• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Do the new improvements extend to the original game or do they only apply to the expansion area?

They apply to all areas, and will apply retroactively to any save you import.

Any news yet on which version is the superior one to buy? I already have a 360 save, but i plan on starting a new character. Wasn't sure if one of the two versions are thought to be better.

Kyoufu

They apply to all areas, and will apply retroactively to any save you import.

Any news yet on which version is the superior one to buy? I already have a 360 save, but i plan on starting a new character. Wasn't sure if one of the two versions are thought to be better.

I would just go with the version you have a save file for. I imagine one is full of tearing and the other has frame drops.

gioGAF

To whoever already has DD:DA, please check to see if Capcom has tampered (ie. nerfed) the Assassin class (skills / augments / stat growth). I'm one of those people that enjoys min/maxing and attempting solo runs.

I may just get vanilla Dragon's Dogma again instead of Dark Arisen if Capcom decided to take away my ability to play my badass Assassin.

I've come up with a genius idea.

I've ordered DD:DA and it will be shipped out shortly. If the framerate is still shit and multiple gaffers confirm it, i will return it. If it has been slightly improved, i'll keep it.

I really, really want to play this game, but that ps3 framerate was just... ugh

LaneDS

Are the PS3 demo links in the OP from the original DD? Bought the game on 360 the first go round but am considering getting Dark Arisen on the PS3 but wanted to get a feel for how it performs versus what I was used to.

anyone confirm the 360 one has eliminated tearing?

I couldnt take the tearing on the original ended up getting ps3 instead, but 360 should perform better

I'm at the end of my second play through and I'm still finding new armor and equipment in everfall. Even if you can burn through the new island in 2 hours, that doesn't mean much. DD is about exploring and multiple encounters to get equipment/upgrades.

On a side note, I'm surprised the internet hates warriors so much. Its the most fun I have with the game. I was a Magic Knight for a while but it got pretty boring. I dropped assassin once I had the vocation maxed out. I keep coming back to warrior, charging in and fucking shit up

ironcreed

Banned
I'm at the end of my second play through and I'm still finding new armor and equipment in everfall. Even if you can burn through the new island in 2 hours, that doesn't mean much. DD is about exploring and multiple encounters to get equipment/upgrades.

Yeah, I am expecting to get quite a bit more out of it than that. I'm betting that if the 2 hour claim is even legit, that it was a rush job without exploring, finding secrets, etc.

i lived in everfall for a week and dragon forged half the equipment there. was fun, but hopefully the new areas look better than everfall.

Sanctuary

Hey, if you can develop a strong argument as to why they're not, by all means. Otherwise, lol at you.

This again...
Trophies aren't content. Just because you feel some strange sense of accomplishment for dying six times naked doesn't make it any more "content" instead of simply another way to play what's already there.

Nice reviews, but I disagree with Eurogamer saying that the game has no identity of it's own. Despite having shades of other games like Shadow of the Colossus and Monster Hunter here and there, the Pawn system, sense of adventure, enemies like the Ur Dragon, the gameplay variety and mechanics, the use of night and the incredible way the ending is handled are the kinds of elements that very much make Dragon's Dogma stand out from everything else when weighed with the total package. Sorry, Eurogamer, but you are just plain wrong on that one.

When one game continually makes you think of other games, instead of it's own brand; that's a lack of identity.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
This again...
Trophies aren't content. Just because you feel some strange sense of accomplishment for dying six times naked doesn't make it any more "content" instead of simply another way to play what's already there.

By strong argument I meant just that, not calling someone else's enjoyment of a game "strange". "this again.." is my line. But we can let it go, sure, trophies are terrible, aren't content, and everyone who enjoys them is some e-peen wagging basement dweller.

Guess I'll see what the trade-in value on the vanilla game is :p

Also, trophies are worthless to me, but I'm not sure how hard it is to understand that people who like something might like it to be in a game. You don't need trophies to create goofy challenges for yourself, but when people do speed runs or no-hit runs or what-not, no one criticizes those.

Z3M0G

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is an expanded re-release of last year's Dragon's Dogma, including the whole original game only now enhanced with new content

Wait, what? Really? AWESOME! Now I'm even happier that I didn't jump on buying DD yet.

ironcreed

Banned
When one game continually makes you think of other games, instead of it's own brand; that's a lack of identity.

But that's just it, all of those aspects I listed give it an identity. When I play Dragon's Dogma, it feels like it's more than doing it's own thing.

I love this OT's subtitle - Deep Down darkness. haha.

Deep Down is DD2. I hope it's a launch title.

Also, my order has shipped from Amazon! Will be here tomorrow morning :D

Oh, it's not gonna be available as stand alone?

Well that's me out. Can't believe I missed that over the months I've been watching this, lol.

Thanks for nothing Capcom.

