• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
General rule is, if it's an a sub-15$ indie game or a Sony game, it might be cross buy. Anything else is almost guaranteed not to be.

I've been going hard on this lol

My Elf is level 45 and I've got a Wizard and Fighter in the 20s with a few talismans each. Not really sure about the Wizard, his damage seems alright but having to recharge MP so often makes playing solo a pain in the ass. Fighter is really straight forward but I think he'll start to shine later on as the difficulty ramps up. For now there isn't much reason not be on the offensive 24/7

This might not be obvious, but the casters can recharge MP while walking. I typically do it as I pick up coins and such. Other than that, I invest some points in the skill that makes you recharge MP when hitting with the staff, and do Square x5 -> Up + O loops. Since it staggers enemies, is quite cheap, and you get back more MP than you use.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I had that exact same thing (not being able to click anything during campfire) once, and indeed, it was after the latest patch; this happened right at the start of the cooking sequence, I got 0 score. My character wasn't anywhere like level 99 (more like 70), and in fact I could cook in further campfires, no problem, so that's not it. This was a local multiplayer game and my GF could cook just fine (and even put food on my plate, but I couldn't eat it anyway).

I know they said this was the last patch, but it would really suck if they let bugs and the awful, awful camera in. I wonder what they touched that broke all this stuff, particularly since they made no other change whatsoever to cooking that I know of.

I think I might have figured out the cooking issue. At least, with what happened for me. My Sorceress was on Infernal, but I was going down to Normal for that session. Maybe if you go to a lower difficulty, it sometimes won't let you choose items in the cooking minigame.

I did find another bug, though. There are two persistent sparkling dots near my score, and my score is continuously increasing despite me not doing anything. Since your score is your EXP, I am essentially getting a constant flow of EXP by idling. The two dots are there during certain conversations with people and in shops as well. Switching characters or going to town doesn't change anything... as soon as you go back into the dungeon, the score will continue to climb.

This might not be obvious, but the casters can recharge MP while walking. I typically do it as I pick up coins and such. Other than that, I invest some points in the skill that makes you recharge MP when hitting with the staff, and do Square x5 -> Up + O loops. Since it staggers enemies, is quite cheap, and you get back more MP than you use.

Cool. It's more that nothing is free aside from the basic staff attack everything costs. I find myself having to recharge every 5s if I'm trying to clear out a room. Still early going though. I reckon once I get better gear, the AoEness of the Wizard's moveset will result in some pretty fast room clears. For now though I've decided to concentrate on making my way through Hard using the Elf. I've been noticing glows around items since I started recently. I'm not sure what they mean though. So far I've seen a gold/yellow glow and a blue one. I've seen both have the same amount of affixes so I'm not sure which is better. I'm guessing it's rarity? What order does it go in?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The outlines signify the maximum number of stats an item can have. Yellow is the lowest tier...well, after none.

I think I might have figured out the cooking issue. At least, with what happened for me. My Sorceress was on Infernal, but I was going down to Normal for that session. Maybe if you go to a lower difficulty, it sometimes won't let you choose items in the cooking minigame.

Again, that's not it, because I was playing in the maximum difficulty available for that character (Hard) when it happened. :/

So far I've seen a gold/yellow glow and a blue one. I've seen both have the same amount of affixes so I'm not sure which is better.

That should not happen; in theory the yellow glow is (IIRC) for 3-4 affixes and blue for 5+. In any case the glow is tied to the number of affixes for sure.

That should not happen; in theory the yellow glow is (IIRC) for 3-4 affixes and blue for 5+. In any case the glow is tied to the number of affixes for sure.

You're right. I must have mistaken 4 for 5. Doing the sidequests in Hard mode now and I'm cleaning up hard with the Elf. You'd think flipping in the air followed by charged arrow shot would get boring but nope. Pretty crazy how fast Elf melts boss' health bars. I thought Amazon tore shit up.

btw, is anyone still playing? My psn I'd is toasty_T

isual

looking back at the endings, I find that the wizard's has to be the most morose and melancholic. every one else's seems ok.

