• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Skilletor

Quick question guys - is there any benefit to maxing out a vocation.

I changed to Magic Archer - and had 4 - 5 levels in Strider when I did it. Have I disadvantaged myself? Presumably I'll miss out on some of the skills etc. that are accessible in the Strider class - that I could just change back and grab later on?

Also - the move that Strider has with daggers.. it's an uppercut and then... a powder charge? How do I know if I've performed that correctly. I've tried the button follow up but I seem to just be uppercutting people and nothing else happens.

More vocations is more skills and augments.

You'll see an explosion for the second part of that move. It's very obvious when you've landed it.

dosh

Killed the chained up cyclops and then went to different area and killed a cockatrice. Is BBI basically Everfall 2.0?

I was hoping for some visual variety but so far it's just been dark ruin after dark ruin.

Daimon is so annoying, this "expansion" is not really evoking the same feeling I had for the vanilla version. The run to him was just ridiculous throwing enemies at you to pad the game out. Difficulty is there just to be there imo, even easy is hard.

Gonna call it a night and start up in the morn.

Really? Damn. I started playing DD's main quest last week, just reached the Everfall for the first time yesterday... and it was a huge let down after so many awesome hours fighting cyclops and chimeras in the forest at night in a maelstrom of vfx.
The game suddenly got annoyingly brutal and stupid.

I was hoping Dark Arisen would feel a bit like the quarry (which I loved).

Ken

I honestly kind of liked Everfall for farming gear. Everything was neatly laid out in compartments so I always knew where to go when I wanted a certain item. Paying 40 bucks for an Everfall 2.0 though is a little disappointing. I mean, I've only played an hour of the new stuff so maybe I'll change my tune by the end. Would have been cool if BBI was an island you could explore the surface of (creepy forests and beach areas) and the bottom; would make it a little easier to stomach the similar-looking environments I already spent hours in in vanilla endgame.

GorillaJu

On the Deep Down discussion, I would be thrilled if they kept pawns. If they included multiplayer, I'd like player + pawn, player + pawn, rather than pawns and players being interchangeable.

Seriously, I love the pawn system. It's one of a kind.

Eusis

Really? Damn. I started playing DD's main quest last week, just reached the Everfall for the first time yesterday... and it was a huge let down after so many awesome hours fighting cyclops and chimeras in the forest at night in a maelstrom of vfx.
The game suddenly got annoyingly brutal and stupid.
The Everfall just needs to be broken in, after that it's fairly painless. BBI can just get excessively stupid, though I guess the intent later on is to just run past everything.

Dresden

Yeah, love the pawns. No other game this gen nails that feeling of crawling through a dungeon with your party. And it's a genuinely unique idea for multiplayer interactions!

Ideally Capcom will set up two ongoing fantasy franchises (Dogma and whatever Deep Down turns out to be). Ideally.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
God... this game continues to deliver.

BBI board quest reads "Kill a Fire Drake for the king blah blah blah ..." go finish up what i'm doing in the isle and and jump over to the mainland. Couple wakestones, leftover blast arrows and health items from Daimon runs ... so on and so forth.

I get to Fate... walk in and two fire drakes await me.

One assassin vs. 2 fire drakes = 25 minutes of bobbing and weaving and super stinger shots and intimate gambit shots to the chest and I ding a new quest complete screen. Blood pumping, adrenaline has me standing up pacing ... soooooo good.

All of this after spending a day running around murdering everything with the BitterEnd as an insanely strong warrior. Just... so baller.

Still need chestpeices of all sorts. Sinner-betrayer/shadow/Hellfire ... Did we ever find out if you for sure needed to complete the quests to further your loot table?

On the Deep Down discussion, I would be thrilled if they kept pawns. If they included multiplayer, I'd like player + pawn, player + pawn, rather than pawns and players being interchangeable.

Seriously, I love the pawn system. It's one of a kind.

I do hope if Deep down is like spiritual successor of DD they will make a bigger world.
I think they mentions atleast 2~3 more provinces in the storyline.

dosh

The Everfall just needs to be broken in, after that it's fairly painless. BBI can just get excessively stupid, though I guess the intent later on is to just run past everything.

It gets better after some trial and error. I'm still a bit disappointed by the place, just rooms after rooms filled with uber enemies. That's cool because the combat in the game is ace and very spectacular, but I guess I loved the exploration more. I guess I'll just try to get as much gear as possible and call it a day.

On that topic, what's the best armor I can get as an assassin or a sorcerer? I'm thinking twilight set for the assassin, but there are probably better pieces of equipment I can loot in the Everfall. What's DogmaGAF experience on this?

