• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Eusis

Trophies aren't content, jesus...
It's better to term it a feature really, content implies it's something more substantial than a little alert you accomplished something. Unless you're looking for it as an excuse to DO some of these things, but then that begs for the counter that they could've given REAL content as in-game awards for accomplishing certain feats.
I'm not seeing a night a day difference with those comparisons. It's barely even subtley altered, although maybe that has more to do with Youtube compression than anything. The only changes I am noticing are miniscule terrain and rooftop textures, but the characters look exactly the same. It doesn't help that the video isn't actually a side-by-side comparison with the same frames either.
Yeah, I switched to HD streaming to be sure, and I'm pretty sure this doesn't affect the characters, just the terrain. But when you DO see it for the terrain, wow, this is very much like playing games at low quality textures on PC, or when they're still streaming in for UE3.

Kyoufu

Advice for those of you going into this game blind and fresh:

Level all of your vocations!

They all have Augments which will benefit you. Some of them are unlocked at the maximum Vocation rank.

Anteater

The original textures definitely don't look that bad on my tv.Capcom have become the masters of reverse bullshoting in these HD comparisons in order to make HD ports and "improved" versions like DA look much better than the original games.

I think they aren't actually "HD Textures", someone mentioned it was just to save space so they could fit all contents on 1 disc, while still making it playable without a mandatory install. So yea, they probably did downsize the textures so the game+dark arisen could fit on the first disc.

sublimit

Banned
I think they aren't actually "HD Textures", someone mentioned it was just to save space so they could fit all contents on 1 disc, while still making it playable without a mandatory install.

By "reverse bullshoting" i meant that they delibirately made the original game textures in that video look worse than they actually were.

Anteater

By "reverse bullshoting" i meant that they delibirately made the original game textures in that video look worse than they actually were.

That's the same game though in the video, both were from dark arisen, I don't think the video was from capcom, but yea the resolution of the textures in DA should be lower than the original DD because they resized them so they could fit them on one disc.

So does anyone have any idea yet what the perfect level to start the DA dungeon should be? I'm starting a new character, and I don't know if I should wait until after getting some gear from the dragon, or attempt to do it before post-game. Or if post-game has any effect at all with the dungeon.
One of the NPCs on Bitterblack Isle can further enhance ("rarefy") dragonforged gear, so beyond the 'level 50' suggestion, that might be something to consider. Although having said that, it looks like there are plenty of dragons on Bitterblack Isle anyway.

Eusis

You don't understand: the HD textures are the original textures, the crap textures are the "I don't have space/I don't want to take the time to install to the memory/I'm blind anyway" option. I'm reasonably confident we won't even see this crop up on the PS3 as an option.

sublimit

Banned
That's the same game though in the video, both were from dark arisen, I don't think the video was from capcom, but yea the resolution of the textures in DA should be lower than the original DD because they resized them so they could fit them on one disc.

You don't understand: the HD textures are the original textures, the crap textures are the "I don't have space/I don't want to take the time to install to the memory/I'm blind anyway" option. I'm reasonably confident we won't even see this crop up on the PS3 as an option.

Ah ok now i get it. :)

I still think though that if someone doesn't know that he/she might still get the wrong impression that this video is a comparison between the original game and the DA version...

Eusis

Hey, if you can develop a strong argument as to why they're not, by all means. Otherwise, lol at you.
Did you skip my post? I think I made a compelling case but to go further: to me content would be something meatier, like new areas, new weapons, no characters, more story... trophies are just adding extra items on a checklist, and as the game tracks that it's more of a feature, or rather expanding a feature. At best you can argue the pictures and maybe the descriptions are content, but that's pretty damn shallow content.

Come to think of it, have there even really BEEN arguments made for achievements/trophies being content beyond just claiming it is?

