• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

maouvin

Because of the way translated strings work as opposed to numbers (typically numbers, particularly ones that can vary in a wide range, are stored as variables and not translated, and rather replaced on the strings that are themselves translated), this seems highly unlikely. Also, I believe monsters in the ToM in Infernal (not Ultimate) do show levels from 100 to 255.

They do indeed, completely forgot about LoC! Welp.

After 500 floors?? Yeah I'm never going to progress that far, floor 100 is already kicking my ass.
That is the point!

Vanillaware games always have a final insane difficulty. In Odin Sphere and Muramasa, you were locked in at 1 HP the entire game!

Is floor 100 harder than the Ultimate stages? I beat one of those at level 102, but it was rather time consuming.

Remember that Ultimate reverses the usual order in that you're supposed to level up in ToM before trying the nine "normal" stages, rather than the other way around. In fact the nine stages are actually meant for characters that are level 255.

This is an area where I think VanillaWare made things obtuse for no real reason. Was it that hard to make the visible levels of enemies in ToM the actual level you're supposed to have to beat them (i.e. 99 onwards) rather than 255? I can understand why they eventually labeled them 99-255 for Infernal LoC to give a sense of progression, but still...
I like it that they switched it up.

On another note, how far is everyone in here? I am at level 12 or so of the new dungeon. I co-opped earlier. The lag was so bad! I would rather plow through with folks from here sometime. I never listed my PSN at release because I wanted to avoid all the one-monthers.

We should try to get GAF runs going. I play a Sorceress, and my wife is an Amazon. My PSN is Karsticles if any long-term players want to add me. I can't say I have time to play frequently, but I love to play and know my role!

maomaoIYP

That is the point!

Vanillaware games always have a final insane difficulty. In Odin Sphere and Muramasa, you were locked in at 1 HP the entire game!

Is floor 100 harder than the Ultimate stages? I beat one of those at level 102, but it was rather time consuming.

For floors 1-99 on ultimate I typically take 10 minutes per floor. 15 minutes if it's a demon king stage. No deaths, no continues. I'm lvl 127 now.
I'm struggling with floor 100+, dying easily, enemies have a lot more health.

edit: You're talking about the regular stages on ultimate I suppose? I can't beat those solo.

Double post, but I also think my Sorceress might be getting another build change. If the new dungeon is any indication, fights are going to be lasting a lot longer as the game continues on. Burst damage is becoming of marginal use. Rock Press only takes elites down by half where I am, so it might be doing even worse 100 levels more in. I dropped Petrification for Thunderhead, and now it looks like I might go back. Ice Prison will become more useful as time goes on as well, but it would be in competition with Petrification, since my other spells are all so useful.

Anyway, what I really noticed is that Mental Absorb is becoming more questionable. Right now, it is still justified, because I can pop Blizzard on a boss with adds to get full MP in a flash. But as enemy health increases, I might recieve more diminished returns. That is a lot of points freed up!

Lightning stun is becoming more useful, as well.

Also, I wonder this: do any other Sorcs have skeletons? Have you noticed if they have a chance to stun enemies? I want to know if this is due to me having a lightning staff, or if it is a general buff. I wonder if my gear stats transfer over to them at all. I would stack damage res for them if it does.

On another note, how far is everyone in here? I am at level 12 or so of the new dungeon.

I'm quite far behind, I haven't even beat Infernal yet. My highest level character is 70 something. Part of this is alt-itis, although this also increases the life of the game immensely for me. I think it's the right choice as I find it hard to go back to Normal now, used to Hard and Infernal (fortunately all six of my chars have beaten Normal).

I also find it hard to put together enough time to do long dungeon chains (which is where the best exp is, as we know), so I eventually end up quitting to town with like 7 lives. :p

I co-opped earlier. The lag was so bad! I would rather plow through with folks from here sometime. I never listed my PSN at release because I wanted to avoid all the one-monthers.

Pretty much my rationale as well, don't really want to clutter my PSN with lots of people I don't really know and will probably not play the game after a few weeks. Also, since I'm Euro, I'm probably not a good pick to play with anyway due to lag. :)

maomaoIYP

Pretty much my rationale as well, don't really want to clutter my PSN with lots of people I don't really know and will probably not play the game after a few weeks. Also, since I'm Euro, I'm probably not a good pick to play with anyway due to lag. :)

Same. I'm in Asia, or I would have added you guys.

maouvin

On another note, how far is everyone in here? I am at level 12 or so of the new dungeon. I co-opped earlier. The lag was so bad! I would rather plow through with folks from here sometime. I never listed my PSN at release because I wanted to avoid all the one-monthers.

