• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

Aeana

Am almost certain you are unable to interact with others who are in combat 100% besides cheering.

Cheering just raises tension. Do not believe it heals also.
Well, as I said, I have absolutely been healed by someone other than myself while fighting on many occasions, through some means or another.

muu

Cheering raises tension, and can also randomly add bonuses like healing, increased chance of crits, decrease time to next action, etc.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Cheering raises tension, and can also randomly add bonuses like healing, increased chance of crits, decrease time to next action, etc.

Tension already basically a critical.

Where did you find that information btw? Since currently all the book / web sites Ive seen so far just says it only raises tension. Ive never seen a case where the cheering Ive done has raised HP. Done it over a 100+ times also since got that tag to add to my character.

muu

Just from playing. You should see little notices popup for a split second by your char portrait when boosts like this occur.

Parakeetman

Just from playing. You should see little notices popup for a split second by your char portrait when boosts like this occur.

You sure those are not activated by your own members from spells and such? Since with 100 hours in the game not once have I seen any other effect on myself or others from cheering. Which included one huge cheering mess when my friend and I was fighting the golem for the class change quest.

Forever

Banned
Showed it to people, all I got back was "tl;dr" and "nobody wants to read about your history with the game" and things like that. Shrug.

What, on some other site? It was written in response to a GAF request and everyone here loves it, don't know why you'd cave in to trolls from elsewhere.

john tv

Showed it to people, all I got back was "tl;dr" and "nobody wants to read about your history with the game" and things like that. Shrug.
You can't let idiots bother you like that, seriously. :) I was really looking forward to reading it - would you consider putting it back?

EDIT: I still have it in another window, luckily. But put it back anyway! :)

I was someone that basically asked for the post to be made, and I hadn't gotten around to saying so but I enjoyed the read. I even shared it with my girlfriend who is a DQ fan. Sorry that some people gave you a hard for it.

Thanks to Parakeetman for the detailed impressions as well.

Parakeetman

Will have to finish mine later, got some stuff on todays schedule that needs to be dealt with before can actually go back to being unproductive with the game lol

At least that should give a general basics of the game itself.

For those who want specific points addressed leave it in a post below and will add it to the write up.

terrisus

Aww... I would think that most of us are here because we like to read meaningful things, and not just toss around quick one-liners. And, I know I was definitely interested to see your thoughts on this game, given your interest in the previous Dragon Quest games, to see if it would still retain that feel or if it would just feel like a typical nowadays MMO-clone with a Dragon Quest theme. Glad that the post got quoted at least, and it was, of course, useful and appreciated.

muu

You sure those are not activated by your own members from spells and such? Since with 100 hours in the game not once have I seen any other effect on myself or others from cheering. Which included one huge cheering mess when my friend and I was fighting the golem for the class change quest.

check out some of the dqx wikis and they have partial lists of bonuses that can be gained thru cheering. I didn't have a thief (who's the only job that can cast what's essentially haste) so there's no way anyone in the pt could have done that. Also have gotten 'extra gold pickup' bonuses before as well.

udivision

Aeana's post was kinda partly the reason I've been checking out this thread... didn't have time to read it fully though .expected to come back and finish up but... :/

Coldsnap

Sorta crazy... i asked on page 3 if this was like XI because I just had a suspicion by looking at the SShot. And hearing they re-used some assets really makes me want to play it.

Could anyone take a picture of the South Gustaburg in DQX? I'd really like to see this.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The thing is that although DQ10 is an MMORPG, it’s a bad idea to approach it as something comparable to World of Warcraft, because it just does not stack up.

yeah - this is the attitude i went in with and it's a pretty stark comparison but once i stopped expecting DQ10 to be WoW or, to a lesser extent as there's more surface similarities, FF11 then i started playing it for what it is and started enjoying it.

I'm still level 10 and only just got my rail pass and i'm heading to the terminus now, but at the moment it does feel like MMORPG-lite with an emphasis on accessibility.

