• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

Aeana

I see. Well, not like I'd ever get anywhere near being able to use that. I'm so far behind everyone else - I've honestly no idea how people are leveling so quickly. Even people who just started yesterday have passed me.

How do you like the game so far?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there's ~10-20+ people lurking this thread wondering this exactly. I remember when you made a post about how DQX being an MMO basically deeply depressed you, or changed your outlook on games, and it stuck with me (even though I can barely paraphrase it).

Of course it's way too early for you to give a well-informed opinion about the game, especially if it really is like DQIX but MORE. It's weird to even mention it but it's an elephant in the room. And as much as everyone hopes you like it, NA DQ fans can also can get excited for a potential Wii U port if you decide it's not an affront to the series.

EDIT: Don't even feel like you need to answer now. Take your time with it. I guess I'm just saying there's a handful of people that have an investment in your take on this game based on your reputation with the series on here.

muu

Got myself registered at the tavern!

If its anything similar to ff they'll patch useful exploits quickly while taking years for ones that are detrimental to players.

Aeana

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there's ~10-20+ people lurking this thread wondering this exactly. I remember when you made a post about how DQX being an MMO basically deeply depressed you, or changed your outlook on games, and it stuck with me (even though I can barely paraphrase it).

Of course it's way too early for you to give a well-informed opinion about the game, especially if it really is like DQIX but MORE. It's weird to even mention it but it's an elephant in the room. And as much as everyone hopes you like it, NA DQ fans can also can get excited for a potential Wii U port if you decide it's not an affront to the series.

EDIT: Don't even feel like you need to answer now. Take your time with it. I guess I'm just saying there's a handful of people that have an investment in your take on this game based on your reputation with the series on here.
While I'm flattered, I don't think my opinion of it is really any more important than anyone else's. Still, I have every intention of making a post once I've reached a certain couple of milestones in the game. I stlil need to see more things before I can say anything confidently.

While I'm flattered, I don't think my opinion of it is really any more important than anyone else's. Still, I have every intention of making a post once I've reached a certain couple of milestones in the game. I stlil need to see more things before I can say anything confidently.

Yeah of course, I knew I was jumping the gun but I was personally very curious. But to all of you lucky Japanese speakers, thanks for the impressions thus far and please keep them coming! If nothing else it's a very interesting game that we still don't know too much about, especially in the west.

urfe

I think making it so far in the game already is testament in itself.

I've been on the fence forever (well, since the second) about whether I'll pick it up. I even went to the store today. It's loving Dragon Quest versus being wary about MMORPGs and their gameplay mechanics.

Do I want to adventure with a nice simple story? Yes. Do I want to grind more than I did in Dragon Quest II? No. Do I want to customize my character, and explore the countryside of new continents? Yes. Do I want to see other characters standing around all over the place as I do so? No. Do I want to play my first big screen Dragon Quest since VII (didn't get into VIII)? Yes. Do I want to figure out what crafting is, and what people are talking about with the economy? No.

For now I love this thread, and will probably continue going to the store looking at the Dragon Quest X display.

I hate being a poor grad student!

extralite

dqx_02.jpg

My copy finally arrived. Funny, since I pre-ordered it before anyone else here (like two months ago).

I still need an USB stick...

Ledsen

Wait, Aeana, you're playing this? What's the story? Your disappointment surrounding this release could've driven a whole nation to suicide, so I was sure you'd simply refuse to play it.

Espresso

Banned
Got myself registered at the tavern!

If its anything similar to ff they'll patch useful exploits quickly while taking years for ones that are detrimental to players.
Muu, do you mind explaining how you went about getting registered @ the tavern? I honestly don't have a clue what to do, where to start.

Haha, yeah that definitely sounds like Square, all right. Here's to hoping that they don't nerf any classes (soon, at least).
My copy finally arrived. Funny, since I pre-ordered it before anyone else here (like two months ago).

I still need an USB stick...
Welcome!
My copy just arrived. I'm still waiting for my blue Wii, but I have everything else.

https://p.twimg.com/Az8hzeyCUAAzqmZ.jpg:large[IMG][/QUOTE]

Welcome!

