• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My pawn on my main PSN is very popular lately. Of course he's a high level ranger with all gold-rarified gear, but usually people prefer the hawt chix, so I'm glad. Just logged in yesterday and saw an even more absurd amount of summons and RC from various people. Noice. He looks badass too. :)

However, my alt PSN's main pawn is somehow very unpopular. A male mage that I just turned into sorcerer, low level (about 30 atm) but he's got red-dragonforged gear that I gifted him, he looks way cool too, you'd think he'd get some summons, but nope, other than Shengar and myself, no one got him at all. Sniff, poor Karil. :(

This whole time, the Abyssinal Outfit was in my inventory at the inn. Someone from gamefaqs told me the Black Cat doesn't sell it. That explains a lot. Off to dragonforge it.
Now debating if I want to do a speed run or not haha.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I haven't got that far yet so I don't know :(
But on the bright side you've completed all the game has to offer with the plat ;)

Edit: since I know everyone is dying to know what happens...the Epic conclusion!

Drake Tears only work in the Everfall, is it not? It doesn't have any effect in BBI.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
My pawn on my main PSN is very popular lately. Of course he's a high level ranger with all gold-rarified gear, but usually people prefer the hawt chix, so I'm glad. Just logged in yesterday and saw an even more absurd amount of summons and RC from various people. Noice. He looks badass too. :)

However, my alt PSN's main pawn is somehow very unpopular. A male mage that I just turned into sorcerer, low level (about 30 atm) but he's got red-dragonforged gear that I gifted him, he looks way cool too, you'd think he'd get some summons, but nope, other than Shengar and myself, no one got him at all. Sniff, poor Karil. :(

Say... if I create alternate account on my PS3 for Dark Arisen, that means that alternate account must also be registered to PSN, yes?

Aaaah pain in the arse.

Even with the three tears, Everfall loot is still shit. Hapsurd Juice all the way!

Yeap. Not gonna bother with scouring Everfall for them.

So if you want the game to properly give RCs to the people whose pawns you are taking, do you need to dismiss their pawns first from the rift stone or is resting at the inn enough?

Can anyone answer this?

Oh, add me too if you want, folks, my PSN is LaughingBanana. My main pawn is a level 200 mage with over 3000 magic, and I can gift stuff like Heaven's Key or Volant White or whatever if you folks want them.
Dismiss their pawn and rest at an inn. They'll receive the RC once they rested as well.

Just found out the Abyssinal Bracers gold dragonforged give 84% sleep resist. I can wear that instead of my sleep ring now or give it to my pawn if she needs it for Death hunting as a ranger/strider.
Gonna make Mercedes as a ranger or strider for now unless someone needs her as a fighter.

Garland7G

Dismiss their pawn and rest at an inn. They'll receive the RC once they rested as well.

Just found out the Abyssinal Bracers gold dragonforged give 84% sleep resist. I can wear that instead of my sleep ring now or give it to my pawn if she needs it for Death hunting as a ranger/strider.
Gonna make Mercedes as a ranger or strider for now unless someone needs her as a fighter.

She should stay a fighter until I release her right? Or will she switch when I rest? Not that I plan on resting soon, just got to the Sparyard ;)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Say... if I create alternate account on my PS3 for Dark Arisen, that means that alternate account must also be registered to PSN, yes?

Aaaah pain in the arse.
Yeah, if you want to play online, at least (but I'm assuming you want that obviously). It's not that bad. I made an alt PSN a long time ago to have additional save slots for Demon's Souls and Dark Souls back in the day. ^^

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What's the most anyone has payed for your Pawn? mine was 114,000 RC

1.000.000 RC, from the very gentleman ZenaxPure :)

image.jpg

Yeah, if you want to play online, at least (but I'm assuming you want that obviously). It's not that bad. I made an alt PSN a long time ago to have additional save slots for Demon's Souls and Dark Souls back in the day. ^^

Hmmm.... the allure of creating a new character is strong, I admit....

Great game ! I didn't finish bitterblack isle yet but so far I've enjoyed this game a lot !
Aaaaaand I'm a pedophile... my love interest was the Fournival's daughter !! lol

ZenaxPure

Yeah when someone else mentioned it in this thread it made me think I could just play through the game 2 more times on separate accounts and then have 3 pawns with the exact abilities and gear I'd want at any given time.

Every day I think about it half of me thinks it's the best idea ever and the other half thinks it's the fucking craziest idea ever.

1.000.000 RC, from the very gentleman ZenaxPure :)

Is 1.000,000 the cap? Never seen or heard anyone exceeding 1 million RC either.

Yeah when someone else mentioned it in this thread it made me think I could just play through the game 2 more times on separate accounts and then have 3 pawns with the exact abilities and gear I'd want at any given time.

