• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
My first 75 was a BST (got tired of the pt'ing bullshit and decided I was going to play a solo class @ BRD53 or so), so incidentally I avoided quite a bit of the extraneous grinding w/o thinking -- got to see parts of Vana'diel that most people don't bother to venture to and level with odd creatures in unconventional ways. Enemies scale much better to each other so you could almost feel like you (well, your pet) was getting stronger, too!

but yeah, any mmo it's a drag going through the grinding process. I'll probably just slow down and start finding random shit around the world to kill...

Id say go after things that actually drop stuff worth selling or using. I might hang out in the elf tower since they drop the small magic bottles and give about the same exp as the pink momons, just have more irritating skills though... Have you had any luck with leveling parties at your current level? Im guessing you too are burning through the genkidamas.

Overall though I still think this is one of the fastest games to level up in that uses a system with no quest reward exp.

I'll put it on my 'to do' list.

Stick to the area before that and go after the enemies that look like dolls made out of rope. Since they drop string which can be sold in the bazaar. Granted not for that much, but they are not that hard to beat. Plus for the most part besides the rhino men its fairly safe.

john tv

What race are you, John? I'm a 10 Pupliko Warrior, but I'm confined to my nation, unfortunately.
I'm a Weddie but I can take the train (I think) so I can get around. I'm gonna level a bit and do a few more quests in the hood before totally venturing out tho. We need to get some 4P action going soon... That's by far the best way to play!

Parakeetman

I'm a Weddie but I can take the train (I think) so I can get around. I'm gonna level a bit and do a few more quests in the hood before totally venturing out tho. We need to get some 4P action going soon... That's by far the best way to play!

John the cave filled with crabs, starfish and the hoimi slimes is a pretty good place to solo for quite a long time once you get to the point of being able to take them on. Plus the stuff they drop isnt too bad for selling either. You should try to find that location and test it out. Its a lot safer than the beach anyways.

Starfish seem to be the least irritating of the bunch in the cave. The paralyze jellyfish (hoimi slime) looking things constantly call friends so using that can work to your advantage with getting more exp if you can keep up with prolonged fighting.

john tv

John the cave filled with crabs, starfish and the hoimi slimes is a pretty good place to solo for quite a long time once you get to the point of being able to take them on. Plus the stuff they drop isnt too bad for selling either. You should try to find that location and test it out. Its a lot safer than the beach anyways.

Starfish seem to be the least irritating of the bunch in the cave. The paralyze jellyfish (hoimi slime) looking things constantly call friends so using that can work to your advantage with getting more exp if you can keep up with prolonged fighting.
Cool - where exactly are we talking? Near ジュレットの町?

Parakeetman

Cool - where exactly are we talking? Near ジュレットの町?

Yeah from the town go to ミューズ海岸 next シュレー島下層

Suggest checking the monsters strength first. But if you can fight them its where my friend who was a minstrel worked on leveling up till around 30 I think. It goes faster once you can just solo things without NPC members as you get a lot more exp.

john tv

OK outside that cave is even better - slime knights and jaguar mages give lots of XP. I partied up with a friend and 2 AI charas, and we did genki balls for an hour -- I went from lv. 13 to lv. 18. Good times.

john tv

Now we're racking up crazy EXP from the nearbyトンブレロ pig-in-hat dudes. Prolly gonna make Lv20 before I quit in an hour or so.

D-Pad

I seriously can not wait to play this game. Up there on my hype meter along with Monster Hunter 4. Pleeeease NOA :(

Aeana

OK outside that cave is even better - slime knights and jaguar mages give lots of XP. I partied up with a friend and 2 AI charas, and we did genki balls for an hour -- I went from lv. 13 to lv. 18. Good times.
That's pretty wild!
I wish I could find people to party with.

john tv

I'm not usually on when you guys in Japan are. Plus I'm level 25 right now.
But if we happen to be on at the same time, I'd love to.
Yeah def! Our party is 24, 24, 22, 20 right now - you'd fit fine. :)

EDIT: The game doles out EXP in a way such that higher level peeps aren't penalized for questing with people of slightly lower levels. Only the lower guys get penalized. So it works out well.

Aeana

Yeah def! Our party is 24, 24, 22, 20 right now - you'd fit fine. :)

EDIT: The game doles out EXP in a way such that higher level peeps aren't penalized for questing with people of slightly lower levels. Only the lower guys get penalized. So it works out well.
How much longer will you be on? I won't be able to get on for about 10 minutes at least.

john tv

How much longer will you be on? I won't be able to get on for about 15 minutes at least.
OK looks like we're about to quit when these genki dama run out but def. next time - I'll be playing a lot tomorrow again if you're up for it!

muu

Square Enix will be performing an emergency update to DQX tomorrow.

http://hiroba.dqx.jp/sc/forum/pastthread/3687/

Just about died reading through this thread.

