• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

maomaoIYP

The arisen's shadow says hi.
92214010151491417687758.jpg

aravuus

Goddamn I've completely forgotten how amazing this game is. Just sold my broom to get some carrots lol

More games need a pawn system, I love them

Alucrid

Banned
Would be helpful, ill send a request.

Will do, I hope I didn't sell all the peripats as I sold most of the things in my storage. I've never used them and just found out about their effects.

I'm using a magik archer 70, my pawn is a ranger 70, I have a Mage 120 and a warrior 90.

Fournival (rich guy in Gran Soren) sells them for cheap. I think I bought a couple hundred for like 300k gold or something.

TheIconizer

Neo Member
I feel now like I'm back in the game. I lost my save for the previous game after 160 hours of playtime. Thankfully some of my friends were able to reload my lsot inventory. I didn't mind rebuilding my character in fact I was looking forward to that part. Finally finished the game again. I was able to just walk around in BBI got a couple of good things, but I still need to get stronger. What I really do like is the Ranger set that can be acquired there. I'm really looking forward to expanding my previous journey with Hard Mode and some more Ur-Dragon farming :)

Finally beat that bitch Daimon.

Is the second run of bbi worth it if I'm only interested in story? Cause I heard the difficulty bump is ridiculous and I don't want anymore of that.

For assassin's weapons just use red for swords and shields and yellow for daggers and bows.
You'll need yellow if you want the Shadow or Oblivion set though.

yea, that's not so good. i was fighter/warrior and assassin for most of my BBI time. i'll switch to strider or ranger for my next run.

I've been observing my pawns and I think I know why it's so hard to kill stuff in BBI

The pathfinding/line of sight seems completely broken, my sorc and mage pawn cancel their cast most of the tiime if an enemy moves (not out of range ,just move a few feet)
They end up simply not casting at all
If I can get an enemy to not move at all they cast like normal.

Aggro constantly resets as well (which also means enemies don't stay on the tank and pawns don't stay on enemies)

Pawn will be casting or running to attack (i'm about 5 metres away) and as soon as the enemy or boss moves they'll leave their combat animation, walk up to me and then go back into combat a second later.

This didn't happen in vanilla... how did this crap make it past QA?

edit: yeah, in the circular room where the gore cyclops is there aren't any pathfinding issues and my chars cast just fine even with a moving boss
The bridge where you meet death the second time and the room above where the first minotaur comes are hopelessly bugged, pawns just refuse to cast there and the monster drops aggro every few seconds

Alucrid

Banned
I find it pretty easy to kill stuff in BBI

What do ya'll do with your level 1/2/3 novelties, 2 weapons / armors? Don't feel like wasting RC on them, so they've been piling up in my bank

so does the new BBI gear in dark arisen mean that character attack stats are kinda meaningless?

before dark arisen, I would think its important for a magic user to raise the magick attack significantly, eg taking a lot of ranks of sorcerer which give low HP and low stamina

it sounds like now, its better to take vocations with good stamina and health (noticeable difference) and not really worry too much about the attack/magic attack stats...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've been observing my pawns and I think I know why it's so hard to kill stuff in BBI

The pathfinding/line of sight seems completely broken, my sorc and mage pawn cancel their cast most of the tiime if an enemy moves (not out of range ,just move a few feet)
They end up simply not casting at all
If I can get an enemy to not move at all they cast like normal.

Aggro constantly resets as well (which also means enemies don't stay on the tank and pawns don't stay on enemies)

Pawn will be casting or running to attack (i'm about 5 metres away) and as soon as the enemy or boss moves they'll leave their combat animation, walk up to me and then go back into combat a second later.

This didn't happen in vanilla... how did this crap make it past QA?

The AI has some real issues... and it's why I play most of the time without pawns, or only one.

But I will say this... "guardian" inclination breaks pawns beyond repair. And you should avoid at all costs. If you are going to analyze the pawn AI, be sure guardian is no where in the mix, or it will severely skew results.

I put this on the GameFAQs Dark Arisen board but I wanted to put it here as well since I know some folks (like myself) are traversing BBI without going really far into the main game. There's two treasure chests I've found that can drop a good deal of the buyable Everfall weapons (Carnation, Dragon's Presence, etc.) I'll spoiler it for anyone who doesn't want to know

From the Corridor of Emptiness (room after you kill the Gazer where Barroch is), go to the Fortress of Remembrance. From there, you'll head up the ladder, down the hall and make a right (where you see the Succubi).

Follow the tower to the bottom floor and enter the Tower of Treasons Repaid (the room you needed a Void Key to open), which has a Gorecyclops in it usually along with Succubi and Goblin Shamans.

Two chests in here drop the weapons, one is on the ground floor where the Gorecyclops is running around, and the other is in a path you can reach by going though the opening in one of the barred walls which will take you down the the poisonous red river. The second box will be on the right hand wall, somewhat close to the edge where it turns into a waterfall.

