• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

abundant

How the hell do you beat
The Giant Evil Eye
on Bitterblack Isle? You have to be an Assassin or Ranger to take it out in a timely matter. I tried with the Magic Archer and the Mystic Knight and at the rate of me doing damage to it, I'd be done with it in over 3 tedious hours. I know to target the
eye
, but the Great Cannon and the Magic Bow barely do anything.

Pawns do jack shit in this battle BTW.

denshuu

How the hell do you beat
The Giant Evil Eye
on Bitterblack Isle? You have to be an Assassin or Ranger to take it out in a timely matter. I tried with the Magic Archer and the Mystic Knight and at the rate of me doing damage to it, I'd be done with it in over 3 tedious hours. I know to target the
eye

Jump onto its eye in its "mouth" and slash at it. Its teeth won't hurt you.

njean777

um should I go to the witchwood first or go to the city with the snake head? I am having really big problems with the bandits on the road to the witchwood as some of them are like super armored or something. Also I asked earlier, but where do I learn new skills? I am level 11 and still only have fire and healing spells... I feel like I am missing something somewhere...

xCobalt

How the hell do you beat
The Giant Evil Eye
eye

It might have a resistance to magick by the sounds of it. What I did was destroy all of the tentacles around the eye. I think once I did that, it moved on to another phase where it started charging up a huge spell. If you take out the tentacles that are helping it cast the spell, it should collapse and the eye will fall out, leaving it wide open.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
um should I go to the witchwood first or go to the city with the snake head? I am having really big problems with the bandits on the road to the witchwood as some of them are like super armored or something. Also I asked earlier, but where do I learn new skills? I am level 11 and still only have fire and healing spells... I feel like I am missing something somewhere...

Talk to an innkeeper. That's where you learn skills. Or at least that's where I've seen skills be available. It's a pretty fuckin dumb place to put your skills/upgrades imo. Are innkeepers special magical people in this game?

njean777

Talk to an innkeeper. That's where you learn skills. Or at least that's where I've seen skills be available. It's a pretty fuckin dumb place to put your skills/upgrades imo. Are innkeepers special magical people in this game?

Thank you, lol I learned all the high level fire/ice/lightning from just figuring it out.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Again, I'm not a graphics whore, it's just it became very clear to me from the first few mins that the budget was not huge for this game. The action since then has looked fine. I ventured out in the night to encampment and it looked great with goblins attacking and shit.

Actually Capcom claimed that it was made by their largest team ever (at least if we don't consider RE6).

Vitor711

Again, I'm not a graphics whore, it's just it became very clear to me from the first few mins that the budget was not huge for this game. The action since then has looked fine. I ventured out in the night to encampment and it looked great with goblins attacking and shit.

Seriously, where's that PC version already. I bet the game would like real nice with a higher res and smoother FPS.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Thank you, lol I learned all the high level fire/ice/lightning from just figuring it out.

I don't blame you for overlooking it. There's a small prompt that comes up in the first encampment to talk to the innkeeper for skills, but I still don't get why innkeepers are the one's who handle skills, equipment, inventory, crafting..

abundant

Jump onto its eye in its "mouth" and slash at it. Its teeth won't hurt you.

It might have a resistance to magick by the sounds of it. What I did was destroy all of the tentacles around the eye. I think once I did that, it moved on to another phase where it started charging up a huge spell. If you take out the tentacles that are helping it cast the spell, it should collapse and the eye will fall out, leaving it wide open.

Thanks for the help. I did not know that you could climb into it's "mouth" to stab at the weak point. Just saw a Youtube vid of a Fighter doing it and now I know how to defeat it with a MK.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I am playing DD for the first time.

For returning players - how does the DA content hold up when compared against that of the original release? Is it worse, as good, better?

Deadstar

I'm enjoying it to a degree but I'm about to start over

Wizard was a bad choice. It's not passive but it's not as active as front line murderer

Level 20 and I don't know if theres stats you get from leveling or if it's safe to just switch. I know I'll be behind on vocational levels but eh, seems like I can make that up

gotta decide now if I want to go sword and board or two handers on my next guy

Also is there a benefit to maxing out strider before moving to assassin/ranger? looks like most of the active abilities do not carry over

Do you think the game is more fun as a warrior or a ranger? Still trying to decide who to play as.