I do hope if Deep down is like spiritual successor of DD they will make a bigger world.
I think they mentions atleast 2~3 more provinces in the storyline.
Cool. I didn't see any infos besides what VGLeaks said (Deep Down basically being DD2). Is there a thread about this on Gaf?

I honestly kind of liked Everfall for farming gear. Everything was neatly laid out in compartments so I always knew where to go when I wanted a certain item. Paying 40 bucks for an Everfall 2.0 though is a little disappointing. I mean, I've only played an hour of the new stuff so maybe I'll change my tune by the end. Would have been cool if BBI was an island you could explore the surface of (creepy forests and beach areas) and the bottom; would make it a little easier to stomach the similar-looking environments I already spent hours in in vanilla endgame.

I really disliked everfall, ur dragon is a terrible glitchy dull fight and you can do the other rooms in under 6 hours, from there on it's just farm and chase the carrot (which I refuse)
I'm very grateful that the game is 95 percent DD and 5 percent everfall in landmass and content.

Been in BBI for about 12 hours, I'm not even at the second shortcut yet and it's my favorite part of the game alongside the story missions from vanilla (though I miss the open world aspect, but it's a nice bit of variety)

@ morsel, I really hope they don't shoehorn multiplayer into this game... I'd rather they add some gambit system for pawns and focus on pawn AI

Not every game has to have multiplayer, and almost every single game where they add coop has its level design, gameplay design , mechanics and pacing SHAT on to accomodate it.

Yeah, Pawn AI needs to get better and not some forced multiplayer. It's good to have something different. They should really expand on the Pawn system instead.

It gets better after some trial and error. I'm still a bit disappointed by the place, just rooms after rooms filled with uber enemies. That's cool because the combat in the game is ace and very spectacular, but I guess I loved the exploration more. I guess I'll just try to get as much gear as possible and call it a day.

On that topic, what's the best armor I can get as an assassin or a sorcerer? I'm thinking twilight set for the assassin, but there are probably better pieces of equipment I can loot in the Everfall. What's DogmaGAF experience on this?

Cool. I didn't see any infos besides what VGLeaks said (Deep Down basically being DD2). Is there a thread about this on Gaf?

Nothing confirmed about deep down.
But the moment the trailer started i recognized it as a DD2 and i wasn't even a fan then only last week the game won my heart :p.
The style just resonated with Dragon dogma.

TheIconizer

Neo Member
Yeah, Pawn AI needs to get better and not some forced multiplayer. It's good to have something different. They should really expand on the Pawn system instead.

I absolutely agree with you on this. I really like the pawn system and it has a great potential. I hope it gets expanded as well, there are a lot of improvements that they can make to this.

Ken

I really disliked everfall, ur dragon is a terrible glitchy dull fight and you can do the other rooms in under 6 hours, from there on it's just farm and chase the carrot (which I refuse)
I'm very grateful that the game is 95 percent DD and 5 percent everfall in landmass and content.

Been in BBI for about 12 hours, I'm not even at the second shortcut yet and it's my favorite part of the game alongside the story missions from vanilla (though I miss the open world aspect, but it's a nice bit of variety)

@ morsel, I really hope they don't shoehorn multiplayer into this game... I'd rather they add some gambit system for pawns and focus on pawn AI

Not every game has to have multiplayer, and almost every single game where they add coop has its level design, gameplay design , mechanics and pacing SHAT on to accomodate it.

I've never had Ur Dragon glitch out on me when farming him up to 17 million gold. Dull, sure. I don't know, maybe I like how short the rooms are and it doesn't take long to get to the arena-like boss fights.

So far, BBI feels like Everfall chambers but stretched out a lot and it's a little boring. The only new things I've fought were
chained Cyclops and extra large eyeball thing.
I'm also not really sure what the structure of BBI is...do I just go around clearing rooms? Anyways, so far the best moment was killing the latter boss, walking out the door, and ending up back at the shore; was really pretty and a nice break from being trapped inside dungeons. I really wish I could explore the topside of the isle.

DC1

Can I use the godsbain trick (chest hunting) as a MA? And if so, how?

I see folks reference it a lot....and now I need to try it!

Ken

Can I use the godsbain trick (chest hunting) as a MA? And if so, how?

I see folks reference it a lot....and now I need to try it!

Walk up to a chest, save, open chest, if not what you want use the Godsbane and reload.

I've never had Ur Dragon glitch out on me when farming him up to 17 million gold. Dull, sure. I don't know, maybe I like how short the rooms are and it doesn't take long to get to the arena-like boss fights.

