• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

One of the NPCs on Bitterblack Isle can further enhance ("rarefy") dragonforged gear, so beyond the 'level 50' suggestion, that might be something to consider. Although having said that, it looks like there are plenty of dragons on Bitterblack Isle anyway.

Hmm, this could be troublesome for me -- what, with my 300+ pieces of DF'd equipment and weapons.

Gonna be expensive...

Good thing I have 50million+ gold... unless it requires Rift Crystals, only have 1million+ of those.

Belgian here and it's not available yet it seems... I know some stores break street dates here with big titles like Uncharted, God Of War etc, but this is probably a smaller title and it probably ain't worth it.

I just went to my local game mania and the store clerk said they don't have it till the 26th.
I'm sure they have it in stock already though, weird because game mania never really cared about release dates when I used last bought a game there about 12 years ago.

I still hope they release this on pc someday, all the hassle with installing texture packs, black bars, firmware updates etc is way too much fuss when I just want to play the game, on a pc I download a game and it just works.

hayguyz

Banned
Wait wait wait.... I was thinking about picking this up. This big expansion doesn't add any achievements at all??? What's the point?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wait wait wait.... I was thinking about picking this up. This big expansion doesn't add any achievements at all??? What's the point?

Woo boy, you did not just open up that can (even though I agree with you lol)..gonna sit this one out..

OSHAN

Also, if you started a new game+, are you screwed with accessing the new content?

It's been awhile since I played DD, and I don't remember how the saves worked.

pablito

never been an achievements/trophies guy myself. don't have the time and i'd get bored anyways. but i see why people like them. but watch the videos. the point of it is to do those things!

So, what was the reason this couldn't be DLC again?

No legitimate reason. If you haven't played DD before this is a steal, but if you already own the game there's no reason this couldn't have been DLC.

Also, if you started a new game+, are you screwed with accessing the new content?

It's been awhile since I played DD, and I don't remember how the saves worked.
You can access the content fine on NG+. You'll probably be overpowered, though. Depends on your level.

Obvious troll.

hayguyz

Banned
Obvious troll.

Every add-on, every dlc, every expansion adds achievements/trophies.

They help me keep track of my progress and show off my progress to my friends. They help me mark my completion. They show on my games tab that I have completed a game or have a platinum trophy.

With so much added content, why doesn't this have them?

I am trying to save money but I am really tempted by this. I love vanilla DD so much but never finished it. This seems like a good way to get back into it, even if the new content maybe should have been DLC. Must resist impulse purchase.

abundant

Yep, you'll be way overpowered.
Death
might still be a threat to you.

I wouldn't say way overpowered. I've seen some videos of someone at level 148 and a few of the boss encounters were still tough for him. It's best to play DA at around level 50, but the game should be a little challenging even at level 100 (on Hard). You won't be steamrolling over everything at least.

Death
will be a challenge, even at level 148 because he has a one hit kill move.

OSHAN

No legitimate reason. If you haven't played DD before this is a steal, but if you already own the game there's no reason this couldn't have been DLC.

You can access the content fine on NG+. You'll probably be overpowered, though. Depends on your level.

Oh yeah, NG+ doesn't reset your level. Forgot all about that.

I started my NG+ game as almost the same time as the Artorias was released, so I wasn't sure if I was repeating past mistakes.

I am trying to save money but I am really tempted by this. I love vanilla DD so much but never finished it. This seems like a good way to get back into it, even if the new content maybe should have been DLC. Must resist impulse purchase.

Ah, go for it. This is far removed from your stanard "dlc episode" - it's a full-fledged expansion that includes the base game and tweeks some of the game's aspects for the better.

They help me keep track of my progress and show off my progress to my friends. They help me mark my completion. They show on my games tab that I have completed a game or have a platinum trophy.

I can understand being upset at the lack of new trophies - I understand that trophies are a feature that some people enjoy. I just don't get how you could consider trophies the whole point of playing. Believe it or not, a lot of us will be enjoying DA for the game and not to improve our gamer score.

soldat7

LLWGtl1.jpg

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Damn yo..people really hating reading the op don't they..

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is an expanded re-release of last year's Dragon's Dogma, including the whole original game only now enhanced with new content

abundant

According to someone on Gamefaqs, they beat the expansion quest in 2 hours (started at level 100, finished at level 130). It was still challenging even at level 100.

According to someone on Gamefaqs, they beat the expansion quest in 2 hours (started at level 100, finished at level 130). It was still challenging even at level 100.

2 hours... WTF so this is why they put DD in as well...

Oh well haven't play DD yet so it's all good for me.

I'm an expert

I'm sure there's more to do than just the 2 hour quest. I'm assuming lots of chest/boss farming/secrets.

