• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

Register

Banned
I want to make my city out of Flagstones, but I have a severe lack of stones to create them and I can't seem to find any in my vicinity (or the blue teleporter area). Can you get more?

Ventara

I want to make my city out of Flagstones, but I have a severe lack of stones to create them and I can't seem to find any in my vicinity (or the blue teleporter area). Can you get more?

Use 3 of them at the forge to make a 5 of those [forgot the name, but it right below flagstone]. Use them on earthstone to make a bunch of flagstones.

So I built my base in chapter 1 too big, and when the final boss appeared, all of my structures out of the bounds of the city disappeared, thus I had no defenses at all. Great. Now I have to completely rebuilt the outer walls of my whole city and try again.

:/

Register

Banned
Use 3 of them at the forge to make a 5 of those [forgot the name, but it right below flagstone]. Use them on earthstone to make a bunch of flagstones.
Yeah I stumbled upon this trick just after I posted.

Another very important question - now that I have enough building material - how many NPCs seek residence in your town(s)? I need to plan the layout and need enough rooms.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
One of my patients needs water, where do you get this?

Make a bucket, use bucket in water, you need another craftable placed in the water to make nearby water pure.

So I built my base in chapter 1 too big, and when the final boss appeared, all of my structures out of the bounds of the city disappeared, thus I had no defenses at all. Great. Now I have to completely rebuilt the outer walls of my whole city and try again.

That's honestly the biggest crap the game does, I know why it does it, but a warning somewhere in the game text is a must if you plan to do that. It will do that every chapter except 4.

It always felt pretty obvious to me that you should be building in the lit areas, but a lot of people seem to be having the problem of building outside.

Honestly, though, you can win the first chapter fights easily with no defense with minimal damage if you meet the monsters where they spawn (0 town damage on the boss is not that hard).

Any good Tantegel Castle builds? I can't find any on youtube and I need inspiration.
Place some blocks, then some light, maybe some more blocks. I dunno, put a chair in it or something.

Pedro-sanchez.jpg

ldcommando

Banned
Just finished chapter 2 and I have to say fuck that boss right in his featherly ass. I actually built a structure mid battle in an attempt to make the dumb item you are supposed to use work but even so it would still miss. That fight was such bullshit, I'm just glad it's over.

First of all, place the sick people on a bed in the sickroom. Once they are in bed, word bubbles will appear over their head with a picture of an item they need. Walk up to the patient with the item selected, and press square.

I already have them in bed and I played for a couple more days. Nothing is appearing over their heads except speech bubbles with 'cough cough' and other sick noises.

I already have them in bed and I played for a couple more days. Nothing is appearing over their heads except speech bubbles with 'cough cough' and other sick noises.

Did you treat them at all already?

If not, double check the room. It's possible you/some stupid monster broke a part of the room so it's not a sickroom anymore. Once you drop a sick person in a bed in a sickroom, they have thought bubbles with an item in it to indicate what they need to heal, as well as some sort of progress bar under to indicate how far along in their recovery they are.

However, 3 of them(of all the sick people you'll gather that is) will stay sick for a long time as part of the story. They have red-ish aura things around them and do scratch and itch emotes or whatever. You should have other stuff to do in the meanwhile. You will need to do the item stuff to cure them first though.

Finished first chapter. Not sure I'll delve in to free build mode or have the time. 1st chapter took a good time to complete. I did rather enjoy it. A few niggles with gameplay but nothing game breaking. The big chest saves so much time and management not to worry about anything. Glad I made my town within the boundaries as I did nearly go beyond them. On to chap 2 to start again. Let's see if it's varied about to keep putting the effort in town after town.

Ferr986

Got another NPC on free mode (yay!). It helps a lot on letting you focus on crafting and farming now that I don't need to get food or cook.

The only problem is that sometimes (not very frequent) they get the fuck out of my town and start walking aimlessly lol

Had no luck with trying to get them to sleep on a second floor, they just won't recognize the stairs, even though clearly they are looking fo a path to go up.

Raybunny

I wished the double jump boots were an item you can get asap in each chapter. I found them more useful than the lightfeather boots.

I wished the double jump boots were an item you can get asap in each chapter. I found them more useful than the lightfeather boots.

I've never found these. It seems most items are random(although they might also be unique since I don't think I've ever found 2 of the same item). Might be in chests I didn't find, some of them looked placed weirdly, for example one time I found a chest in the middle of one of these weird "towers" made of earth and plants that are randomly placed. It was inside it and the only reason I noticed is because I could open it from outside as I climbed.

Overall the game lacked a lot of craftable weapons/item other than furniture I found. Better movespeed items, double jump, float, faster attack/mining, more weapon types, more ranged weapon types(and them being more available) and so on. The game is very limiting in terms of what you can do, even just base building(you don't even get all the previous chapters stuff so you generally only have a few block types and a dozen or so of furniture choices only).