Let's count the ways:
-framerate will drop to single digits when the dragon uses magic, the only time the framerate dropped like this in the main game is during the shadow fortress ballista part.

-camera when climbing on ur's back and the inside of his legs is completely broken, it shows you everything but your character
Climbing between his wings swings the camera below the boss and all you see is his belly.

-the climbing controls cannot cope with a changing camera angle, if the camera sways around (which it does wildly, all the time because of the above problem) and you hold a direction your char will constantly change direction

-when he flies and swoops down he gets stuck in mid air or on ruins/walls at the egde of the battlefield, he went into walk animation 100 metres up in the air for me and spent 20seconds stuck behind the edge of the arena

-it's tedious because while you climb your pawns tend to die just as you get to one of the hard to reach weak spots, considering that climbing this boss is torture because of the broken camera on this particular fight it's something you couldn't PAY me to do a second time.

I love the main game and all I can say is thank fucking god the rest of the game isn't anything like the Ur dragon.

Ken

To be fair, the camera and climbing bugs out on me even when climbing monsters that aren't Ur Dragon.

Never had him getting stuck off screen before so I guess I've had better luck with him. Framerate issues sure.

aravuus

Just started a new strider character in Dark Arisen. Is it just me, or wasn't there an auto-aim or aim assist setting for bows?

Also, is easy too easy compared to normal? I've had some real difficulties with normal when I first played Dragon's Dogma, and it was kind of fun, so I'd rather not play easy if it actually makes the game too easy. Guess what I'm asking is pretty weird, so, uh... Does easy affect anything else but the damage the enemies deal to you?

Just started a new strider character in Dark Arisen. Is it just me, or wasn't there an auto-aim or aim assist setting for bows?

Also, is easy too easy compared to normal? I've had some real difficulties with normal when I first played Dragon's Dogma, and it was kind of fun, so I'd rather not play easy if it actually makes the game too easy. Guess what I'm asking is pretty weird, so, uh... Does easy affect anything else but the damage the enemies deal to you?

Don't play on easy, the game is nicely balanced on medium until midway then becomes too easy in the last half, there are only two difficulty spikes (two fights) and they both occur in early game, one can be avoided the other is about hitting the right part of the enemy.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Auto aim for bows would be terrible. =(
The bow classes are done really well.

aravuus

Yeah, now that I think of it, easy would make the game boring. To me, half of the game is exploration, the other half is the difficulty. I usually don't like hard games, but I really like DD's difficulty.

And I did get 100k starter RC in DA for owning the original game so I can rent a broken pawn if I really wanted to.

Auto aim for bows would be terrible. =(
The bow classes are done really well.

I agree, I was just asking since I was really sure there was a setting for that. Must be thinking of some another game. But ya, the aiming feels really good in this game.

DC1

Base auto aim is associated with the MA ( but at the sacrifice of range)

Its my understanding that difficulty only effects monster/enemy damage output.

maomaoIYP

I have found most of the new BBI equipment taken from here and in case anyone is as OCD about collecting equipment as I am, here are all the locations.
Lvl 2 armor chests
- Forsaken cathedral: from the 2nd shortcut, go left into room where you fight the dark bishop and the cursed dragon. One of the chests in the secret alcove above this room has a chest which can give lvl 2 armor.
- The bloodless stockade: from the 2nd shortcut, go into Rotwood, then into the Forgotten Hall, and then the bloodless stockade. Instead of taking the shortcut drop into the sewer section, use the stairs down. At bottom of the stairs walk into the winding section of the sewers and take a left. Jump into the broken grill to the chest.
Lvl 3 armor chests (besides Daimon's chests)
- Midnight Helix: from Duskmoon tower go into Ward of Regret and continue on to exit into Midnight helix. Run straight out into the circular room and up the stairs. Instead of following the stairs upwards to the left, jump off into the right, which will lead to a room with lots of bones and 2 chests, one gives lvl 3 armor.
- The Fallen City: this is the area just before Daimon's room. Near the end of this section there is a narrow path to Daimon's room. Before crossing the pathway, face Daimon's room and jump over the broken wall of the last house on the left and you'll see the chest.

Farming lvl1 and lvl2 weapons and armor: the following creatures drop them. Garm, gorecyclops, goreorge, living armor, eliminatorn. Garm is the easiest to farm imo, since you can summon them with rancid meat in the first area from Olra's location.

Purifying cursed items will result in items based on the arisen and your main pawn's vocation. Save before you purify so you can godsbane and change vocation to retry.