For what though? If you can complete the main quest/bosses of the expansion, why farm loot/exp? Just a general question that applies to all games like this. Once you've beaten the actual content, only the most die hard will min/max or 100% the game. Hell, without trophs you don't even have a need to 100% it.

Kyoufu

For what though? If you can complete the main quest/bosses of the expansion, why farm loot/exp? Just a general question that applies to all games like this. Once you've beaten the actual content, only the most die hard will min/max or 100% the game. Hell, without trophs you don't even have a need to 100% it.

Sigh.

Has it ever occurred to you that people 100%'d video games before trophies/achievements?

Getting sick of this discussion.

anddo0

Yeah about that...

Good thing I didn't pre-order on PSN. I was all set to get this on Tuesday. But now I'm wary. 2 hours wtf? Even if there is more gold etc.. If the quests are only two hours that's pretty shameful and explains why they included the original. As someone who finished, and traded in the vanilla DD. I need more. I'll wait for others to report in.

I'm an expert

Sigh.

Has it ever occurred to you that people 100%'d video games before trophies/achievements?

Yes, it occurred to me, I was one of those people. What I didn't do though was beat every boss/enemy the game had to offer, and then go out of my way to farm levels/gear that would make me stronger for.......what? No one is stopping you from doing the old school 100% save file.

As for trophs, what I'm saying is A SYSTEM EXISTS THAT WOULD INDEED ALLOW YOU TRACK THAT YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE GAME 100% and, for whatever reason, they didn't use it with this particular piece of content. Whether you like trophs or not, doesn't that just make you feel icky as a gamer?

atomsk

Party Pooper

and here I was concerned about space issues because I was going to do some video capture with my friend who is 200 tomorrow. (and he wanted to record the whole playthrough)

I like how we're taking the word of some no-name on Gamefaqs as fact.

You could complete DD's post-game in an hour but that didn't stop people from spending 20 hours in the Everfall.

Calm down, people.

Mugaaz

Sigh.

Yes, but so what? Listing how long it takes to 100% a game as the metric for how much real content has been added is bullshit and completely disingenuous. People are asking how long it will take to beat Super Mario Bros, not how long to be able to beat the game on 1 life and grab every single coin.

Arcteryx

The original game didn't have much story; I spent most of my time(150+hrs just roaming, getting loot, making pawns, etc).

Kyoufu

You could complete DD's post-game in an hour but that didn't stop people from spending 20 hours in the Everfall.

Calm down, people.

Yeah, you can even beat the main story in 3-4 hours.

But never mind. Without trophies you won't want to see the rest of the content, right?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
30 levels in 2 hours is quite a bit. Especially if they weren't trying to grind or anything and just playing normally.

Yeah about that...

Good thing I didn't pre-order on PSN. I was all set to get this on Tuesday. But now I'm wary. 2 hours wtf? Even if there is more gold etc.. If the quests are only two hours that's pretty shameful and explains why they included the original. As someone who finished, and traded in the vanilla DD. I need more. I'll wait for others to report in.

Did the Gamefaqs guy say he just followed the main quest? Sounds like it. I read enough previews there are a lot of secrets to discover, and I find it weird if Capcom releases a new expansion with no quests except for the main one.

The original game didn't have much story; I spent most of my time(150+hrs just roaming, getting loot, making pawns, etc).

Yeah, and that's fine as long as there's enough content to keep you entertained. But if we're being honest, by the time I hit level 85 or so, I was bored out of my skull. I'm not saying that game isn't amazing, because it is. But it still got old for me at some point, just the same.

Trigger

Calm down, people.

Yeah, I doubt someone could blow through everything in 2 hours and get the full experience.

I've played thousands of hours of cs, hundreds of bf1942, tekken , ut, quake, gran turismo etc over the years with no achievements to show for it!
You just made me realise I've wasted my entire life because I played those games and have no achievements to show for it.

All that time is meaningless now and those games are shit and not worth playing in hindsight.
Thanks for the eye opener

Anteater

I'd wait for a gaffer's impression, I usually isn't the one to be complaining about length but it depends on how the game is structured, I've spent over 20hrs in Vanquish and that game was "5hrs".

I wouldn't be surprised if you could blow through the expansion area and beating the boss within a few hours at lvl100+

I'm an expert

I've played thousands of hours of cs, hundreds of bf1942, tekken , ut, quake, gran turismo etc over the years with no achievements to show for it!
You just made me realise I've wasted my entire life because I played those games and have no achievements to show for it.

All that time is meaningless now.

Thanks for the eye opener

One, he's talking about his personal experience and expectation with achievements. He's no projecting it on to you or expecting you to have the same view.

Two, I get what you're saying, but those are all genres that essentially have infinite play through competitive multiplayer or things like leaderboards/times. It's a bit different for a single player, story focused game where the content does eventually literally run out.

Top Bottom