We should try to get GAF runs going. I play a Sorceress, and my wife is an Amazon. My PSN is Karsticles if any long-term players want to add me. I can't say I have time to play frequently, but I love to play and know my role!

I have a 108 sorc on floor 18 and a 101 zon on 15. Have a 99 fighter too, but didn't use him on ultimate yet.

I'll add you later (psn=gaf). I'm in Brazil, so the lag should be much less of a concern than the time zone difference, ha.

Double post, but I also think my Sorceress might be getting another build change. If the new dungeon is any indication, fights are going to be lasting a lot longer as the game continues on. Burst damage is becoming of marginal use. Rock Press only takes elites down by half where I am, so it might be doing even worse 100 levels more in. I dropped Petrification for Thunderhead, and now it looks like I might go back. Ice Prison will become more useful as time goes on as well, but it would be in competition with Petrification, since my other spells are all so useful.

Anyway, what I really noticed is that Mental Absorb is becoming more questionable. Right now, it is still justified, because I can pop Blizzard on a boss with adds to get full MP in a flash. But as enemy health increases, I might recieve more diminished returns. That is a lot of points freed up!

Lightning stun is becoming more useful, as well.

Also, I wonder this: do any other Sorcs have skeletons? Have you noticed if they have a chance to stun enemies? I want to know if this is due to me having a lightning staff, or if it is a general buff. I wonder if my gear stats transfer over to them at all. I would stack damage res for them if it does.

I think of rock press as a full-screen stun that gives some damage where it lands, so it still works for me. Then again, I just began using lightning staffs more often, so I may swap it eventually (probably for petrification).

edit: And I've seen my skeletons stunning things when using a lightning rod too. Never noticed them freezing or igniting with the other elements equipped, tho.

Also, since I'm Euro, I'm probably not a good pick to play with anyway due to lag. :)

Same. I'm in Asia, or I would have added you guys.

But playing with a full group you'd be too busy figuring out where's your character to notice the lag! :p

Bombless

Amazon is finally 99. Bring on da phat lewt! NfernoTheFirst on PSN. I'm in the EU but we can always try to group up if I am online, it's always more fun with people!

OmegaDL50

Sorry for being late to the party, I finally picked up this game.

You know what they say, better late then never.

I am just waiting for my package to arrive since I ordered it from Amazon. I usually get an Amazon gift card for Christmas, so I was holding onto it deciding what game to pick out.

The choice was either Dragon's Crown, Disgaea D2, or Super Mario 3D World. I've decided to get Dragon's Crown.

I love games like Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, River City Ransom, and of course the Dungeons and Dragons beat'em ups released in Arcades.

So I'm looking forward to playing this game once my package arrives.

Sorry for being late to the party, I finally picked up this game.

You know what they say, better late then never.

I am just waiting for my package to arrive since I ordered it from Amazon. I usually get an Amazon gift card for Christmas, so I was holding onto it deciding what game to pick out.

The choice was either Dragon's Crown, Disgaea D2, or Super Mario 3D World. I've decided to get Dragon's Crown.

I love games like Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, River City Ransom, and of course the Dungeons and Dragons beat'em ups released in Arcades.

So I'm looking forward to playing this game once my package arrives.
Enjoy and welcome.

Is it just in Ultimate that your attacks barely hit the peasant girl? I miss her matrix-style dodging.
Wat.

Perhaps he's not been gaming for that long? I also tend to assume everyone's been into this hobby ever since they were children (early 80s in my case), but some people come into it later on. :)
Up to him to clarify.

Milennia

Hey guys, i stopped playing after hitting max hard mode (havent bothered witht he LoC yet), and main an elf.

Its been a while and i complatley forgot how to play/build the character :/

My question is just that.. How do i build/play the elf properly as well as what are the best stat choices? Thanks for your help, i just drew a massive blank on this.

maomaoIYP

Hey guys, i stopped playing agter hitting max hard mode (havent bothered witht he LoC yet), and main an elf.

My question is just that.. How do i build/play the elf properly as well as what are the best stat choices? Thanks for your help, i just drew a massive blank on this.
Dex & Luc, end your combos with a bow shot, preferably one that causes the arrow to end up hitting the ground.

