• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Skilletor

Spoilers for vanilla!
Why did the duke choke his wife anyhow, because the dragon was back and he had to sacrifice his beloved last time and didn't want to do it again so he figured he's just 'put her down' or something?

Endgame spoilers

I think the duke was just crazy. He'd driven himself mad over sacrificing his lady love and living a lie (DRAGONSBANE LOL), and he seemed a bit drunk. He was just crazy all around.

Eusis

Endgame spoilers

I think the duke was just crazy. He'd driven himself mad over sacrificing his lady love and living a lie (DRAGONSBANE LOL), and he seemed a bit drunk. He was just crazy all around.
Yeah, he seems to
put on a good public face, but internally is a wreck, and you REALLY fuck it up when you kill the dragon.

Though the weirdness does continue then:
he orders you hunted down and dead, yet they ONLY care in the immediate vacinity of the manse? Though, this is kind of fanwank but I wonder if the Dragon making him Duke gave him some ability to make most people want to actively want to serve him? I guess it could explain how he became Duke easily, how you're able to take his place readily (though maybe the Dragon just killed him off screen), and possibly all that weirdness when they don't seem to give a shit most of the time, not to any lasting degree anyway.

hiryu

Anyone know a good way to farm rift crystals? I have way more cursed items in storage than I have crystals to purge them. Do I just need to get someone to use my pawn for a bit?

Audioboxer

Just had an epic fight with some big rock purple monster. Taking the game very slowly and loving it.

I've reached lvl 24 with my strider, does anyone know any good armour sets/pieces?

reson8or

DA has finally broken my spirit:

Playing on hard, finished first run of DA, beat final boss;

I get to the section before the "city"; has 1 Drake, 1 Dragon, and a Wyvern! Needless to say its a slaughter, I can't even stop to fight with the Dragon and Drake constantly casting, my pawns die fairly quickly so I'm left to just run. I then get to the city and face no less than 5 Minotaurs AT THE SAME TIME!, then a drake joins in... Seriously, I love challenge, but this seems a bit much. Currently I'm around level 171 and still getting slaughtered. I don't want to go back to normal either, bah :(

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This jump in difficulty in BBI after the Wight and Undead Dragon is pretty fucking shitty. What am I supposed to do, grind and level up and re-run chests to get better gear? I was doing fine until fucking rooms of tornados and one hit kill archers. I think like 3 giant hounds turned up at the same time too. Fuck that.

Pawn AI is so fucked as well, especially when I'm an Assassin and depend on my sorc's to fuck up Phantasms and they just dont.

Egh, I was really liking this stuff, but they just turned on the fucking cheap switch at this point. Then I take some cursed armor and weapons back and they get purified to the exact same shit I already have. Come on now. Total mood killer.

:mad:

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Man..pawn inclination is serious. I just hired a gafer's ranger pawn that's a guardian lol. This is..bad.

I get to the section before the "city"; has 1 Drake, 1 Dragon, and a Wyvern! Needless to say its a slaughter, I can't even stop to fight with the Dragon and Drake constantly casting, my pawns die fairly quickly so I'm left to just run. I then get to the city and face no less than 5 Minotaurs AT THE SAME TIME!, then a drake joins in... Seriously, I love challenge, but this seems a bit much. Currently I'm around level 171 and still getting slaughtered. I don't want to go back to normal either, bah :(

I'm playing on Hard too and I thought the first Garm encounter was too tough - I just ran. I can't imagine how I'm going to deal with this shit. I probably won't, unless I have to to proceed.

Yeah, I couldn't beat those fights easily until about Lv.190 IIRC. You have to be very careful about your battle plan. As for the drakes, I found that firing blast arrows/Glicel would put them into weakened animation pretty quickly. It's tough.

aravuus

Man..pawn inclination is serious. I just hired a gafer's ranger pawn that's a guardian lol. This is..bad.

Just hired a guardian mage AND a guardian ranger, I really gotta go and change them right now. I know it's easy to get confused about the inclination descriptions, but when your pawn is already lvl 22, you really should have noticed that mages or rangers shouldn't have guardian. And I really should learn to check the inclinations before renting.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Kyoufu's has Nexus as secondary, and when I first hired her I also hired one with a Pioneer inclination.

Fuckers up and left me.

My ranger pawn right now is pioneer/scather. She's a beast. I was going to hire another gafer's pawn, Brienne, but good god for level 30 that is one decked out pawn.

xCobalt

My ranger pawn right now is pioneer/scather. She's a beast. I was going to hire another gafer's pawn, Brienne, but good god for level 30 that is one decked out pawn.

Decked out pawns are usually something you wanna avoid. Equipment have a hidden level requirement and if you equip something that's too high, I believe stamina will drain extremely fast.

