• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

Ferr986

It can work, but you need to be mindful of how you build your stairs. I made a second floor in my town in Ch. 1 that the NPCs refused to use, and when I started taking it apart I noticed they were suddenly using it. I believe I had the ceiling too close to the stairs so it was messing with their pathing AI.

Yeah Im testing it right now but I can't make then go up to the second floor :/

Rootbeer

Banned
I really want to like this game.. but after playing it got do long I feel like I've convinced myself it's bad.

I'm not sure what people are seeing in it..

Lose all progress start over in new area. It's dumb..

does it do this for every chapter? can you ever return to your previous cities?

Ferr986

does it do this for every chapter? can you ever return to your previous cities?

Each chapter is a different save so yeah, you can return loading that chapter save.

You start again because you go to a different island, with diferent biomes and different npcs with their own stories. You also get new recipes and get introduced to new gameplay mechanics like fishing. You dont repeat exactly the same stuff.

At the end, this is Minecraft inspired, people should expect to build a lot of stuff as a core gameplay.

ghibli99

Glad I read about the chapters before doing TOO much. On one hand it sucks, but I kinda like the thought of starting over, since there always comes a time in a building game where I think to myself that I wouldn't mind starting something from scratch again with a clean slate with actually starting the entire game over.

Oh, and I have to say that the
Colossal Coffer
is the best thing ever.

Begaria

The only bad thing about the Colossal Coffer is that it takes a hot moment to be able to make it when you start over in each chapter. I really, REALLY feel it when I'm out exploring and I can't just resource hog. I learned my lesson from Chapter 2 and I beelined to the point where I could get the resources to make it before really building up my town in Chapter 3.

I'm still on chapter 1. Just built the steel blockade thingy and one of the characters wants me to strengthen walls or something throughout. What does this entail?

All my walls are stone but that hasn't triggered anything. Is there a stronger wall in supposed to be building because there's nothing else available and I'm on the steel age currently.

Ferr986

I'm still on chapter 1. Just built the steel blockade thingy and one of the characters wants me to strengthen walls or something throughout. What does this entail?

All my walls are stone but that hasn't triggered anything. Is there a stronger wall in supposed to be building because there's nothing else available and I'm on the steel age currently.

Be sure its not a mission about just upgrading your town level.

johnsmith

remember me

I don't remember having to do that. Maybe he's asking you to level up the town's level?

Ooh maybe. Didn't seem clear but that could be it. I'll give it a try thanks.

Yeah that's what it is, they'll often ask you to upgrade your town in some ways but really what it means is drop some stolen treasure chests and furniture in some random room. Those red chests you get good stuff from are great for that, they're only 1x1 and you can stack 2 of them on top of each other(maybe 3? never tried actually) and give like +200xp or something, I was usually always over the level needed mostly just from these.

oktarb

It's also one of the few quests that doesn't give you a marked or Orange bold text in the chat bubble. if you skip conversions it's easy to miss.

Begaria

Yeah that's what it is, they'll often ask you to upgrade your town in some ways but really what it means is drop some stolen treasure chests and furniture in some random room. Those red chests you get good stuff from are great for that, they're only 1x1 and you can stack 2 of them on top of each other(maybe 3? never tried actually) and give like +200xp or something, I was usually always over the level needed mostly just from these.

Hehe, yeah. Building Treasure Rooms stacked with Treasure Chests is how I've been easily cheesing my way through Town Level progression.

Rookhelm

I'm pretty sure only objects within 2 blocks from the floor count toward points

Unknown?

I both like and don't like the chapter system. I like it in the fact you get to start fresh in a new setting with new recipes but also after Ch 1 I don't feel compelled to build anything extravagant again. In the free build mode, sure!

Ventara

This game is amazing! Having tons of fun just exploring and building. Regarding the strength of the block tiles, are the purple and stone tiles the same strength? They both take me 3 hits to remove, so I assumed so. Just finished surrounding my town with the purple ones and wondering if that was a mistake.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Only time I've seen a Q quest marker not come off after going there was very early on for the Chimera Wing quest. The marker only shows you where to farm the feathers but doesn't come off until you actually build one.

Bolivar687

Banned
The only bad thing about the Colossal Coffer is that it takes a hot moment to be able to make it when you start over in each chapter. I really, REALLY feel it when I'm out exploring and I can't just resource hog. I learned my lesson from Chapter 2 and I beelined to the point where I could get the resources to make it before really building up my town in Chapter 3.

The transition can be pretty rough, you just have to rely on normal chests for storing your materials before heading out on a quest.

Hehe, yeah. Building Treasure Rooms stacked with Treasure Chests is how I've been easily cheesing my way through Town Level progression.

just wreck enemy bases/random world houses and steal all the lamps and slapping all the bits everywhere. I was in the first teleporter and my base was level 5. stole all the dragon tiles from the enemy castle (world 3)

The game is getting quite protracted, world 3 is taking a long time to get through.

carrying double
magic canon
and laying them to wreck enemies is boss. whack them with the hammer to disassemble / carry on. Makes fights so easy

SkyOdin

I've never had to do anything special to build up town level. I hit max level in chapter 2 without even trying by the time I got the second teleportal. Simply building rooms, decorating them a but, and replacing earth floors/walls with better materials gives you points really fast. Wall/floor material is probably one of the biggest factors. Earth walls give zero points, but better materials can give five or ten points per block. Multiply that by the hundreds of blocks that make up a town and it adds up quickly.