What level is a good point to try the tower?

I did it at 99 after clearing the LoC. I had 3 bags of optimized gear. I don't think you REALLY need optimized gear, but you should at least have a strategy for endurance fights, which I had from clearing LoC solo.

Hey guys, i stopped playing agter hitting max hard mode (havent bothered witht he LoC yet), and main an elf.

What kind of elf?

What level is a good point to try the tower?
My wife did fine at level 89.

Milennia

What kind of elf?

My wife did fine at level 89.
Im not sure tbh, thats my question. I guess ranged?

Dex & Luc, end your combos with a bow shot, preferably one that causes the arrow to end up hitting the ground.

I did it at 99 after clearing the LoC. I had 3 bags of optimized gear. I don't think you REALLY need optimized gear, but you should at least have a strategy for endurance fights, which I had from clearing LoC solo.

What would be considered a combo? I used to just rain arrows/salamander on bosses, yet when i ran out i had no clue what the proper priority would be for normal play.

The game is pretty free. Most Elves focus on some combination of elemental lore, items like daggers, arrows, and kicking. It is all personal preference.

maomaoIYP

Im not sure tbh, thats my question. I guess ranged?

What would be considered a combo? I used to just rain arrows/salamander on bosses, yet when i ran out i had no clue what the proper priority would be for normal play.
Elves' regular kick combo puts them into the air, so for example I like to dash in and start with a dash attack or slide, then cancel that into regular kicks. Once the kick combo puts me into the air I fire a charged shot downwards, then air evasion into another air charged shot. For bosses I just stick to the up + O charged shot combined with the fire/poison skills. I don't use daggers or elemental lore but some people swear by those.

Milennia

Elves' regular kick combo puts them into the air, so for example I like to dash in and start with a dash attack or slide, then cancel that into regular kicks. Once the kick combo puts me into the air I fire a charged shot downwards, then air evasion into another air charged shot. For bosses I just stick to the up + O charged shot combined with the fire/poison skills. I don't use daggers or elemental lore but some people swear by those.

The game is pretty free. Most Elves focus on some combination of elemental lore, items like daggers, arrows, and kicking. It is all personal preference.

Thanks, i think ive got the general deal down again.

Adding to the charged shot -> evade -> charged shot, the elf's regular air attack (Square) also resets the "charge status" of your arrows. Better yet, dodging resets your regular air attack. What this means is that you can double jump -> charged shot -> regular air attack -> interrupt into charged shot -> dodge -> charged shot -> regular air attack -> interrupt into charged shot. That's with only ONE dodge; each additional dodge you have adds another two charged shots. Since you can use the air attacks and dodges to reposition yourself, this is downright devastating against enemies that have no anti-air capabilities.

Quixzlizx

Adding to the charged shot -> evade -> charged shot, the elf's regular air attack (Square) also resets the "charge status" of your arrows. Better yet, dodging resets your regular air attack. What this means is that you can double jump -> charged shot -> regular air attack -> interrupt into charged shot -> dodge -> charged shot -> regular air attack -> interrupt into charged shot. That's with only ONE dodge; each additional dodge you have adds another two charged shots. Since you can use the air attacks and dodges to reposition yourself, this is downright devastating against enemies that have no anti-air capabilities.

Unless they've changed things in a patch, I thought you could only shoot 5 arrows in the air regardless of how many evades you've used up?

Unless they've changed things in a patch, I thought you could only shoot 5 arrows in the air regardless of how many evades you've used up?

Interesting, I didn't know that (not so much 5 arrows as 5 salvos, i.e. 5 charged shots max). I guess I never noticed because by that point most stuff is either dead or out of range. Thanks for the heads up!

Got a bit distracted and decided to finish normal today. Holy shit at the Ancient Dragon!

Best I could do was 25%. When am I supposed to hit this thing? Doing baby damage with deadly revolution and the double jump smash attack. Is there any part of it I can got from the ground? I've got no way to work up a berserk.

It goes without saying but God damn it's huge!

Got a bit distracted and decided to finish normal today. Holy shit at the Ancient Dragon!

Best I could do was 25%. When am I supposed to hit this thing? Doing baby damage with deadly revolution and the double jump smash attack. Is there any part of it I can got from the ground? I've got no way to work up a berserk.