I like it - it's the only console game i'm playing at the moment, put it that way! (and i've Persona and Max Anarchy sitting unopened)

Sorta crazy... i asked on page 3 if this was like XI because I just had a suspicion by looking at the SShot. And hearing they re-used some assets really makes me want to play it.

The wife played FFXI from launch until about a few years ago - she watched me play a bit of DQX and she noted a lot of similarities though she also wondered why it looked "awful" - the art isn't bad, but the game isn't really a looker. However, i'd imagine a PC/Wii U version would build on the art style and make it look much more acceptable

Parakeetman

yeah - this is the attitude i went in with and it's a pretty stark comparison but once i stopped expecting DQ10 to be WoW or, to a lesser extent as there's more surface similarities, FF11 then i started playing it for what it is and started enjoying it.

I'm still level 10 and only just got my rail pass and i'm heading to the terminus now, but at the moment it does feel like MMORPG-lite with an emphasis on accessibility.

I like it - it's the only console game i'm playing at the moment, put it that way! (and i've Persona and Max Anarchy sitting unopened)

The wife played FFXI from launch until about a few years ago - she watched me play a bit of DQX and she noted a lot of similarities though she also wondered why it looked "awful" - the art isn't bad, but the game isn't really a looker. However, i'd imagine a PC/Wii U version would build on the art style and make it look much more acceptable

To be fair FFXI didnt exactly look good on the PS2 either. At least the Wii has the component cables which makes it look far better than with the standard AV ones. But if you are only stuck with the AV cables oh dear god. D: Its what I was basically forced to go out and find the component cables since the game on the AV cables I will agree with everyone who says it looks like shit then. Its even worse if you are in a snow covered area such as the ogre starting point as looks like the white is bleeding all over the place when sun hits it.

Could anyone take a picture of the South Gustaburg in DQX? I'd really like to see this.

Id have to say Muu is overreacting a bit with his statement about resuing, but perhaps similar designs I can see that. Reusing? No.

muu

I'll take a SS of where I'm talking about tomorrow. For a second I was expecting to see 3 quadavs sitting by their campfire at the bottom of a hill, next to a couple rock lizards.

Limitations of the Wii is definitely present -- objects that are a bit farther away are immediately scaled down and its animation set to like 10fps, which IMO is the biggest factor in things 'looking ugly.' The engine is definitely a step above FF11 though; once you get up close, there's detail on the mobs, they have lighting effects reflected on them, even some ragdoll physics at work (finish a smaller enemy w/ a crit and watch him get blown over 10 feet).

As far as the WiiU version goes, I'm expecting it to look similar (maybe somewhat worse) to what's on the Live Cam at the community site.

john tv

Solo played a bit this morning, currently Lv 7 warrior, got my Zoomstone not too long ago, feeling ready to jump back into party play. Got some errands to run but hoping to play a bunch this evening JP time if people are around. :)

Aeana

I made a decision to go full support with my skill points, and I know it's going to hold me back in solo play. The AI party is just really slow and inefficient, we do much better with an AI healer and me on the offensive. It'd be nice if there were a way to respec skill points (is there?).

Parakeetman

Is it possible to get AI thieves to steal?
EDIT: Nevermind, he's doing it now. Great.

Yeah there does not seem to be any real pattern with them doing it or not. Kinda makes for a problematic situation when you want the bastards to attack and not attempt steal over and over. Made a big mistake of dragging 2 with me into a boss fight since I didnt want to go back to town then run all the way back. At least we won. 2 NPCs died tho lol raising them was a bit expensive.

I made a decision to go full support with my skill points, and I know it's going to hold me back in solo play. The AI party is just really slow and inefficient, we do much better with an AI healer and me on the offensive. It'd be nice if there were a way to respec skill points (is there?).

