• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

MilkBeard

Damn, just beat the Undead Dragon in BBI. That was pretty crazy. I was level 61, and it felt like I really shouldn't have been able to win, definitely underpowered. But I ended up exploiting it in the small pathway where I could get it to come over, knock it over, get it caught on fire, rinse and repeat for an hour. There was a close call where all my pawns turned against me from its breath, but I was able to let them die and revive them.

I went back to the chained up Gorecyclops earlier in BBI but I still can't quite beat it yet. That particular battle really exploits the shitty AI of the pawns. They can't help but constantly stand right where he attacks. I felt like screaming because of how stupid they are in that fight. I'll have to return when I've leveled up a bit.

joecanada

Damn, just beat the Undead Dragon in BBI. That was pretty crazy. I was level 61, and it felt like I really shouldn't have been able to win, definitely underpowered. But I ended up exploiting it in the small pathway where I could get it to come over, knock it over, get it caught on fire, rinse and repeat for an hour. There was a close call where all my pawns turned against me from its breath, but I was able to let them die and revive them.

I went back to the chained up Gorecyclops earlier in BBI but I still can't quite beat it yet. That particular battle really exploits the shitty AI of the pawns. They can't help but constantly stand right where he attacks. I felt like screaming because of how stupid they are in that fight. I'll have to return when I've leveled up a bit.

haha an hour !!! I too have found exploits like that from time to time but don't have quite the stomach for one hour battles that you do sir!

yes the pawns are frustratingly inept at finding the right range... they often sit back and wait for you or if you command them "go" they charge in, even if they are in full attack range already... often a sorc pawn will run to within 10 feet of a dragon and start to cast bolide... lol ... in the AI credit, a dragon will not often let you do such a thing so my job is to try to distract it generally.... Sometimes the AI is pretty amazing one of my pawns blinded an ogre, and he walked right off of a bridge to his death lol.

Thanks once again to all gafers using my pawn, I didn't think I was going to have enough RC to purify everything but once again everyone stepped up and I even got a level 3 gear.... thanks! Also as I am in NG+ i will be using everyones low level pawns now so get ready and let me know if any of you new people would like any gear...

On a side note, even after reading the posts here, I somehow thought that teh ur dragon was the end boss so i finished everfall , then ooops!! never did fight the ur dragon yet... however I also thought ng+ was harder but it isn't the enemies are very easy... so I'll probably just rush to the end of game... also you can get to ur dragon I see from the beach...

My goal is still to be able to walk through fallen city in BBI post - daimon... need some more levels.... and to beat the online ur dragon...

Shengar

Pawn is at it worse when you up against gorecyclops and the likes. They just ended up jumping all around like crazy (maybe to avoid gorecyclop attack, I don't know) while they master stomped to death. I really wish mage/sorcerer pawn could focus on incantating spell, and would obey to disrupt it midspell when I told them to.

MilkBeard

Yeah it's funny, especially in that cramped room, the mage pawn would walk about ten feet away from the gorecyclops, and then start casting heal or something while still standing within range, while I'm sitting just a bit further in the safe area of the passage way smashing the command button for them to come to where I am.

I'm sitting there like, wtf? Stupid pawn. You will die. AGAIN.
You just end up being a pawn babysitter in that fight.

It's really an interesting battle though, cause the thing is massive, and you have all those walkways above. You can't scale the Gorecyclopse either, so you either have to attack on the ground or up above, but the thing is rampaging so you can't always get a good shot at it.

MilkBeard

I just faced the two armored knights that are in the room just before you get to the Dark Bishop... that battle gave me a lot of trouble. I was able to survive a long time, and it's easy to run away, so I went ahead, then back.

It was really funny, because at that moment, one of those extremely powerful Ogres spawned in the room, so I had to deal with all three running around. That was really something, ha ha. I ended up leaving and coming back, and retrying the battle until I could figure out a good method.

I ended up using this magic item that casts a high level Earth attack, which really wrecked the two knights, I was surprised. Then I found out that the really fast attack Cutting Wind of the Strider/Assassin/Magic Archer classes works really well in throwing off the defensive knight that always casts heal when his health gets low. I kept running back and forth with that attack and finished him off before he could even begin a new attack.

I had recently switched my vocation to Magic Archer from Assasin, and I was really surprised with how cool this class is. I happened to have a few good magic bows already in my possession, and a pair of chill daggers which boost magic. I really like the 6-fold bolt, the attack that hits multiple targets at once, and the arrow that illuminates light for a period of time.

EDIT: There's also this rising flame/dagger leap attack that's really cool and works well as a combo attack, and also as a sort of evade from enemy attacks. I use it places, for example, in the tight area with the eliminator in BBI when he attacks, I can literally keep using the attack to vault over to the other side of the enemy, attacking him, and causing him to turn toward me each time, canceling his own attack for some time.