Good thing I started playing this after the last patch. Got all the classes that I hand't already through normal in about an hour each. If I had to rank the classes on the time I spent with them from most to least enjoyable I'd go

Amazon > Elf > Fighter > Wizard > Sorceress > Dwarf

Nothing really competes with the satisfaction of going beast mode with the Amazon, closest thing is precisely firing off arrows and seeing big ass numbers. Fighter appeals to me in a weird way, I like his fairly traditional style. With the two mages, I don't think I like that I can't use my spells willy nilly. If all the uses refreshed after each dungeon that'd probably be cool but having to manage what I feel is what makes them who they are is kind of lame. It's not like Amazon/Fighter/Dwarf lose access to their weapons after their power attacks and the damage is almost comparable. With Dwarf, I hate Dwarf. The only move that I liked of his was the belly flop other than frog splashing things from across the screen the hour I played of him was more than enough.

Not sure who I wanna do Infernal with yet, leaning to Amazon first. I checked out the Labyrinth of Chaos with the Amazon and got up to level 6 (I was level 50 or so). I think I spent about half a million gold reviving on that last Red Dragon fight lmao

isual

oh wow. was playing on ultimate, got about 14mil score, then my ps3 shut down all of a sudden.

I was playing multiplayer. dafuq just happened ?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Again, that's not it, because I was playing in the maximum difficulty available for that character (Hard) when it happened. :/

Hmm, I dunno then. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

I'm having a really tough time getting the Lethal Strike trophy. I never have enough +Damage to Objects items to do the common trick online. Anyone have any advice?

maouvin

Did all elf players swap for fighters? My online groups this week didn't have a single elf, and never less than two fighters.

Not that I'm really complaining.

Grats, Isual!

But they do. As long as you keep enough bags to use one per dungeon, anyway. Which you should!

True. I just started getting into making actually. Up until now I was using one or two until everything broke which was like 6 dungeons tops lol. Got a nifty Dragon pack sorted with over 50% damage/damage reduction. Still can't take Infernal Ancient Dragon though. Mostly because of those stupid skeletons and my gear is about 10 levels below me. Speaking of exp, my levels exploded up since I hit Infernal. Went from 62 all the way to 81 in about 2 full circuits. That all stopped now though, it's like 2m exp per level :(

isual

ok. since that unexpected shutdown of my ps3 where I lost 14mil score, I somehow redoubled my efforts and did a dungeon run of 18mil.

levelled up from 103 to 110. damn. next level requires 28mil.

dafuq ?

Reach level 255?
Beat the ancient dragon on ultimate?
Find out how many floors are on the Tower of Mirages?
Endlessly search for the ultimate loot?

Congrats, btw :)

Grats, Isual!

thanks guys. I guess only 2 people care about my gaming achievements alol.

took about 55 hours and a few minutes to get it.

Infernal down. Couldn't do the dragon in 4m, gonna have to try it again after I reach 99.

Nice work on the plat isual! Same amount of time and I've barely done shit lol. Maybe if I focused on one character...

Quixzlizx

My stumbling block for the plat is beating the game with every character. I'm pretty sure I have every other trophy, but I just want to fill everything full of arrows all the time. I guess the new patch will make that part easier, though.

55 hours. Damn. I'm 160h in and my trophy listing for DC is at 71%.

Will try to plat it this year.

To make everyone feel better, I'm at nearly 180 hours and I don't think I have even 50% of the trophies. Although ironically:

My stumbling block for the plat is beating the game with every character. I'm pretty sure I have every other trophy, but I just want to fill everything full of arrows all the time. I guess the new patch will make that part easier, though.

This was one of the first trophies I got, since each time I see some character lagging behind I feel compelled to play it. Thanks to it, I'm close to reaching Infernal with all six of them (three down, three nearly there). Yay alt-holism!

maouvin

Team Hometown, rejoice!

ibcIzB8WzkrnZr.jpg

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-004316&page=top

Cheaper than the elf one. I really liked it, but coming a month after the Ryuko (KLK) figure is just too much for my wallet.

Ohnonono

When playing offline is it better to turn off all the AI companions? They do seem to help out some but sometimes they make it chaotic especially when I am trying to learn my own characters capabilities. Does the AI raise enemy health levels? I am playing Dwarf, Amazon, and Bow Lady for now and they all seem to fair pretty well. Do you get more XP when you do it all solo?

Thanks for the answers. This is a pretty amazing game (especially on dat OLED!)

Yeah, turn them off. The game compensates for them anyway, making everything more durable and such, so it's not like you get any advantage by having them on, and it's much more enjoyable when you actually know what's happening onscreen. :D

Skyzard

Banned
Team Hometown, rejoice!