If you guys add me as a friend in game I'd be more than willing to help you out, granted you're a Pupliko. I can't take the train yet to reach you in other starter nations.

extralite

The manual mentions that the game can (and must, since the USB will only work with the console it was installed on) be reinstalled on another Wii. That should mean that the game can be resold and bought used, doesn't it?

Gloam

Little bit annoying that you can't add players to your friend list when they're offline. Have to coordinate with the players I don't have on my list yet. I'm sure we'll have a guild eventually, that'll make chatting a lot easier.

Aeana

It'll be pretty awesome to log in later, according to the player site:

サポート結果

獲得した経験値: 120exp
獲得したゴールド: 562G
獲得した名声値: 3pt

Earned 120 exp, 562G and 3 fame overnight.

The manual mentions that the game can (and must, since the USB will only work with the console it was installed on) be reinstalled on another Wii. That should mean that the game can be resold and bought used, doesn't it?
No, because it comes with a registration key that must be associated with your Square Enix account to log in. Once it's used, it cannot be reused.

muu

Muu, do you mind explaining how you went about getting registered @ the tavern? I honestly don't have a clue what to do, where to start.

Haha, yeah that definitely sounds like Square, all right. Here's to hoping that they don't nerf any classes (soon, at least).

Welcome!

Welcome!

If you guys add me as a friend in game I'd be more than willing to help you out, granted you're a Pupliko. I can't take the train yet to reach you in other starter nations.

You're REALLY going to have trouble w/ this game if you can't read this stuff, considering how much of the game is text window-menu based (which is very DQ-like in a sense).

There's a tavern in every major city so first you'll have to get there. You should have the train pass by the time you finish the initial set of quests on the first village, if not you'll need to do that first. The quest requires you to go to 娯楽島ラッカラン(Vacation Island Laccalan or however the fuck you'd like to spell it) and get a さえずりのみつ from the alchemy guild storefront for 210G. So to register you need at least 210G+25G.

On a different note... This game has bonus EXP for parties! 120% @ 2, 140% @ 3, 160% with a full pt. It's amazing they didn't bother explaining this, as it'd encourage a lot more party play, not to mention people won't be pulling out priests and putting them back in after battle just to heal and back (what's become known as "hoimi tank") because in the end the time lost will lead to less experience over time. FF11's crew was boneheaded, and it seems Horii and crew didn't seem to learn much from their experience.

Aeana

Bonus exp? You mean for real people over AI? Because there's definitely a decrease in exp with each AI party member you have in battle, which is why I try to do as much as I can with only one additional member instead of a full party.

muu

Bonus exp? You mean for real people over AI? Because there's definitely a decrease in exp with each AI party member you have in battle, which is why I try to do as much as I can with only one additional member instead of a full party.

I checked the site I was getting the info from, and they do mention that AI party members don't get calculated in the same way. You may be right that there's a smaller bonus (or none at all?) with AI players regarding exp earned -- haven't hired AI players yet so I can't say for sure.

Just saying that it's not cut-and-dry 1/4 of original EXP, with a full pt you're getting 160/4 = 40% ea, similar to most RPGs to encourage PT'ing. w/ the 100/120/140/160 calculation there's a 15% difference between a 3man and 4man pt, which should be more than made up when you consider time lost fumbling around in commands to call up a priest, max heal, and dismiss.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I checked the site I was getting the info from, and they do mention that AI party members don't get calculated in the same way. You may be right that there's a smaller bonus (or none at all?) with AI players regarding exp earned -- haven't hired AI players yet so I can't say for sure.

Just saying that it's not cut-and-dry 1/4 of original EXP, with a full pt you're getting 160/4 = 40% ea, similar to most RPGs to encourage PT'ing. w/ the 100/120/140/160 calculation there's a 15% difference between a 3man and 4man pt, which should be more than made up when you consider time lost fumbling around in commands to call up a priest, max heal, and dismiss.

I can tell you right now but yeah you do lose exp per party member. For maximum efficiency when leveling by yourself, dont use party members in general.

Its how I went up so fast from 33 to 35 this morning. Besides also using the genkidama, but that was included in with the fact that I was soloing getting a lot more exp than using the AI characters. Granted my gear also allows for it though with what im fighting, so that helps.

My guess is people seem to know this which is why folks are constantly asking for leveling parties all the time.