EDIT: And admittedly this ends up slightly pedantic given people would just have grounds to claim there's significant functionality not being extended to the expansion. Nevertheless when content specifically keeps being touted it begs for the distinction to be made.
Ah ok now i get it. :)

I still think though that if someone doesn't know that he/she might still get the wrong impression that this video is a comparison between the original game and the DA version...
Yeah, and HD textures are inherently misleading. It gives the impression we're getting better textures, akin to the packs we get on Steam, when it's the opposite: we're just getting the original ones shuffled onto the other disc because the new stuff takes up too much space, yet I guess they have to make that new content accessible on the same disc as the main game. Probably works out better than swapping discs admittedly.

Yeah, and HD textures are inherently misleading. It gives the impression we're getting better textures, akin to the packs we get on Steam, when it's the opposite: we're just getting the original ones shuffled onto the other disc because the new stuff takes up too much space, yet I guess they have to make that new content accessible on the same disc as the main game. Probably works out better than swapping discs admittedly.

Pretty much what I make of this strange action from Capcom.

Apparently the content they added was not doable on 1 Disc so they added the HD textures on the 2nd disc so you do not have to disc swap. It is no biggie, but advertising it as HD textures while it is actually the same textures as the original game is pretty weird to me.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Did you skip my post? I think I made a compelling case but to go further: to me content would be something meatier, like new areas, new weapons, no characters, more story... trophies are just adding extra items on a checklist, and as the game tracks that it's more of a feature, or rather expanding a feature. At best you can argue the pictures and maybe the descriptions are content, but that's pretty damn shallow content.

Come to think of it, have there even really BEEN arguments made for achievements/trophies being content beyond just claiming it is?

EDIT: And admittedly this ends up slightly pedantic given people would just have grounds to claim there's significant functionality not being extended to the expansion. Nevertheless when content specifically keeps being touted it begs for the distinction to be made.

Trophies are developer designed and approved challenges/methods of playing. Not only are they recognized within the game, they're recognized on a system based level as well. The issue is not whether they use 3d textured assets or give new items or give in game rewards at all. They require playing the game in a certain manner and that is content. We can argue trophy design all we want, and unsurprisingly you went immediately to the checklist example. Yes, most trophies are just rewards for collecting shit. Those are lazy. But there are many trophies that go above and beyond that, and they add more content for the player, even if it doesn't fit with the exact definition of "content" you have in your head.

By looking at Dogma's list I already see there are trophies for alternate choices/endings. Had you not been aiming for that trophy, it's possible you would have missed that alternate choice/ending/cinematic - a piece of content, right? The trophy itself was a means of communicating to you that there was extra content for you to see. It's likely some people never even knew such content existed if they picked the right choice and continued on with the game.

Regardless, I bolded the important part of your post for you.

And just to reiterate, people asking why there aren't trophies are asking because there are games out there where dlc has them included. Why does this one not have a feature other games do? That's the point in question.

Vandal Online
This is the original game plus the expansion reasonably priced, so if you missed them when they were released, you've got now a great opportunity to enjoy this open-world RPG.
84/100

Meristation
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen offers more challenge, monsters and secrets to the original Dragon's Dogma experience. With the same great combat system, but it has some important graphical issues.
80/100

Eurogamer
Dark Arisen is indisputably in Dark Souls' thrall. But this tribute is both thoughtful and creative, building upon Miyazaki's work with some individuality rather than merely mimicking its - arguably unrepeatable - wonders. Dragon's Dogma is yet to find its true identity, but this expansion is evidence of one of Capcom's more capable remaining internal teams - as well as of a series that clearly has long-term ambitions which seem likely to blossom in time.
8/10

Somebody make a review thread please

iratA

Sorry I'm trying to pick up on this conversation late, but am I reading this right; that Dark Arisen doesn't have trophies?

ironcreed

Banned
Nice reviews, but I disagree with Eurogamer saying that the game has no identity of it's own. Despite having shades of other games like Shadow of the Colossus and Monster Hunter here and there, the Pawn system, sense of adventure, enemies like the Ur Dragon, the gameplay variety and mechanics, the use of night and the incredible way the ending is handled are the kinds of elements that very much make Dragon's Dogma stand out from everything else when weighed with the total package. Sorry, Eurogamer, but you are just plain wrong on that one.

