• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Sanctuary

Do you still die if you double jump/float right before you hit the ground after falling from a lethal height? I hated that in vanilla.

I'd assume it was never intended for you to be able to jump off of any height and then simply erase the inertia. Even in most pen and paper RPGs, casting levitate before hitting the ground usually doesn't work. You need to slow your fall speed first. I could see how float/levitate might be cast while falling, but how would you double jump back up after falling so rapidly?

The fact that huge enemies can clip through walls and hit you, and squeeze through small doors they have no business being able to fit through, makes it hard to fight strategically using the environment.

worked for me in vanilla, heh

6E9j8.jpg

Skilletor

Do you still die if you double jump/float right before you hit the ground after falling from a lethal height? I hated that in vanilla.

I thought this was done intentionally to prevent you from reaching areas you shouldn't (and because it just makes sense).

branny

I'm just messing around, though you'd think floating for three seconds a couple inches above the ground would erase any inertia you had while falling for a safe landing. The late double jump thing doesn't make sense at all, on the other hand, but the game does still let you catch some air on the way down. :p

Enemies still hit pretty hard and most of them can still one-shot you in the beginning, but stamina depletes a lot slower now.
Oh, gotcha. It's still gonna be a blast, I'm sure.

so good to see this game come alive again. with its original release on the heels of skyrim & amalur, i think it kinda got passed over by many, & i always thought that was unfortunate, especially since, having put lots of hrs into all of'm, i consider it to be easily the best of the 3. definitely a game that's very worthy of being given a second chance, & both the timing & price of this re-release seem about perfect...

pahamrick

Nope. Tied to the user. On PS3 at least.

It's possible on PS3, it requires using the PS3 Save Resigner and changing the ID's to match your console, much like how it works on 360.

If anyone wants to add me on PSN for free pawn usage, my id is The_Spectralist.

Eusis

It's possible on PS3, it requires using the PS3 Save Resigner and changing the ID's to match your console, much like how it works on 360.
Wait, does that mean just copying to another profile will work? If I make secondary characters I'd kinda prefer to do that.

pahamrick

Wait, does that mean just copying to another profile will work? If I make secondary characters I'd kinda prefer to do that.

I'd assume so. I took a friend's DD save, then used a save I had to get the information I needed and just resigned the DD save with it. DA loaded the save fine, and added the bonuses.

Ah nice, thanks.

I'd assume it was never intended for you to be able to jump off of any height and then simply erase the inertia. Even in most pen and paper RPGs, casting levitate before hitting the ground usually doesn't work. You need to slow your fall speed first. I could see how float/levitate might be cast while falling, but how would you double jump back up after falling so rapidly?
Seems to work just fine for the TF2 Scout. :D

How could you even double jump to begin with?

Kyoufu

If anyone wants to add me on PSN for free pawn usage, my id is The_Spectralist.

Resigner? I'm guessing that's CFW only?

pahamrick

Resigner? I'm guessing that's CFW only?

Nope! Works fine on OFW PS3's. I'm running the latest OFW and didn't have a problem. I should note while you can resign the original DD saves, as of yet you can't resign DA saves because they haven't added it yet.

Kyoufu

Nope! Works fine on OFW PS3's. I'm running the latest OFW and didn't have a problem. I should note while you can resign the original DD saves, as of yet you can't resign DA saves because they haven't added it yet.

Interesting. What happens with trophies? If I have a plat on current account and transfer it over, do I get another?

pahamrick

Interesting. What happens with trophies? If I have a plat on current account and transfer it over, do I get another?

No idea, I only used it so I could get the bonuses in DA since I originally played DD on the 360. I guess it could work, but Sony could also ban so I personally have no desire to find out.

burgerdog

Dammit all, this fucking ogre has one shot me twice when it's enraged at 10%, lv75 is nowhere near recommended here. Sure, you feel powerful against trash, but as soon as something of worth pops out, say hello to one shots.

Can anyone who's doing BB Isle and around 50-75 post their Magick and Strength values?

I want to compare them with other people who are doing a lot of damage to enemies in their experience so I can see whether I'm just really low or if there's something else going on.

For my 63 Assassin I have

Dragon's Dogma - 1053 STR total / 206 MAG total
Fey Whisper - 813 STR total / 206 MAG total

I do really low damage to larger enemies and bosses, like if you pay attention you can barely see the bar move per hit but in other videos it seems people and their pawns have no problem doing big chunks of damage per hit on larger enemies/bosses when they are lower level than me.

I'd assume so. I took a friend's DD save, then used a save I had to get the information I needed and just resigned the DD save with it. DA loaded the save fine, and added the bonuses.
Damn that talk about the resigner is really something I wanted all along!
I suppose no one knows where to get a vanilla DD save (PAL version) at the beginning of the game so I can test this for myself? ^^;

I really would like the bonuses but didn't have DD nor a friend who bought it :(

Dammit all, this fucking ogre has one shot me twice when it's enraged at 10%, lv75 is nowhere near recommended here. Sure, you feel powerful against trash, but as soon as something of worth pops out, say hello to one shots.
is it the ogre on the bridge? Stand near the edge, try to dodge when he charges and off the bridge he goes...insta-kill
Fey Whisper - 813 STR total / 206 MAG total.
I'm a level 89 Fighter, STR is over 1800 with Dragon's Dogma. Over 2000 when i switch to warrior with Wounded Heart.

Is your equipment Dragon Forged? Ever little bit helps. I'm not sure what videos you're watching, Bitterblack Isle is tough. It does seem like some enemies have really high defense, even if they don't have a lot of health bars like *monster spoiler*
Minotaurs

burgerdog

Can anyone who's doing BB Isle and around 50-75 post their Magick and Strength values?