It'd be nice if the free build mode had the following:
1. Total points of your island
2. The blueprints
3. Room names/effects
4. Ability to add notes to your red/green/blue globes

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It'd be nice if the free build mode had the following:
1. Total points of your island
2. The blueprints
3. Room names/effects
4. Ability to add notes to your red/green/blue globes

Free Play does have the room effects.

I wish free play had quests/objectives, and that you could build portals to each of the chapters. The areas in the chapters are better made than the free play areas.

I also don't like having to make items to get crops to grow... I don't get why they did that.

After playing a goal driven campaign, it's jarring to go to free play.

mstevens

I don't mind having to start over each chapter at all. It's fun having different little cities, and I sometimes go back and add to each one. I try to make each one differently.

N° 2048

Chapter 1 done. I really can't see myself putting too much time into free mode. I love the quest based building too much.

They locked recipes behind challenges too. Why?

Everything should unlock when you finish the chapter.

Ferr986

Chapter 1 done. I really can't see myself putting too much time into free mode. I love the quest based building too much.

They locked recipes behind challenges too. Why?

Everything should unlock when you finish the chapter.

I like both modes. Free mode is cool because you can build without the base restrictions. It still got survival elements and npcs (although no quests). Recipes being locked is shit though.

That being said, If you never liked Minecraft then I can understand not liking free mode.

Free Play does have the room effects.

I wish free play had quests/objectives, and that you could build portals to each of the chapters. The areas in the chapters are better made than the free play areas.

I also don't like having to make items to get crops to grow... I don't get why they did that.

After playing a goal driven campaign, it's jarring to go to free play.

I know it has the room effects, I just want to walk into my bistro and have it read "BBQ Bistro. Hunger meter does not delplete while in town." Or "Fancy Inn, Kol Bathhouse" and so on.

Right now I walk in a room and it does not tell me it's even a room.

Just keep exploring and doing quests for your villagers. Eventually something will happen with the sick guys. Maybe you missed a sick person somewhere?

I got two of them and one is coughing every two seconds. I hope it's not glitched. I only have the nurse so far as a healthy citizen so not much else I can do.

I got two of them and one is coughing every two seconds. I hope it's not glitched. I only have the nurse so far as a healthy citizen so not much else I can do.

that's not the quest, carry on and attend to the the requests. I won't spoil what happens with these two but ... you'll find out later.

either upgrade the town or speak to the various people in town and do their quests

N° 2048

Chapter 2 is a whole new ballgame. Learned a lot from Chapter 1 building that I didn't bother to fix so now I will have a way better layout for my town

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm going to try underground. Anyone know how far you can do down?

Not that deep. Actual depth will depend on the land height above it. Someone else in here posted a "general depth" info but that was pages back and no real idea on what the "average" height of the actual land is in terms of with all the different scenarios you will be playing through.

Parakeetman

How do I get into the
pyramid
in chapter one? The fall is too far for me to survive if I go in the top.

Yeah there should be a standard entrance as others mentioned. Great place to loot if you want a bunch of wall torches. Though you wont be able to see much if you break all of them lol

I actually built a small base around there just to store a bunch of junk nearby.

OmegaFax

How do I get into the
pyramid
in chapter one? The fall is too far for me to survive if I go in the top.

You can drop in from the top if you want to. Wouldn't suggest it because you'll lose a crap ton of health unless you have the boots equipped that protect you from drop damage. Probably use the Phoenix Wing to get out of there.

Is it possible to complete the challenges after you've cleared the skies? I'm at the end of chapter 2, and I'm trying to fish the King Slime in the slime pond, but he's not turning up. I've fished for around five in-game days.

edit: aaaaand I just fished him, lol

There's a door in the front, lol.

XD

I didn't see it because of the wall. I didn't realize there was a stairway to the right lololol.

Okay. Now how do I beat those guys inside? They seem too tough for me to take down. Not even my new iron gear helps. Do I just take the
Evil Idols
and run? That's what I did. Just wondering if there's any reason to go back. Already foumd the fireplace in that one chest.

Parakeetman

XD

I didn't see it because of the wall. I didn't realize there was a stairway to the right lololol.

Okay. Now how do I beat those guys inside? They seem too tough for me to take down. Not even my new iron gear helps. Do I just take the
Evil Idols
and run? That's what I did. Just wondering if there's any reason to go back. Already foumd the fireplace in that one chest.

Just grab it and run. I dont even remember what I did lol. Though I think I was stupid and fought.

Outside of looking for all the chests and looting every single wall torch there isnt much else to do in there I think.

Was just about to post this pic had found on the net where you can see what the pyramid entrance looks like lol

urktqcu5yomchu9cfkd9.jpg

SkyOdin

Is it possible to complete the challenges after you've cleared the skies? I'm at the end of chapter 2, and I'm trying to fish the King Slime in the slime pond, but he's not turning up. I've fished for around five in-game days.

edit: aaaaand I just fished him, lol
To answer the question, yes, you can finish any challenge other than the time one after clearing the chapters story at your own pace. You can even go back to your save file after moving on to the next chapter to work on completeing challenges some more. It is just a matter of re-using the exit portal to lock in cleared challenges.
First of all, place the sick people on a bed in the sickroom. Once they are in bed, word bubbles will appear over their head with a picture of an item they need. Walk up to the patient with the item selected, and press square.

Top Bottom