For me even though it was a fairly enjoyable game, it didn't even come close to Terraria in depth and options. Granted Terraria has had years of patches adding content to it, the original release was pretty raw. The difference is especially glaring when comparing combat.

The chapter 2 boss was balls. Not too difficult, but they really didn't prepare you how and where to set the
ballistas
. Ch1 boss was handled better.

Liked Ch2 overall though, Falcon Blade + Crit ring OP

Gonna take a small break before CH3 though so I don't get burned out.

Can you use the
Crown goowels
to craft anything? They say material but I don't have a recipe

Did you treat them at all already?

If not, double check the room. It's possible you/some stupid monster broke a part of the room so it's not a sickroom anymore. Once you drop a sick person in a bed in a sickroom, they have thought bubbles with an item in it to indicate what they need to heal, as well as some sort of progress bar under to indicate how far along in their recovery they are.

However, 3 of them(of all the sick people you'll gather that is) will stay sick for a long time as part of the story. They have red-ish aura things around them and do scratch and itch emotes or whatever. You should have other stuff to do in the meanwhile. You will need to do the item stuff to cure them first though.

Thanks! For some reason the room wasn't recognized as a sick bay anymore. I destroyed it and moved it a couple of space and it worked fine.

Syntsui

The demo was amazing, fantastic even. I will definitely buy when it gets cheaper, currently the price is ridiculous here in Brazil.

Raybunny

I've never found these. It seems most items are random(although they might also be unique since I don't think I've ever found 2 of the same item). Might be in chests I didn't find, some of them looked placed weirdly, for example one time I found a chest in the middle of one of these weird "towers" made of earth and plants that are randomly placed. It was inside it and the only reason I noticed is because I could open it from outside as I climbed.

Overall the game lacked a lot of craftable weapons/item other than furniture I found. Better movespeed items, double jump, float, faster attack/mining, more weapon types, more ranged weapon types(and them being more available) and so on. The game is very limiting in terms of what you can do, even just base building(you don't even get all the previous chapters stuff so you generally only have a few block types and a dozen or so of furniture choices only).

For me even though it was a fairly enjoyable game, it didn't even come close to Terraria in depth and options. Granted Terraria has had years of patches adding content to it, the original release was pretty raw. The difference is especially glaring when comparing combat.

You have the "free for all" option where you can use any recipe learnt from the main story that helps a little but I do have to agree with the weapon choices, movesets and character development are quite limited.

So, possibly stupid question. In free build mode, is there any point to the summon stones besides looking at people's creations? Like can I download some of the structures somehow?

That's honestly the biggest crap the game does, I know why it does it, but a warning somewhere in the game text is a must if you plan to do that. It will do that every chapter except 4.

Yeah and without going out of bounds my base might have to be completely redone almost from scratch at this point.

Will my city rank go down when I start removing things and losing rooms? I'm just a tiny bit over level 5 rank.

Once you've attained a base level it won't go done from that. However, within a level it will diminish if you remove rooms. If you've maxed it out, it won't affect you.

Thanks! Maybe I'll try to move some rooms to a second level to make it easier to shrink my base.

Also: what is the point of the Warhammer? It seems to do less damage than the sledgehammer and doesn't destroy blocks any more effectively.

Also also: can I revisit chapter 1 after finishing it to do the challenges? I just now got the gravestone recipe and need to go find that guy.

Cacophanus

Thanks! Maybe I'll try to move some rooms to a second level to make it easier to shrink my base.

Yeah, the two layer approach can really help if you are running out of space. I tend to maximise my rooms though, by having lots of items contained within them (rather than lots of separate ones).

Also: what is the point of the Warhammer? It seems to do less damage than the sledgehammer and doesn't destroy blocks any more effectively.

It does the most damage in a fight, more than the steel broadsword I think. It's not as easy to use as a sword though, so I didn't use it much.

Also also: can I revisit chapter 1 after finishing it to do the challenges? I just now got the gravestone recipe and need to go find that guy.

Yep, after you have finished a chapter you can go back and visit it. If you are doing the timed challenge, as in finishing the 1st chapter in 20 days, then make sure to save straight after the boss fight. Then go through the portal. You can then go back and do the other challenges at your leisure. However, you have to go through the end of level portal again to register the challenges as complete.

This video I did might be of help on the latter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uwpReyAuxE

Ferr986

Any tips for finding colosseum tickets?

I did explore the first monster island , opened chests, even killed the miniboss... And I yet have to find one!

My outer wall is right on the edge, like if I stand on it the music changes. Does that mean my whole outer wall will disappear?

