• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

GorillaJu

I only have 3 hours with it but it has everything shit like Skyrim lacks imo. It gives a great Dragon Age vibe though.

Well it all depends on what you're looking for.

I'm talking about how Western games' success has been built off of top quality presentation, friendliness to new players, streamlining clunkiness, meticulous attention to detail in a guided scenario, etc.

DD lacks all of that, but makes up for it and more IMO. I still don't expect everyone to like it.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Has the feel of the controls/movement changed in any way?

I don't know why, but the demo for the original game turned me off because it just didn't "feel" right. I really want to pick this up.

New page and I just realised I don't have any neogaf pawns.

List your damn pawn and it's level so I can hire them.

My pawn is Vespian/nina: level 15 Ranger.

BadWolf

Thinking for playing around with the demo a little, would my character/progress carry over to the full game or will I have to start anew?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Well it all depends on what you're looking for.

I'm talking about how Western games' success has been built off of top quality presentation, friendliness to new players, streamlining clunkiness, meticulous attention to detail in a guided scenario, etc.

DD lacks all of that, but makes up for it and more IMO. I still don't expect everyone to like it.

I'll agree DD lacks presentational polish but I'm so glad this game throws you out in the wild so fast and locks none of the customization. I don't want friendliness or streamlining, I want endless menus of stats, skills, and items.

Gbraga

I'm buying this game and I want the bonus for having my vanilla copy, but I never actually played it. Do I need a completed save or just starting the vanilla game until the first save point is enough?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing major. What felt wrong to you?

I can't describe it clearly, honestly.

I think it just felt... too floaty? If I was to put it in car terms, maybe "oversteer"?

Man, I really don't know. I was psyched for the original game, but the demo when it came out really destroyed all that. And to drive home the point, its just the controls that turned me off. Everything else seemed fine to me.

I'm gonna guess its got to be one of those games where I have to get used to it. Since this is a re-release of sorts, I'm sorta glad I held off from buying the original game.

Kyoufu

Thinking for playing around with the demo a little, would my character/progress carry over to the full game or will I have to start anew?

Start anew as you can't do anything in the demo other than fight two monsters. That's it.

I think it just felt... too floaty? If I was to put it in car terms, maybe "oversteer"?

Man, I really don't know. I was psyched for the original game, but the demo when it came out really destroyed all that.

I'm gonna guess its got to be one of those games where I have to get used to it. Since this is a re-release of sorts, I'm sorta glad I held off from buying the original game.

Are you sure you weren't playing the InFamous demo instead? :p

I'm playing the adventure demo and can create a character, go around the hometown talking to ppl, getting items and go on a quest outside of the town...

There's an Adventure demo?! I did not know that. The two demos I played were both the same (prologue and Hydra).

BadWolf

Star anew as you can't do anything in the demo other than fight two monsters. That's it.

I'm playing the adventure demo and can create a character, go around the hometown talking to ppl, getting items and go on a quest outside of the town...

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Are you sure you weren't playing the InFamous demo instead? :p

I own both inFamous 1 and 2, so I have no problems with those controls. :D

Hell, I own both Little Big Planet 1 and 2, and I've played Monster Hunter ever since the first game. Its not like I can't play games with weird control movements, its just that for this game, something is just bothering me about it.

I'm gonna pick this up, I guess I'll have to suck it in and force myself to like the controls.

sublimit

Banned

Man, I really don't know. I was psyched for the original game, but the demo when it came out really destroyed all that. And to drive home the point, its just the controls that turned me off. Everything else seemed fine to me.

I understand where you come from.I felt the same way about the combat when i first played the first demo (especially the battle with the Griffin).

But trust me...it won't be long before everything just "clicks" and the combat will become second nature really.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

This off feeling is what made me restart from fighter to strider. There's definitely something strange about the melee at least. I dunno if it's the lack of a lock on system, but I felt like everything I did was timed strangely or didn't give enough feedback to let me know if I had succeeded. The same with blocking with a shield. I dunno, could be different than what you felt but as soon as I went ranged in this game everything clicked. I'll see if once I'm more experienced the game maybe I won't even notice the melee issue anymore.

Also the climbing mechanic is kinda weird.. I don't see my stamina bar really go down but I'm also not holding or pressing a button to stay on. Are there special controls or parameters for climbing or is it just R2 to latch on and then do whatever I want till it knocks me off?

Kyoufu

Speaking of controls, am I the only one that changes it to Type E?

It's the closest to MonHun for me. Square = Sheathe, Triangle and Circle = attack. Only weird thing is using L2 to talk/loot.

AwRy108

Basically yeah, he also found the world pretty dull and lifeless.

I think his biggest complaint was how the whole experience got drug down by the amount of on-foot back-tracking required; otherwise, I think I remember him having quite a few good things to say about it.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
This off feeling is what made me restart from fighter to strider. There's definitely something strange about the melee at least. I dunno if it's the lack of a lock on system, but I felt like everything I did was timed strangely or didn't give enough feedback to let me know if I had succeeded. The same with blocking with a shield. I dunno, could be different than what you felt but as soon as I went ranged in this game everything clicked. I'll see if once I'm more experienced the game maybe I won't even notice the melee issue anymore.

Also the climbing mechanic is kinda weird.. I don't see my stamina bar really go down but I'm also not holding or pressing a button to stay on. Are there special controls or parameters for climbing or is it just R2 to latch on and then do whatever I want till it knocks me off?

That's it! The timing. The timing of the movements was just really weird to me.

Yeah I was playing the adventure demo the other day and got ganked by wolves because I couldn't keep my shield pointed at the little bastards.

It's really difficult to go from Dark Souls melee combat to this melee combat--I had the same problem with The Witcher 2, felt janky compared to DS and I couldn't stand it.

