• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Pyrrhus

So I never played the original game, but I'm a veteran of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. Was it a mistake picking Hard Mode from the get-go or is it a reasonable thing?

B-Dex

So reached lvl 21, went to replace my lvl 15 pawn I was using. Never realized you could get rid of rook... he was still lvl 6 haha no wonder he kept dying. Finally replaced him with another more suitable pawn.

I think I outdid myself with my main pawn though. He's damn sexy. Hotter than my main even haha.

I ventured out at night for the first time. Got attacked by a chimera? I'm assuming that's what those lion/goat/snake enemies are. While fighting it in pitch-black night, an ARMY of saurians launched an offensive. Managed to take them all down. It was crazy.

Jobbs

Banned
are strider/ranger pawns any good really? this is a question I've dealt with, it's challenging to make them useful.

chifanpoe

Just picked this up. Pretty darn fun so far, plays like a dream, should have boughten it sooner but glad I waited and got this release.

Pulled the trigger on the 360 version and installed on the HDD, it runs very well, not a ton of noticeable screen tearing while in combat, frame rate seems pretty solid so far.

Going to run with a rogue archer build.

I'm looking to play mystic knight, but i'm starting off as a basic mage. Should i wait for a higher vocational level before swapping to mystic knight? I swapped to it briefly and was getting my ass handed to me.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Starting as a fresh new player here. Strider class is amazing. Loving the combat and fluidity of everything so far.

Black bars are a BIT annoying but I expect I'll get used to that eventually. Textures are...decent (PS3 version). Unsure of how they were before this.

Is there any sort of lock on in this game? I feel I sometimes get disoriented in the action when a group of enemies are all over the place.

branny

So I never played the original game, but I'm a veteran of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. Was it a mistake picking Hard Mode from the get-go or is it a reasonable thing?
Hmm, well, I'd say it's reasonable since Dragon's Dogma eventually gets easy no matter what setting you're on (haven't played DD:DA yet, so maybe that's different); you will just have to be a little more cautious early on because some enemies are simply too strong to face right off the bat.

But I don't know if playing Demon's and Dark Souls beforehand would help that much. The Souls games are slower, more methodically-paced experiences that are only considered hard because they're strict/punishing. The only thing they really demand is patience.

Dragon's Dogma emphasizes player dexterity and skill a bit more in comparison. Being adept at action games in general would probably be more handy.

If there is one already made, let me know and I will take this down. Feel free to reformat it, if you feel it could be better. Add your GT or ID here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhmZYod-EUivdFJwRHJwenJzTVVnMkU2WDVVTWQyS3c&usp=sharing
Did we have one of these when vanilla came out? I remember adding quite a few DD people from GAF, but I don't remember how we shared our IDs, lol.

edit: oh nvm i think it was that one sharing thread

nataku

Added my PSN ID to the spreadsheet.

Viewing that spreadsheet when multiple people are editing/viewing it really slows chrome down to a crawl. My entire browser kept freezing.

Does NG+ increase the difficulty of enemies? I'm a level 63 Assassin and I barely do any damage to most enemies in Bitterblack Isle. This is including my pawn and any pawn I hire, even ones that are higher level than me.

I just saw a video where a guy was level 57 I think and his pawns killed the
Giant Beholder
by burning though all bars of its health in 5-10 seconds once its
eye
was exposed.

Compared to my experience where my pawns were completely useless and I did practically 0 damage with my bow and the only way I killed it was by
climbing on its eye and nicking it for miniscule damage for about 20-30 minutes or so.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Added my details to the spreadsheet as well, though my current pawn is a level 130-something pre-DA mage; and I'll likely be starting a new pair of characters soon.

dubq

I just think it's amazing the picture taking is much easier now. It was so crap in Vanilla.

I agree! I love that you can move the camera and hide your main character as well! So much better!

If there is one already made, let me know and I will take this down. Feel free to reformat it, if you feel it could be better. Add your GT or ID here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhmZYod-EUivdFJwRHJwenJzTVVnMkU2WDVVTWQyS3c&usp=sharing

Added mine as well. :)

Ferr986

Hard to say, I'm a level 90 fighter with all dragon forged equipment, I've died several times through 5 hours. I usually don't come close to dying in everfall anymore.

I'm playing on normal, btw

Thanks!

Damn that sounds awesome, my character is 90ish too, so maybe Im not that overpowered.

