• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
OH!

Moving backwards while holding r1 is faster when placing blocks than moving forwards!

(my bracer and clothes might also be affecting it)

Edit:
Wait... I can't replicate it. wtf

ghibli99

Only a couple hours in, but this is sooo good. I knew it was going to be great after only 15-20 minutes with the demo, but this is pretty darn special.

Catman

Banned
As much as I like this game and have played it a shit ton, I don't know if I'd be ready to call it GOTY.

Don't get me wrong, I love it...but I think it could have been better in spots.

My problem with Minecraft was always that I prefer a more structured game, and this was finally a game to give me those elements of minecraft, with a more linear story experience. Plus I love the Dragon Quest aesthetic.

Problems are though is the story is kinda weak so far, and I'm not happy that they went with this chapter system. I would have preferred a story that involved having a single town that you could continue to make bigger and bigger. Expand the borders each chapter, don't make me give everything up. I also wish it was a vast world, and if you needed to have teleporters in the game, just make them fast travel devices, but still make the world seamless. I don't like these invisible borders placed on the world, and you hit roadblocks too soon in every direction I think.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. I could totally see them using the 'Builders' as a brand -- Dragon Quest Builders, Final Fantasy Builders, Mushroom Kingdom Builders, and on and on.

2. I'm quietly reminded about what might have been if only No Man's Sky allowed you to take those dozens and dozens of material types and just let you build your own bases.

3. I'm currently hamstrung by my kid; he wanted to start completely over once we bought it and now he doesn't want me to play without him watching. So basically I can play 45 minutes per night. I could bust out my other save, though. :)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Is there a way to make grass tiles? Or have grass flooring, if that makes sense.

Yeah you need those seeds looks like a green ball with a little sprout or something growing out of the top? Anyways kill the bats and it drops. Though its kinda uncommon.

Turns a specific sized area into grass. (forgot what the dimensions were)

Basically what the person above said.

Tiktaalik

Kinda confused here. Larouche seems to want me to make something in the workshop with a sconce, leather sack and shop sign and I did, and it made a Blacksmith's Studio, but his quest didn't finish. Somehow was this supposed to be a different room?

Raybunny

Kinda confused here. Larouche seems to want me to make something in the workshop with a sconce, leather sack and shop sign and I did, and it made a Blacksmith's Studio, but his quest didn't finish. Somehow was this supposed to be a different room?

You need stonemason workshop(I think that the name). Do a different buidling with a stone crafting table, a sign, a sac and a chest.

SkyOdin

Take the forge out.

Tiktaalik

Take the forge out.

Ah I figured that could have been what it was... kinda weird flow that they get me to expand my stone mason studio by adding a forge into a workshop, but then I have to sort of go backward by splitting these things up into two rooms. I guess it makes sense.

Just finished chapter 2 speed run.
Finding it much more enjoyable to not rush the first time through a chapter and then replay it for the speed run trophies.

I really hope they end up making this a series like Dragon Quest Heroes.
I'm enjoying these spin-offs just as much if not more than the mainline DQ games.

Raybunny

Just finished chapter 2 speed run.
Finding it much more enjoyable to not rush the first time through a chapter and then replay it for the speed run trophies.

I really hope they end up making this a series like Dragon Quest Heroes.
I'm enjoying these spin-offs just as much if not more than the mainline DQ games.

Just finished everything in chapter 1 including the city and am ready to move on chapter 2. With the missing trophies on the chapter one I thought of speed running it later on.

I see this game as my go to for some relaxing construction moments. Specially with the Terra Unknown option where we can build everything we learn during the main story.

Chap 1 done : https://youtu.be/zHOg29R2WV4

Parakeetman

Ah I figured that could have been what it was... kinda weird flow that they get me to expand my stone mason studio by adding a forge into a workshop, but then I have to sort of go backward by splitting these things up into two rooms. I guess it makes sense.

This game is very specific about the "quest" building projects so if they are not followed to a T it pretty much wont count it.

Its why throughout this thread you see lots of folks thinking something is a bug when it comes to building when in actuality most of the time it turns out to be an error with building / item placement.