I'm an expert

Decked out pawns are usually something you wanna avoid. Equipment have a hidden level requirement and if you equip something that's too high, I believe stamina will drain extremely fast.

I stayed away just because I have a feeling it'd own everything anyway. Whoever made the comment about looking like a hobo at level 30 is right. Unless I buy gear from the store, I don't get SHIT from the world. At least not yet.

I'm an expert

Holy fuck..just almost 3-manned, well really 2-manned cause I hired a low level gafer pawn, a chimera cause the pawn I hired to replace that guardian ranger..was a fuckin guardian war! Gahhhhhhhhh..

I stayed away just because I have a feeling it'd own everything anyway. Whoever made the comment about looking like a hobo at level 30 is right. Unless I buy gear from the store, I don't get SHIT from the world. At least not yet.

DD has a weird level and main story requirment for certain equipment showing up at vendors, in addition to the idol quest you can do for them to upgrade their inventories.

I'm an expert

DD has a weird level and main story requirment for certain equipment showing up at vendors, in addition to the idol quest you can do for them to upgrade their inventories.

Which is counter-intuitive to almost all rpgs where vendor equip is usually HOT GARBAGE.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
So I set off for my next quest. Rolled through some really tough bandit camps towards bluemoon tower and came across a huge purple rock monster which I fought day and night for 30 minutes before besting it. Punched the air in celebration before being destroyed by a bandit warrior who was waiting in a cavern. Death. Progress lost and back to camp. Absolutely gutted.

phierce

This guy speaks the truth. After getting several pawns who had Guardian inclination, that's the first thing I check now.

Funny side to this, one of the best pawns I've ever used was a GAF fighter pawn who had no inclination at all. She was a beast.

Eusis

Which is counter-intuitive to almost all rpgs where vendor equip is usually HOT GARBAGE.
That's kinda case by case, though admittedly for games like this it usually IS "hot garbage" whereas most linear-ish JRPGs tend to have great stuff in shops, even if a good chunk can be found in dungeons and the very best is rarely sold from the stores.

I'm an expert

So I set off for my next quest. Rolled through some really tough bandit camps towards bluemoon tower and came across a huge purple rock monster which I fought day and night for 30 minutes before besting it. Punched the air in celebration before being destroyed by a bandit warrior who was waiting in a cavern. Death. Progress lost and back to camp. Absolutely gutted.

Save. Save. Save. I save before and after every "major" thing, and especially every few minutes out in the wilderness.

This guy speaks the truth. After getting several pawns who had Guardian inclination, that's the first thing I check now.

Funny side to this, one of the best pawns I've ever used was a GAF fighter pawn who had no inclination at all. She was a beast.

Yeah I'll take no inclination over guardian. These ones I hired just stood there next to me. Absolutely insane.

That's kinda case by case, though admittedly for games like this it usually IS "hot garbage" whereas most linear-ish JRPGs tend to have great stuff in shops, even if a good chunk can be found in dungeons and the very best is rarely sold from the stores.

I still have bad memories of Dragon Age Origins.

Corsick

I really wish the potions to change inclination were permanent. My pawn just changed his secondary to medicant because I wanted help when I was asleep.

Yeah, guardian being useless needs to be tripple underlined and bolded in red in the OP
I just sifted through a list of mage pawns, found only 4 with the right affinities and spells and ALL of them were guardians:(

Imo if you find a pawn with the right spells and decent stats (1500+ magic or str) in BBI then just stick with it, even if you outlevel it by ten levels, at least it'll won't be sitting there doing NOTHING and at least it'll have learned the weaknesses of enemies you've already beaten.

Changing your pawn often in BBI is the biggest mistake I've made.

Im at those red ethereal glob things after the second shortcut now and the sorc pawn who was guardian refused to attack it, the mage pawn who wasn't at least put holy affinity on himself then PAINFULLY slowly killed them.
3 of the giant dogs spawned while I was already fighting two of those ethereal things so I ended up just teleporting out.

I think I'lll clear the area right before the second shortcut a few times to get some checks and levels (leveling up incredibly fast now) before I try again.

How many days do you have to sleep to get the chests to respawn?

Eusis

I still have bad memories of Dragon Age Origins.
Yeah, for some games it really does come off more as a ritual than something that's intelligently put in, but I have had issues with Bioware game design in the past. They're a lot of fun for being interactive stories with solid gameplay mechanics, but when it comes to pure gameplay there's far better RPGs to pick out.
I really wish the potions to change inclination were permanent. My pawn just changed his secondary to medicant because I wanted help when I was asleep.
Well, I at least wish the commands didn't force drifting, and that there was more customization even if it wasn't gambit-esque customization (not sure that works as well for an action RPG anyway.) I get what they were trying to do and it's a neat idea, but unless you're going to graft Watson onto consoles and have that learn the game based on what you want done it's going to be something of a mess, Secret of Mana AI customization would've worked better here.