If that option does exist have not seen it yet. I kinda think I screwed myself into a hole also. Apparently we only get 100 points per class with the current level cap.

muu

I wouldn't worry too much about skill points; one of the devs responded to the Community site thread regarding skill respec, and he said it'll be implemented in the next big update in 10wks or so. Also confirmed to cost GOLD, not real money.

http://hiroba.dqx.jp/sc/forum/mainthread/747/

In any case here's my best shot of South Gustaberg:

http://i.imgur.com/QQDai.jpg

Quadav camp would be at the bottom of the hill ahead of the party that's to my left. If this doesn't ring a bell...

http://ffxi.logue.be/?cmd=attach&refer=グスタベルグ/南グスタベルグ&openfile=sg1.jpg

Taken from a different spot, but notice that small mtn up ahead? Yeah, you were just looking at it on my screen shot.

The reason it 'looks' different color-wise is because of the lighting engine. Sometimes it rains in the region, at which time it looks a lot closer to Vana'diel's rendition of Gustaberg (said another way -- I think the weather engine in the game is fantastic). There's also minor details that are very similar (if not the same), including the way roads are drawn.

Going to try and see if someone on the FF11 community thread can give me a better shot. Hell, I may still be way off.

Aeana

Huh. This part is interesting:

ただ、スキルを少し修正したい程度なら大きなコストは必要ありませんが、
たくさん修正をしたいのなら、お金は貯めておいてください、とだけ。

So it'll have variable cost based on how much you change your points? I assume that means that it won't be a full refund, but instead let you take points out of skills, and it'll add more every time you take a point out or something.

I've been lurking here, reading impressions, and I really want to play this now. I'm so jelly of you importers. I can only hope the Wii U version does get released here in NA.

Aeana

Does anybody know what exactly 魅力 is good for? By the name, I thought maybe it would make monsters attack the person more. Stick gets an attack called マジステッキ that can raise a target's 魅力, but I've been trying it a lot and I'm not sure if it's really doing much or not.

EDIT: Well, Googling harder has told me that a high 魅力 stat causes a monster to lose a turn in admiration. I wonder how often it'll really do that.

Also, up until now I had been afraid to use まんたん for recovery because I didn't want it to accidentally use some of my items, but I tried it out and it's amazing how quickly it recovers everybody, using my own MP. I am curious, though, about how that command behaves if the player can't use recovery magic. If there's an AI healer in the party, does it have them use their spells? Or does it resort to items right away?

extralite

It doesn’t have macros or really any quick way to trigger abilities - they must be activated through the menu. The game is built to be played with a controller, from your comfy couch. It supports USB keyboards, not only for chatting but also for character control, but it’s just very odd to use the keyboard bindings they’ve set up. It doesn’t have a chat window that’s up on the screen at all times - chat bubbles pop up by a person’s portrait on your screen when they say something, but it’s only brief, and only one message; you have to open up the social window to view your a log of public chat, friend messages, combat log, party chat, etc. Also, there is no general chat or trade chat or things of that nature, so doing large-scale coordination seems like it would be fairly difficult unless it were inter-guild or something like that. In fact, the game is designed such that you could very easily play it without a keyboard, and it even welcomes that fact by giving servers for players who don’t have one, and allowing you to mark yourself as not having one. You can register pre-set lines of text and gestures that can easily be recalled exactly as they are in DQ9, and that seems to be plenty to get by in the game, at least to begin with. The amount of text you can send in one line is also very restrictive. Beyond that, though, the game is not quest-driven like modern MMOs, nor does it have instancing or any of that fancy stuff. I think that if approached the wrong way, it could very easily be viewed as an archaic game, and considering that western audiences often already think that about Dragon Quest, I really do fear that it just will not be accepted in the west at all. I’d love to be proven wrong, though.
I think they'll add some short-cut and macro features to the Wii U version. The touch screen could home many always available menu options on top of the standard stuff.

SE made some adjustments to 8 (and I guess 9 also) to raise appeal in the West and I'm guessing they'll do similar things for 10 as well. With just the right amount of tweaking it could become very successful, especially among non-MMO players.

I think that's the goal with every DQ game, advertise new RPG gameplay styles to people who feel they're too complicated in other games. Make it as accessible as possible. Obviously as MMOs are already popular in the West that should be taken into account by the devs.