Aeana

Oh, I see what you're saying. That actually does make sense, because I was fighting something that gives 16 exp when I'm solo and I got 8 when I had a party of 3. I forget how much I got when I added my last member. So yeah, there is certainly a bonus there.

Parakeetman

Oh, I see what you're saying. That actually does make sense, because I was fighting something that gives 16 exp when I'm solo and I got 8 when I had a party of 3. I forget how much I got when I added my last member. So yeah, there is certainly a bonus there.

Now Im usually using the AI when its a boss fight or if Im just going after harvesting items from a certain enemy by using 2 thieves which up the chance of getting it with their steal skill.

Aeana

As a priest, I find it really difficult to level efficiently, although last night I had a revelation: I haven't been using priest AI party members, just because I am one. One of the reasons why it takes me so long is because I spend a lot of battles trying to raise my MP back up with my pitiful stick. Battles go much faster when I'm using my spear. It would make sense to just hire another priest. (._. )

Parakeetman

Since you are able to read and type Japanese Id figure when you have time also, to try to join player leveling parties. Seeing as they are constantly searching for priests.

But yeah the whole soloing stuff I did more from the mid 20s. Early on just used a full party and killed literally everything that came across my path lol.

Your kingdom actually has some pretty good leveling sections. Though Id suggest being lv 20 first.

Aeana

I actually haven't seen anyone looking for a priest, but I actually haven't looked into what the game's "looking for group" facilities are beyond marking yourself as looking for a party. How does that all work?

Aeana

It just says there was an error so the game had to stop. Dunno.

Also, man, after looking at AI priests, it's irritating how you can't see enchants or passive skill boosts. There's no way of knowing how much MP absorption a priest has going. This one I got has great +healing magic, but only absorbs 1 MP per attack. Lame.
Still! I'm amazed at how much quicker battles are going now. I really should have thought of doing this before.

extralite

No, because it comes with a registration key that must be associated with your Square Enix account to log in. Once it's used, it cannot be reused.

I see. I saw the key of course but that would be easy to resell too. So unless you use a freemail account to access the SE one (and use it exclusively for the game) and sell those accounts with the game, it wouldn't be possible. Also too much hassle for user and stores alike.

Logging on for the first time, 19% and 9/18 but still over an hour remaining. Is my internet too slow or is that normal? I'm using Overplay from Germany.

Aeana

Just finished the concierge quest! Now I can make use of those genki charges I've been accruing for so long, and also get support gold. Sadly, it says I won't get support gold for 7 more days. (._. ) At least I have enough genki charge to get two genkidama.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I have a question and didn't see an answer in the OP.

Is there a proper single player mode? Like DQ8 and DQ9? (Would I need to play multiplayer online? Or is the whole game playable offline single player?)

Forever

Banned
I think he means that "knock it until you try it" people.

No he was talking about the 2ch Amazon trolls.

Is there a proper single player mode? Like DQ8 and DQ9? (Would I need to play multiplayer online? Or is the whole game playable offline single player?)

There is a single player prologue that you need to beat before going online, and you can continue the story from the prologue in a completely separate campaign but it's not nearly as robust. It's mainly something to do when the servers are down. Most of your time will be spent online, however the entire online game can be played solo (you can hire NPC companions instead of grouping).

Reknoc

It's a MMORPG, the only singleplayer is during the tutorial.

Aeana

It's an MMORPG. It must be played online.
There is an offline tutorial at the start, and a supplemental offline story after that, but the meat of the game is online.

Aeana

Man, with my new party setup and a genkidama (2x exp/gold), I went from freshly level 15 to 16 in 13 minutes. That is sooo much faster than I've been doing, by far.

Aeana

How do you get a genkidama?

You have to do the concierge quest at a capital city inn at level 15, and then you can spend the 元気チャージ (genki charge) you earn while offline to buy 元気玉 (genkidama). One genkidama costs 22 時間 (hours) and lasts for 30 minutes.

Forever

Banned
You have to do the concierge quest at a capital city inn at level 15, and then you can spend the 元気チャージ (genki charge) you earn while offline to buy 元気玉 (genkidama). One genkidama costs 22 時間 (hours) and lasts for 30 minutes.

Ah, so it's like rested exp. Clever.

Top Bottom