EDIT: there's also the problem that sometimes they just shift ANYWAY, I did DP farming with no commands given, and mine switched from Challenger/Mitigator to Scather/Challenger. I guess the idea is forcibly dumping alignments that are in the way of efficiency, but it's still kind of obnoxious. Though I also have a terrible eye for what they're even doing, I usually only notice something's fucked like in the Daimon fight where they're liable to sit around and do NOTHING while I fire burst arrows unless I explicitly tell them to go, even when no one has Guardian inclinations.

I'm an expert

Chimera down. Two things I love about this game:

- The ai's ability to cope with and use terrain. I was kiting this chimera around this rock formation and he knew exactly when/where to jump to come get me. I had to stay on my toes and repeatedly jump off.

- Being able to burn the corpse a big monster.

I need some advice on how to use the rancid beast meat.
I have both shortcuts unlocked and would like to farm some of the dogs and dragons and ogres for exp/drops

I tried putting em down where you fight the wight and dragon, nothing, tried in some other places and it's very hit and miss if it works (usually it doesnt)

Also damn leveling as ranger gives you a LOT of stamina, I wonder if it gives you faster sta regen though, if not it's kinda pointless

dubq

This jump in difficulty in BBI after the Wight and Undead Dragon is pretty fucking shitty. What am I supposed to do, grind and level up and re-run chests to get better gear? I was doing fine until fucking rooms of tornados and one hit kill archers. I think like 3 giant hounds turned up at the same time too. Fuck that.
Holy shit, no kidding. I just came across his room and got massacred.

Eusis

I need some advice on how to use the rancid beast meat.
I have both shortcuts unlocked and would like to farm some of the dogs and dragons and ogres for exp/drops

I tried putting em down where you fight the wight and dragon, nothing, tried in some other places and it's very hit and miss if it works (usually it doesnt)
I've had a lot of luck farming Cursed Dragons
in the outdoor area of the first stratum
, but that was only in a second run, I doubt it'd work on a first run.

So does anyone know what's in the new character edit DLC? Are there editing options that aren't in DA, or are these just DA's options for people who are still playing vanilla?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yeah, guardian being useless needs to be tripple underlined and bolded in red in the OP
I just sifted through a list of mage pawns, found only 4 with the right affinities and spells and ALL of them were guardians:(

Imo if you find a pawn with the right spells and decent stats (1500+ magic or str) in BBI then just stick with it, even if you outlevel it by ten levels, at least it'll won't be sitting there doing NOTHING and at least it'll have learned the weaknesses of enemies you've already beaten.

Changing your pawn often in BBI is the biggest mistake I've made.

Im at those red ethereal glob things after the second shortcut now and the sorc pawn who was guardian refused to attack it, the mage pawn who wasn't at least put holy affinity on himself then PAINFULLY slowly killed them.
3 of the giant dogs spawned while I was already fighting two of those ethereal things so I ended up just teleporting out.

I think I'lll clear the area right before the second shortcut a few times to get some checks and levels (leveling up incredibly fast now) before I try again.

How many days do you have to sleep to get the chests to respawn?

Youre just before the same point as me. Shit gets ridiculous just really suddenly. I feel like I've skipped 4 sections ahead or something.

Have you guys read the monument in BBI when you collect the stones? I've only found 8/11 but it's really interesting.
Puts the game's title in perspective and gives really interesting backstory to the main story, arisen, BBI and pawns and even grigori

euis what's a stratum?
I have absolutely no overview of any of the area names in BBI.
years of lol-lore and tolkien esque garbage in rpgs have trained me to not absorb any of that stuff :p to the point where I can't help it anymore.

RangerBAD

Have you guys read the monument in BBI when you collect the stones? I've only found 8/11 but it's really interesting.
Puts the game's title in perspective and gives really interesting backstory to the main story, arisen, BBI and pawns and even grigori

euis what's a stratum?
I have absolutely no overview of any of the area names in BBI.
years of lol-lore and tolkien esque garbage in rpgs have trained me to not absorb any of that stuff :p to the point where I can't help it anymore.

Yeah, I read it and there's a quest for finding them all.

dosh

The first time I hired a guardian pawn, I thought the game was broken somehow: he stood right next to me the whole time, just being useless and creepy. He had decent stats and this HUGE fucking dragonforged sword which he never used.

I wish I could search pawns by inclination in the rift. That would make things a lot easier.

On another topic, the gear found in the Everfall is insane, but the farming method is really tedious. Actually, the whole farming situation in Dragon's Dogma is tedious: finding items in the Everfall, gathering materials to upgrade weapons (fortunately forgeries also work). I understand that good gear has to be earned, but...

Dragonforging weapons and armors on the other hand is a brilliant idea: it's challenging, fun and actually feels rewarding.