My new pawn, Sigurd. Okay, now I can start playing.

DragonsDogma_DarkArisenScreenshot_zps7e67e02c.jpg

pablito

Goddamn me and my criticism over character creation. I must have been in that menu over 20 minutes trying to create my perfect ranger. It feels like 2012 all over again.

gonna mark gameplay spoilers just in case

i practically recreate my character every time i load up the game, even if it's just to change hair color or something minor. i'm addicted to character creation lol

emag

I rented and played through DD on release, getting to around level 60 (playing mostly as Mystic Knight in the late/endgame with my pawn as a Strider/Mage) in the process and starting a new game after the post-game. I purchased Dark Arisen yesterday and loaded my save, then played around a little with a fetch quest. All the bonuses seem to be imported/working just fine, except my pawn brought back 0 RC and 0 items over all her adventures in the last ten months -- the list of adventurers she had accompanied was comprised entirely of "corrupted data" or something along those lines. Oh well. I have plenty of rift crystals anyway.

That aside, I'm unsure how to proceed with the game at this point. Should I just gear up with my best vocations/skills/equipment and head over to Bitterblack Island (on normal)? Can I do so at any point (I believe I quit my second playthrough shortly after getting to Gran Soren)? Should I take my level 60-ish character and pawn into hard mode and play through the whole game before heading over to the new content? Should I start over with new characters (on normal or hard) to experience all the tweaks to the game?

nataku

Playing through the everfall post-game made me realize how much I missed this game. So much fun. I need to hurry and collect those wakestones so I can restart a new game on hard mode in DD:DA.

All of the quest/npc stuff feels low budget, I don't know where they spent all their money on.
monster design, monster behavior, monster graphics and monster animation. That's where this game really shines.
How the hell do you beat
The Giant Evil Eye
eye

not nearly has hard as you're making it, like others said.

15 mins of that battle was me running around confused, getting poisoned and reviving pawns. 5 minutes was killing the thing once I found out how

I'm an expert

I just don't get the justification in the world or in the lore. It just seems very "gamey". Have an npc that'll be all around the world handle all the logistics of the rpg side of the game.

You've had your heart taken by a dragon, you're some great Arisen who can use the rift stone and command legions of pawns that kneel to you on sight, but you have to go to an innkeeper to learn skills..? Or craft..? Why not just have them in the menus?

I just don't get the justification in the world or in the lore. It just seems very "gamey". Have an npc that'll be all around the world handle all the logistics of the rpg side of the game.

You've had your heart taken by a dragon, you're some great Arisen who can use the rift stone and command legions of pawns that kneel to you on sight, but you have to go to an innkeeper to learn skills..? Or craft..? Why not just have them in the menus?

I get why they lock your ability to learn and change skills to a single location, since the game encourages you to prepare for long journeys with the right skills and punishes you if you choose incorrectly. I agree with you though that there's no reason for that location to be inn keepers. You should be able to do it at rift stones or something.

TentPole

The important part is that they are not in a menu. A huge part of what makes Dragon's Dogma is its commitment to the act of preparing for the quest. The idea that preparing for your journeys properly is such a huge part of the game that it would be undermined if you could access everything from everywhere.

As far as fiction goes it makes as much since as just leveling up from a menu and is no more "gamey".

I'm an expert

I get why they lock your ability to learn and change skills to a single location, since the game encourages you to prepare for long journeys with the right skills and punishes you if you choose incorrectly. I agree with you though that there's no reason for that location to be inn keepers. You should be able to do it at rift stones or something.

Right, if it was rift stones I wouldn't even bat an eyelash. It was just really weird to me when random innkeeper was the guy I went to to learn SUPER ULTIMATE ARISEN SLASH. Thanks, Joe the Innkeeper.

The important part is that they are not in a menu. A huge part of what makes Dragon's Dogma is its commitment to the act of preparing for the quest. The idea that preparing for your journeys properly is such a huge part of the game that it would be undermined if you could access everything from everywhere.

As far as fiction goes it makes as much since as just leveling up from a menu and is no more "gamey".