Kyoufu

Nice reviews, but I disagree with Eurogamer saying that the game has no identity of it's own. Despite having shades of other games like Shadow of the Colossus and Monster Hunter here and there, the Pawn system, sense of adventure, enemies like the Ur Dragon, the gameplay variety and mechanics, the use of night and the incredible way the ending is handled are the kinds of elements that very much make Dragon's Dogma stand out from everything else when weighed with the total package. Sorry, Eurogamer, but you are just plain wrong on that one.

Exactly. Seems like a half-assed review.

So this is the exact same game/content as the first just with the dlc and a new area to explore?

Is it kind of like how Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 was to the first Marvel Vs Capcom 3?

I thought it was a big expansion pack.

RS4-

I feel bad, looked forward to DD for so long before it came out last year, and then I only end up playing for...maybe an hour.

So I will pick up DA in a bit to make up for it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So this is the exact same game/content as the first just with the dlc and a new area to explore?

Is it kind of like how Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 was to the first Marvel Vs Capcom 3?

I thought it was a big expansion pack.

The new content is allegedly about 20 hours worth.

According to a changelog the original base game world has been tweaked with new enemy locations, more teleport facilities, and other nips and tucks. Along with more tiers of skills and abilities for the character classes, and a lot of new armor, etc.

well put. all i can add is that, over the course of my 50-60 hr play time, i never found myself feeling like i was playing something other than dragon's dogma :) ...

Carcetti

I kinda agree. Dragon's Dogma feels like Dragon's Dogma, not a DS clone. Dark Souls is so exact, polished in its gameplay while Dragon's Dogma is more rough, random and even comical plus it has those monsterhunteresque giant monsters to deal with.

Dave1988

So what's the deal with past DLC for vanilla DD? Are they all on the disc with DA or do I have to reinstall them?

popyea

The Dark Souls comparisons are only aimed at the new content, not the whole game. The new content seems like a bit of a tonal shift. I think it's possible that Dark Souls had an influence on the team's decision to shift focus when you consider the timing of development and all that.

Mugaaz

Im torn on this game. I have like a lvl 90-110 sorcerer. I dont want to replay the original game, but I hear Ill be too overpowered for the new content. Seems shitty to me.

So I guess it'll be the same in Dark Arisen, but you could change your appearance in the original right? As I understand it, you could redo your appearance once on your first playthrough, and unlimited times after that? Just wanted to know to keep it in mind so that I don't go crazy over character creation.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I am extremely interested in buying this game in the coming week with one very important point to hinge upon: Is there a way in this re-release to decrease the number of vocal expressions from the pawns? Can you turn off their babbling? Can you at least mute them and not have to mute the entire game? I had to stop playing the original because of them.
You're in luck, decreased pawn chatter is one of the bullet points of the expansion's new features.

So I guess it'll be the same in Dark Arisen, but you could change your appearance in the original right? As I understand it, you could redo your appearance once on your first playthrough, and unlimited times after that? Just wanted to know to keep it in mind so that I don't go crazy over character creation.

You can do it fairly early on by buying an item called "art of metamorphosis" from a certain shop, though it's a one use item so you have to be sure of the changes you want to make before using it.

Im torn on this game. I have like a lvl 90-110 sorcerer. I dont want to replay the original game, but I hear Ill be too overpowered for the new content. Seems shitty to me.
Yep, you'll be way overpowered.
Death
might still be a threat to you.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

Yep. The items are sold by Johnathan, the dude in the pawn encampment near the rift that sells items for rift crystals.

He sells two items, one of which gives you a one-time do-over of your Arisen and main pawn's appearance, and one of which lets you change them any time you want in perpetuity. The one-time use item is available from the beginning, and the infinite use item is available when you're very near the end of the game. It's also available in NG+.

Top Bottom