• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Sanctuary

I'm just messing around, though you'd think floating for three seconds a couple inches above the ground would erase any inertia you had while falling for a safe landing. The late double jump thing doesn't make sense at all, on the other hand, but the game does still let you catch some air on the way down. :p

Oh, gotcha. It's still gonna be a blast, I'm sure.

I won't lie. I did think it was kind of silly that whenever I would run and jump off of a roof with my Mage and then levitate around in circles right above the ground for a few seconds that I'd still get the major fall impact after it ended.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Oh, yeah, something I noticed last night and want to see if it's the same for everyone else: Airtight Flasks are no longer sold at the Apothecary for me, I had to get one off the beach to complete the Kept Sour Ambrosial Meat quest. The fuck?

You can actually
find Kept Sour Ambrosial Meat in chests in Bitterblack now,
so you've got an alternate means of completing that quest outside of letting the meat age and then preserving it yourself.

Eusis

You can actually
find Kept Sour Ambrosial Meat in chests in Bitterblack now,
so you've got an alternate means of completing that quest outside of letting the meat age and then preserving it yourself.
Well, I only needed one more anyway and I was finding them
in the mine (not kept, but already in the right state)
, but it's still kind of frustrating they removed an item like that. Was it balance breaking? Plus it seems like the kind of thing that kind of MAKES SENSE to buy from a store, so it ends up being one of those weird cases where what should be a common commodity for the basic need of food preservation is now ridiculously rare.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So is all that Strength from your Dragon's Dogma? Mine isn't upgraded at all unfortunately. I've killed a few dragons while I've been in BB but it hasn't been forged yet. I may end up leaving to try and kill the Ur-Dragon a bit. I've reached a point where I can't progress
room with 3 warg things and a bunch of sorcerors casting high level magic and a harpy/gargoyle

Yeah, it really sucks in comparison to how quickly I was killing things outside of BB.

Save for a single one-time per play through exception, you will not be able to dragonforge equipment that hasn't been at least reforged to its one star incarnation. The higher you enhance it, the greater the odds of it getting dragonforged.

I think one star equipment only has like a 2% change of getting dragonforged during a normal dragon-type encounter. I think it's something like 2% / 6% / 18% for one / two / three star equipment, respectively. The percentages are increased for the offline Ur-Dragon. Something like ? / 10% / 30%, if my admitedly hazy recollection yet holds.

Zero star equipment has no chance of being dragonforged, save for that one specific battle I mentioned above.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So I've worked my way down past 3? i think voidkey doors... now at a point where my deepest excursion takes me down into a sewer like area with Elder Ogres, Death, Giant Snowy Saurian mages and then a smattering of random cannon fodder...

I'm 194 now... and I have no idea how anyone could get through any of this pre lvl 100... If it's true that post game BB doesn't increase the danger like it does in the main game... damn.

I'm sitting on 3.5k life and one of the undead dragon's attacks easily knocked more than a third of my life off. Sepheroxie... My most favoritest hired pawn from the rift, is 200 and gets knocked - the fuck - around. Multiple dragons in one fight, Elder Ogre and a Dark Bishop... BB is just pouring it on. Been a long time since i've been genuinely scared far from home without any curatives and only 1 wakestone left in my pocket...

I had to run away from an encounter last night. This is a fantastic re-release. I was entertaining day dreams of walking over that demon end boss on the cover of the box like a bauss and now ... I'm honestly a little intimidated. with my

Tried working pawns for a while this morning and I can't decide if it's worth it to have the bullet sponges around or if sacrificing my assassin dmg bonuses is slowing me down too much.

Still haven't seen word one of the lvl 3 skills ... Still haven't found another moonbeam gem... this shit is maaaaassssssiive.

Save for a single one-time per play through exception, you will not be able to dragonforge equipment that hasn't been at least reforged to its one star incarnation. The higher you enhance it, the greater the odds of it getting dragonforged.