Lvl 3 armor:
Fighter: Nether helmet, traitor's armor, sinner's gauntlet, betrayer's greaves, hellfire set
Mage: Grave set, carrion set
Strider: Shadow set, oblivion set
Blasphemer's Cloak, Hellfire Cloak

Some lvl 2 and lvl 1 armor can be bought from Barroch after the quest to find 3 cursed dragon horns.
Lvl 2 armor:
Fighter: Immortal set
Mage: Adept set
Strider: Trophy set
Others (some of which are vocation specific): Dragonwing set, Cursed King's Belt, Bonds of the Dragon, Apostate's Anklet, Assault Boots, Delta Guard, Crested Armguards, Blessed Sleeves, Sovereign's Mantle

Lvl 1 armor:
Patterned Gambeson, Mistletoe Circlet, Silk Tights, Divine Embrace, Adept's Mantle, Nomad's Mantle

Stuff I haven't found in cursed items yet (but should be lvl 2)
Celestial Armor - buy from Barroch after quest to find 3 cursed dragon's horns
Farseer's Cap - buy from Barroch after quest to find 3 cursed dragon's horns
Mercenary Slogs - ?
Novice's coat - ? (I'm guessing this is bought from a vendor somewhere in vanilla)

Stuff which aren't found as cursed items
Persecutor's Mask - rare drop from eliminators
Foreign waistguard, hinterland waistguard, extrinsic waistguard - buy from Mathias at Greatwall, or pick up during 1st round in BBI
Wizarding gloves - buy from Mathias at Greatwall, is also a quest reward
Worker's Gloves - pick up during 1st round in BBI
Traveller's Hood, Vest - buy from armor shop in Cassardis

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah, now that I think of it, easy would make the game boring. To me, half of the game is exploration, the other half is the difficulty. I usually don't like hard games, but I really like DD's difficulty.

And I did get 100k starter RC in DA for owning the original game so I can rent a broken pawn if I really wanted to.

I agree, I was just asking since I was really sure there was a setting for that. Must be thinking of some another game. But ya, the aiming feels really good in this game.

Either way I think you should definitely do normal mode. I found the beginning challenging and then it just sort of evened out and then..I think..it was about to get much easier. It's actually why I restarted in hard mode. Just had my first chimera fight in hard mode, and while it wasn't omgwtfbbq hard, it had just enough sense of danger that the chimeras in normal mode were missing.

aravuus

Either way I think you should definitely do normal mode. I found the beginning challenging and then it just sort of evened out and then..I think..it was about to get much easier. It's actually why I restarted in hard mode. Just had my first chimera fight in hard mode, and while it wasn't omgwtfbbq hard, it had just enough sense of danger that the chimeras in normal mode were missing.

Haha yeah, I am, I am. I just wish I could change it to hard mid-game, as you said, the you get ridiculously powerful somewhere halfway through the game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I Have a kick ass mage (very high magic out put) @ lvl 127.

Regarding Daimon 1.0.
What class are you using?

I've killed him twice, once as a Mystic Knight which was an enjoyable challenge he didn't just let me stand back and cannon spam him but he wasn't impossible either, the second time as a ranger with blast arrows and buffed to about 3300 over all damage (magick + strength on my bow) which was HILARIOUS.

Anyone have tips for Daimon and if anyone on psn has a high level pawn like 100+ would they mind if I sent them a friend request?

If you are playing the PS3 version, you can use my pawn (she's a lvl 200 Ranger). PSN ID is on the list in the OP.

Tips for Daimon....If you want to farm the Cursed Items Lv3, the best way is Ranger/Assassin/Magick Archer + Blast Arrows + Conquer's Periapt + Fivefold/Tenfold Flurry/Sixfold Bolt.

I'm an expert

Haha yeah, I am, I am. I just wish I could change it to hard mid-game, as you said, the you get ridiculously powerful somewhere halfway through the game.

Yeah it sucks how they handled hard mode, but I really enjoy the mode because of the stamina consumption. It makes casting fully charged spells, for example, really risky.

If you are playing the PS3 version, you can use my pawn (she's a lvl 200 Ranger). PSN ID is on the list in the OP.

Tips for Daimon....If you want to farm the Cursed Items Lv3, the best way is Ranger/Assassin/Magick Archer + Blast Arrows + Conquer's Periapt + Fivefold/Tenfold Flurry/Sixfold Bolt.
Would be helpful, ill send a request.
Easiest way is the 4 x 20% strength boost items, ~200 blast arrows to be safe, five / ten fold flurry (fury?), liquid vim if needed.
Will do, I hope I didn't sell all the peripats as I sold most of the things in my storage. I've never used them and just found out about their effects.
I Have a kick ass mage (very high magic out put) @ lvl 127.

