• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

chogidogs

Cantlin Garden is currently bugged for me. No matter which way I build the room, it doesn't trigger. Tried small and large trees too. Super frustrating!

Mihos

Gold Member
Can you ever see the stars in the night sky or is that being blocked out part of the story?

Well, kind of both.
You clear the sky, but then the chapter ends during the day... not sure if you can load and see the clear sky at night... or maybe in free mode which I haven't touched yet.

edit:
Actually chapter doesn't end immediately, but I didn't hang around until night or look up

Shouta

More baffling decisions....the female sign for Pippa has to be INSIDE ..."so she doesn't forget what room she's in"

What????

The rooms are almost pointless except to get points to level up your town. Everyone goes to empty bedrooms or the Inn at night. The game isn't too forward about redundancy or what constitutes an updated living space or workspace.

You should be able to assign rooms sometime in Chapter 1 so everyone goes to their own space instead of going to the inn. The male/female signs are where you assign it after placing them, I think but it could be a different sign. It's been awhile.

Mihos

Gold Member
You should be able to assign rooms sometime in Chapter 1 so everyone goes to their own space instead of going to the inn. The male/female signs are where you assign it after placing them, I think but it could be a different sign. It's been awhile.

Nah, you have it right. You put a boy or girl sign, then click 'write' and it lists all the boys or girls in your town to assign. You have to build it up as a private room first though (bed, pot, lightsource, door)

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Do you eventually get the ability to warp to key places or do you really have to walk all the way there each and every time? I know you have the item that instantly takes you back to your home town, but what about something that would let me then warp back instantly to a far away locale (ex...castle)?

Echo the thoughts of someone else who said that the lack of a quest log/tracker in your menu someplace is baffling.

N° 2048

NPCs only change clothes when you're inside the dressing room? Whyyyyy?

edit: had to restart game

Still having tons of fun regardless of these small annoyances.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I really wish it tracked your playtime though. I hate it when games don't have an in-game clock.

not much of an in game clock, but it does say how many in-game days you've played....so if you want to be anal, you could time how long it takes for a day/night cycle to complete, and multiply that by days...itll give a rough estimate though since i think time pause during certain actions and menus etc.

NPCs only change clothes when you're inside the dressing room? Whyyyyy?

Still having tons of fun regardless of these small annoyances.

They change clothes without having to go there? They only change once though, from the rags they start with when they come to your town to normal clothes. If you upgrade weapons I think they go back there but don't actually change clothes, just hit harder.

Do you eventually get the ability to warp to key places or do you really have to walk all the way there each and every time? I know you have the item that instantly takes you back to your home town, but what about something that would let me then warp back instantly to a far away locale (ex...castle)?

Echo the thoughts of someone else who said that the lack of a quest log/tracker in your menu someplace is baffling.

Nope can't teleport back. You can however bring a crafting station to make items on the spot which is helpful for some of the quests, but some of them have you running back and forth. And there's no movement speed item either, other than the meager increase from the first set of clothes. I mean ch3 has a movement item near the end of it kinda, but it's literally right before the end and it's kinda terrible anyway since it stops everytime you hit something and can't jump. They should have made these semi useless colored orbs you find in each teleporter island actually let you teleport to them. There's not too much backtracking though I've found, at least necessary backtracking(sidequests/challenges have a bunch of it).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It took me about 15 hours but I finally finished chapter 1. I'm guessing that I'm pretty terrible at this game, as I didn't do any of the challenge objectives.

N° 2048

They change clothes without having to go there? They only change once though, from the rags they start with when they come to your town to normal clothes. If you upgrade weapons I think they go back there but don't actually change clothes, just hit harder.

I had to reload the save then blacksmith went and changed :D

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It took me about 15 hours but I finally finished chapter 1. I'm guessing that I'm pretty terrible at this game, as I didn't do any of the challenge objectives.

The only one I think you'd complete on accident would be the "Kill 3 Dragons". And of the 5, the Cantilon Garden one is the biggest bullshit since I don't really know how you're supposed to know what the garden looks like without looking it up online. Maybe I'm missing something, though.

oktarb

You can't be terrible at this game. Take your time, smell the roses. Unless you're mad rushing through chapters to unlock recipes for free play mode. Seems to me if someone is fiending for free play mode might find a better option...out...there *Cough* minecraft.

I think this game is more about taking each chapter and squeezing everything you want out of it. Each chapter will sing to different people.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You can't be terrible at this game. Take your time, smell the roses. Unless you're mad rushing through chapters to unlock recipes for free play mode. Seems to me if someone is fiending for free play mode might find a better option...out...there *Cough* minecraft.