I think one star equipment only has like a 2% change of getting dragonforged during a normal dragon-type encounter. I think it's something like 2% / 6% / 18% for one / two / three star equipment, respectively. The percentages are increased for the offline Ur-Dragon. Something like ? / 10% / 30%, if my admitedly hazy recollection yet holds.

Zero star equipment has no chance of being dragonforged, save for that one specific battle I mentioned above.

No wonder, I didn't even know that. I guess there's also the option of renting out high level pawns. At least for the parts I get stuck on.

Cheddahz

Banned
I just traded in Metal Gear Rising to Amazon, now I gotta wait for the money so I can grab this! I've already played through it once (well, the vanilla version), but my god, I can't wait to relive the adventure again!

Mejilan

No wonder, I didn't even know that. I guess there's also the option of renting out high level pawns. At least for the parts I get stuck on.

The exception is the final story boss in the game prior to the start of the post-game). That boss will dragonforge every piece of forgeable equipment the Arisen has equipped, regardless of the equipment's state.

Once that opportunity is gone, there is still a relatively easy way to secure at least one dragonforge upgrade per encounter.

1) Reforge your equipment to at least two stars (usually costing gold and lesser materials). Consider three stars if you have the gold and the required materials aren't too rare.

2) Find a comfortable, preferably outdoor dragon fight (like the one just outside Gran Soren during the post-game) and engage it.

3) Get it down to critical health, then ease off completely and let your pawns get it down to 1 hp. Killing blows can only be delivered by the Arisen, so as long as you hang back, there's no chance of messing this part up.

4) Retreat enough to get the dragon to break off its attack and fly back to its usual spawn point, but not enough to entirely end the fight (noted by the game's changing of the battle anthem back to exploration music).

5) SAVE THE GAME!!

6) Run up to the dragon and land the finishing blow.

7) Note what, if anything, gets dragonforged. If you're not content, reload and return to step 6.

Heeeeeeeee... :D

PS: Do note that only the Arisen's equippables are subject to Dragonforging. Pawns' equipment (your's or hirelings') does not apply.

/sadface :(

PPS: Dragon encounters, such as the one just outside Gran Soren during the post-game, respawn after seven in-game days!

>:D

RangerBAD

Did anyone else get "invalid data" when they stayed at an inn and your pawn came back? I got none of the RC my pawn gathered from Dragon's Dogma because of that. I probably had millions of RC waiting for me. :(

Mejilan

I've seen it advised that long-dormant Vanilla players should log in once using Vanilla DD to properly get their rewards, save, and only then continue to import their saves into DA. :(

Eusis

Did anyone else get "invalid data" when they stayed at an inn and your pawn came back? I got none of the RC my pawn gathered from Dragon's Dogma because of that. I probably had millions of RC waiting for me. :(
Yeah, when I switched over and rested the first time that happened. I'm expecting it's best to rest just before starting Dark Arisen so you can get as many of the RC as possible. At least I didn't have it sitting for months but just days, so I probably lost like 10k at an extreme, which Dark Arisen MORE than made up for.

So far BBI is a little too easy. As a Magick Archer anyway. When should I expect to get my ass kicked?
uhhh, how far are you? What's your level? These things are important to answering your question.
Once that opportunity is gone, there is still a relatively easy way to secure at least one dragonforge upgrade per encounter.

Wow, really? I wish I knew about this before. I did this shit the hard way (killing a lot of Dragonkin).

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Forge that ish info

FYI .. if you are a high enough level to be dragon forging multiple pieces of equipment there is an undead dragon about one hour into BB that Dragon Forged 4 pieces of gear on me when I killed him. It was an insanely pleasant surprise.

Of course.. he is a bastard evil undead dragon. So ... there's that.

Mejilan

FYI .. if you are a high enough level to be dragon forging multiple pieces of equipment there is an undead dragon about one hour into BB that Dragon Forged 4 pieces of gear on me when I killed him. It was an insanely pleasant surprise.

