle/king dialog before I did the ghost soldier side quest...now the king has disappeared and I can't talk to him about the blueprints...

also, what does leveling up my base do? I'm on level 4 or so and there is no indication of anything increasing or what have you.

Ferr986

I have around 6 saved but I haven't tried to see what the maximum is. The NPCs will make stuff as long as you're making the appropriate rooms. I.E. having a full blacksmith workshop will have the townspeople making brick walls, sinks and doors while you're out and about.

Thanks again for the info!

Sounds pretty good, honestly, free mode seems better than what I expected reading some pre-release info.

Does this give you a separate save file for each chapter, so you can always load each one you want to?

yes! chapters are separate saves so you can always go back to a different chapter and continue working on your town if you like.

loving the game so far. easy to get lost in.

theres definitely room for improvements though. mainly resource management. would also like a journal to keep track of sidequests..doesnt have to be detailed and pathfinding, but just a reminder...

Also, my base so far...well it feels less like a town and more like just me cramming as many bedrooms in as possible... wish there was more to the town building aspect. maybe more harvest moon town aspects

I think I'm nearing the end of chapter 1...not sure though I've stumbled upon a
dragon
..havent fought him yet though...im guessing hes the boss.

i don't like how there are some missables though...as I'm pretty sure i missed the blueprints/recipe for the s
tone stockade/spiketraps, as I did the castle/king dialog before I did the ghost soldier side quest...now the king has disappeared and I can't talk to him about the blueprints...

also, what does leveling up my base do? I'm on level 4 or so and there is no indication of anything increasing or what have you.

There's no missable blueprints as far as I know. That spoiler dude just moved to the upper side of the castle :)

Base level is a requirement for completing some quests, you're gonna have to do it sooner or later. I don't know if it gives something extra, never noticed.

Does anyone else find the story in this game to be oddly intriguing? I'm in Chapter 1, and I'm very curious to see how it'll all play out.

Begaria

I wouldn't say the overarching story is intriguing. It's pretty basic and in lines with the original Dragon Quest. However, the writing is fantastic, clever, and humorous. It's what carries the base narrative.

Lucreto

Do you need to do all the challenges at the same time or can you to 3 of the easy ones and to the timed one by itself?

HeelPower

I just tried the demo on PSN.Had no idea this released already!!

It was fantastic and so unexpected.Looks beautiful,sounds beautiful,controls sensibly.

Do you get magic abilities ? Does the game evolve later on ?

I am pretty close to buying it :D

Begaria

As far as I know, no, you don't get any magic to use. As for "does it evolve", yeah sorta. At least from Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 I've done, you get different weapons/armor to use, and different things to build and explore. Chapter 2 has a different gimmick to it than Chapter 1 as well.

Lucreto

I believe you can do them separately. You'd have to replay every chapter to get the Speed Run challenge down. This guide suggests you do the speed runs after doing the other challenges (SPOILERS):

http://www.gameskinny.com/zskm0/dragon-quest-builders-guide-ultimate-challenges-walkthrough

Thank you kindly.

Another question, is there a way to fast travel back to a location? I keep getting killed by those Dragons and the 10 minutes hike to get back is wearing a little thin.

renzolama

This game is enjoyable but filled with completely baffling design choices. The way the game throws away player effort repeatedly is something I can't imagine ever passing muster in any other game development meeting in 2016. The loss of not only all buildings but all items between chapters feels like a slap in the face to players who want to explore the world during story mode and not just sprint straight to the ending. The core reward concept in the game is collecting/building, why in the world would it not be designed such that you continue to expand your cities throughout the chapters and travel between them? Some of the accessories are huge game changers in terms of convenience/playability, losing them so quickly after spending hours finding them is just absolutely nuts as a design choice.

I'm really enjoying the game, but as I get close to the end of chapter 1 the thought that I'll lose everything I put the time into exploring to find is really disheartening. Really, the fact that free build is an entirely separate mode is baffling in itself. Why wouldn't the game simply transition into free build mode once you beat the story so that all your progress building your cities would carry directly into the 'endgame' mode? I don't understand why the game is segregated this way between chapters and modes. It doesn't seem to provide any value to players and I can't imagine it made development any less complex.

When you combine all this with the lack of meaningful options/settings or controls explanations it feels very much like a big step backwards in Japanese game development. The fact that vita and ps4 aren't cross-save is icing on the cake - they could have made significantly more profit by players double-dipping (I know I would have bought the vita version also), yet they didn't put the effort into making that happen even though almost every other similar JRPG port is doing it as standard now? I just don't get it. That being said, the only reason I find it so frustrating is that I really enjoy the core game.