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-004316&page=top

Cheaper than the elf one. I really liked it, but coming a month after the Ryuko (KLK) figure is just too much for my wallet.

I'm not the biggest fan of her in the game due to her huge pointy legs :p but I can't imagine a statue turning out better for her!

Also just completed this on normal with the Sorceress finally, still haven't had tried online yet but really enjoying hard mode. Will have a few more goes, sort my bags and items out and jump in I think, hopefully will still be able to find some games.

I figure I'd start with the Soldier guy next, I should just do the tutorial for him and skip to level 15? Miss out on anything? (Lovely they added that).

Btw, anyone even tried the colosseum?

maouvin

I figure I'd start with the Soldier guy next, I should just do the tutorial for him and skip to level 15? Miss out on anything? (Lovely they added that).

Btw, anyone even tried the colosseum?

I don't think the fighter's tutorial have anything relevant you wouldn't know by playing with other characters, so it'd be safe to skip.

I had a few matches on the colosseum (always vs the same player) a few months ago. I only had a fighter by then, and he only had an elf. It was interesting, but with max reflex missile, max auto-block and max shield tactics the elf had to try really hard to harm the fighter, and with max evade I could keep with her dodges and get her with cyclone masher. But that's it.

bremon

Just started this (finally) last night. I chose a fighter and my roommate chose the Dwarf for our normal play through. Really liking the art style so far, only about an hour and a half in. Can't wait until it opens up for co-op w friends. We used to get a lot of hours out of games like Gauntlet, so this seems like a good fit.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't think the fighter's tutorial have anything relevant you wouldn't know by playing with other characters, so it'd be safe to skip.

I had a few matches on the colosseum (always vs the same player) a few months ago. I only had a fighter by then, and he only had an elf. It was interesting, but with max reflex missile, max auto-block and max shield tactics the elf had to try really hard to harm the fighter, and with max evade I could keep with her dodges and get her with cyclone masher. But that's it.

Thanks for the information - about the skipping as well, any point in doing the first 15 levels with a new character? It has been a long time since I played...I'm guessing it's safe considering they added the option to skip - it's mostly the same story stuff if I repeat those levels? Thanks again.

maouvin

Thanks for the information - about the skipping as well, any point in doing the first 15 levels with a new character? It has been a long time since I played...I'm guessing it's safe considering they added the option to skip - it's mostly the same story stuff if I repeat those levels? Thanks again.

Aye - exactly the same story for each of them. I see no reason to not skip.
Don't forget you can skip quests you completed with another character. iirc, by skipping you get the skill points, but no money/xp.

Skyzard

Banned
Aye - exactly the same story for each of them. I see no reason to not skip.
Don't forget you can skip quests you completed with another character. iirc, by skipping you get the skill points, but no money/xp.

Aha awesome, perfect. Will jump into the rest of the characters.

I hear all the elf and dwarf fans but think I should put some time in with the fighter after playing a bit lazy with the Sorceress, not that she wasn't entertaining.

Having more fun in hard mode and especially when limiting how many AI players can join, helps to see what's going on and I actually have to do stuff! Thank you again.

swnny

As a big fan of both Odin Sphere and Muramasa, I'm more then sure that Dragon's Crown will be one of my favorites on the Vita. But it's really expensive in here, and I'm still on the fence about buying it now or wait for a discount.
Question is, how active is the online community? Like tons of people in the whole level range, or everyone are high level now and it will be hard for a newcomer to jump in online play?

Labadal

One of my most anticipated games in years and I started playing this today. The reason is that I wanted to play with my brother and todsy we both had lots of free time.

Playing as the Amazon has proven to be the right choice for me. I'm flying all over the screen and after some attacks, she's like Asafa Powell.

Brother is playing Elf. I honestly think her moveset looks boring even if she seems to be doing nice damage

Spent over two hours playing and we were commenting on the backgrounds every time we entered a new level.

Orlov

Hi guys, I need help. I'm LV 65 Fighter, and I'm strugling against Ancient Dragon on hard mode.

I have 66 unspent skill points and these skills.

Fighter skills

Cyclon Masher 5/5
Shockwave 1/5
Tempest 4/10
Reflex Guard 4/5

Common skills

Wealth to Health 3/5
Momey is Power 1/5
Vitality Boost 6/10
Nutritionist 2/5
Evasion 3/3

Where should I put them?