I'm beginning to doubt Deep Down is DD2. Ono said "new IP".

There's been conflicting reports within Capcom themselves over this. Even if Dragon's Dogma is not in the title, it certainly seems like it'll be the spiritual successor. I can't see them making Deep Down, and then Dragon's Dogma 2, it'd spread them too thin within the genre.

But that's just it, all of those aspects I listed give it an identity. When I play Dragon's Dogma, it feels like it's more than doing it's own thing.

Pretty much this.

Dragon's Dogma does things that went out of the safe route that many other RPG's kept doing over and over again, and that breath of fresh air was just what the genre needed.

The combat is so fresh and exciting that every other RPG feels bland in comparison. You are always on your toes, but when the action happens it is like you are in a LOTR movie sequence fighting every fantasy enemy you dreamed about.

The pawns are one of the most helpful AI in every game so far. They do not stand in your way, give you advice when needed and aid you when you are having trouble. It all flows so well that it gives the game a feeling of participating in something epic when the action hits.

By strong argument I meant just that, not calling someone else's enjoyment of a game "strange". "this again.." is my line. But we can let it go, sure, trophies are terrible, aren't content, and everyone who enjoys them is some e-peen wagging basement dweller.

Worldrevolution, I got an idea. PM me a screenshot of every major accomplishment in your next DD playthrough and I'll PM you back and tell you "Good Job". I'm willing to make that sacrifice to make your playthrough more enjoyable. I'm entirely serious.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The quests that are "Kill X number of enemy type Y" don't have waypoints of any sort, nor do they have deadlines. Just take all of those that you see and eventually you'll figure out where those enemy types appear.

For the flowers quest, you can get some info by talking to townsfolk. The moonglow is tricky to find, but you only need to find one of them. Again, the townsfolk will be able to give you some hints.
Cool, thanks. I'm just so used to games that say "goblins spawn here, dummy" that I suppose I'm pampered.

I didn't jump on DD the first time, and felt guilty about it, but Capcom is rewarding me with Dark Arisen. Thanks Capcom!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Worldrevolution, I got an idea. PM me a screenshot of every major accomplishment in your next DD playthrough and I'll PM you back and tell you "Good Job". I'm willing to make that sacrifice to make your playthrough more enjoyable. I'm entirely serious.

That wouldn't make my playthrough more enjoyable. What would, is doing everything the developer set out as a goal for me. Which I will, so I'm gonna have a blast with this game. If you have your own benchmarks for getting enjoyment out of a game, great. I don't make an judgments about that, so why does it bother you so much what I do lol?

Tell me though, let's say you play through DD one time and some how miss some of the alternate "endings" from making different choices during certain parts of the game. You take a peek at the trophy list and it clues you in on this. You then go back and enjoy that content that you had missed the first time. Is this not a clear example of how having a visible form of progress status (which is designed by the developer) can be helpful? Even if I personally hated trophies and they weren't for me, I don't see how I could ever argue how the concept of them some how detracts from a game.

Alright, put down my preorder, I'll start my let's play on thursday It looks like.

I've looked everywhere for a good DD Let's Play and I've never found a complete one. 3-5 episodes at most. Did Capcom do a purge of them or something for licensing reasons?

Well post a link when you start - I'd like to watch.

That wouldn't make my playthrough more enjoyable. What would, is doing everything the developer set out as a goal for me. Which I will, so I'm gonna have a blast with this game. If you have your own benchmarks for getting enjoyment out of a game, great. I don't make an judgments about that, so why does it bother you so much what I do lol?

Tell me though, let's say you play through DD one time and some how miss some of the alternate "endings" from making different choices during certain parts of the game. You take a peek at the trophy list and it clues you in on this. You then go back and enjoy that content that you had missed the first time. Is this not a clear example of how having a visible form of progress status, that is designed by the developer, can be helpful? Even if I personally hated trophies and they weren't for me, I don't see how I could ever argue how the concept of them some how detracts from a game.

Not judging you - I get that you like trophies. I may not understand how you could let a lack of new trophies bother you, but I'm certainly not judging you because of it.

In my experience, any trophies related to alternate endings in games or other plot points are completely vague and/or "hidden" until you unlock them.

I mostly feel the same way. Honestly, I see the elements of so many games in so many other games now that if I followed that criteria, I doubt I could say I've played more than a dozen games with their own identity in the last 10 years.

Next gen I want positive reinforcement via personalized emails when I achieve.

I'm an expert

Not judging you - I get that you like trophies. I may not understand how you could let a lack of new trophies bother you, but I'm certainly not judging you because of it.

In my experience, any trophies related to alternate endings in games or other plot points are completely vague and/or "hidden" until you unlock them.