Ventara

Just finished chapter 1 at 54 days. Only completed the level 5 town challenge. Anyways, I'm still loving this game so far. I like the idea of starting over from scratch, and I can slways go back to Cantlin again.

Lol at Pippa giving me a plumberry. Of all the things she could've given me to take to chapter 2, she gives me that. At least it wasn't anything homemade.

I think I might be glitched at the end of chapter 2.

I'm supposed to make the Divine Draught and administer it to Elle. Problem is after I've created it and walk up to her the only option is to press X to carry her. I have the Draught highlighted in the inventory and there is no option to press square to use on her when I'm next to her. Have tried creating a second draught. Tried moving her to other areas of the base. Nothing works. Did I miss a key piece of info?

Ferr986

I think I might be glitched at the end of chapter 2.

I'm supposed to make the Divine Draught and administer it to Elle. Problem is after I've created it and walk up to her the only option is to press X to carry her. I have the Draught highlighted in the inventory and there is no option to press square to use on her when I'm next to her. Have tried creating a second draught. Tried moving her to other areas of the base. Nothing works. Did I miss a key piece of info?

Did you put her in the infirmary bed?

Did you put her in the infirmary bed?

Yep, just watched a walkthrough on YouTube and it shows Elle with a draught bar above hear head meaning she needs it. However in my game she does not have a bar at all. She's just asleep/sick with graphical effects around her. None of the other NPC's have anything for me to do besides the guy saying to make and give her the draught.

Yep, just watched a walkthrough on YouTube and it shows Elle with a draught bar above hear head meaning she needs it. However in my game she does not have a bar at all. She's just asleep/sick with graphical effects around her. None of the other NPC's have anything for me to do besides the guy saying to make and give her the draught.

In my game, my
infirmary was fine. But she would only have that bubble if you put her in one of the select beds. - I'd added 2 more beds but it had to be one of the OG beds that was built.
Spent ages, running around in the game trying to work that one out. Was thinking my game was bugged.

On the last chapter now and it sure is bleak what the game presents you with.

Incredible game. I do wish that mechanically, it gets harder in a linear fashion but it really doesn't. The sequel should have RPG like stats + EXP from killing monsters that encourages combat. Levelling up your character should provide bonus stats to your attack scores as opposed to just having fancy equipment.

renzolama

I'm really envious of everyone who seems to be excited about or at minimum okay with losing everything in between chapters. I finished the first chapter and am having a lot of motivation even starting the second after finding out what happens. What I loved most about the game for the first few hours was exploring, looking for stuff, building things here and there in the overworld....I even spent several hours rebuilding that castle you find. Now in the second chapter I just find myself thinking "why bother doing anything except the bare minimum to tick the required boxes," which is not at all what I found enjoyable about the game previously. Did anyone else experience similar feelings about the game and go on to enjoy the remaining story mode chapters regardless?

Edit: Also, has anyone put significant time into the free build mode yet? I'm wondering if I could switch over to that and get a similar experience to what I was enjoying about the first chapter, but I'm dubious because it sounds like everything is so segregated that there won't be much exploring, finding ruins/items, etc.

Did anyone else experience similar feelings about the game and go on to enjoy the remaining story mode chapters regardless?

I'll probably be finishing chapter 1 tomorrow or Saturday, so we'll see. But I'm looking forward to taking what I learned while building my first town and using it to build an even more impenetrable fortress.

I'm really envious of everyone who seems to be excited about or at minimum okay with losing everything in between chapters. I finished the first chapter and am having a lot of motivation even starting the second after finding out what happens. What I loved most about the game for the first few hours was exploring, looking for stuff, building things here and there in the overworld....I even spent several hours rebuilding that castle you find. Now in the second chapter I just find myself thinking "why bother doing anything except the bare minimum to tick the required boxes," which is not at all what I found enjoyable about the game previously. Did anyone else experience similar feelings about the game and go on to enjoy the remaining story mode chapters regardless?

Edit: Also, has anyone put significant time into the free build mode yet? I'm wondering if I could switch over to that and get a similar experience to what I was enjoying about the first chapter, but I'm dubious because it sounds like everything is so segregated that there won't be much exploring, finding ruins/items, etc.

It's really not a huge deal losing gathered supplies and stuff after each chapter. Each chapter has a new theme and you get to explore and help out a new town.

You'll enjoy feee play mode, there is plenty to explore and find. Plus you get to build as vast and epic as you would like. It's quite a bit of fun.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hey, how do I get iron in free build mode? I can't seem to get to travel to any of the other portals except the first one, is it in that first anamy area somewhere?

Ventara

Well fuck me I just spent the last few hours looking fo water crystals for the water room, whenn all I needed to do was dig a hole and fill it with water (using the one water crystal I had).

Top Bottom