Hell yeah. If the expak added in one or more dragons with boosted dragonforging rates... Well, hell yeah!

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So far BBI is a little too easy. As a Magick Archer anyway. When should I expect to get my ass kicked?

Word is the magic archer got a little buff as the magic bows themselves were pretty weak.. so you might also just be adjusting to a stronger archer than you had before...

BUT...

If you get down into the wet/sewer style part of BB and don't have a few intense moments.. i dunno what to tell you. I know that the word is post game BB is no different or harder than pre-end game BB... BUT... after reading impressions and hearing the whole "You can go to BB at level 50" comment that i've been led to believe was official... yea.. it HAS to scale. No way could a lvl 50 survive even 1 or 2 hits from some of the new monsters. Nevermind the boss encounters.

RangerBAD

Word is the magic archer got a little buff as the magic bows themselves were pretty weak.. so you might also just be adjusting to a stronger archer than you had before...

BUT...

If you get down into the wet/sewer style part of BB and don't have a few intense moments.. i dunno what to tell you. I know that the word is post game BB is no different or harder than pre-end game BB... BUT... after reading impressions and hearing the whole "You can go to BB at level 50" comment that i've been led to believe was official... yea.. it HAS to scale. No way could a lvl 50 survive even 1 or 2 hits from some of the new monsters. Nevermind the boss encounters.

A worm in a box owned me and I'm like 67. Also the newer goblins can overrun you and kill you pretty fast if unprepared. Anyone else having problems getting your character to run? I wonder if my controller is broke or something.

Before work this morning, I got to the sewer part and fought a giant saurian and a tough ass ogre.

I had to lifestone out of there. The ogre wasn't killing me, but my party was doing such little damage it would have made me late to work to keep fighting it. :D

Has anyone found any really new enemy types? Not just reskin/resize of old enemies?

Grisby

I figured that out instantly: they're DD pawns and you can't gift them items. Those who were actively playing DA don't have it, and when I sent away the pawns I still had hired form DD I got no option to send items back with them.
Ahhhh, was wondering what that was. I sit a ways from the tv and couldn't quite make it out.

I wish there was more information regarding class balance changes (if there are any, that is). I must know if:

- Masterful Kill got nerfed and can't counter everything under the sun anymore (please God don't let let this have happened)

- Clairvoyance got buffed to be like Masterful Kill (it currently sucks and only works on human-sized mobs, it does nothing on big and small enemies)

- Snakebite got buffed to work on all enemies instead of second part of the attack not working on big mobs (I hope this changed)

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I wish there was more information regarding class balance changes (if there are any, that is). I must know if:

- Masterful Kill got nerfed and can't counter everything under the sun anymore (please God don't let let this have happened)

- Clairvoyance got buffed to be like Masterful Kill (it currently sucks and only works on human-sized mobs, it does nothing on big and small enemies)

- Snakebite got buffed to work on all enemies instead of second part of the attack not working on big mobs (I hope this changed)

No it didn't get nerfed (still countering dragons and cyclops all day long)

No it didn't... You still frame out of the damage of the attack and do the initial stab.. but the secondary strike which is the real meat of the damage from clairvoyance doesn't even trigger. And you still don't stagger anything larger than human.

I haven't tried snakebite on say an Ogre or a Cyclops yet... so I can't tell you on that one.. but fyi .. you should not be snakebiting dragons and the such. Just no.

No it didn't get nerfed (still countering dragons and cyclops all day long)

No it didn't... You still frame out of the damage of the attack and do the initial stab.. but the secondary strike which is the real meat of the damage from clairvoyance doesn't even trigger. And you still don't stagger anything larger than human.

I haven't tried snakebite on say an Ogre or a Cyclops yet... so I can't tell you on that one.. but fyi .. you should not be snakebiting dragons and the such. Just no.

Thanks.