Every day I think about it half of me thinks it's the best idea ever and the other half thinks it's the fucking craziest idea ever.
People have done it. Usually just 1 account though. 2 more accounts. You essentially have your very own party.

ZenaxPure

Is 1.000,000 the cap? Never seen or heard anyone exceeding 1 million RC either.

People have done it. Usually just 1 account though. 2 more accounts. You essentially have your very own party.

Yeah, I assume it's probably pretty common for long term players but I don't know if I want to jump down that hole. Another 200 levels man (or 400 I guess)? It sounds like the most awesome thing and the worst thing at the same time.

And yeah 1 million is the cap. Kinda weird that there is a cap on it since I think you can just release the pawn and rehire it to reset it, right?

Garland7G

Great game ! I didn't finish bitterblack isle yet but so far I've enjoyed this game a lot !
Aaaaaand I'm a pedophile... my love interest was the Fournival's daughter !! lol
I just finished last night and killed Daimon! If there was ever anyone I wanted to kill more than Daimon it was Fournival's daughter...and the person I wanted to kill most of all was that damn jester, I swear, this playthru he's toast.
1.000.000 RC, from the very gentleman ZenaxPure :)..
Damn, wonder how long he had your pawn for that!

ZenaxPure

Damn, wonder how long he had your pawn for that!

A long time. It was at a point where this thread was far less active and I think Banana and Bryan were the only people at that point who still posted and had pawns that were around my level. I was still at the point where BBI was kinda challenging so I wanted to go with pawns I knew were good.

Of course it helped that he had the exact same ability spread I used when I had my pawn as a mage. Was set up perfectly for my party.

Garland7G

A long time. It was at a point where this thread was far less active and I think Banana and Bryan were the only people at that point who still posted and had pawns that were around my level. I was still at the point where BBI was kinda challenging so I wanted to go with pawns I knew were good.

Of course it helped that he had the exact same ability spread I used when I had my pawn as a mage. Was set up perfectly for my party.

You can add me, I'll be playing. PSN is Pablo_Klutch. I just got to lvl 95 last night, but I plan to get over 100 when I get on tonight ;)
I believe I'm in the same situation you were in now. I would like to take some lvl 200 pawns instead of random dipshits lol. But, that may be a massive xp hit no?

ZenaxPure

You can add me, I'll be playing. PSN is Pablo_Klutch. I just got to lvl 95 last night, but I plan to get over 100 when I get on tonight ;)
I believe I'm in the same situation you were in now. I would like to take some lvl 200 pawns instead of random dipshits lol. But, that may be a massive xp hit no?

Well in my case I was already nearing 200 at the time and not many other active posters here were, hence why I used his for so long. I'll add you, but, I've been playing less lately so I wouldn't expect a ton of RC from me haha. Unless you really need it I can go do a quick run.... Though if I do end up making another account and pawn I guess I will be needing random pawns again.

I am really tempted to do it, god help me.

What's the most anyone has payed for your Pawn? mine was 114,000 RC
Most I got was 440k RC.

I kept missing with my blast arrows during the Grace Period for Ur Dragon. It left with no pixels of health left. Then grace period expired. Pretty pissed. Well, wasted several hours today for that fight. Those hearts on the wing tips can really screw up your chances. I didn't get those hearts there the last time I did it.

Shengar

Most I got was 440k RC.

I kept missing with my blast arrows during the Grace Period for Ur Dragon. It left with no pixels of health left. Then grace period expired. Pretty pissed. Well, wasted several hours today for that fight. Those hearts on the wing tips can really screw up your chances. I didn't get those hearts there the last time I did it.

I'm pissed by that too. Just ended up getting contribution reward all because fucking wing tip hearts. I guess the best chance to hit'em with blast arrow is when Ur-Dragon casting holy furor. That's also the perfect time to shoot Maker's Finger.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Most I got was 440k RC.

I'm pissed by that too. Just ended up getting contribution reward all because fucking wing tip hearts. I guess the best chance to hit'em with blast arrow is when Ur-Dragon casting holy furor. That's also the perfect time to shoot Maker's Finger.

See, a Magick Archer wouldn't have this sort of problem since he can just Hunter Shots those heart with impunity.

Man, Magick Archer is awesome.

See, a Magick Archer wouldn't have this sort of problem since he can just Hunter Shots those heart with impunity.