I was hoping I'd find a Dragon's Pain here (as I'm using Bardiche Daggers ATM) but no dice, at least on my end. Here's what I did find in them:

- Carnation (seemed to drop most of all)
- Fey Whisper
- Dragon's Presence
- Unfettered Claw
- Cyclops Sigil
- Dragon's Den
- Bitterblack Gear Lv.2
- Liftstone

Hope this helps someone, and if anyone figures out where I can get Dragon's Pain in BBI please let me know. Thanks.

so this thread seems pretty active.. it's a good sign to me that a game is good. but i've been reluctant to buy the first one since it had major flaws in the gameplay that didn't warrant enough to buy. has this new update of this game a major improvement? did they pretty much fix the major issues with the first game?

Skilletor

so this thread seems pretty active.. it's a good sign to me that a game is good. but i've been reluctant to buy the first one since it had major flaws in the gameplay that didn't warrant enough to buy. has this new update of this game a major improvement? did they pretty much fix the major issues with the first game?

What major issues did you have with the first game?

This plays pretty much exactly the same.

Alucrid

Banned

but...the game play is the one thing we all love

Haha Holy fuck. I was wondering where caxton had disappeared to. That
man on man gay ending. I gave 3 different women an arisens bond, and he is who I ended up with.

without going really far into the main game. There's two treasure chests I've found that can drop a good deal of the buyable Everfall weapons (Carnation, Dragon's Presence, etc.) I'll spoiler it for anyone who doesn't want to know

- Carnation (seemed to drop most of all)
- Fey Whisper
- Dragon's Presence
- Unfettered Claw
- Cyclops Sigil
- Dragon's Den
- Bitterblack Gear Lv.2
- Liftstone

Hope this helps someone, and if anyone figures out where I can get Dragon's Pain in BBI please let me know. Thanks.

Yeah I just got both carnation and fey whisper there. (is fey whisper any good the stats seem very low, carnation is very nice sword though)

Pushing through as far as I could seems to be the answer to my BBI problems... seems like door with the second void key is where the game stops dropping total and utter junk.
I cleared everything before that point twice over the past few days and got nothing to show for it and very little rc, in the 2 hours since I made it past that door I've found over 70k RC , some everfall gear and a few bits that are much better than everfall stuff.

I 've resorted to only going into BB at night so I can benifit from the str bonus, that puts me at 1300 str so I can actually put a dent into enemies and don't have to rely entirely on my broken sorc pawn and his fickleness with casting or not casting.

Also for those in BBI: check hay stacks! seriously, I found one of the hidden statues (20 needed for a quest) in one.

Haha Holy fuck. I was wondering where caxton had disappeared to. That
man on man gay ending. I gave 3 different women an arisens bond, and he is who I ended up with.

God dammit. That's the worst.

I'm just going to sell my arisen's bonds from now on. They're good for absolutely nothing.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Where you get your info..IGN or sumtin? The gameplay is the strongest aspect of this game. Stop whining and start buying.

Can you switch to hard mode at any time then back to normal?

Do you get better loot in hard mode?

If you switch to hard mode you have to restart the game, albeit with your stats and items intact, so no. The loot isn't particularly better, but you get a lot more money drops.

emag

Yeah it sucks how they handled hard mode, but I really enjoy the mode because of the stamina consumption. It makes casting fully charged spells, for example, really risky.

I'm around level 110 now in hard mode and the damage enemies deal out is still frightening. I left BBI (after a visit to the the pawn sorcerers + condemned cyclopses room) and just went to regular endgame/postgame stuff -- there are plenty of enemies that can still kill in one or two hits.

That said, endgame/Everfall bosses go down in seconds. I wish that hard mode somehow recaptured that early game feel (like your first Chimera or Ogre fight back when you were level 10-ish), but it just makes enemies do ridiculous amounts of damage.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Can you switch to hard mode at any time then back to normal?

Do you get better loot in hard mode?

The hard mode is kind of confusing.

If you don't have any file from before, hard mode is simply a brand new game and character. If you have a character you've already started, choosing hard mode will start the game from the beginning but with your stats/items remaining. The only way to have a game you've already started and start a brand new hard mode run is to either delete your current save or move it to a usb/the cloud and then delete.

Hard mode changes the amount of damage enemies do to you and the amount of stamina it takes to use skills, but everything else is essentially the exact same. The only difference is enemies drop a lot more bags of coins. Doing hard mode with anything but a fresh character doesn't make much sense to me since the early game will be just as easy (assuming you're a decent level with decent gear) but it's more than likely that end game monsters still pose enough of a challenge.

I'm around level 110 now in hard mode and the damage enemies deal out is still frightening. I left BBI (after a visit to the the pawn sorcerers + condemned cyclopses room) and just went to regular endgame/postgame stuff -- there are plenty of enemies that can still kill in one or two hits.