It goes without saying but God damn it's huge!
You can just hit him with normal attacks on the ground. That is preferred. Kill the spells he summons.

You can just hit him with normal attacks on the ground. That is preferred. Kill the spells he summons.

Thanks. The body kept going from invulnerable to hittable even when I realised I could hit it, must have been what led me to believe I could only hit the head. Anyway, went Hulkamania on the dragon with War Paint. Just melted the health bar lol.

Gonna try out Elf for a bit before I get into hard mode.

Thanks. The body kept going from invulnerable to hittable even when I realised I could hit it, must have been what led me to believe I could only hit the head. Anyway, went Hulkamania on the dragon with War Paint. Just melted the health bar lol.

Gonna try out Elf for a bit before I get into hard mode.

To add to that, it's not immediately obvious, but when he flies into the background (right after the screen-wide breath attack), you can hit the tiny green specks he casts at the side walls. This has two effects, 1) the side walls stay up longer, and 2) you reflect them at him for damage.

I just chained the nine path B's solo with my dwarf, which is quite cool as he was only level 49 (he gained eight levels straight from the run). Surprisingly I was able to kill all nine B bosses before any of them ran away, even though all of them were higher level than me (some like the red dragon by a good 11 levels). The dwarf's DPS may not be as high as the amazon's, but it's up there.

Funnily, I did all that with just three bags, so by the end I had quite a lot of broken items. :D

maomaoIYP

Going for the platinum. Any sorcerres tip. Magic users are so different.

How far have you gotten with sorceress?
Levitation is both an offensive and defensive (her best defensive option in fact) skill.
Use each boss' elemental weakness to decide on which staff to use for each path.
Stay far away and blast stuff with O (hold) attacks.
Protection is your best friend for boss fights.

isual

hmmm. now that you can freshly start with level 15 characters, it shouldn't be too hard of a grind to level up and get the trophy for all the classes. eh

Speaking of jumping to level 15, I started an Elf and I'm dying a fair bit. Almost never died with Amazon. I'm not sure if it's me shifting the blame but it seems like the Elf comes into her own at higher levels once a lot of her skills are unlocked or is it that she's more of a team player? I've been playing solo so far

Speaking of jumping to level 15, I started an Elf and I'm dying a fair bit. Almost never died with Amazon. I'm not sure if it's me shifting the blame but it seems like the Elf comes into her own at higher levels once a lot of her skills are unlocked or is it that she's more of a team player? I've been playing solo so far

I'm on Infernal with the Elf, solo play 80% of the time. The thing with her is that it plays VERY differently to all other characters. This means you have to change your mindset while playing as her. I dodge a lot with all characters, but with the elf you really want to go batshit crazy with dodges. Like, more than 50% of all the actions I do are dodges.

One of the things is that, although it might seem obvious, you REALLY want to keep your distance from enemies. All other characters including the magic users (up + O) have options for dealing with enemies at close range, but the elf really doesn't (dagger is nice DPS but tends not to stagger/knock down enemies). Elf is typically safest in the air, abusing charged downward shots (via the dodge/attack pattern described above). For slower enemies, you want to line up the enemies (by dodging left and right) then use the ground charged horizontal shot.

Also, once you get the skill that shoots several arrows with your grounded charged upwards shot, it affects your dash shot as well (shoots backwards), which coupled with Salamander Oil is absolutely crazy DPS (at the expense of depleting your arrows quickly).

I personally rarely use the grounded upward charged shot. For the arrow cost, I find that horizontal charged shots or well-aimed aerial shots are much better, and as mentioned above, for abusing oil or venom the dash shot comes out much quicker. The horizontal aerial charged shot is typically used to clear a lined-up swarm of fliers, for which you need some expertise lining them up, lining yourself up with their shadows (depth plane) and shooting the arrow at the correct height (which varies from enemy to enemy; bats are better hit with a grounded shot).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Casters and elf play a heck of a lot differently than the melee characters. I spend most of my fights airborne to avoid being hit and use charged attacks as sorceress and elf, whereas I'd just do whatever as dwarf when starting out.

Casters and elf play a heck of a lot differently than the melee characters. I spend most of my fights airborne to avoid being hit and use charged attacks as sorceress and elf, whereas I'd just do whatever as dwarf when starting out.