Ala Alba

What augments are generally best for Magick Archer?

I'm thinking Acuity, Articulacy, Attunement, and, what, Clout? Conservation?

Definitely using Sinew and probably Leg-Strength.

Advice?

The thing I don't like about the random loot in treasure chests is that your reward often doesn't match up with what you've accomplished. Nice, I finally beat that room in the Everfall with a bunch of hellhounds and wights, let's open this ornate treasure chest! Oh, a harspud sauce. Just walking through an Everfall room oneshotting dire wolves and snow harpies, open some ricketty looking wooden chest.. wha? Dark Magic Buckler?

At first BBI was very similar to the above. Beat the big eyeball thing, congratulations, here's a potion that will heal some random status ailment. But at least there are places where you're more likely to get something good, like taking down two gorecyclopes.

Oh and as for the difficulty spike after the Dark Bishop/Curse Dragon fight...
I got lucky, relatively speaking, in that on my second try the three Garm spawned as soon as I entered the area, before the big courtyard in a hallway that was just wide enough to take them out. It was still hard as hell and I used two or three wakestones, but it was better than the fight would have been with two gorecyclopes and evil sorcerer pawns healing everything.

If I were to do hard mode, wouldn't it being a new game + make hard mode ultimately easy as shit? I'm at about level 56.

I say that because they have to take into consideration people playing hard mode on a fresh run through?

Also, how do I do a new game + on hard mode for it to register as a second pass of the game? Somebody said you finish the game....boot up your save, go to the options menu, switch it to hard mode, and then exit out and the game will restart on new game + on hard?

I'm an expert

If I were to do hard mode, wouldn't it being a new game + make hard mode ultimately easy as shit? I'm at about level 56.

I say that because they have to take into consideration people playing hard mode on a fresh run through?

Also, how do I do a new game + on hard mode for it to register as a second pass of the game? Somebody said you finish the game....boot up your save, go to the options menu, switch it to hard mode, and then exit out and the game will restart on new game + on hard?

Someone earlier in the thread said that simply starting on hardmode with your ng+ file would register it as an ng+, but I don't know if they actually confirmed that. You can't switch to hard mode from options though. It has to be from the main menu and it will always start you at the beginning.

Absolutely, it will be a lot easier than if you started the game on hard. Until you get to postgame or BBI, in which case the difficulty will spike again. Postgame will even out, but I'm not sure if BBI ever does.

What you need to do is load your save, start your NG+, and then save and exit to the main menu. Select "Hard Mode" and it will turn your NG+ into hard difficulty. It will still count as NG+.

dosh

The thing I don't like about the random loot in treasure chests is that your reward often doesn't match up with what you've accomplished. Nice, I finally beat that room in the Everfall with a bunch of hellhounds and wights, let's open this ornate treasure chest! Oh, a harspud sauce. Just walking through an Everfall room oneshotting dire wolves and snow harpies, open some ricketty looking wooden chest.. wha? Dark Magic Buckler?

How could I forget to mention the harspud sauce. Harspud sauce everywhere, in every single chest. That, or eggs.
At least, I found my Fey Whisper immediatly after fighting the archydra. That, Capcom, was a climax worthy of your game.

Eusis

Absolutely, it will be a lot easier than if you started the game on hard. Until you get to postgame or BBI, in which case the difficulty will spike again. Postgame will even out, but I'm not sure if BBI ever does.

What you need to do is load your save, start your NG+, and then save and exit to the main menu. Select "Hard Mode" and it will turn your NG+ into hard difficulty. It will still count as NG+.
I'm guessing it only ever evens out if you deliberately cheese it, like I said I really am suspecting the last part of BBI you're really supposed to just run past, I can take on the two Dragonkind albeit at heavy resource draining, but I just prefer to run straight through the last part.

DD is filled with so many un-gamey design decisions:

See insurmountable obstacle? Don't fight, run.

Told not to patronize Symone? Patronize her.

Nothing left to do at the end of the game, and nowhere to go?
Kill yourself. The only way to win the game is to stop playing

This game sneaks in quite a few genius design decisions behind all the jank.

RangerBAD

DD is filled with so many un-gamey design decisions:

See insurmountable obstacle? Don't fight, run.

Nothing left to do at the end of the game, and nowhere to go?
Kill yourself. The only way to win the game is to stop playing

This game sneaks in quite a few genius design decisions behind all the jank.

Should have been a samurai class since
Godsbane give you the ability to seppuku.

Ala Alba

Yeah, sorry, that should have been obvious to anyone who knows anything about her type of character.

Re-posting for a new page:

What augments are generally best for Magick Archer?

I'm thinking Acuity, Articulacy, Attunement, and, what, Clout? Conservation?

Definitely using Sinew and probably Leg-Strength.

Advice?

Top Bottom