What exactly was the point of your post then? If you're not mocking me in some form, then you sure are a nice person to cheer me on with personal pms as I play the game. Myself and others have said it before - fuck the trophies - it's the concept that trophies aren't universally given to every game with dlc is what bothers us. The game is a brand new experience for me, the dlc not having trophs means shit to me. The practice of developers not all having to put trophs in their dlc is what's weird. Oh well.

And it's 2013. Who would look at the list, see a locked trophy, and say oh well guess I can't get that. It's called..the internet.

Mesoian

I've looked everywhere for a good DD Let's Play and I've never found a complete one. 3-5 episodes at most. Did Capcom do a purge of them or something for licensing reasons?

Well post a link when you start - I'd like to watch.

It's probably not the best game to LP, but neither is Dark Souls and people seem to eat that up. ::Shrugs::

Just made the intro for it; as soon as I get the game and start recording, I'll put the link in the OT for the game.

I'm planning on doing new game plus with hard mode which, hopefully, will make the beginning of the game just as exciting as everything after the first 3 hours of the game on normal.

What exactly was the point of your post then? If you're not mocking me in some form, then you sure are a nice person to cheer me on with personal pms as I play the game. Myself and others have said it before - fuck the trophies - it's the concept that trophies aren't universally given to every game with dlc is what bothers us. The game is a brand new experience for me, the dlc not having trophs means shit to me. The practice of developers not all having to put trophs in their dlc is what's weird. Oh well.

And it's 2013. Who would look at the list, see a locked trophy, and say oh well guess I can't get that. It's called..the internet.

Yep. I'm confused though, as you're the one who said they'd be useful in the first place. If I had a question about the game's ending I'd consult a wiki or the |OT|, not a trophy list.

I'll admit my post was having a little fun, but I'm honestly not doing it to be mean-spirited. I agree that it's unusual that DA doesn't offer any new trophies, but that hasn't done anything to dull my excitement for the game. I hope you enjoy DA, trophies or not.

Has anyone confirmed whether or not the spawns are the same? That was something I didn't like in the original DD, how the enemy spawns were in the same locations every time.

Eusis

Trophies are developer designed and approved challenges/methods of playing. Not only are they recognized within the game, they're recognized on a system based level as well. The issue is not whether they use 3d textured assets or give new items or give in game rewards at all. They require playing the game in a certain manner and that is content. We can argue trophy design all we want, and unsurprisingly you went immediately to the checklist example. Yes, most trophies are just rewards for collecting shit. Those are lazy. But there are many trophies that go above and beyond that, and they add more content for the player, even if it doesn't fit with the exact definition of "content" you have in your head.

By looking at Dogma's list I already see there are trophies for alternate choices/endings. Had you not been aiming for that trophy, it's possible you would have missed that alternate choice/ending/cinematic - a piece of content, right? The trophy itself was a means of communicating to you that there was extra content for you to see. It's likely some people never even knew such content existed if they picked the right choice and continued on with the game.

Regardless, I bolded the important part of your post for you.

And just to reiterate, people asking why there aren't trophies are asking because there are games out there where dlc has them included. Why does this one not have a feature other games do? That's the point in question.
You say it doesn't fit normal definitions of content, but this seems to further reinforce the feature angle I was getting at. No one would call, say, a quest journal content, but it IS a feature, letting us track all the quests we're doing, in some form anyway, and tackle those as we see fit. In that regard the trophies and achievements are the same, even if they encourage you to play differently or do different things that's basically just outlaying how to use the content given. Also...

This undermines the "I wouldn't have looked for the other ending(s)!" point actually. You can't be sure until you go online, and unless you were never predisposed to seeing all the endings you could you would've looked up how to see if there were other endings online anyway. Some of this stuff didn't really need achievements/trophies to justify hunting down before, and I think to most people are still secondary as the reward is more story if they're invested, maybe different boss fights too.

Well, there's a limit to how many points you can add on 360 for DLC total (750) so if they mandated that it could mean an effective limit on how much DLC you can put out at all, and I wouldn't really like that just for ACHIEVEMENTS. Though Microsoft may well do that anyway, and besides it's blowing an opportunity to work on a new game and people have been very weary on DLC being excessive.

Though there's also multiplayer-only DLC, and everyone seems to absolutely fucking hate multiplayer achievements anyway, so it's for the best.

I'm an expert

Trophies/achievements are still in their infancy. I wouldn't contest with anyone that 99% of them are poorly designed and downright suck. But there's good hidden under there that hopefully later generations will be able to expand on. And I'll leave that topic at that!

xCobalt

Currently ginding in the everfall...

Dat Archydra. They should have made these things way more numerous. The detail and animation is amazing

Is there a faster way of taking them down? They don't really pose a threat to me but it takes forever with the constant regeneration.

TentPole

I preordered this off of PSN and was wondering if there is any way to preload it. I remember hearing about it for Bioshock but I can't seem to find anything on it now.

Top Bottom