Shengar

I don't remember struggling against the pair of Golden and Silver Knight. Well my level was 80-100 at the time, but I playing on hard. Maybe because my first run was as Assassin and I could just Masterful Kill them to death.

MilkBeard

I don't remember struggling against the pair of Golden and Silver Knight. Well my level was 80-100 at the time, but I playing on hard. Maybe because my first run was as Assassin and I could just Masterful Kill them to death.

Yeah I'm like level 65 ish now, but it was mainly because that one knight kept healing, and I wasn't doing enough damage to take it further because he would spam a heal spell when his health got low. But that's when I figure out about the high level spell item, and then cutting wind.

But yeah, I should experiment with masterful kill, I hear it's hella powerful against enemies like that. You basically just wait for them to attack and do massive damage. But I switched to magic archer recently, and my magic I think is a little bit on the weak side because I haven't used any magic classes yet. Still, it works enough to get me to the point I've gotten. But I should probably level up as a sorcerer for a while to get my magic up.

I wish there was an npc that let you exchange cursed BBI gear of one tier for another of the same tier. I don't care if the exchange fee costs gold and RC.
Got an over-abundance of bitterblack weapon lvl 3 and would want to exchange for all bitterblack armor lvl 3.

My pawn survived a Hammer Stomp from an Eliminator on hard. I was surprised. We have the same gear, but different enchantments on 2 pieces. She has slightly more hp and defense. Maybe it does 5k damage regardless of defense? For me on the other hand, its always been fatal.

My arisen survived a chomp from a condemned Gorecyclops on normal. That thing took 4k hp off me. Barely survived. I saw it chomped a mage that had 2.8k hp and she survived too? Maybe its percentage based? Her gear wasn't that great. Don't want to be chomped by one on hard.

Shengar

Hard Mode damage and stamina cost increase only affect The Arisen. Your pawns even your Main Pawn will be treated as usual, which mean they won't die from attack that normally might sent your Arisen to death's door. And no, you don't want to scale a Condemned Gorecyclops on Hard, let alone chomped by it.

Soriku

So, like, is there no way to adjust aiming controls? I'm one of the people who plays this game (and most games) with an inverted camera on both X and Y axes. But I have the problem when using a bow that my up/down aiming controls end up being reversed if the camera is inverted. If I set the Y axis camera on normal I can aim fine, but this then screws up my regular up/down standard camera control >_<

kuroshiki

Ok. so uh...

anyone need lv 200 pawn? currently scather/challenger, primarily magician but right now changed to strider with gold rare rust bow.....

IvorB

I shamelessly and brazenly abuse the terrain on BBI, especially with dragons. If I can stand where they can't hit me and nail them with magic I will do that. Even casting High Bolide from the other side of walls to hit them on the other side. There is no honour on Bitterblack Isle, only death.

ZenaxPure

Haha, I was Mercedes for a couple of hours at level 200. No one would hire me in her gear. Sad panda.

I was actually going to hire her and switch my pawn back to sorcerer to strike a balance but when I jumped into the rift you had actually changed her back to ranger haha.

I was actually going to hire her and switch my pawn back to sorcerer to strike a balance but when I jumped into the rift you had actually changed her back to ranger haha.
I can switch her back to a fighter. Either with her gear or assorted sin and hellfire set.
I don't even have the RC to upgrade my dragonforge equipment. Mercedes' equipment it is.

Anyone know if Morbidity works with Immolation? I was trying it out for a few sessions and it seemed liked it did do slightly more damage, but it doesn't show up in the status screen after I get Daimon burning as a buff.

ZenaxPure

I can switch her back to a fighter. Either with her gear or assorted sin and hellfire set.
I don't even have the RC to upgrade my dragonforge equipment. Mercedes' equipment it is.

You can set her to whatever you want to be honest, I have the gear at this point to make my pawn competent at any vocation. As for RC I will do some runs for your pawn here in a bit.

I thought Ur will be going down today, and I'm mistaken. Again. :mad:
Maybe it's time to farm Death then.
Ur is at 3.5 bars of hp. I was surprised the last gen died within a day. So depending on how many people do Ur, 2 days at the longest.

You can set her to whatever you want to be honest, I have the gear at this point to make my pawn competent at any vocation. As for RC I will do some runs for your pawn here in a bit.
Thanks. Taking your pawn for a few runs too.

Shengar

Ur is at 3.5 bars of hp. I was surprised the last gen died within a day. So depending on how many people do Ur, 2 days at the longest.

3.5 Already? It seems Gamefaq people already asleep as I monitor their thread and it still 4.2/3.99. I hope it'll down today afternoon (local time) so I can get home today.