I want to compare them with other people who are doing a lot of damage to enemies in their experience so I can see whether I'm just really low or if there's something else going on.

For my 63 Assassin I have

Fey Whisper - 813 STR total / 206 MAG total

I do really low damage to larger enemies and bosses, like if you pay attention you can barely see the bar move per hit but in other videos it seems people and their pawns have no problem doing big chunks of damage per hit on larger enemies/bosses when they are lower level than me.

lv75
1044 str / 686 mag

I tickle big monsters. Help.

I say don't sweat the number crunching to max out strength. Just play what feels fun.

I probably have one of the most unoptimized characters because I dipped into every class at some point except the spell casters.

Sagitario

I ready the first few pages and didn't find an answer.
Is there a huge difference between versions? Which one has the best performance (framerate, texture, tearing, etc.)?
Also, is there an online component (co-op mission maybe)?

Nah, that one fell down, haha, two have as a matter of fact. This one is in an enclosed hallway, unfortunately.
Yikes, that's no good. You must be a lot farther than me. Don't know what to tell you other than try to get some hits in and run away. It's not worth trying to get melee damage on them when they're enraged. The last bar of health can be really tricky, especially when they're doing that very damaging drop kick.
I probably have one of the most unoptimized characters because I dipped into every class at some point except the spell casters.
I'm the same way. I maxed out Warrior, Fighter, Assassin and Magic Knight. I even got half the vocations done for Sorcerer until I got sick of dying lol

burgerdog

I ready the first few pages and didn't find an answer.
Is there a huge difference between versions? Which one has the best performance (framerate, texture, tearing, etc.)?
Also, is there an online component (co-op mission maybe)?

Tearing(360) and lower framerate(ps3). Pick your poison. No coop.

Eusis

Well, not in the traditional sense.

It's basically asynchronous multiplayer: your pawn (player charactered AI partner) will be available online for others to use, and you'll get rewards for this, so having friends who play the game is more useful for getting free pawns (though going too high level has its problems) than actual people to play with.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Well my friends 300+ hour save file is toast, suffice to say he is done with this game for good

(corrupted twice while trying to play through Dark Arisen, then hard locked the system and was gone)

Throwing my save on a memory card before I even put this game in the Xbox

Eusis

So I'm seeing a new icon on pawns in the rift...a little gift-wrapped box with a line through it. What does this mean?
I figured that out instantly: they're DD pawns and you can't gift them items. Those who were actively playing DA don't have it, and when I sent away the pawns I still had hired form DD I got no option to send items back with them.

Well my friends 300+ hour save file is toast, suffice to say he is done with this game for good

(corrupted twice while trying to play through Dark Arisen, then hard locked the system and was gone)

Throwing my save on a memory card before I even put this game in the Xbox
Is he an Xbox player? Seems to be they're the ones having the most problems.

Oh, yeah, something I noticed last night and want to see if it's the same for everyone else: Airtight Flasks are no longer sold at the Apothecary for me, I had to get one off the beach to complete the Kept Sour Ambrosial Meat quest. The fuck?

B-Dex

Got some DLC messages when loading up the game. Did Capcom seriously release Day 1 DLC for a complete edition of a year-old game?

But it's technically the expansion to the game. You just get the game with it.

So I'm seeing a new icon on pawns in the rift...a little gift-wrapped box with a line through it. What does this mean?

It means you CAN NOT send them presents. I'm assuming without the line it means you can.

Did you read the message you saw?

One is a free DLC, the other is micro-trans for buying RCs.

Pretty sure the customization one lets you view the items for free, but you still have to pay for them.

But it's technically the expansion to the game. You just get the game with it.

The PR for the game mentioned how it included all the DLC released for the original version. So it is essentially a "complete" edition. Reminds me of how, I think it was Ultimate MvC3, had pre-order "bonuses".

I figured that out instantly: they're DD pawns and you can't gift them items. Those who were actively playing DA don't have it, and when I sent away the pawns I still had hired form DD I got no option to send items back with them.

Sucks for them. I had a feeling that would be the case, but I wasn't sure if it was all items or DA-exclusive items.

It's really helpful, actually. Lets you know who's actively playing and who stopped last year.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Interesting, all the chests have respawned.

Everything respawns in DD, eventually.
Well, except for quest-specific events, of course.

Forage points, containers, chests, baddies, and even the larger boss-type monsters, will all eventually make a return. Depending on content, it could take anywhere from 1-7 in-game days.

Note that most chests are filled with loot randomly selected from a distinct list of goodies specific to that chest and/or world area. Typically, the more powerful loot has a lower spawn rate.

I'm a level 89 Fighter, STR is over 1800 with Dragon's Dogma. Over 2000 when i switch to warrior with Wounded Heart.

Is your equipment Dragon Forged? Ever little bit helps. I'm not sure what videos you're watching, Bitterblack Isle is tough. It does seem like some enemies have really high defense, even if they don't have a lot of health bars like *monster spoiler*
Minotaurs

So is all that Strength from your Dragon's Dogma? Mine isn't upgraded at all unfortunately. I've killed a few dragons while I've been in BB but it hasn't been forged yet. I may end up leaving to try and kill the Ur-Dragon a bit. I've reached a point where I can't progress
room with 3 warg things and a bunch of sorcerors casting high level magic and a harpy/gargoyle

lv75
1044 str / 686 mag

I tickle big monsters. Help.

Yeah, it really sucks in comparison to how quickly I was killing things outside of BB.

Top Bottom