• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Im pretty sure this isnt a bug but i cant figure it out for the life of me... Im creating all the rooms with the right specs, even destroying rooms and rebuilding them, but the correct rooms arent getting recognized by the game so nothing is being checked off.. Has anyone run into this?? Im started having issues with when i wanted to fit my forge into the stonemason studio so i broke apart the stone workshop to make it bigger but not it wont recognize the studio or even a new workshop... Also it wont learn the dressing room or even a basic room.... Dunno what to do

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Im pretty sure this isnt a bug but i cant figure it out for the life of me... Im creating all the rooms with the right specs, even destroying rooms and rebuilding them, but the correct rooms arent getting recognized by the game so nothing is being checked off.. Has anyone run into this?? Im started having issues with when i wanted to fit my forge into the stonemason studio so i broke apart the stone workshop to make it bigger but not it wont recognize the studio or even a new workshop... Also it wont learn the dressing room or even a basic room.... Dunno what to do

you might be building things in the wrong order. that exact situation happened to me with the forge -- turns out i was building something that the guy didn't want yet, and i had to build the other thing.

Erdrick

Same issue, with the mason studio. I'm at a loss. I've tried everything that I can think of.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
you might be building things in the wrong order. that exact situation happened to me with the forge -- turns out i was building something that the guy didn't want yet, and i had to build the other thing.

Ill try this tomorrow...

Do rooms have to be a certain size or shape?

Does the dressing roomneed to go in pippas private room? Im so frustrated now that nothing is being registered. Wasted a lot of time building and rebuilding and moving stuff around

Same issue, with the mason studio. I'm at a loss. I've tried everything that I can think of.

Wow and in the same spot as me - makes me think its a glitch. Fuck! Really not in the mood to start over. Wish this game auto saved

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Ill try this tomorrow...

Do rooms have to be a certain size or shape?

Does the dressing roomneed to go in pippas private room? Im so frustrated now that nothing is being registered. Wasted a lot of time building and rebuilding and moving stuff around

Wow and in the same spot as me - makes me think its a glitch. Fuck! Really not in the mood to start over. Wish this game auto saved

-- rooms do NOT have to be a certain size or shape, only big enough to fit all the required items. HOWEVER

-- room can be too big.

-- dressing room is just a plain bedroom with a wardrobe and two stools in it AFAIK.

Aeana

Are you guys sure you aren't missing small details? Like a pot or a torch or a chest

Also make sure your rooms are like this

Code:
xxxxxx
x    xx
x     x
xxxxxxx

Rather than this

Code:
xxxxxx
x     x
x     x
xxxxxxx

because the latter doesn't count as a closed corner

oktarb

Okay am I missing something? It doesn't seem to matter what type of walls I build. there's always a monster that bashes through them. I end each chapter with my town in shambles. Very unrewarding.

Aeana

Okay am I missing something? It doesn't seem to matter what type of walls I build. there's always a monster that bashes through them. I end each chapter with my town in shambles. Very unrewarding.

The only type of wall that will withstand everything is obsidian.

Unknown?

Well in Ch 1 I used castle walls and it couldn't be broken through. But my brick walls were always being broken down! Stone walls are tougher I think.

SkyOdin

Common troubleshooting:

Q) Built walls, door, and light, but it doesn't register as a room at all (no message of a room being made).
A) There is a gap in the walls. Double check the corners of the walls to see if they are filled in properly. You can't have spaces on the corners.

Q) Built a room and it says "You have built a Room" instead of "You have built an Empty Room".
A) The room extends outside the confines of you base. If even part of the room lies outside the base, it won't change roomtypes nor will residents recognize it.

Q) Built a room, but it is turning into the wrong room.
A) Each room can only be one thing, and there is a priority hierarchy for rooms. When you design a room, start by first adding what is strictly called for by the room recipe.

Hammerhoods are the biggest threat to the first couple of towns, and they can break through earth, brick, and several types of softer stone. However, they can't harm worked stone or wood walls. Only the larger knights and other higher-end momsters can break those. Steel barricades are strong enough to resist even their attacks however.

A simple short wall made of either stone (made in the forge) or wood (not raw timber) will repel 99% of monsters in chapters 1 and 2. If you kill the 1% of remaining monsters fast enough, you can limit the damage to what is easily repairable.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Whoa, I just discovered the Terra Incognita mode and that seems to be the permanent building zone I was hoping to have. Just to be clear, does it start you out with more recipies then you've unlocked, or does it change depending on the ones you've discovered in the chapters?

SkyOdin

Whoa, I just discovered the Terra Incognita mode and that seems to be the permanent building zone I was hoping to have. Just to be clear, does it start you out with more recipies then you've unlocked, or does it change depending on the ones you've discovered in the chapters?
Additional recipes are unlocked by clearing new chapters and completing challenges.