Glad you liked the game in the end, btw. :)

Aeana

It really would be very nice if they used the touchscreen in the WiiU version for stuff like that. As a healer, my actual primary annoyance with the UI is how finnicky the cursor memory is. Sometimes it seems to remember my last target, and sometimes it doesn't. I'll have to do some more experimentation to see what makes it change and stuff, but I have mis-targeted heals on several occasions because of it. Also, the fact that you have to choose healing targets from a list on the left side of the screen instead of simply just choosing them via the unit portraits on the right. Mentally linking up the name with the health bar on the side that needs attention takes a second - one that can be the difference between life and death in some cases. I really liked this about FF11's UI - it actually let you target people on the party display with up/down on the dpad. That would be SO good in this game.

And a mechanics annoyance as a healer: if the game has any sort of ability that acts as a taunt, the AI warriors sure never use it. I did notice that "cover" is one of the warrior's abilities, but I've never seen an AI warrior use it, despite having it in their skill list.

Parakeetman

Does anybody know what exactly 魅力 is good for? By the name, I thought maybe it would make monsters attack the person more. Stick gets an attack called マジステッキ that can raise a target's 魅力, but I've been trying it a lot and I'm not sure if it's really doing much or not.

EDIT: Well, Googling harder has told me that a high 魅力 stat causes a monster to lose a turn in admiration. I wonder how often it'll really do that.

Also, up until now I had been afraid to use まんたん for recovery because I didn't want it to accidentally use some of my items, but I tried it out and it's amazing how quickly it recovers everybody, using my own MP. I am curious, though, about how that command behaves if the player can't use recovery magic. If there's an AI healer in the party, does it have them use their spells? Or does it resort to items right away?

Yeah while the 魅力 stat doesnt really proc all that often it does happen at my level with the higher level gear. But yeah its not all that often once again. Have not seen it happen with low level gear.

まんたん only works if you have healing abilities I think? I dont think it uses items? Never tried it with no healer / person who can use healing spells in the party.

Aeana

I just stupidly engaged the skullgon in a cave in the ogre area and got one-shotted. If I release, I lose 606G! :( Hoping someone comes to revive me, but I highly doubt it'll happen.

EDIT: Someone just walked by and tried to use an herb on me. Miss! :(

Alex

I'm sure people think I'm totally mental, but FFXI is like the most gorgeous game ever made for my tastes. Something about the art and the implementation of the weather and lighting and general atmosphere in that game makes for some crazy looking moments despite any short comings.

When everything lined up in that game visually, like a sunrise during a duststorm in Buburimu or something, oh man it looked so good PS2 assets or not.

For all the problems in that game, it had such a tremendously cool world.

Parakeetman

And a mechanics annoyance as a healer: if the game has any sort of ability that acts as a taunt, the AI warriors sure never use it. I did notice that "cover" is one of the warrior's abilities, but I've never seen an AI warrior use it, despite having it in their skill list.

As I mentioned no hate system which means there is no real way to draw attention to yourself hence why there is no taunt skill. The designers had spoke of not wanting to put in a standard hate system either, but I really dont like the whole anger system either since all it does is double the enemy's damage capability during that time. Also seems to be random with how it works.

The cover skill is more meant for a human to use. Since it will basically sacrifice the any further actions till the skill is broken out of. Truthfully I see it as not being all that useful. Since you have to wait for your turn to come up anyways to use it and by then the person in trouble could be dead within that time unfortunately.

Also conning monsters is your friend. The しらべる command in the menu, though its kinda stupid how close you need to be on occasion for it to target correctly...

Aeana

Yeah, I check monsters all the time. It does stink how close you have to be, though.

I just spent the last hour or so exploring places, and I came across this absolutely gorgeous place. I took so many screenshots; I couldn't control myself! It's too bad the screenshots come out looking kinda bad. :(

iZ7r83SK3BrnR.jpg

ihDVG9VX9IO9D.jpg

ii3nqyLFGxBck.jpg

There's another city here, too, and it's also very Japanese-inspired. Sadly, I didn't get any really good shots before it got dark.

ib0FDBCrYVh3uK.jpg

Aeana

Just died for the first time; think I'm done soloing, LOL. Anyone else choose the Weddie race BTW?
I know Revenant Kioku is weddie, but I can't recall if anybody else is.