Regarding Daimon 1.0.
What class are you using?
I'm using a magik archer 70, my pawn is a ranger 70, I have a Mage 120 and a warrior 90.

Purifying cursed items will result in items based on the arisen and your main pawn's vocation. Save before you purify so you can godsbane and change vocation to retry.

Can you elaborate on this please?

Why would I change vocation to retry? What is the exact effect of your vocation on the results?

I feel like I hit a wall now, I ran into the bandits, minotaur and cursed dragon a while after the first shortcut but my dmg is simply too low to break their treshold, took me 15 mins to kill a minotaur and equally long to kill an ogre.

The damage treshold was a really stupid idea, what a pointless gearcheck that gets in the way of what could be skillbased fights.

I really need to get stronger daggers, a stronger longbow and stronger sword.
I hired a sorc pawn with 1900 magic attack and he at least does some damage (if he ever gets to cast)

I reran allthe areas up to the first shortcut in an attempt to gear up but came up empty handed so I'm not sure what to do.

Ive killed 4-5 garms but no item drops just materials, the summoning item doesn't seem to work most of the time either(where can I get more of them?)

dosh

Is there a way to get the chests in the Everfall chambers to restock? I thought three days were needed for them to refill, so I slept several times at the inn and when I got back, the chests in Chamber of Hope were still open and empty. I guess I'm doing something wrong.

Why would I change vocation to retry? What is the exact effect of your vocation on the results?

I feel like I hit a wall now, I ran into the bandits, minotaur and cursed dragon a while after the first shortcut but my dmg is simply too low to break their treshold, took me 15 mins to kill a minotaur and equally long to kill an ogre.

The damage treshold was a really stupid idea, what a pointless gearcheck that gets in the way of what could be skillbased fights.

I hired a sorc pawn with 1900 magic attack and he at least does some damage (if he ever gets to cast)

The vocations are separated by colors.

Red - Warrior/Fighter
Yellow - Strider/Ranger
Blue - Mage/Sorcerer

Each cursed item have 3 predetermined outcomes dependending on what is your arisen and pawn vocation (color wise).

So, if you and your pawns are using red vocations, the outcome of the cursed item will be different if you and your pawn are using, let's say, blue vocations.

aravuus

Yeah it sucks how they handled hard mode, but I really enjoy the mode because of the stamina consumption. It makes casting fully charged spells, for example, really risky.

I'll probably do my next playthrough on hard, should be interesting. I'll stick with normal for now, hard could be too hard for me after all, and I already got my pawn and all set up.

Come to think of it, if someone on X360 wants a (very) low level tank to accompany them, give my Masa a rent! I know the name Masa is a bit boring and nobody will rent it, but it's a funny and a really laid back name.

maomaoIYP

I reran allthe areas up to the first shortcut in an attempt to gear up but came up empty handed so I'm not sure what to do.

Ive killed 4-5 garms but no item drops just materials, the summoning item doesn't seem to work most of the time either(where can I get more of them?)

If you want weapons/armor for fighters/warriors/mystic knights switch your arisen and pawn's vocation to fighter/warrior.
For mage/sorc equipment switch to mage/sorc.
For strider/ranger/magick archer switch to strider/ranger (this gives MA's bow or daggers, use mage/sorc if you want the staff)

Rancid meat can be bought from Barroch, but I think it also requires completion of the 3 cursed dragon horn quest. You can pick them up from 2 chests inside Midnight helix though.

I'm not 100% sure, but it might be possible that the cursed item drops from creatures might be increased upon beating BBI, I only started farming equipment after I beat BBI once. This is because it was very apparent that chests got a huge upgrade in loot quality after the 1st round of BBI.
I don't know much about the actual damage threshold thing, I beat my first round in BBI with mostly just a regular dragonfored ascalon.

so assassin will be yellow and red?
For assassin's weapons just use red for swords and shields and yellow for daggers and bows.
You'll need yellow if you want the Shadow or Oblivion set though.

I feel like my pawns have gone retarded or like the terrain resets their aggro over and over and over in BBI... my fighter is scather and guardian
Every time an enemy goes around a corner in tight spaces they seem to reset.
Spent 10 mins with my sorcerer casting exactly two spells, he just stood there despite me spamming the go command.
My mage is trying to climb him (what) , my scather+guardian fighter main pawn isn't using his taunt at all, ever and most of the time also just stands around right next to the elder ogre.

Top Bottom