Erdrick

Haha I was a fool. I forgot to add a chest to my mason's room. It is as others above said, no glitch, but merely not following the proper conditions for the room. When in doubt, just check the receipts/blueprints again.

Some real zen-like moments in tweaking your in-game towns. I'm sure some people have already attempted to build the towns as they were in the original DQ, or at least as close as possible.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Additional recipes are unlocked by clearing new chapters and completing challenges.
Very good, I'm trying to figure out why they still make you deal with the hassle of the hunger meter in this mode, though.

Roubjon

I have a question about a quest in Chapter 2.
One of the girls in town wants me to build a bath of some sort with 10 water blocks. I have 10 squares worth of water in a room, as well as everything she asked for, yet it's not coming up as if I completed it. It's still saying I have an empty room. Any tips?

Also, I'm loving chapter 2. My town rules and digging underground for a building and then having another lie elevated on top of it is awesome.

One of the girls in town wants me to build a bath of some sort with 10 water blocks. I have 10 squares worth of water in a room, as well as everything she asked for, yet it's not coming up as if I completed it. It's still saying I have an empty room. Any tips?

Also, I'm loving chapter 2. My town rules and digging underground for a building and then having another lie elevated on top of it is awesome.
Check the conditions again, in almost every case I was missing something. (The others I had an open corner.) could be something like needing one more stool or table.

johnsmith

remember me
Is it me or trees don't grow outside the base?

They do not. You need to plant them within the town borders. You can harvest them after only 1 day, but if you wait at least 2 they'll drop a sapling. Vital to get access to wood in chapter 3 early on.

Ferr986

They do not. You need to plant them within the town borders. You can harvest them after only 1 day, but if you wait at least 2 they'll drop a sapling. Vital to get access to wood in chapter 3 early on.

welp, I've been re-planting the sapling of all trees that I did cut for nothing lol

Now I wonder how it works in free mode, considering there's no base. I would like to plant trees there.

Daouzin

I really wish it tracked your playtime though. I hate it when games don't have an in-game clock.

This is driving me nuts as well. I have no idea how much time I've spent on this game so far, haha. Not that it matters, but I like having this info.

This game is enjoyable but filled with completely baffling design choices. The way the game throws away player effort repeatedly is something I can't imagine ever passing muster in any other game development meeting in 2016.

I find this opinion so troubling, especially when it's shared by so many people. Each chapter has it's own save file so it's not like you can't continue working on it.

I really love this approach because by the end of the 1st chapter I thought I was completely broken/over powered. Gaining a completely new slate with a new town lets you try out entirely new ideas.

I get that this decision bothers people, but I see a lot of people in this thread believing what I believe as well, which is that it's a great deign decision. So it's not like there's a right or wrong answer here.

Boss fight in Chapter two can go die alone in a corner covered in game design shame.

Haha, I actually set up my town perfectly to fight the boss, having predicted how it would behave, just on my own, but my placement for the weapons were too high so it was a bit of a nightmare. It was enraging for about the first 3 minutes, but once I realized he wasn't doing much damage to my town, I just fought him at a very casual rate. It wasn't so bad.

Definitely expected those crossbows to auto aim up/down though.

Yeah, ultimately I think it's a good way to handle bosses because as a player you want to protect your creation. By the time I get to the boss in Chapter 1 and 2 I had like 50+ medical herbs so doing damage to me doesn't really effect me.

I had this same issue too. Turns out I made my bath house waaaaay too big. So big it wouldn't register. I turned it into two rooms by splitting it down the middle with a wall and a door and they both immediately registered.

I wish the game had an "ask," button where the game would say, "If you're trying to make this area a "room," these blocks are the problem and it would light them up if they are wrong or need to be there.

Really loving this game, but I'll probably take a break to go back to Dragon Quest VII.

I can't help, but spend like 10-15 hours per chapter. Someone in this thread also mentioned building their city on stilts. That sounds like a great idea and gave me a really cool idea for my next town. I'm glad to hear the game is doing well. I definitely think this game has mainstream appeal.

N° 2048

Wtf then why does it allow you to plant them anywhere?

Are we sure trees grow only in your town?

bryanee

I've built a death moat filled with spikes surrounding my first town so all enemies drop into it. So good.

I'm going to make it bigger today.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
OK, I just finished chapter 1 at 19 days and got the speedrun challenge checked off. When do challenges get "cashed in?" Do I need to roll back to a save before the boss to do the other challenges and get credit for them? Or can I use the save after I'd already beaten the boss and used the emblem to lighten the skies? I'd rather not go through all the rigamarole of that crappy boss fight again if I can help it.

Wtf then why does it allow you to plant them anywhere?

Are we sure trees grow only in your town?

Same reason you can build rooms anywhere but it won't do anything other than let you sleep in them.