I'm playing through this for the first time with two players and am really enjoying it. Just have a quick question- we want to play with just the two of us, maybe 3 eventually, without any AI partners, and I'm not sure what we should do with the bones we've collected?
Are there any unique ones we should keep or anything, or is it worth just burying them to see if we get a decent item or whatever from them?

I'm playing through this for the first time with two players and am really enjoying it. Just have a quick question- we want to play with just the two of us, maybe 3 eventually, without any AI partners, and I'm not sure what we should do with the bones we've collected?
Are there any unique ones we should keep or anything, or is it worth just burying them to see if we get a decent item or whatever from them?

Bury them all. I bury all bones I come across, except for players that I've played with, which I resurrect. Nothing else that can be done with them.

Orlov

Just burry them, it doesn't cost anything. That way you get free items (though they're nothing spectacular).

Please help with this damned dragon. I was realy close, but AI is so freaking stupid. They simply die before second dragon fly through, and I cant kill him alone.

I always get behind walls and throw back green stars or whatever those things are, but its no enough.

Thus fur I got best result with Amazon LV 65, Sorceress LV 64 and Dwarf LV 64.

Should I change team, and what am I doing wrong?

Just burry them, it doesn't cost anything. That way you get free items (though they're nothing spectacular).

Please help with this damned dragon. I was realy close, but AI is so freaking stupid. They simply die before second dragon fly through, and I cant kill him alone.

I always get behind walls and throw back green stars or whatever those things are, but its no enough.

Thus fur I got best result with Amazon LV 65, Sorceress LV 64 and Dwarf LV 64.

Should I change team, and what am I doing wrong?
Big tip: ditch the AI. They are food for him, nothing more.

Bring a strength potion and pop it once he finishes his second flight.

Orlov

Big tip: ditch the AI. They are food for him, nothing more.

Bring a strength potion and pop it once he finishes his second flight.

Thanks for the tip. I got it on thr 9th try solo. Arround 6 times I was this close.

2014-01-26-193250.jpg

And this was my best with the team.

2014-01-26-180133.jpg

This will be hell for me on infernal.

edit: OLED does wonders for this game, I realize it every time i look at screenshots on my PC.

swnny

Just got the game! As I did try it for only couple minutes, I can't wait to play it tonight!
From my understanding, I have to complete a great deal of the story to unlock the coop mode, right?
Good thing is, that I have ton's of experience from Odin Sphere and Muramasa, that I feel right at home here... and it looks, feels and plays incredible well on the vita! So hyped! ^^

Haven't played for a few days... got stuck at Infernal Dragon at 89 (elf), but I might follow Karst's advice and bring a buff potion or two, I'm swimming in them from all the burials.

Just got the game! As I did try it for only couple minutes, I can't wait to play it tonight!
From my understanding, I have to complete a great deal of the story to unlock the coop mode, right?
Good thing is, that I have ton's of experience from Odin Sphere and Muramasa, that I feel right at home here... and it looks, feels and plays incredible well on the vita! So hyped! ^^

Man are you in for a ride. :)

Yeah, you have to clear the path A of all nine dungeons before unlocking co-op, but the game really opens up after that (you unlock all B paths/bosses, as well as chain runs and the camp/cooking minigame). However, for the it's the harder difficulties where it's at, particularly Infernal (haven't unlocked Ultimate yet), so assuming you keep playing, that's like 1/6 of the game or less. What's more, once you get to that point with any character, you can start any other class and go straight to that point (leveling to 15 instantly), so you only have to do it once (this was in a recent patch, so most of us actually did all that several times already).

swnny

Sounds great!
I have good amount of free time till the middle of Febuary, so now where I'll spend the most of it. ^^
My PSN is swnnyh in case someone have a low level char for some runs later down the road. :)

Thanks for the tip. I got it on thr 9th try solo. Arround 6 times I was this close.

2014-01-26-193250.jpg

And this was my best with the team.

2014-01-26-180133.jpg

This will be hell for me on infernal.

edit: OLED does wonders for this game, I realize it every time i look at screenshots on my PC.
Grats! Some classes have it easier than others. The Dwarf was the easiest, and I have every class on Infernal.

Top Bottom