So I'm currently on the first chapter and I built a couple private rooms on a second floor. The problem is that none of the NPCs actually want to go up the stairs at night and end up just wandering around town. Does anyone know if it's possible for this to work? I read something elsewhere about make sure that the stairways had doors at the top and bottom to create a "path" of sorts, but I'm still not getting anything.

bomblord1

Banned
Is there any way to set the camera distance closer? I can barely see my character and I can't make out any of the characters facial features.

Along the same line of thought can I increase the size of text/textboxes as I can barely read them and it strains my eyes.

I didn't see anything in settings.

This game is enjoyable but filled with completely baffling design choices. The way the game throws away player effort repeatedly is something I can't imagine ever passing muster in any other game development meeting in 2016. The loss of not only all buildings but all items between chapters feels like a slap in the face to players who want to explore the world during story mode and not just sprint straight to the ending. The core reward concept in the game is collecting/building, why in the world would it not be designed such that you continue to expand your cities throughout the chapters and travel between them? Some of the accessories are huge game changers in terms of convenience/playability, losing them so quickly after spending hours finding them is just absolutely nuts as a design choice.

I'm really enjoying the game, but as I get close to the end of chapter 1 the thought that I'll lose everything I put the time into exploring to find is really disheartening. Really, the fact that free build is an entirely separate mode is baffling in itself. Why wouldn't the game simply transition into free build mode once you beat the story so that all your progress building your cities would carry directly into the 'endgame' mode? I don't understand why the game is segregated this way between chapters and modes. It doesn't seem to provide any value to players and I can't imagine it made development any less complex.

When you combine all this with the lack of meaningful options/settings or controls explanations it feels very much like a big step backwards in Japanese game development. That being said, the only reason I find it so frustrating is that I really enjoy the core game.

Think of each chapter like stages. You beat a stage and move on. It's built lime that so that you're provided certain limitations in each stage.

Begaria

Thank you kindly.

Another question, is there a way to fast travel back to a location? I keep getting killed by those Dragons and the 10 minutes hike to get back is wearing a little thin.

Nope, no fast travel unfortunately, one of my grievances that I mention in an earlier post.

The way the game throws away player effort repeatedly is something I can't imagine ever passing muster in any other game development meeting in 2016.

It's actually not that big of a deal in most respects. The loss of accessories kinda sucks especially if you have the double jump/no fall damage accessories. However, taking away your materials and forcing you to start over isn't that big of a deal because, at least in Chapter 2, for the most part what you're building and the resources you collect can be completely different. They also change some of the recipes a little bit from chapter to chapter. There's a certain sense of loss that's completely replaced by determination as I realized this.

Though it does COMPLETELY suck to lose the Colossal Coffer until you build another, and you don't even get the materials for it easily until the first teleport island in the 2nd chapter.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Think of each chapter like stages. You beat a stage and move on. It's built lime that so that you're provided certain limitations in each stage.

ah - makes sense. knowing to treat each chapter as a stage will help me curb my exploring/time wasting habits. I'll know to just focus on each quest and not go off on my own grinding and doing too many side quests (unless required).

i get such a little kings story vibe with this game, aside from the pikmin-esque minions to do your bidding

renzolama

It's actually not that big of a deal in most respects.

Yeah, but what about all the care I put into building in the previous chapter? For example, when I saw that castle in chapter 1 my first instinct was "I need to rebuild this immediately," so I spent a couple hours cleaning it out and replacing some structure etc. After finding out that I won't be able to go back to that area in the next chapter anyway, my motivation to continue disappeared instantly. If you take away the persistence in story mode then you remove all the magic of the building stuff and turn it into "oh I better do the least amount possible to get through this chapter." It feels like it's in direct conflict with the spirit of the game and the mindset of people who enjoy this type of game. I guess if other people aren't bothered by it then it's maybe unfair to call it a baffling design choice in general, but for me personally it really killed a lot of the magic I found in the game originally.

HeelPower

As far as I know, no, you don't get any magic to use. As for "does it evolve", yeah sorta. At least from Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 I've done, you get different weapons/armor to use, and different things to build and explore. Chapter 2 has a different gimmick to it than Chapter 1 as well.

Sounds great.

A bit disappointed you dont get magic.The animations & magic looked soo neat when the enemies used them.

Top Bottom