Once you get all that figured out though becomes a lot easier. So its not really surprising that folks are getting confused as the game is a bit strict for the quest stuff.

They should probably have just used more blueprints as those are pretty much impossible to fail. At the very least, they should have been more clear on some of these quests as they create weird issues otherwise. For example the lady sign being inside the room instead of outside, the forge thing they really should have accepted both building types for it to register properly. I personally had issues with the water room in ch2, I think because of elevation, the water was too low compared to the ground level of my building so I had to remake it entirely for it to register properly.

johnsmith

remember me
So my biggest pet peeve with the the tiny building area for the towns. I was hoping a big open space for chapter 4, but it seems to be the smallest of them all. It's made even worse by the fact rooms with roofs become nearly unuseable, so you can't even build up to compensate.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'd definitely play a Final Fantasy Builders.

Imagine creating your own Balamb Garden, or Midgar, or Zanarkand.

Parakeetman

Id say the major downside to ff unlike dq is that there is only a handful of shared monsters through the various games. Where dq has stayed pretty constant with its creature selection for the most part.

Just beat the final chapter. Loved the game so much. Gonna go back and complete all the challenges before starting the free build mode; pretty much only have the speed runs left. Though I do wish there was a way to import my towns from each chapter into the free play mode lol.

Ferr986

How's the AI pathfinding on buildings with stairs and higher floors?

I want to make an INN in my free mode town, and I'm considering putting the beds on a second floor, leaving the first floor as a sort of restroom, but I don't know if the NPCs can reach higher floors to sleep every night (and also don't know if the game will recognize the area as a room, considering how picky it is).

Parakeetman

You know I was just thinking about this the other day. I wonder if you can do it if you dig a trench from a body of water to your moat.

Since you dont get the ability to carry water in the first chapter that pretty much is the only option. Man that must have taken a while lol

Since you dont get the ability to carry water in the first chapter that pretty much is the only option. Man that must have taken a while lol

I went with the empty pit + spikes option for the border around my town. I often walk by and just see items in there from monsters that fell in. XD

This game is amazing. Glad they released the demo or it would have never been on my radar.

Parakeetman

I went with the empty pit + spikes option for the border around my town. I often walk by and just see items in there from monsters that fell in. XD

This game is amazing. Glad they released the demo or it would have never been on my radar.

Yeah I did the same with my giant "block" of a town in the JP ver lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrN5yJRRSjY&feature=youtu.be

I think if I remember correctly even under that outer layer past the first wall is multiple walls underneath with hollow layers filled with spikes

Just purchased and downloaded this game. Is it really only 900-some MB? That seems...smallish.

I can't wait to give it a shot since it's a sorta 'guided' builder, which is what I'd need to enjoy a building game.

Parakeetman

Just purchased and downloaded this game. Is it really only 900-some MB? That seems...smallish.

I can't wait to give it a shot since it's a sorta 'guided' builder, which is what I'd need to enjoy a building game.

For the most part the fact that you have set objectives is helping folks who never were too into the builder genre enjoy the title. As it gives a real sense of accomplishment and direction with what you are supposed to do as a goal.

N° 2048

I can see this game taking me like 100 + hours to finish ROFL

Still on Chapter 1 just building...about 15 hours so far.

It's a nice game to chip away at slowly too. Great podcast game too.

I can't figure out what to do next. I have 2 quest markers that lead me to places I've already been. I've been walking around in circles for like 2 hours. I can't tell if the game is glitched or just really bad at telling what you need to to do next. I think I'm just going to quit and wait until they patch it.

Ferr986

I can't figure out what to do next. I have 2 quest markers that lead me to places I've already been. I've been walking around in circles for like 2 hours. I can't tell if the game is glitched or just really bad at telling what you need to to do next. I think I'm just going to quit and wait until they patch it.

Unless it's not a glitch? tell us what chapter it is.

This game is almost a year old, I wouldn't expect a patch, other than maybe the western only stutter problem.

Kensuke

Is it for people you rescued?

I hope I haven't run into a glitch in chapter 2. I was supposed to find a sick person and bring him back to the sick bay. I did but the quest didn't trigger as complete. I went and explored some and I found another sick person. Brought him back too.