Yah, Dwarf is easymode, which I guess accounts for my 9 Hard Path B run above. More so in Normal mode, where elites are all but non-existent.
Elf plays quite differently from the casters as well. She doesn't have access to on-demand sustained high DPS, and no easy staggers, particularly close-up, but she makes up for it for its awesome, free dodge with virtually no recovery. As a result she plays even more cautiously than them.

That's some serious stuff. Thanks for the thorough response

Big departure from going Juggernaut on evening with Amazon

My pleasure! Amazon is another one of my favorites, but yeah, going from the insane, sustained DPS and parries of the Amazon to the Elf is quite a huge change.

entremet

How far have you gotten with sorceress?
Levitation is both an offensive and defensive (her best defensive option in fact) skill.
Use each boss' elemental weakness to decide on which staff to use for each path.
Stay far away and blast stuff with O (hold) attacks.
Protection is your best friend for boss fights.
I just started. Level 2

Quixzlizx

Yah, Dwarf is easymode, which I guess accounts for my 9 Hard Path B run above. More so in Normal mode, where elites are all but non-existent.
Elf plays quite differently from the casters as well. She doesn't have access to on-demand sustained high DPS, and no easy staggers, particularly close-up, but she makes up for it for its awesome, free dodge with virtually no recovery. As a result she plays even more cautiously than them.

My pleasure! Amazon is another one of my favorites, but yeah, going from the insane, sustained DPS and parries of the Amazon to the Elf is quite a huge change.

My problem with starting out with an Elf is that the other dodges all seem sluggish and terrible in comparison. It's like I'm dodging in knee-deep mud.

My problem with starting out with an Elf is that the other dodges all seem sluggish and terrible in comparison. It's like I'm dodging in knee-deep mud.

Yeah, she has the best dodge. To compensate for it, though, all other classes except the Elf have additional defensive capabilities; Block, Parry, Pump Up for the melee classes, and the casters can hold Evade to turn invulnerable for a few seconds. Also, additional dodges help a lot, particularly to classes with a lot of post-dodge recovery like the Fighter.

Quixzlizx

Yeah, she has the best dodge. To compensate for it, though, all other classes except the Elf have additional defensive capabilities; Block, Parry, Pump Up for the melee classes, and the casters can hold Evade to turn invulnerable for a few seconds. Also, additional dodges help a lot, particularly to classes with a lot of post-dodge recovery like the Fighter.

You don't have to worry about additional defense if you spend all of your time dancing around your bumbling foes (and/or raining hellfire down from above).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Has anyone else encountered some bizarre bugs after the latest patch?

For example, I just got to the campfire cooking sequence, and I couldn't pick anything up. I could move the cursor, things would get highlighted, but buttons or pressing in the thumbsticks did nothing. I was playing a local game. It was also with my level 101 character. Do characters over 99 lose the ability to cook? Because that would be a travesty.

The camera is also terrible right now. I don't know what they did to it, but it goes all over the place.

Otherwise, I'm loving the patch.

maouvin

For example, I just got to the campfire cooking sequence, and I couldn't pick anything up. I could move the cursor, things would get highlighted, but buttons or pressing in the thumbsticks did nothing. I was playing a local game. It was also with my level 101 character. Do characters over 99 lose the ability to cook? Because that would be a travesty.

The camera is also terrible right now. I don't know what they did to it, but it goes all over the place.

Never had problems cooking, online or offline (vita, us version).

And yes, the new camera is crap. Especially when the boss snipe at me from off-screen (I believe it doesn't get this bad playing solo, tho).

I had that exact same thing (not being able to click anything during campfire) once, and indeed, it was after the latest patch; this happened right at the start of the cooking sequence, I got 0 score. My character wasn't anywhere like level 99 (more like 70), and in fact I could cook in further campfires, no problem, so that's not it. This was a local multiplayer game and my GF could cook just fine (and even put food on my plate, but I couldn't eat it anyway).

I know they said this was the last patch, but it would really suck if they let bugs and the awful, awful camera in. I wonder what they touched that broke all this stuff, particularly since they made no other change whatsoever to cooking that I know of.

I've been going hard on this lol

My Elf is level 45 and I've got a Wizard and Fighter in the 20s with a few talismans each. Not really sure about the Wizard, his damage seems alright but having to recharge MP so often makes playing solo a pain in the ass. Fighter is really straight forward but I think he'll start to shine later on as the difficulty ramps up. For now there isn't much reason not be on the offensive 24/7

Top Bottom