Was an assassin this time. Last time I was a Magick Archer, but didn't have those hearts on the wingtips at all.
It won't. Hunter Bolt is a very poor choice against GP Ur, since only one bolt will lock on to each heart, meaning most of them won't lock on to anything and will just go to waste. If you're playing as a MA, you'll be far better off using Immolation + Hundred Kisses.
Someone from gamefaqs said this. Never tried Hunter Bolt, but it looks like it would target a lot of shit, which is good.
Around 250,000ish RC was the most I got, Which reminds me, if anyone has some lvl 2 armor sitting around send them my way. I need some delta guards bad ;) All I seem to be getting is trophy boots.
I sent you one. Will send Rena another once I start unlocking those shortcuts again. Too tired from Ur today.

Shengar

Ninefold Bolts smaller missile targeting system sucks, or they just hate the bigger bolt since they can't agree to hit the heart and attack Ur-Dragon dead part instead. As for Hunter Bolts, I think the damage is too small to make any difference since the tip wing heart could only be hit by one bolt.

And Magick Archer can't wield Maker's Winger. So they sucked against Ur-Dragon with wingtip heart.

Just started this, pretty interesting.

My GF saw it and wants to play as well. Can two people be playing this and have different saves in the game or will she overwrite my stuff?

Ninefold Bolts smaller missile targeting system sucks, or they just hate the bigger bolt since they can't agree to hit the heart and attack Ur-Dragon dead part instead. As for Hunter Bolts, I think the damage is too small to make any difference since the tip wing heart could only be hit by one bolt.

And Magick Archer can't wield Maker's Winger. So they sucked against Ur-Dragon with wingtip heart.

Magick Archer is the vocation for Ur fighting. Hunter Bolt, Grand Scension, Immolation, Explosive Rivets, and near-necessary lock-on.

Ninefold is so powerful it doesn't matter if only the first shot hits, with the Dragon's Tempest or Blackwing bow, it's destroyed in a few hits. Hunter Bolt is the best -- and really, the only thing -- to use against the Ur-Dragon. Here's what I do:

Kill the NPC's and stand on the raised mound bit on the right of the arena (when you enter from the Everfall). From this angle of being on his side, any shots meant for his body will hit the wing instead, doing massive damage -- usually destroying the heart in just 3 or 4 volleys. Just switch sides to get the other one.

The best time to individually target the wing tips is when he rears up to do his giant breath attack. I usually start with destroying the tail > wings > head > everything else -- get the tough stuff out of the way first.

Soriku

Question, I bought Hundred Kisses for my Arisen who is an Assassin. Will it carry over to Magick Archer since MAs can also use daggers?

yamo

I'm about lvl 28 and no one have hired my pawn yet.. suppose I shouldn't have made him a short ugly guy. I still love him though. :(

ZenaxPure

Question, I bought Hundred Kisses for my Arisen who is an Assassin. Will it carry over to Magick Archer since MAs can also use daggers?

Yes, but, it's not for that reason. There is no "carrying over" for active abilities based on weapon types, each class has its own unique ability list. However, similarly colored classes will often learn a lot of the same abilities. Hundred kisses for example can be learned by all 4 of the yellow classes where as Easy Kill is something you can only learn and use as an Assassin. Basically each vocation has its own unique ability list, but if there is any overlap in that list the game only forces you to buy the ability once.

That said, there is no real way to know what abilities each class can learn without looking at the wiki or simple trial and error with buying something then changing classes to see if they have it as well.

joecanada

in my experience yes skills that cross over will be unlocked on new vocations that you take... but don't quote me on it.

Question - so I have figured out that pawns stuff doesn't get dragonforged? I hadn't really thought about it till recently but I have had to switch into my pawns gear to dragonforge them, is this correct?

Also if anyone has any of the rare drop item from pyre saurians? crimson stone i think? I never seem to get any thanks...

...and a big thanks to whoever gave me the level 3 cursed weapon, was my first one and i got framae blades on first try!
which instantly turned me from dragons dogma plus Gouge into framae blades plus gale harness and hundred kisses!!! big ups to all in this thread some great content here.

ZenaxPure

Question - so I have figured out that pawns stuff doesn't get dragonforged? I hadn't really thought about it till recently but I have had to switch into my pawns gear to dragonforge them, is this correct?

That is correct, kind of a bummer really if both of you have something that needs to be upgraded.

Shengar

Magick Archer is the vocation for Ur fighting. Hunter Bolt, Grand Scension, Immolation, Explosive Rivets, and near-necessary lock-on.

Ninefold is so powerful it doesn't matter if only the first shot hits, with the Dragon's Tempest or Blackwing bow, it's destroyed in a few hits. Hunter Bolt is the best -- and really, the only thing -- to use against the Ur-Dragon. Here's what I do:

Kill the NPC's and stand on the raised mound bit on the right of the arena (when you enter from the Everfall). From this angle of being on his side, any shots meant for his body will hit the wing instead, doing massive damage -- usually destroying the heart in just 3 or 4 volleys. Just switch sides to get the other one.