Does NG+ increase the difficulty of enemies?

No, it doesnt.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Added my PSN ID to the friends' list. :)

Looking forward to seeing your guys' pawns online!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Imported my save. Loaded my game. Slept at the inn. Got a message that my pawn had returned from assisting another Arisen. Comes back with about a dozen 1-star knowledge ratings for unknown enemies.

I've had Dark Arisen for all of five minutes and apparently my pawn has already finished Bitterblack.

MechaX

I know I'm part of the problem, but I'm really tempted to double dip on Dark Arisen.

I played two playthroughs on the 360 version and I still have my save. 100,000 RC and infinite ferrystones sound very appealing, but I'm really tempted to pick up the PS3 version just for advanced Ur-Dragon stuff. You can still do all of the pawn stuff online with a XBL Silver account with no problems, right?

Given how I only have a few people in my friends' list playing it (and I almost convinced one of my friends to pick it up down the line), is it really worth it to jump platforms?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Hope all you new comers are enjoying it. No matter what, just play it till the very end. You will thank me.

Patrick Klepek spoiled the ending for us a long time ago. WHATEVA. I just wanna backstab nubs with my shiny daggers dipped in poison. Shank. Shank. This is the right game..yes?

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm going with a Gon/Killua from Hunter x Hunter inspired protagonist and main pawn :p the character creation is very flexible... never seen a game that let you create really small, childlike characters on the PS3 and have them not look like shit or superdeformed.

I can already tell I'm way more of a DD type of player than Monster Hunter of Dark Souls, though I have enjoyed those too.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How is this new island integrated? Is it open all the time with scaling enemies like Bethesda DLC (ugh), or is it post-endgame content?

ironcreed

Banned
Great, will get this next month after i'm done with Deadly Premonition: DC

Is the performance better than the original game (PS3)?

Seems about the same from what I can tell. A tad of slowdown in Gran Soren and other areas, but it was never bad for me at all on the whole. Runs great in the new area as well.

abundant

Guys, is there a specific level you have to have reached or any specific in-game task that needs completing before you're able to access the new content?

There's no level restriction, but you will get destroyed if you are below level 50. Even at level 50, some of the encounters are really challenging.

DA's hard mode is quite a bit easier than the vanilla DD's hard mode, so I think you'll be fine. Vanilla's hard was actually a bit harder than Dark Souls in the beginning, IMO. Most things one-shotted you.

Played for about an hour last night...I really enjoy the battle system and the grab mechanic...I really regret not picking this up last year.

I just added myself to the spreadsheet... I'll add some fellow ps3 people tonight. Anyone playing for the first time and want to swap pawns?

Imported my save. Loaded my game. Slept at the inn. Got a message that my pawn had returned from assisting another Arisen. Comes back with about a dozen 1-star knowledge ratings for unknown enemies.

I've had Dark Arisen for all of five minutes and apparently my pawn has already finished Bitterblack.

Happened to me as well, but with a brand new level 4 pawn, save I got better rankings. It's a bug that's been around forever and I'm surprised to see it work in this situation. Basically your pawn knowledge and such is saved to you, not the pawn. So the first time I saved/rested and got pawn helped another arisen screen was after my OLD pawn, the level 70 Ranger, had gone to bitterblack isle with someone during that day. But I never cashed that in. So now my new, level 4 magey pawn, has all the bitterblack knowledge. It's kind of hilarious.

anddo0

So I loaded the game and out turns out I beat the game at lvl 57 :(

Should I start over?

I know I can't take on the new content at such low levels.

Happened to me as well, but with a brand new level 4 pawn, save I got better rankings. It's a bug that's been around forever and I'm surprised to see it work in this situation. Basically your pawn knowledge and such is saved to you, not the pawn. So the first time I saved/rested and got pawn helped another arisen screen was after my OLD pawn, the level 70 Ranger, had gone to bitterblack isle with someone during that day. But I never cashed that in. So now my new, level 4 magey pawn, has all the bitterblack knowledge. It's kind of hilarious.

This was a great way to start with a good rating and a crap-ton of RC before you were able to import your vanilla data to DA.

Astra

The fact that huge enemies can clip through walls and hit you, and squeeze through small doors they have no business being able to fit through, makes it hard to fight strategically using the environment.

branny

Do you still die if you double jump/float right before you hit the ground after falling from a lethal height? I hated that in vanilla.

Top Bottom