Now both of the beds in the sick bay are filled but that's it. The nurse still talks about finding the first guy with the quest marker over his head.

Ferr986

I hope I haven't run into a glitch in chapter 2. I was supposed to find a sick person and bring him back to the sick bay. I did but the quest didn't trigger as complete. I went and explored some and I found another sick person. Brought him back too.

Now both of the beds in the sick bay are filled but that's it. The nurse still talks about finding the first guy with the quest marker over his head.

You need to give the sick guys whatever they ask to finish the quest.

I did this the other day, it really only takes a couple of minutes. I ended up filling it back in though - my town at the time was predominantly underground so everyone just fell in and then smashed through into my rooms

Parakeetman

I did this the other day, it really only takes a couple of minutes. I ended up filling it back in though - my town at the time was predominantly underground so everyone just fell in and then smashed through into my rooms

One thing I never looked at is how the enemy AI react to water if they fall in it. Since outside of the 1 block depth lakes and such never seen any monsters actually go into deep water.

Never really bothered with doing a deep moat type of design thats why.

How's the AI pathfinding on buildings with stairs and higher floors?

I want to make an INN in my free mode town, and I'm considering putting the beds on a second floor, leaving the first floor as a sort of restroom, but I don't know if the NPCs can reach higher floors to sleep every night (and also don't know if the game will recognize the area as a room, considering how picky it is).
It can work, but you need to be mindful of how you build your stairs. I made a second floor in my town in Ch. 1 that the NPCs refused to use, and when I started taking it apart I noticed they were suddenly using it. I believe I had the ceiling too close to the stairs so it was messing with their pathing AI.

Begaria

World of FF is that nostalgia trip already, but I've suggested the same thing but using Final Fantasy 1 as a basis that just completely takes the book from DQBuilders.

You're a Builder in the FF1 universe on the FF1 map, and it's set in a time when the Warriors of Light actually failed and Chaos and his 4 fiends destroy the world (for the most part). You've got 4 good candidates for the 4 corners of the world to rebuild with each chapter being represented by a Crystal (Fire/Earth/Wind/Water) topped off with a boss battle with an elemental fiend ending the game with the final chapter being rebuilding Corneila and attacking the Chaos Temple.

Like, straight up a carbon copy of what DQBuilders does just with Final Fantasy 1 :p

Arkeband

Banned
World of FF is that nostalgia trip already, but I've suggested the same thing but using Final Fantasy 1 as a basis that just completely takes the book from DQBuilders.

You're a Builder in the FF1 universe on the FF1 map, and it's set in a time when the Warriors of Light actually failed and Chaos and his 4 fiends destroy the world (for the most part). You've got 4 good candidates for the 4 corners of the world to rebuild with each chapter being represented by a Crystal (Fire/Earth/Wind/Water) topped off with a boss battle with an elemental fiend ending the game with the final chapter being rebuilding Corneila and attacking the Chaos Temple.

Like, straight up a carbon copy of what DQBuilders does just with Final Fantasy 1 :p

The only weak point with an FF builders is that a look and feel of FF1 would only be relevant for FF1. The art direction changes between every entry. Meanwhile, with DQ, you know you are always representing Toriyama characters, using a bright color palette, using 8-bit retro sound effects, and a monster from DQ1 will 100% look like its counterpart in DQXI. Its so much easier to build a game around this.

It's kind of like saying there should be a Zelda Builders. Which Zelda? How would you represent OOT with Zelda 2 assets?

Rootbeer

Banned
Hey all, I'm trying not to spoil myself too much, but I see a lot of people trying to put off Chapter 2 or other future chapters, can anyone give me a non-spoilerish reason why?

Do you lose your build progress or something?

Atomski

I really want to like this game.. but after playing it got do long I feel like I've convinced myself it's bad.

I'm not sure what people are seeing in it..
Hey all, I'm trying not to spoil myself too much, but I see a lot of people trying to put off Chapter 2 or other future chapters, can anyone give me a non-spoilerish reason why?

Do you lose your build progress or something?
Lose all progress start over in new area. It's dumb..

Top Bottom