• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

I'm really envious of everyone who seems to be excited about or at minimum okay with losing everything in between chapters. I finished the first chapter and am having a lot of motivation even starting the second after finding out what happens. What I loved most about the game for the first few hours was exploring, looking for stuff, building things here and there in the overworld....I even spent several hours rebuilding that castle you find. Now in the second chapter I just find myself thinking "why bother doing anything except the bare minimum to tick the required boxes," which is not at all what I found enjoyable about the game previously. Did anyone else experience similar feelings about the game and go on to enjoy the remaining story mode chapters regardless?

Edit: Also, has anyone put significant time into the free build mode yet? I'm wondering if I could switch over to that and get a similar experience to what I was enjoying about the first chapter, but I'm dubious because it sounds like everything is so segregated that there won't be much exploring, finding ruins/items, etc.

you won't unlock many of the buildables if you dont play the quest.

Ferr986

Incredible game. I do wish that mechanically, it gets harder in a linear fashion but it really doesn't. The sequel should have RPG like stats + EXP from killing monsters that encourages combat. Levelling up your character should provide bonus stats to your attack scores as opposed to just having fancy equipment.

Yikes no, combat is the worst part of the game. Hell I think the game has too much combat right now, with the constant city attacks.

I'll rather they tone down combat instead, tbh.

Even with a better combat I would dislike having to farm EXP and stuff, this game is better for it's exploration and construction gameplay than for being another RPG to me.

Ventara

Man, I think I'll have to build a second floor for my town in chapter 2. It's getting cramped and now I have to build a farm, which seems to any be able to be built inside the town.

Yikes no, combat is the worst part of the game. Hell I think the game has too much combat right now, with the constant city attacks.

Even with a better combat I would dislike having to farm EXP and stuff, this game is better for it's exploration and construction gameplay than for being another RPG to me.

I agree. It's annoying having monsters chase you alfway across the map or to have monsters constantly swarm you while gathering.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Remember folks as a common courtesy to others use SPOILER TAGS when discussing content later in the game.

Ventara

Is there any way to prevent those ghosts monsters from popping into your town at night? My buildings are toghtly packed, so I always end up destroying something as I try to kill them.

Parakeetman

Is there any way to prevent those ghosts monsters from popping into your town at night? My buildings are toghtly packed, so I always end up destroying something as I try to kill them.

Not really, besides trying to make higher / thicker walls. Since sometimes you will just get unlucky and they manage to "teleport" through into your town on occasion.

Cob32

Finished the game last night. Really enjoyed the final chapter. Don't think I'll bother going back and completing challenges.

Straight into terra icognita and build some stuff.

Cacophanus

Bomb monsters attack your town in chapter 4. They blow up a 4 block radius area. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea.

Build a wall around your base. The bomb rocks only react to you. Also steal the flame spewing gargoyles whenever you see them, as they are good base defense.

Cacophanus

Finished the game last night. Really enjoyed the final chapter. Don't think I'll bother going back and completing challenges.

Straight into terra icognita and build some stuff.

The challenges are worth as they give you loads of items/recipes for free build mode.

I agree the combat needs work but I do like it as part of the game. My main issue is the range is so short I get damaged touching the enemies just trying to get in attack range. I get why though because of the range needed for mining.

Otherwise it's so good. I got addicted last night starting chapter 2 and before I knew it I had 4 hours sleep before I got up this morning for work lol.

Ferr986

I agree the combat needs work but I do like it as part of the game. My main issue is the range is so short I get damaged touching the enemies just trying to get in attack range. I get why though because of the range needed for mining.

Otherwise it's so good. I got addicted last night starting chapter 2 and before I knew it I had 4 hours sleep before I got up this morning for work lol.

Didn't mean they should totally erase combat, just tone it down a little.

Starting Chapter 2 basically everything but slimes aggros you, and the density of mobs on an area increases compared to Ch.1. Also, their aggro range can be pretty big.

Also, the night time only mobs are kind of annoying in the sense that they pop around you, not around the world like a regular mob. There's no way to avoid them as far as I see.