I think this game is more about taking each chapter and squeezing everything you want out of it. Each chapter will sing to different people.

Oh yes, I'm definitely loving the game I just feel like I'm being a bit punished for not completing the first chapter in a certain amount of time (47 days, when the goal was 20) but I'm not too worried about the objectives I suppose (especially since I didn't even know about them until after the end of the chapter).

The menu screen spacing makes me think there are 4-5 chapters at least, so I feel like this game will take a hefty amount of time to finish. I'm okay with that, but it'll probably fall to the wayside in favor of World of Final Fantasy or Final Fantasy XV in the next few months.

oktarb

Its an odd thing to love but I love that the 'get into the game' loading time is great, as opposed to say XCOM 2. It's nice to know I can basically jump right in.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh yes, I'm definitely loving the game I just feel like I'm being a bit punished for not completing the first chapter in a certain amount of time (47 days, when the goal was 20) but I'm not too worried about the objectives I suppose (especially since I didn't even know about them until after the end of the chapter).

The menu screen spacing makes me think there are 4-5 chapters at least, so I feel like this game will take a hefty amount of time to finish. I'm okay with that, but it'll probably fall to the wayside in favor of World of Final Fantasy or Final Fantasy XV in the next few months.

The speedrun achievements in each chapter just give recipes for the free build mode. So if you decide not to do them, it's not the end of the world.

Ferr986

I hope in the sequel (if they make it) they ditch these fixed room utilities because it's just plain a stupid mechanic.

I had my room in free mode with my bed and stuff. Remodeled it with a different shape. Now it won't recognize it as a room no matter what, it has the door, the light source and the necessary blocks. I wouldn't mind that if it wasn't because now I can't sleep because the game does not allow to sleep unless it's recognized as a room. A bed should work no matter what the game thinks the room is.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I hope in the sequel (if they make it) they ditch these fixed room utilities because it's just plain a stupid mechanic.

I had my room in free mode with my bed and stuff. Remodeled it with a different shape. Now it won't recognize it as a room no matter what, it has the door, the light source and the necessary blocks. I wouldn't mind that if it wasn't because now I can't sleep because the game does not allow to sleep unless it's recognized as a room. A bed should work no matter what the game thinks the room is.

yup - pretty sure this is a bug, im seeing more and more accounts of it... when a room is altered and tried to be rebuilt or added the game doesnt register it any more...i need to try to trouble shoot my issues tonight.

the game hasnt registered any rooms i make since i tried to add more room to my mason workshop/studio... I can use all the items though even if it's not "in" a specified room, unlike your bed situation

Ferr986

yup - pretty sure this is a bug, im seeing more and more accounts of it... when a room is altered and tried to be rebuilt or added the game doesnt register it any more...i need to try to trouble shoot my issues tonight.

the game hasnt registered any rooms i make since i tried to add more room to my mason workshop/studio... I can use all the items though even if it's not "in" a specified room, unlike your bed situation

I honestly don't know what is happening. I rebuild the room multiple times, even going back to the original shape, and now it refuses to recognize a room.

I mean, I can't think it's a bug because the game is almost a year old but I just don't understand this and I already lost too much time with this shit.

EDIT: Ended reloading the save from the cloud and now it works. Something must be going on because I did exactly 1:1 the same.

Anyways, finally got my first villager in my free mode town, and she's working! If you get an NPC that you don't want (for example an animal) just reload the save and a different one will pop. Seems like NPCs may pop after loading a save.

SkyOdin

Seriously, I think you are just measing up wall placement. The walls for a room can not be outside of the base boundary. If they are, the room will never be recognized as anything but a "Room".

Being able to use items doesn't mean anything, since you can use chests and workbenchs anywhere, outside the base or not.

I'm on Chapter 3 now, have spent over a hundred in-game days each in both Chapter 1 2, building and rebuilding rooms. I have never encountered any bugs with room recognition. Every problem I encountered was due to an error on my part.
m

Chapter 4 question.
during the first phase dragonlord fight, there is a door locked with a magic key to the left of his throne. Anyone know if there is a way to craft a second magic key to unlock it?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Guys....I've been playing for like 4 hours straight...

Yeah, it does that. First game in a while that kept me playing... for hours and hours.

In other news, I stupidly forgot to remove the legendary shield, and so that challenge is left uncomplete. Only one left, doh.

Chapter 4 question.
during the first phase dragonlord fight, there is a door locked with a magic key to the left of his throne. Anyone know if there is a way to craft a second magic key to unlock it?

Pretty sure it's just decoration.

You can mark locations, but you still have to walk to them. Basically trips are one way thanks to Chimera Wings.