Shame, too, because I wanna jump all up on some monsters.

I'm an expert

Yeah I was playing the adventure demo the other day and got ganked by wolves because I couldn't keep my shield pointed at the little bastards.

It's really difficult to go from Dark Souls melee combat to this melee combat--I had the same problem with The Witcher 2, felt janky compared to DS and I couldn't stand it.

Shame, too, because I wanna jump all up on some monsters.

It's worth it to stick it out in my opinion. I think eventually this game's combat will beat out Souls for me. Maybe not the sword and board part, but spells and ranged definitely.

Sanctuary

Buy empty flasks from the shop in Gran Soren, then head to a Healing Spring north-west of the city. Distribute Spring Water with your party of pawns and voila, you now cannot die.

Kind of, except for the fact that they go through it...like water. Better off just giving them herbs and your character holding the water until tough fights.

Also, has anyone else that started a new character had an issue where their main pawn has yet to take on a secondary inclination? Mine is lvl 28, and is still stuck on Scather. While, not actually a bad thing, it still seems extremely odd. I've always had a secondary by level 15 - 20 with my other main pawns.

The UI, and especially the controls really turned me off for the original when I played the demo. There was just something about it overall that I couldn't stand. Glad I revisited the game though last August, because I was definitely sleeping on it.

It's worth it to stick it out in my opinion. I think eventually this game's combat will beat out Souls for me. Maybe not the sword and board part, but spells and ranged definitely.

I love the combat from both, but both are pretty much nothing alike in that regard. Spells for sure are the thing that DD does better than any other game I can think of. Ever. I have never played another game where playing a Sorcerer felt this empowering like it would while playing a pen and paper RPG.

Drewfonse

Are Sorcerors viable in relatively close quarters? It's weird, I always play as a Sorceror type in RPGs, but it's the one class I haven't touched after 10-15 hrs in DD. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I hired a fancy, expensive Sorceress to help me, and I didn't think that it would be wise to roll with 3 magic wielders. I also have a healer Mage.

Thoughts?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I prefer the Xbox controller so I want to get this on the 360 (
actually on the PC, but I know that's not possible ;_;
). Is the pawn thing gimped if you don't have Xbox Gold?

Are Sorcerors viable in relatively close quarters? It's weird, I always play as a Sorceror type in RPGs, but it's the one class I haven't touched after 10-15 hrs in DD. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I hired a fancy, expensive Sorceress to help me, and I didn't think that it would be wise to roll with 3 magic wielders. I also have a healer Mage.

Thoughts?

In close quarters you're going to get chewed out. Make sure you have at least one tank pawn to draw aggro away from you while you cast spells from a distance. Playing a sorcerer demands a great bit of environment awareness. Any time you can stand on a ledge overlooking the battlefield, take that opportunity.

odd_morsel's pawn and I with Hundred Kisses. I would kiss Cherry hundred times. She's an awesome pawn. <3

ilSdv2tl5Vt65.gif
So good.gif

Not there yet but i showed some monster who's the boss yesterday and it felt so good.

Has the feel of the controls/movement changed in any way?

I don't know why, but the demo for the original game turned me off because it just didn't "feel" right. I really want to pick this up.

You should try the adventure demo they released afterwards it's the right feel for the game.
The first demo was "off" but the regular game had "it"

Mugaaz

Thoughts?

If you run around using charge bolts, yes. If you stand there trying to charge High Maelstrom, lol no.

Getting a lot of new equipment now but I'm lacking the materials to upgrade

Pretty frustrating. Got the Cursed Bite but no way to make it stronger past one star

Edit: has anyone found any Diamonds? I need bunch of them but haven't found a single one

I think they confused people's praise of DS as a desire for brutal, hour long boss fights w/ stat scaling so you can't make it much easier. There are plenty of ways to "get around" difficulty in DS, not so here.

So far so good. Had the first encounter with
Death
and I managed to take 1/3 of the first life bar. And then, she disappeared.

Really like the aesthetics of Bitterblack Isle. Very different from the original locations.

And the new roll animation is awesome.

Kyoufu

I ran through all the drakes on the mainland and it didn't happen.

Is there a surefire way to dragon forge?that'd make sense, lol. I don't do much mining, so yeah. Is there a good location to do it?

Are you in NG+ or post-game? Ur-Dragon (offline) can DF your equipment.

I got another "your game data is corrupted" error and booted me from the game.

Is this common? Super scary to play a long session and fear losing progress.

I've heard others having that happen. Backup your save to the cloud/stick.

Skilletor

I got another "your game data is corrupted" error and booted me from the game.

Is this common? Super scary to play a long session and fear losing progress.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I ran through all the drakes on the mainland and it didn't happen.

Is there a surefire way to dragon forge?

Find an enemy that's capable of dragonforging equipment, then fight it until it's on the verge of death. Don't kill it, but instead run away until the game no longer considers you to be in combat and gives you the option to save again. Save the game, then kill the drake or whatever. If it doesn't dragonforge the piece of equipment you wanted, quit to the main menu and load the game. The drake will still be on the verge of death, and you can try again.

Time consuming, but effective.

Wanny

It is floaty. That's exactly what I was thinking the other day. Combat feels loose.

But it wasn't my main problem with the game. Terrible framerate is. For some reason, I could cope with Dark Souls PS3 Blighttown, but I can't cope with any framerate drops in Dragon's Dogma. Framerate drops + floaty combat = enough to kill my fun.

I'm still wishing for a PC version...

maomaoIYP

Thoughts?

Yes it is. I beat vanilla using a 2 sorc party only. But you've got to fight smart though, don't do the big spells until you've got enough space to.

edit: The great advantage of taking 2 sorcs is spell synchrony man.

Top Bottom