There should be combat for sure. But at the end I think a lot of people just run around forming a big train of mobs. I don't mind that and I'm ok at the end with how it is (even if a lil less mobs would be more ideal) but adding levels and exp would be a problem, game would be more centered around having to combat to level up, and I don't really like that.

but adding levels and exp would be a problem, game would be more centered around having to combat to level up, and I don't really like that.

I agree with that completely, combat is a means to an end for both plot and resource gathering but isn't really what Builders is about.

Madchad

I have been on this every chance i get feel like i have invested dozens of hours already and iv only just hit chapter 3 lol

Loving it!

If im honest this feels like the best purchase iv made game wise in quite sometime.

N° 2048

you won't unlock many of the buildables if you dont play the quest.

This is probably one of the stupidest decisions ever on this game. They also locked some recipes behind challenges.

Free build should have unlocked with every recipe in the game available for you.

But no? If I want to enjoy free mode to the fullest i have to finish the entire sorry AND 100 % the challenges.

So yea I'm done after the main story.

Ferr986

Honestly I'm not sure what to think about recipes in Free mode. In one hand I understand they locked some stuff, considering each chapter introduces new recipes, as a form to make playing a new chapter a more fresh experience (sort of not spoilering it if you want to call it like that).

In other hand it's true that this render Free mode half useless until you clear the story mode. I say half because you can still do stuff, but I don't know if I build everything, I'l need to redo a big chunk because a new interesting recipe will be introduced.

I still did some stuff in Free mode myself, got some NPCs and put them to work, explored the first island and got some materials, and made the basics off my town (with dirt) to have an idea on what I want to do before going serious when I unlock more stuff.

One thing I wholly agree is that locking recipes in challenge stuff for free mode is a bad idea. I can understand locking for story mode, but not free mode. Luckily almost all challenges are easy, but the timed ones sucks and I'll never do them. I just don't like playing a game like this as a time attack. A good alternative is put those challenge recipes in the coloseum (unless it's already this way).

Arkeband

Banned
This is probably one of the stupidest decisions ever on this game. They also locked some recipes behind challenges.

Free build should have unlocked with every recipe in the game available for you.

But no? If I want to enjoy free mode to the fullest i have to finish the entire sorry AND 100 % the challenges.

But this is the entire point of the game, it's the primary game loop. I enjoy unlocking meta rewards, and the challenges are relatively simple.

The only bad thing about the challenges is the speedrun oriented ones. You either rush through the chapter and unlock it, but not really enjoy the chapter to its fullest, or you enjoy the chapter and then strap yourself in for another 3-5 hour playthrough of something you've already done.

When the game is about discovery, unlocking every Chapter 2-4 recipe after Chapter 1 would have completely sucked the fun out of the story mode.

jRPG

Loving the game, completely lost at times though. I came to the ruins of Cantlin castle, or whatever it's called, and completed what the guy inside wanted me to do, but then I went outside and completed a defence challenge, and they said the guy inside the castle would give me the blue prints as a reward to build defences, but he vanished when I completed his quest? I can't find him at all and I want those blueprints. >_<

Jakoo

Loving the game, completely lost at times though. I came to the ruins of Cantlin castle, or whatever it's called, and completed what the guy inside wanted me to do, but then I went outside and completed a defence challenge, and they said the guy inside the castle would give me the blue prints as a reward to build defences, but he vanished when I completed his quest? I can't find him at all and I want those blueprints. >_<

You have to meet him on the roof if the castle if I am remembering correctly.

jRPG

You have to meet him on the roof if the castle if I am remembering correctly.

Yeah, I did that bit all before doing the defence quest, and he vanished after I opened the chest on top of the castle. Literally faded away in front of me, rather than I came back and he was no longer there vanished. Clearly I should have done them the other way around, but as I entered the castle from the side, I had no idea he was even there.

ys45

Started chapter 2 yesterday ,damn they cranked up the survival aspect on the second chapter at the start , I almost died for the first time lol

Got poisoned, out of food , and was without any healing items , good thing I managed to get back to my village and sleep to recover .