Shengar

How is that possible? o_O

Maybe because I'm godbaning and not reenter Chamber of Lament from outside. I rest in Cassardis and hope it's 0.7 like the other.

EDIT: Fucking finally! My first Ur-Dragon kill! After so much frustation with 1.4 Ur-Dragon, Grace finally come. Didn't manage to kill him in first try (almost, just almost, two hearts left) but wonderfully success on the second try. Got Ascalon (again) and Heaven's Key, this'll be great asset against future Ur-Dragon.

joecanada

Maybe because I'm godbaning and not reenter Chamber of Lament from outside. I rest in Cassardis and hope it's 0.7 like the other.

EDIT: Fucking finally! My first Ur-Dragon kill! After so much frustation with 1.4 Ur-Dragon, Grace finally come. Didn't manage to kill him in first try (almost, just almost, two hearts left) but wonderfully success on the second try. Got Ascalon (again) and Heaven's Key, this'll be great asset against future Ur-Dragon.

wow sweet, so you godbane then just reload? I'll be joining this hunt soon, in the meantime I went ng+ and didn't realize that it resets everything even BBI, so I gotta clear out BBI again....
met death this time around and hit him with a few hard draws with dragons ire and he ran like a little girl.... stupid death, come back and fight like a real man.
Gorecyclops still took 20 minutes though but I climbed up and GORE+ him to half his health with dragons dogma, his spikes hurt but you can still do it... gored him right in the back of the neck for about 2 minutes straight....

Nice.
I was doing a Daimon run and didn't think it would die at 1.4 bars left. Can't believe I missed it lol. Wanted Ascalon and I already have Cursed Bite. I kept seeing Ur's hp bar fluctuate between .9 bar, 1 bar, 1.10 bar, 1.2 and 1.4 bars of hp. Last time it was at 1.4 bars and I figured I was safe to come back in an hour. I guess not. Next time then.

Heaven's key is the best weapon against Ur. Crazy damage with Conqueror and Demon's Periapt. Gonna try Ur-Dragon offline.
Well that was a joke. Nearly killed it in the first attempt. I spent more time searching for its hearts and looting than damaging it. I got another Heaven's key.

Shengar

Nice.
I was doing a Daimon run and didn't think it would die at 1.4 bars left. Can't believe I missed it lol. Wanted Ascalon and I already have Cursed Bite. I kept seeing Ur's hp bar fluctuate between .9 bar, 1 bar, 1.10 bar, 1.2 and 1.4 bars of hp. Last time it was at 1.4 bars and I figured I was safe to come back in an hour. I guess not. Next time then.

Heaven's key is the best weapon against Ur. Crazy damage with Conqueror and Demon's Periapt. Gonna try Ur-Dragon offline.
Well that was a joke. Nearly killed it in the first attempt. I spent more time searching for its hearts and looting than damaging it. I got another Heaven's key.

I have two Ascalon, obviously only need one. I can give it to your pawn if you want it. I wonder which one does the most most damage: Ascalon with Dire Gouge, or Heaven's Key with Thousand Kisses.

johnsmith

remember me
So I screwed up and didn't get a moonshimmer pelt before beating Daimon the first time, and giant saurian sages are a lot rarer post-daimon. Can anybody help me out and give me one? My PSN is BalbanesBeoulve

I'd really appreciate it. It's ridiculous how many armors use this to rarify.

I have two Ascalon, obviously only need one. I can give it to your pawn if you want it. I wonder which one does the most most damage: Ascalon with Dire Gouge, or Heaven's Key with Thousand Kisses.
Yeah, I want it. I can trade for the spare Heaven's key if you want another.

ZenaxPure

So I screwed up and didn't get a moonshimmer pelt before beating Daimon the first time, and giant saurian sages are a lot rarer post-daimon. Can anybody help me out and give me one? My PSN is BalbanesBeoulve

Yeah moonshimmer pelts have been holding me back, I feel like I need like a thousand of them. To be honest though I hadn't looked into the easiest way to obtain them, didn't realize beating Daimon made it harder (though it makes sense). Maybe I should beat the game again and go into another NG+ to farm some. Might think about it when the RNG gods give me the last couple of pieces of armor I need.

Yeah moonshimmer pelts have been holding me back, I feel like I need like a thousand of them. To be honest though I hadn't looked into the easiest way to obtain them, didn't realize beating Daimon made it harder (though it makes sense). Maybe I should beat the game again and go into another NG+ to farm some. Might think about it when the RNG gods give me the last couple of pieces of armor I need.
I got some Moonshimmer Pelts. I'll gift it to you guys.