And yes they only grow in your town. In fact if you plant trees in your town before you plant the flag, they won't even grow without you replanting them after it became your town.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK, I just finished chapter 1 at 19 days and got the speedrun challenge checked off. When do challenges get "cashed in?" Do I need to roll back to a save before the boss to do the other challenges and get credit for them? Or can I use the save after I'd already beaten the boss and used the emblem to lighten the skies? I'd rather not go through all the rigamarole of that crappy boss fight again if I can help it.

Save after your boss fight. From there, you have to travel to the Chapter 2 Portal. Once you go through the little cut scene, you get your results for that chapter.

As long as you saved after the boss fight, you can reload that save as many times as you want to do each challenge at your leisure. For example...

I finished chapter 1 and got 2 of 5. I reloaded and killed the dragons for 3. I reloaded again and built the stupid garden for 4.

Begaria

Another thing I wish was part of the base building mechanics was Score being added for items placed outside of rooms. I'm fairly objective orientated when it comes to gameplay so it doesn't register to me to actually build many things outside of rooms because of this since it doesn't count towards Town XP. It's something I really liked in Dark Cloud 1/2, and it's just missing here. I mean, yeah, I could just do that, but it's just a waste of resources.

N° 2048

More baffling decisions....the female sign for Pippa has to be INSIDE ..."so she doesn't forget what room she's in"

What????

jonno394

More baffling decisions....the female sign for Pippa has to be INSIDE ..."so she doesn't forget what room she's in"

What????

How do people know it's an inn when the sign is inside? I put it outside first, but then realised the game only detects signs inside the actual room :/

renzolama

What????

Just pretend it's an anime, and the sign is inside because it allows for walk-in-while-changing hijinks for the protagonist. "Oh pardon me, I didn't realize this was a private room. Why don't you put the sign outside!"

OmegaFax

What????

The rooms are almost pointless except to get points to level up your town. Everyone goes to empty bedrooms or the Inn at night. The game isn't too forward about redundancy or what constitutes an updated living space or workspace.

eagledare

The lack of a quest log in this game to indicate where I should be going or what I should be doing (or even which of the ten different craft stations I should use to build something) is infuriating. It's baffling that SE would release the game without that feature, which is pretty much taken as read for RPGs at this point. A random text bubble over a villager's head isn't enough.

I love everything else about the game, but this single oversight might be enough to burn me out.

Begaria

I'm not too put out by the lack of a Quest log since there are giant, looming, never out of your sight, golden "Q"s on your minimap and map.

jonno394

I'm not too put out by the lack of a Quest log since there are giant, looming, never out of your sight, golden "Q"s on your minimap and map.

Plus (so far at least) the quest givers will always mention the specific quest whenever you talk to them, or it appears in a speech bubble over there head.

I have finally gotten to the second chapter and I'm kinda happy everything resets from there. I had so much useless stuff and I feel like there isn't really a way to get rid of it. I'm enjoying starting fresh so far but I don't know how I'll feel about that when i have to the same things in chapter 3.

What????

Yep, which is why I just made two signs - one inside, one outside - for the bedrooms, inn, and shops, just for my own satisfaction because that's how an RPG town SHOULD LOOK, DAMMIT.

I have finally gotten to the second chapter and I'm kinda happy everything resets from there. I had so much useless stuff and I feel like there isn't really a way to get rid of it. I'm enjoying starting fresh so far but I don't know how I'll feel about that when i have to the same things in chapter 3.

Stuff on your person can only be discarded onto the ground, but stuff in your chests/coffer can be destroyed. I had the same issue because my stupid brain doesn't like leaving items littered around, usefulness aside. I have to pick everything up and handle it properly.

SkyOdin

What????
It is a side-effect of how rooms are programmed. The game uses an relatively easy to use system for defining rooms. However, it means that rooms can only check their internal contents to determine what the room is. The rooms can't see what is outside the narrowly defined confines of the room.

Programming rooms to check for signs outside the room would probably result in a lot of unexpected and annoying results.

hampig

Been asking this since release and nobody has gotten back to me yet.

I want the game either way, but I really would love to know if there's any sort of weather in the game? Rain?

Been asking this since release and nobody has gotten back to me yet.

I want the game either way, but I really would love to know if there's any sort of weather in the game? Rain?

There doesn't seem to be. Which is good, because no one in my town has a roof.

I found a weird glitch on my town where the game is detecting that I built a room, but anything past that like a crude kitchen or a basic workshop it can't detect that I have built it. I tested it in other parts of the town and it works just fine. Is there maybe some rule I might be missing or is this just a glitch?

I had the exact same issues. What I found out was I had extended my town over the highlighted area and once I moved the exterior wall back within the designated town area it registered as the proper room type. Hope that helps

Top Bottom