Arkeband

Banned
I can't figure out how to get the cods needed for the anti-paralysis pills. I only get sardines no matter where I look?

I caught mine near the bodkin that teaches you about rods.

It seems like the higher level fish appear more often the further from the teleportal you go.

How are you guys building second floors when you cant place blocks in the air?
Are you just building huge solid structures and just carving through them?

Ferr986

Build first room, then another on top of it. Of course floors with ceiling. Then just put stairs inside on the first floor going upwards and a hole on second floor to let you go up.

You can put blocks in the air as long as they're "touching" another block, so it's a matter of make a floor/ceiling with the upper blocks of the first floor.

No need to put a door or anything on second floor, game should just recognize it as a whole room unless it wants to be picky.

KDR_11k

Aim down and you should be able to place blocks attached to the block you're standing on, build stairs like in the intro to go up.

I can't figure out how to get the cods needed for the anti-paralysis pills. I only get sardines no matter where I look?

Go to the place with all the paralyzing plants and the bugs and fish there. Like go a bit inside. I fished in some lake thing that was there but I think the sea works too, but you have to go in that region specifically. I fished for a while where the fisher goblin is cause he tells you about it, but apparently even though he's right next to the region, he's not in it.

ghibli99

Yeah, I did that bit all before doing the defence quest, and he vanished after I opened the chest on top of the castle. Literally faded away in front of me, rather than I came back and he was no longer there vanished. Clearly I should have done them the other way around, but as I entered the castle from the side, I had no idea he was even there.
So what'd you get when you opened the chest?

Ferr986

Got to 2nd chapter boss. Fuck this, Im going to have to rearrange my town just for this. I hate gimmicky bosses.

Edit: wow this boss is beyond stupid. Basically you have to accept your city will be ruined. Its not like ch.1 where you can avoid your city getting damaged. You cant do shit here.

Parakeetman

Go to the place with all the paralyzing plants and the bugs and fish there. Like go a bit inside. I fished in some lake thing that was there but I think the sea works too, but you have to go in that region specifically. I fished for a while where the fisher goblin is cause he tells you about it, but apparently even though he's right next to the region, he's not in it.

Its the sea mainly.

Basically go to the Jungle area and fish in the sea.

How's everyone playing on Vita enjoying it?

Go try the Vita demo its listed in the OP. Fastest way to see how it is / up to your own standards.

Ferr986

Huuh. Defeated the boss and my town is almost intact even though the fucker destroyed quite a big area of it during the fight...

... Not that Im complaining lol

Neoweee

I'm a bit into Chapter 3. This game is great. They did an excellent job making each chapter feel different, which I totally didn't expect.

Ferr986

Finished Ch.2. Overall I liked it more than 1. Gonna miss those NPCs.

Didn't open Ch.3, instead I entered free mode and I got quite a bit of unlocks. Now I can really start to work in that town!

Just starting out in this, wondering about item management, is there a way so that this isn't am issue, I thought it I built a chest and carried it, put items in when needed and smash it to carry it again I could avoid it, sadly it spits my items out as well. Or is this a non issue in the game?

Neoweee

Just starting out in this, wondering about item management, is there a way so that this isn't am issue, I thought it I built a chest and carried it, put items in when needed and smash it to carry it again I could avoid it, sadly it spits my items out as well. Or is this a non issue in the game?

It's not a non-issue, but it usually isn't a big issue. You eventually get a Chest that can be accessed from anywhere that items automatically spill-over into. Also, when crafting, the stations will pull from your chests. You don't need to be holding the items.

The only challenges that are really tough are the speed run, and it's not like a bunch of content is gated. It's a few items. Give free build mode a chance, it's pretty fun.

N° 2048

The only challenges that are really tough are the speed run, and it's not like a bunch of content is gated. It's a few items. Give free build mode a chance, it's pretty fun.

I can't because I'm not doing the stupid challenges just to unlock recipes and I'm not playing a gimped free build mode because they want to pad the game for time. It wouldn't actually be a "free build" mode.

Everything should have unlocked when you finish the main story.

I can't because I'm not doing the stupid challenges just to unlock recipes and I'm not playing a gimped free build mode because they want to pad the game for time. It wouldn't actually be a "free build" mode.