Cool, I'd appreciate it. Pretty much all the best magick archer gear uses moonshimmer pelts, it's pretty annoying. I'm running your pawn through some more stuff right now too, I figure you need the RC haha.
I do haha. The RNG gods haven't been kind to me. Gifted both your pawn and johnsmith the moonshimmer pelt.

I made another account because I wanted a second custom pawn and, man, BBI is a whole different experience when you're not lvl200.

I entered in the low 70's an now I'm lvl110, most of those levels were from popping Pilgrim's Charms against every large monster and some cursed dragon farming -- you get XP like crazy in BBI, I think I leveled 3 or 4 times by defeating Daimon.

The Living Armors from the Catacombs quest were a bitch, had to hire 2 Sorcerers to double-bolide them. I should've hired those two when I fought Daimon instead of the two useless mages that did nothing but TRY to heal the entire HOUR I was fighting him; just me and my Strider pawn slowly whittling down his health.

Now I have to go back to my main account and hire my new pawn to get some gear/RC. Stupid workarounds, they should've just let us create an additional pawn with every NG+, I'd have about 25...

ZenaxPure and Shengar, I did a Daimon run with blessed flower killing most things onto chests containing BBI lvl 3 armor. How much RC did you guys get?

Sweet!. Thanks! I appreciate it. I got a ton of rift crystals too, like 40k. Did you use my pawn a lot or do they just add up really fast?
Just once. That was mostly from Daimon. Took your pawn again on another run with blessed flower, 625k exp x2 from his 2nd form. That's gotta be a lot of RC.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well I just hit a wall on my new character in Hard mode. The ogre in the Quarry has an attack that OHKOs me (warrior, so it's really hard to dodge). I got him down to a sliver of health at some point but he got me with some lunge kick that OHKOed at full health. Several retries and still no luck. Bah, I'm debating whether to keep trying or just come back later, but I'd like to unlock that tunnel as early as possible. :\

Soriku

Do you guys try to look for every treasure in the overworld or do you just run through until you notice one? I've been trying to find every chest but it seems like a waste of time since you just get useless items, and the world is too big to do this all the time. Plus all the chests are just random loot...

ZenaxPure

ZenaxPure and Shengar, I did a Daimon run with blessed flower killing most things onto chests containing BBI lvl 3 armor. How much RC did you guys get?

I straight up got 1 million RC from you (the cap for one run). I guess I should start bringing double xp items with me when I take pawns out lol.

Shengar

Well I just hit a wall on my new character in Hard mode. The ogre in the Quarry has an attack that OHKOs me (warrior, so it's really hard to dodge). I got him down to a sliver of health at some point but he got me with some lunge kick that OHKOed at full health. Several retries and still no luck. Bah, I'm debating whether to keep trying or just come back later, but I'd like to unlock that tunnel as early as possible. :\
Playing as meele exclusive vocation on Hard mode is nigh suicide if you play from scratch. Everything will literary one hit you (though I suppose both fighters and warriors could take a hit from grunt unlike strider). And Ogre pretty nasty in that regard since their berserk mode is absolutely dangerous.
Do you guys try to look for every treasure in the overworld or do you just run through until you notice one? I've been trying to find every chest but it seems like a waste of time since you just get useless items, and the world is too big to do this all the time. Plus all the chests are just random loot...
After got a bunch of Hapsurd Juice from Everfall chests, I stopped caring on Gransys chest lol
Those chests don't worthed it since BBI loot will dwarfed them by any mile
Just once. That was mostly from Daimon. Took your pawn again on another run with blessed flower, 625k exp x2 from his 2nd form. That's gotta be a lot of RC.
I do a similar run before (the one which proppel me from level 150 to whooping infinite) with Blessed Flower almost intact all the time (except in some moment where it got wilted and rest place/Barroch checkpoint is far). Santiako's pawn received almost 1 million RC, so I expect the number should be around that though I've yet to checked it now.

ZenaxPure

Did 3 Daimon runs, got 4 lv. 3 armors, all 4 were capes :|

Time to give those away I guess. Speaking of which anyone need level 3 weapons? I'm back up to 10 again.

ZenaxPure

I sent you some stuff.

Had a really weird problem during the whole thing though, one of the trips I made the server or game freaked out and all my friend's pawns came out but the pawn owner's name was mixed up for all of them. Really shitty picture since all I had available to take one with was my vita of all things.

sgu2JXj.jpg

While you can't really make it out in the picture my favorite part is for some reason there was 2 Saoris there, but, neither of them had Bryan's name listed (and is instead over on Pia). I hope the weapon I sent you from that specific trip actually made it lol.

johnsmith

remember me
Man, Daimon's 2nd form kicked my butt. How should I fight him as an Assassin? Cheat and use blast arrows or do some old fashioned face stabbing?

Top Bottom