On a different note, it seems the DQ staff is pretty supportive of the power-leveling scheme; you can hire support characters with a highl-evel class of yours, switch to a lower level and you'll end up with a part of 30-30-30-1 or something like that. EXP gained from high-level mobs far outweigh the penalty for level difference (even more so once you gain a few levels), so this is a good way of boosting subjobs.

Parakeetman

Square Enix will be performing an emergency update to DQX tomorrow.

http://hiroba.dqx.jp/sc/forum/pastthread/3687/

Just about died reading through this thread.

On a different note, it seems the DQ staff is pretty supportive of the power-leveling scheme; you can hire support characters with a highl-evel class of yours, switch to a lower level and you'll end up with a part of 30-30-30-1 or something like that. EXP gained from high-level mobs far outweigh the penalty for level difference (even more so once you gain a few levels), so this is a good way of boosting subjobs.

Basically it does work, but its more mind numbing than actually sitting around pushing a button. Since you actually need to pay attention so that you dont get whacked in the middle of the fight. Unless you dont mind wasting the NPCs MP constantly having to rez you.
Im mostly doing that to gain the + stats from the other sub jobs currently, but almost having a hard time just carrying on with it since if you thought leveling normally was bad once again try this. At least now I have the みやぶり skill so dont have to worry about mimics anymore.

Tonight the servers were freaking out on the end. Was interesting, at least the group / friend chat stuff doesnt break any more like it used to. Dear god was that a hassle.

muu

holy fucking Leona, update file is huge for the fix involved.

Oh wait, looks like they fixed other stuff. The staff 'bug' appears to have been fixed as well, with a delay added after the stance is cancelled.

Parakeetman

Argh getting the +50 HP passive would require me to get to almost lv 40 with the monk. Dont really think I want to concentrate on that class all that much. D:

markot

Banned
I think as a sub based game it will be compared to those whether it likes it or not.

I mean, are people going to stay subbed 4 months from now?

And in the west it will definately be compared to those, especially as we are seeing a shift to the f2p model, subs based games are 'luxury' items these days.

So guys, how do you like this game as Dragon Quest fans and probably as MMORPG gamers? I'm really curious since I've heard that the game has a structure such that it resembles a Dragon Quest game more than IX did.

Edit: reading Aeana's post #828 ;)

Hey Aena - if you're having trouble finding someone to party with you could hit my wife up. She's online pretty much whenever she's not sleeping. So pretty much all day when I'm at work. ^^;

john tv

Managed to hit Lv22 today and clear a few quests. Good times.

Aeana, looks like the 3DS app comes out on the 22nd (week from today). The Double Surechigai thing started appearing with today's update to 1.0.2, but I don't think you can do anything w/it until the app is out.

Aeana

I think as a sub based game it will be compared to those whether it likes it or not.

I mean, are people going to stay subbed 4 months from now?

And in the west it will definately be compared to those, especially as we are seeing a shift to the f2p model, subs based games are 'luxury' items these days.
Yes, it will be compared to them if it releases in the west, which is one of the reasons why I would be totally shocked if it left Japan at all. As I mentioned in my post, the game has a totally different paradigm and must be approached differently. Considering that the majority of western gamers don't have any connection to Dragon Quest, they will be looking for a totally different game.

Parakeetman

Man, game is too crowded - can't even get on right now. Crazy. Guess I'll play some offline mode, LOL.

I havent logged in most of the day. Hopefully by tomorrow will have a second genkidama charge. Then will work on getting to lv 43. Since am almost 41 should be able to do 2 levels or close to it with 2 genkidamas.

Issue is finding an area that isnt overly crowded which will waste a lot of time.

Managed to get a total of 5k exp for last night and most of today being offline with getting hired. 3k and 2k. Good stuff! Gold only added up to be 500 or a little less though, but currently Id prefer EXP over that.

muu

At this point I'm not positive about the whole subscription period thing. For people that's playing with friends from outside of the game, it's not too bad -- still needs work, but friend/guild functionality works to a point. General chat is absolutely awful though, and it seems trying to find others looking to complete similar missions as you is an exercise in futility.

I'm not saying there's a problem with the content -- it's very much a Dragon Quest with a bunch of other people playing at the same time. It's just exceedingly difficult to connect with strangers and do something worthwhile, and in the end it's these fragile bonds that encourage players to continue paying to play.

Parakeetman

At this point I'm not positive about the whole subscription period thing. For people that's playing with friends from outside of the game, it's not too bad -- still needs work, but friend/guild functionality works to a point. General chat is absolutely awful though, and it seems trying to find others looking to complete similar missions as you is an exercise in futility.