Everything should have unlocked when you finish the main story.

Just to be clear, you're not going to give it a shot because you feel it's "gimped". Even though you've not tried it?
However you want to play a game is fine by me, I just don't believe it's as bad as you think it is.
Anyways, whatever makes you happy. ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

N° 2048

Just to be clear, you're not going to give it a shot because you feel it's "gimped". Even though you've not tried it?
However you want to play a game is fine by me, I just don't believe it's as bad as you think it is.
Anyways, whatever makes you happy. ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

My OCD will bug me if I cannot access all recipes in build mode, do you understand? It is not "free" build because recipes are still locked if I don't do the speed challenges.

Challenges should unlock something else, not recipes.

I'm not running through the chapters again just to do the speed run for one recipe.

My OCD will bug me if I cannot access all recipes in build mode, do you understand? It is not "free" build because recipes are still locked if I don't do the speed challenges.

Challenges should unlock something else, not recipes.

I'm not running through the chapters again just to do the speed run for one recipe.
Thanks for explaining. Cheers mate!

Ventara

Finished chapter 2 a few hours ago. Yes, the boss was a bitch, but it was mainly because of the horde of monsters destroying my town getting in the way. I foolishly built everything with wooden blocks and was too lazy to change, so my town was a mess afterwards. Not as bad as I thought it'd be, though.

I really liked the atmosphere and scenario of this chapter, but overall, I liked chapter 1 better. Main reasons being enemies heckling me up the wazoo all over the place, even in my town, and that I didn't plan well for my town construction. I like to give everyone private rooms, so the place got crowded fast. Also like the NPCs from Ch 1 better, though they're all really good. I'm actually surprised at the good characters and story. Would've thought a game like this would have a paper-thin storyline stringing things together. Moving into chapter 3, I'll definitely try to plan a town better, and just go with a second floor.

SkyOdin

It is pretty easy to build second floors. You can place a block anywhere so long as it is attached to an existing block. So, it is easy to build up you buildings to second floors and attach staircases to them to allow access.

When building a second floor, I start by adding a third layer to an existing set of walls. It is easy to create some steps out of earth up the side of the wall, letting you work from the top of the building. Once the walls are extended to three blocks high, I create a fourth layer on top of that. In my experience, you want a room to have the empty space in a room be at least three spaces high if you are planning on enclosing the room. That gives the camera more room when you are indoors.

The fourth layer of the walls becomes the floor of the second story, so I fill it in completely. Once it is finished, it is easy to build a new set of two-block high walls on the new floor.

The exact approach changes a bit whether you are going for a traditional city design made up of individual buildings or are turning the whole city into a songle giant structure, but the basics are the same. I actually built a house on stilts over my moat in chapter 2, starting with the access stairs to it.

zakujanai

At this point I just want to be done with the story part. I can't really enjoy putting effort into designing a base for two reasons: one is how easy it is to get to the maximum level (really thought later chapters would go higher than 5), and the other is because it ultimately means nothing because you have to walk away from it all anyway.

I particularly can't stand the boss fights. The first was frustrating but fairly straightforward on a second attempt. The second boss took me literally 10 attempts at trying to work out the best way to place and use the bloody ballistas. Just ended up with some horrendous monstrosity of a tower right on the centre of my formerly beautiful base.

I hope I'm not burned out on the game before I get round to playing the freeplay part.

Have to say just how fricken quick this game loads. From boot up to actual playing has to be less 1 minute. It's amazingly fast.

Edit: it's actually under 30 secs to load a saved game from PS4 boot. What madness is this?!

Parakeetman

Does the Day One dlc for PS4 also unlock it for Vita?

Unless specifically stated somewhere generally DLC are separated by platform.

Have not heard anything about this personally on my end so am unsure. Only thing we do know for sure about the game is that its not Cross Play compat due to save file size difference is what another user had found out.

I have seen games by Bandai Namco I think it was that had shared DLC codes where getting one will unlock it for the other platform. Though those titles were Cross Play compatible.

Top Bottom