The best time to individually target the wing tips is when he rears up to do his giant breath attack. I usually start with destroying the tail > wings > head > everything else -- get the tough stuff out of the way first.
Ninefold Bolts main bolt is pretty strong alright, but it only work only when the said Ur-Dragon have more hearts than just on two wingtip and one paw. Obviously with few heart, those wingtip become more tanky than it should be as I'm didn't have any problem defeating christmas tree Ur-Dragon as it wingtip heart went down as fast as child playing with christmas tree.

Another difficulty is fighting Ur-Dragon with few heart on the wingtip is finding the right angle to hit him. I wasted most of my time searching the right angle to hit him. Perhaps next time I will try to take the mound you mentioned for better angle. Also I don't know if Immolation can hit Ur-Dragon. I though it can't as there is no animation/spilled purple blood when you latch onto his heart with immolation on.

joecanada

How does hard mode work? Does it restart or just pick up where you are?

Also if anyone happens to have any siren tailfin or mottled leather I can't seem to get any!

Psn: JoeCanada
Pawn - hellfire, sorcerer

Well. I never had Death spawn on me with another carrion feeder before. An elder ogre decided to join the party. This is gonna be interesting.

Jathaine

Ninefold Bolts main bolt is pretty strong alright, but it only work only when the said Ur-Dragon have more hearts than just on two wingtip and one paw. Obviously with few heart, those wingtip become more tanky than it should be as I'm didn't have any problem defeating christmas tree Ur-Dragon as it wingtip heart went down as fast as child playing with christmas tree.

Another difficulty is fighting Ur-Dragon with few heart on the wingtip is finding the right angle to hit him. I wasted most of my time searching the right angle to hit him. Perhaps next time I will try to take the mound you mentioned for better angle. Also I don't know if Immolation can hit Ur-Dragon. I though it can't as there is no animation/spilled purple blood when you latch onto his heart with immolation on.

I find that Ninefold works well regardless, despite it having a 'lock-on' feature, I find that more often than not, the rest of the hits will go wherever the main hit goes and if you hadn't noticed... that one usually flies straight so you can aim it pretty well even if the wingtip hearts are the last ones.
If you're fighting the Ur-Dragon intelligently you'll be making sure that doesn't happen anyway... but you can still wreck the thing on MA. Its definitely a great class to fight Ur on (though truth be told, every class other than Warrior or Fighter is REALLY good for Ur)
Also remember that MA can always swap to a staff and do some holy focused bolts if you can get the holy enchant from a pawn. That works wonders on Ur (and is actually my preferred method amongst all classes in the game which is why I prefer to kill it on Sorc/MK/MA/Mage)

Garland7G

Well. I never had Death spawn on me with another carrion feeder before. An elder ogre decided to join the party. This is gonna be interesting.

Death always seems to ohk my grp so I don't think I'm strong enough to take him yet (almost 100) so in that situation, I'd run my ass off ;)

How does hard mode work? Does it restart or just pick up where you are?

Also if anyone happens to have any siren tailfin or mottled leather I can't seem to get any!

Psn: JoeCanada
Pawn - hellfire, sorcerer

IIRC, Hard Mode starts you over from the beginning while keeping all of your stuff.

Death always seems to ohk my grp so I don't think I'm strong enough to take him yet (almost 100) so in that situation, I'd run my ass off ;)

Death always OHK's no matter your level. It's very annoying to lose a pawn by way of falling/knocked off a ledge, then enter the Rift and rehire, only to have Death spawn in the next room and wipe them out again.

Arken2121

Hey guys, just bought the game and have been streaming it for a while. Love it but I've been getting lost quite frequently. Anyone have tips?

Garland7G

Are there any hydra's in NG+? I just noticed I don't have the headhunter trophy, even though I could have sworn I got it during the main quest at the encampment. From the wiki it looks like post-game only :/

@Ark go slow, and keep checking around boards for quests. The world seems easy to get lost in at 1st but once you've played for awhile, you'll notice its not that big after all. Also once you get to gran soren get some ferrystones from Fornival in the royal? district or from the blackcat shop so if you get lost you can fast travel back to the city.

Arken2121

Are there any hydra's in NG+? I just noticed I don't have the headhunter trophy, even though I could have sworn I got it during the main quest at the encampment. From the wiki it looks like post-game only :/

@Ark go slow, and keep checking around boards for quests. The world seems easy to get lost in at 1st but once you've played for awhile, you'll notice its not that big after all. Also once you get to gran soren get some ferrystones from Fornival in the royal? district or from the blackcat shop so if you get lost you can fast travel back to the city.

I'll try, just it seems like a giant world.

Top Bottom