That said, endgame/Everfall bosses go down in seconds. I wish that hard mode somehow recaptured that early game feel (like your first Chimera or Ogre fight back when you were level 10-ish), but it just makes enemies do ridiculous amounts of damage.

Coincidentally a very informative post. So yeah, hard mode even at the end is essentially don't get hit.

So I purified a lvl 3 gear item, and 2 lvl 2 armor items , used godsbane, chose retry and then I got the exact same items? Tried a third time and same thing happened

I thought you said you can get different ones by reloading?

They both look really cool at least (farseer's cap and cursed king's belt)

@ worldrevolution ,doesn't the increased stamina cost drive you insane then? I already hate having to go into the inventory to use mushrooms when I'm shooting weakspots

xCobalt

So I purified a lvl 3 gear item, and 2 lvl 2 armor items , used godsbane, chose retry and then I got the exact same items? Tried a third time and same thing happened

@ worldrevolution ,doesn't the increased stamina cost drive you insane then? I already hate having to go into the inventory to use mushrooms when I'm shooting weakspots

The items you get are based on you and your pawn's vocations. If you're looking for caster items, switch your vocations to mage/sorcerer and purify the item. Switch to the appropriate vocation for whatever type of item you're looking for. Each weapon or armor you purify has only 3 outcomes (based on the vocations). I believe novelties and gear are the same no matter what.

I'm an expert

Just beat my first non-story related cyclops. Felling your first big monster always feels fantastic.

Yeah when I did mine I was like omgomgogmogmg.. although I'm still not sure how to bring them down like in the one outside the encampment. As a ranger I smacked it in the eye and that made it go crazy, but I remember my first time as a fighter I think I jumped on its leg? and then it actually fell over. Have never been able to replicate that though.

The items you get are based on you and your pawn's vocations. If you're looking for caster items, switch your vocations to mage/sorcerer and purify the item. Switch to the appropriate vocation for whatever type of item you're looking for. Each weapon or armor you purify has only 3 outcomes (based on the vocations). I believe novelties and gear are the same no matter what.

So having a sorcerer arisen and a warrior pawn will reuslt in a relatively equal split between sorcerer and warrior gear?

Did you switch vocations between the tries?

Doesn't it save immediately after you purify them?

No.

I got Aelinore in the ending.

SUPER awkward.

Look at it this way, little miss "Call Me Maybe" is better than Asalam. Or Pip, some dude on GameFAQs was mega salty when he got him after a whole game of going for Maddy. XD

EDIT: Ha, my brother beat me to it. We've got a running joke about Aelinore's random affection. At least she's a lovable little crackpot.

xCobalt

So having a sorcerer arisen and a warrior pawn will reuslt in a relatively equal split between sorcerer and warrior gear?

Not exactly sorcerer and warrior but classes that are similar or a combination as well. You'll get mage, sorcerer, fighter, warrior and mystick knight equipment.

Btw my main fighter pawn is the only male but it doesn't really seem to matter with elder ogres, they mostly attack whomever did dmg to them last.

Skilletor

The easy way to avoid Princess Call Me Maybe is to not talk to her when you first get the prompt that she's in the garden. Saves you the whole mess associated with her.

Man, that was SO weird:

Aelinore quest spoilers:

So she has me come to her room, the duke assaults her, I save her, I'm thrown in the dungeon after Aelinore turns on me, I get out of the dungeons and the game acts like nothing happened. I was afraid to go back to the castle thinking I'd get attacked, but nope. We're all good!

Eusis

Btw my main fighter pawn is the only male but it doesn't really seem to matter with elder ogres, they mostly attack whomever did dmg to them last.
Yeah, I think it mattered more for ogres in the early game. Later on you can dish out so much damage even Elder Ogres seem to forget their preferences in favor of just smashing whoever's trying to kill them.
So she has me come to her room, the duke assaults her, I save her, I'm thrown in the dungeon after Aelinore turns on me, I get out of the dungeons and the game acts like nothing happened. I was afraid to go back to the castle thinking I'd get attacked, but nope. We're all good!
Hahaha, yeah I had heard about that before getting the game, though I guess
being "sent away" could be a retaliation of sorts, especially as wherever you were going to campaign was probably far from the the dragon. Would've made more sense just to kick you out of the manse, considering you too valuable an asset (for now) to just throw in the dungeon though. Though I guess you would've looked (more) psychotic trying to help her afterwards.

Spoilers for vanilla!
Why did the duke choke his wife anyhow, because the dragon was back and he had to sacrifice his beloved last time and didn't want to do it again so he figured he's just 'put her down' or something?

Man, that was SO weird:

Aelinore quest spoilers:

One of the main reasons I avoid this quest line is to avoid all the weird dissonance that comes from
betraying the duke and having absolutely no consequences because of it

Top Bottom