Now for some spoiler options:
You get a vehicle in Chapter 3 and 4 and you can make it in Free Play that greatly increases movement speed.
You can build tracks and ride a minecart. Going to set up routes to the portals in free play

JP

I'm sorry if it's already been covered but is it worth building more than one Colossal Chest? Will doing that double my item slots?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm sorry if it's already been covered but is it worth building more than one Colossal Chest? Will doing that double my item slots?

You can only place one.

The Colossal Closet in Free Play mode does have an extra tab.

Keep in mind chests in your base are pulled from for crafting, so that's an option if you have a bunch of something.

Catman

Banned
You would think that after I played through chapters 1 and 2, that I would learn my lesson, and not go too nuts with my towns because they don't carry over past the chapter...but I just can't seem to help myself!! It becomes so addicting to just build and build shit. I spent so much time on this place in chapter 3, that I just had to show it off.

LSekKzI.jpg

At first I started with only a second floor, but when I went for a third, I went as high as the game would allow me,lol.

Around the entire first floor of the city, I have these pistons that should push enemies away from the town if they get too close. Seems like it doesn't work on some of the bigger ones though.

Since the bottom is always where enemies eventually break through, and the most damage is done, I kept it minimal, and built all the main rooms higher up away from enemies. Still got some building stations, and their hot spring room, lol.

On the second floor, I gave everyone their own private bedroom, with the ladies having the more luxurious of them. The boys just get straw beds, lol.

Upper floor has the nice workshop, and teleporters, but it's also has places where we can just sit back and relax, haha.

I kinda still want to figure out someway to make use of the minecart materials....

SMK

You would think that after I played through chapters 1 and 2, that I would learn my lesson, and not go too nuts with my towns because they don't carry over past the chapter...but I just can't seem to help myself!! It becomes so addicting to just build and build shit. I spent so much time on this place in chapter 3, that I just had to show it off.
I love the bathhouse and the diner! Nice attention to detail.

I don't care if towns aren't that important after a new chapter its fun just seeing what you can build. My chapter 1 town I made into a castle and I made an underground town too lol.

OmegaFax

At first I started with only a second floor, but when I went for a third, I went as high as the game would allow me,lol.

Around the entire first floor of the city, I have these pistons that should push enemies away from the town if they get too close. Seems like it doesn't work on some of the bigger ones though.

Since the bottom is always where enemies eventually break through, and the most damage is done, I kept it minimal, and built all the main rooms higher up away from enemies. Still got some building stations, and their hot spring room, lol.

On the second floor, I gave everyone their own private bedroom, with the ladies having the more luxurious of them. The boys just get straw beds, lol.

Upper floor has the nice workshop, and teleporters, but it's also has places where we can just sit back and relax, haha.

I kinda still want to figure out someway to make use of the minecart materials....

Not sure if this was posted yet but the Japanese Dragon Quest site held contests and had some really cool entries.

http://www.dragonquest.jp/builders/sp/contest

Edit:

free2_img01.png

tebunker

Banned
Was there ever an official word on why the day one edition stuff and Amazon stuff isn't accessible to those who bought it? Its sitting in my download list but wont let me d/l it

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Man, Chapter 3 is hard.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Question for people who bought digital - when I go to the store and look at the Day One Edition, it looks like I can still add it to cart to purchase. Is that normal? That's what I bought but it still gives me a choice to purchase it?

Just finished talking to Amazon customer support chat about my missing pre-order code. The person I spoke to asked what I was talking about, so I explained that different retailers offered different pre-order codes and I gave a link to gematsu since the product page on Amazon no longer lists the bonus. The person couldn't seem to find anything about the promotion on their end so they just told me that this site I linked isn't affiliated with Amazon and so they won't acknowledge the promotion. This is the second or third time Amazon has cheated me out of a pre-order bonus. I'm starting to get pretty frustrated. I'm in the US, by the way.

At any rate, the game itself is great.

I have a similar story. Didn't get the COD beta either.

All done with chapter 1, did the speedrun in 9 days, could have been 8 but i died once. Think i'll take a break for now and play some shorter games and come back to this in a few weeks.

Question - when I use the teleport pad and come out in a new area to explore, can I break that one down and move it somewhere new, or only the one in the town? I'd sure love to not have to make long treks to get to good mining areas.

Catman

Banned
Ended up making a minecart track in my base after all xD Used one of the empty rooms on the top floor as kind of a cart station, and it zips around between all 3 levels.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
By the way guys, don't forget to vote this game GOTY.

Coz so far, this game is really GOTY for me.

Top Bottom