I'm not far enough into the game to have known that preparing for long quests is what the gameplay will consist of. If that's the case I can see the point of locking things like that away from the character so they can't access it anytime. I'll still stick with my opinion that giving it to no name inn dude is weird.

Yea I'm LOVING this. So many great RPG systems involved. I just made my pawn in the likeness of my wife, he he. Anyone interested in hiring her? How does the pawn hiring system work? You get RC for having your pawn hired etc?

Chairhome

Wow, Best Buy online delivered super fast. I ordered yesterday afternoon around 3pm w/ free expedited shipping and got it during lunch! Excited to jump in with my old character tonight.

I'm an expert

Yea I'm LOVING this. So many great RPG systems involved. I just made my pawn in the likeness of my wife, he he. Anyone interested in hiring her? How does the pawn hiring system work? You get RC for having your pawn hired etc?

Yeah, if anything I wanna know how I make my pawn available for hire. She too sexy to keep to myself.

How's the Bitterblack Isle for those that's going through it? And how does it compare to post game stuff? (easier or harder?)
Harder. Boss monsters usually have more waaaaay health. The normal grunt enemies are still pretty easy, as expected.

Some of the battle scenarios they throw at you are more difficult. In everfall, you might be forced to fight a solo cockatrice. On Bitterblack isle you'll fight
2 cockatrice and a bunch of goblins
all at the same time. I was in an arena where I had to fight
3 chimeras at once (pro-tip: they heal each other!) With several new, stronger harpy enemies
. Way harder than it sounds.

Rootbeer

Banned
have the game loaded up now, going to wait until it's done 'installing' on my PS3 to avoid any stuttering. Guess there is no way to change the aspect ratio? can't believe I have TWO sets of black bars on my screen since i'm using a 16:10 monitor :p

Arklite

Yeah, if anything I wanna know how I make my pawn available for hire. She too sexy to keep to myself.

Innkeepers also have the power to pimp out your pawn by sleeping at an Inn or camp. If you switched their skills or update their gear, sleep to update their online equipment/stats for others to see.

pablito

Harder. Boss monsters usually have more waaaaay health. The normal grunt enemies are still pretty easy, as expected.

Some of the battle scenarios they throw at you are more difficult. In everfall, you might be forced to fight a solo cockatrice. On Bitterblack isle you'll fight
3 chimeras at once (pro-tip: they heal each other!) With several new, stronger harpy enemies

gat dayum. i did the fight that was
cockatrice, some big wolfy thing and goblins, and that was tricky....but mainly because i never carry anti stone meds. it was just the right amount of difficulty though, it was fun.

Right, if it was rift stones I wouldn't even bat an eyelash. It was just really weird to me when random innkeeper was the guy I went to to learn SUPER ULTIMATE ARISEN SLASH. Thanks, Joe the Innkeeper.

You've been out in the wilderness for three straight nights, running from chimeras by day and constantly besieged by skeletons and ghosts by night. For 72 hours you've been running on pure instinct and adrenaline. It isn't until you reach the safety of Gran Soren and its massive stone walls that you actually have time to reflect on your battles, and while relaxing at the inn you suddenly think of a new trick to use the next time you see a zombie start to crawl its way out of the earth.

I dunno. It's a video game. Use your imagination a bit.

burgerdog

have the game loaded up now, going to wait until it's done 'installing' on my PS3 to avoid any stuttering. Guess there is no way to change the aspect ratio? can't believe I have TWO sets of black bars on my screen since i'm using a 16:10 monitor :p

Yo dawg, I herd you like black bars... and so on.

TentPole

For those having a beef with the kinda crappy HUD I would highly recommend turning off everything but the health/stamina bars and the mini Map. The only thing that might be tricky is having to remember which buttons your skills are assigned to but that isn't very hard.

Anteater

just think the innkeeper as the cousin of the re4 merchant, he changes your job and aren't afraid of anything.

Just what I needed to hear :D

Kyoufu

Just killed some big thing without taking a hit.

Its arms couldn't reach me so I had an easy time taking it down with my Magick Bow.

It gave 32k EXP. Not bad.

Am I allowed to post screenshots here or is it considered spoilers?

Top Bottom