I'm not saying there's a problem with the content -- it's very much a Dragon Quest with a bunch of other people playing at the same time. It's just exceedingly difficult to connect with strangers and do something worthwhile, and in the end it's these fragile bonds that encourage players to continue paying to play.

Basically didnt you just explain the basis of all online RPGs? lol Besides the bad chat functionality which I do agree with, since it most def has issues. Those these stem from the fact that this was designed mainly as a console MMO. Lets hope feedback will lead to changes though. General chat is a huge mess. Esp with people who constantly spam. Wish blacklisting folks was a bit easier.

With the level you are at Id think you would be able to find folks to party up with. I could see your concern about parties and such if you were a lv 10ish player considering I dont see that many low level folks around anymore. Its mostly turned into a 25 and up thing now.

How are you going about searching for people anyways? Then again seeing how everyone else searches for each other by generally calling the same messages over and over again in chat can see how its a bit of a problem. I think they possibly could resolve this by somehow making some sort of "party board" where folks write a short intro and has info on whos already in the group waiting class / level wise. Lets hope something like that they consider developing. Would seriously help cut down on the insane spam and lag in the town squares

Forever

Banned
Could they conceivably move to a F2P model? The Guild Wars model wouldn't work, obviously, but maybe microtransactions?

Parakeetman

Could they conceivably move to a F2P model? The Guild Wars model wouldn't work, obviously, but maybe microtransactions?

Doubt it and personally I hope they dont. F2P is a model that seriously needs to die in my opinion. But thats for a different conversation.

Parakeetman

I thought they added servers how come you guys still have trouble getting on?

Im not / never have had any trouble getting on. Though am in country. Plus ever since they added the 40 servers Ive still yet to see every single one of them busy. After the holidays are over Id imagine things will be back to normal. Then again seems like John whos in country had issues with logging on this week.

Only time when I encountered problems was back during the 20 server thing and game had gotten stuck on the loading screen. Which apparently was an early bug. I think related to the one that would get stuck or kick you out of the game when it was trying to load anything from the loading screen.

I think the others who had mentioned login problems are those using VPN type of services from overseas outside of Japan.

Apparently doubling the number of servers wasn't enough.

Actually Id say it worked since logging in really does not seem to be a problem. Only real issues that have appeared is just some odd lag here and there, but things like the chat problem with group / private not working & being forced to use general only has been fixed for a while now. Plus dont have those odd crashes to error screen / blackouts requiring a reset like before. People are a lot more spread out now which is why Id imagine, have not seen all 40 servers in crowded status yet.

My other friend hasnt really reported any huge issues bout login and such, though what he has seen is just folks talking about lag in general in certain areas.

Before when things were really over crowded NPCs would have loading issues with the text and it would take a while for it to appear. Huge example would be the Bazaar NPC in the Ogre hub town.

Overall though am surprised / impressed how "smooth" the whole launch went along with what followed after. At least the game was pretty much playable from the start without really game breaking problems. The chat was an irritation, but not something that would prevent people from playing.

muu

How are you going about searching for people anyways? Then again seeing how everyone else searches for each other by generally calling the same messages over and over again in chat can see how its a bit of a problem. I think they possibly could resolve this by somehow making some sort of "party board" where folks write a short intro and has info on whos already in the group waiting class / level wise. Lets hope something like that they consider developing. Would seriously help cut down on the insane spam and lag in the town squares

That is the big problem, pretty much. Search function is extremely limited and only looks at players in close proximity, you have no way of messaging someone that isn't your friend (this is probably a Nintendo thing). Other than in special situations like one-hit Manaburn PTs there isn't a huge incentive to party -- AI support can function almost as well, not enough to be bothered to create a real PT with real people most of the time. It's just too easy to do things yourself and there's too many barriers to group.

They're pretty openly stated they're not going that route. Perception of the model in Japan is pretty bad anyway, what with the gacha prize scheme gaining tons of publicity as a predatory F2P scheme used in Social network games. Financial papers, etc are more than happy right now to make noteworthy opinion of how DQX is supposedly failing (obvious trolling if you knew the implications of a possible 500K subscriber base), and they'll stop at nothing to paint the game as a $1000-investment game wrecking lives of children if the opportunity presents them. It's funny how none of them talk about real issues with kids resorting to prostitution in exchange for rare items in certain MOBAGE/GREE games, but then again they're trying the damndest hardest to keep social gaming the 'next big thing.'

Forever

Banned
They're pretty openly stated they're not going that route. Perception of the model in Japan is pretty bad anyway, what with the gacha prize scheme gaining tons of publicity as a predatory F2P scheme used in Social network games. Financial papers, etc are more than happy right now to make noteworthy opinion of how DQX is supposedly failing (obvious trolling if you knew the implications of a possible 500K subscriber base), and they'll stop at nothing to paint the game as a $1000-investment game wrecking lives of children if the opportunity presents them. It's funny how none of them talk about real issues with kids resorting to prostitution in exchange for rare items in certain MOBAGE/GREE games, but then again they're trying the damndest hardest to keep social gaming the 'next big thing.'