I'm not sure if there's a level requirement or not for the support member quest, but if you make it to one of the big cities on your continent that have a tavern, you can do that which will make soloing so, so, so much easier. I did it at level 10, myself. You just need 235G minimum (210 to buy the item they ask for, and 25 to ride the train). So you need the train pass too.

john tv

I know Revenant Kioku is weddie, but I can't recall if anybody else is.

I'm not sure if there's a level requirement or not for the support member quest, but if you make it to one of the big cities on your continent that have a tavern, you can do that which will make soloing so, so, so much easier. I did it at level 10, myself. You just need 235G minimum (210 to buy the item they ask for, and 25 to ride the train). So you need the train pass too.
K; I need to level up a bit to beat this first boss but hopefully things will open up from there. Gonna work on that now.

From these screens, I think the game is going to be looking pretty sweet on the WiiU. I also like the impressions that Aenea and others have posted. I really start to hope that the game will come to the West sooner rather than later.

Parakeetman

Just died for the first time; think I'm done soloing, LOL. Anyone else choose the Weddie race BTW?

Friend did and hes playing as a minstrel. Managed to get his way to lv 40 currently, mostly soloing cept for some of the boss fights. He tried to fight the last boss. Died before getting the chance of doing anything as expected lol The cave in the zone one over from the town is a pretty good place where folks level up fighting crabs / starfish and the slimes. Though its suggested being around lv 20 for there.

Aeana

I'll probably need some help even to fight the boss I'm on in the elf story. I just don't see how you can do it with AI since they're too stupid to move.

Parakeetman

I'll probably need some help even to fight the boss I'm on in the elf story. I just don't see how you can do it with AI since they're too stupid to move.

Oh you can, its just a matter of being a higher level so that the NPCs are wearing better gear also. It actually should be a bit easier for you considering you are one of the casters. Where melee soloists need to worry constantly about both casters if both are used. Since once the healer dies, yeah not good lol.

Also lots of small magic bottles are you friend. Buddy of mine used about 20 in one fight once he told me with one of the later bosses.

If you guys are dying quickly then yeah most def not a high enough level to be attempting it. Its what happened to me with the water dragon originally, leveled up and while it was a difficult fight it was possible. 2 NPCs died since I screwed up one of my commands wasting a turn and not having healed one of them which resulted in their death next turn.

Before battle setting their commands to what you want em to do helps a lot also, as am sure you know too with your experience playing so far no real time to mess with that in the middle of a fight.

john tv

I beat the first boss at lv10; got a full set of leather gear, a bronze sword, a cheap shield, and used my first skill points on かえん斬り, and that put me just barely over the edge. Was a tough fight, but managed to pull through.

Parakeetman

I beat the first boss at lv10; got a full set of leather gear, a bronze sword, a cheap shield, and used my first skill points on かえん斬り, and that put me just barely over the edge. Was a tough fight, but managed to pull through.

Excellent another fighter. So you are currently online?

Aeana

I feel like my comment at the tavern is resulting in me getting fewer hires than usual. I'm curious to find exactly how much that affects my hire rate. My old one just used to say "I'm a priest, nice to meetya" but now it mentions that I have the MP recovery after battle skill learned, because I thought people would like to know that since it doesn't tell you in the search. Maybe people preferred the old one!

Aeana

I see that one of the developers has commented on the healtank phenomenon, which is causing a lot of hired priests to not get as much experience when hired as other classes. People use the priests to heal outside of battle, and then don't bring them into battle, which means no experience is gained. It's interesting watching them trying to come up with good solutions. I'm interested to see what they come up with. Actually, the two proposed solutions sound interesting already. Here's a link for those curious.

Top Bottom