And I like Snakebite. Mad stagger and knockdown so hell yes I'd use it on larger mobs if it worked the way it does normally. I actually don't use Hundred Kisses that much despite its uber-cheese factor. Same with Invisibility. It's too easy. XD

Oh yeah, did Autonomy get nerfed? Heard two different stories on that one. Someone said it got gimped and someone else said it's exactly the same.

For the people backing up saves, how are you doing it exactly (on 360) are you just now and then manually going into the storage section and copying data from your hdd to a memory card?

ironcreed

Banned
Jesus,
the giant eye with the tentacles, constant petrification and blindness can go to hell. He is like uber with that shit in the expansion. I can get him get down to nearly one health bar, but my pawns get decimated, then I shortly follow.
I think I may need to go level up a tad more or stock up on a ton of wakestones, as level 58 is just not cutting it against encounters like this. It's ridiculous.

Jesus,
the giant eye with the tentacles, constant petrification and blindness can go to hell. He is like uber with that shit in the expansion. I can get him get down to nearly one health bar, but my pawns get decimated, then I shortly follow.
I think I may need to go level up a tad more or stock up on a ton of wakestones, as level 58 is just not cutting it against encounters like this. It's ridiculous.

Hearing this makes me drool. This is exactly what I wanted, a real test of mettle once you clear the post game. Glad to hear that the sweet spot ranges from (apparently Capcom says 50) all the way to near a hundred.

Kyoufu

Jesus,

Which vocation are you? If you have ranged attacks, then you can
use the pillars to line of sight the gaze and attack the eye/tentacles.

Hearing this makes me drool. This is exactly what I wanted, a real test of mettle once you clear the post game. Glad to hear that the sweet spot ranges from (apparently Capcom says 50) all the way to near a hundred.

For me at least the difficulty isn't really coming from the bosses themselves being difficult, but because I do practically no damage. Makes boss fights very tedious instead of exciting and complete-able in a reasonable amount of time.

ironcreed

Banned

Yeah, you will think you are fine against typical fare like Cockitrices and the like, but then there are other encounters that rip you a new asshole in one shot. I guess they wanted to give people incentive to go through the campaign again before tackling Bitterblack Isle and I am starting to think that may indeed be a good idea.

ironcreed

Banned
Which vocation are you? If you have ranged attacks, then you can
use the pillars to line of sight the gaze and attack the eye/tentacles.

Rocking a strider and that is my method of attack, but
the tentacles keep coming, I constantly have to revive my pawns and then he gets me with blindness, petrification or does that explosion attack.
I must have lasted about a good 30 minutes before finally getting smoked and he had one and a half health bars left, lol.

ironcreed

Banned
I think I am going to get a Ranger pawn and then come back and try my hand at that battle again. If I get my ass kicked, then I am going to go back and level for awhile.

burgerdog

This is the dragon that has stopped my bbi progress.

phierce

Please tell me I'm right by thinking I can change my primary pawn's voice, yes?

She's awesome, but God damn, I picked an annoying voice.

Everything is recking me so damn hard.

goddam.

I'm probably gonna have to go into new game plus for some extra grinding because goddam.

also my Pawn is fuckin useless.

As a ranger...she never shoots

as a Sorcress, she runs into battle and gets owned.

As a Warrior she gets stuck in stun by everything.

C;mon gurl

Please tell me I'm right by thinking I can change my primary pawn's voice, yes?

She's awesome, but God damn, I picked an annoying voice.

You can change it with the art of metamorphosis item.

goddam.

I'm probably gonna have to go into new game plus for some extra grinding because goddam.

C;mon gurl

Take her daggers away.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I really wish they had tweaked the Guardian inclination.

Oh, Guardian pawns. So common. So useless.

I feel so alone being the only guy who started over before starting the Bitterblack content.

I was planning on doing this. Then I got impatient.

goddam.

C;mon gurl

Use the knowledge chair to change her nature.

Top Bottom