Well I meant for a western release, but I hadn't known about all that other stuff. That sounds fucked up.

Parakeetman

Well I meant for a western release, but I hadn't known about all that other stuff. That sounds fucked up.

Let me take the following quote from this PC gamer article where one of the developer speaks of his view of the F2P model.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/pla...view-when-strategy-worlds-collide-with-moons/

“With free-to-play you have to modify your game design to make sure that it makes sense with the free-to-play economy. And I don’t really want to modify the game design to do that.”

Basically if the game was not designed for F2P then trying to change it up to fit that model would require a lot of work and adding to the overall risk of the project itself. With how the game currently works I cant imagine how a F2P type of model would fit in period without literally redesigning various game mechanics.

Plus if the designers say that they are not going to go that route, well that basically settles it then for the US in regards to the business model for the time being.

------

In regards to the gacha stuff, read this article. Gives a general picture of what went down.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/T120505002978.htm
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nc20120516aa.html
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/TylerYork/20120525/171124/Why_quotKompu_Gachaquot_Was_Banned.php

Forever

Banned
Let me take the following quote from this PC gamer article where one of the developer speaks of his view of the F2P model.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/pla...view-when-strategy-worlds-collide-with-moons/

“With free-to-play you have to modify your game design to make sure that it makes sense with the free-to-play economy. And I don’t really want to modify the game design to do that.”

Basically if the game was not designed for F2P then trying to change it up to fit that model would require a lot of work and adding to the overall risk of the project itself. With how the game currently works I cant imagine how a F2P type of model would fit in period without literally redesigning various game mechanics.

Plus if the designers say that they are not going to go that route, well that basically settles it then for the US in regards to the business model for the time being.
:|

Well, at least FFXIV 2.0 is looking good.

Parakeetman

:|

Well, at least FFXIV 2.0 is looking good.

But the question is does it play good. Since FFXIV looked good at start, but we all know how well it played... Seeing a bunch of pretty pictures really isnt going to change my mind about that title until I start hearing what folks think about it overall once its out.

Eteric Rice

I wonder if the Wii U version will fare much better in terms of using combat and talking to other people?

I mean a touch screen should intuitively make things better, aye?

extralite

I think the others who had mentioned login problems are those using VPN type of services from overseas outside of Japan.

OverPlay dies on me almost once per hour so yes, that's one reason. But today because of obon and server load caused by the two update files, they had three unscheduled emergency maintenance periods (the last from 23h to 0h) and my friend in Japan (who doesn't use a VPN obviously) was kicked three times during loading screens between areas (which stayed on for minutes before she was disconnected). She was on server 36 too (when SE explicitly asked people to use servers 30-40 more), so today really was bad for staying connected.

I didn't get in at all, the update was interrupted two times (after about one hour each) because OverPlay became unstable and luckily I didn't have to start over from the beginning on my third attempt so I managed to finish the update. But then it was past 11pm and the maintenance had kicked in.

Parakeetman

I wonder if the Wii U version will fare much better in terms of using combat and talking to other people?

I mean a touch screen should intuitively make things better, aye?

Just because it uses a touch screen would imagine the game mechanics to change, since you will still have the command menu and all that during combat.

If anything Id see the WiiU screen being used as a better minimap. But asides from that cant imagine what it would really improve on.

Talking with others is easy if you have them in your friends list. But using the general chat is just a bit of a mess due to how much info is going on at once. And its not like for example FFXI or WoW where you have a standard chat window active at all times. You need to go and bring up a separate window that has logs of various messages, one of them being the general chat channel I do believe.

extralite

Just because it uses a touch screen would imagine the game mechanics to change, since you will still have the command menu and all that during combat.

Choosing often used sentences will be a lot faster by tapping instead of hopping down one by one with the d-pad. Whenever there's more than two choices in a menu, touch screen will improve usability considerably. It was already evident in DQIX.

Triggering all the available menus by named touch panels will also be more accessible than with button presses you have to memorize. Even after you memorized them, a panel that reads its function will always be faster to find than one out of a large number of buttons.

The command menu will always be on, the plus menu will have an easy to access panel and so on.

muu

But the question is does it play good. Since FFXIV looked good at start, but we all know how well it played... Seeing a bunch of pretty pictures really isnt going to change my mind about that title until I start hearing what folks think about it overall once its out.

I have to wonder about the people going "looks beautiful. day 1!" We haven't even gotten any gameplay footage of 2.0 yet.

Top Bottom