• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

These bandits on the way to witchwood are one shotting me left and right...It's crazy how fragile I feel...great game so far.

Edit: shit, I just walked into a camp with at least 20 bandits and a cyclops...no way I'm ready for that

Speaking of offline Ur-Dragon, is there any recommended level for it? I'm currently at like, level 70 as a ranger, not sure if that's still too low for it, haven't really attempted it before, and only tried the online Ur-Dragon once or twice, though I kind of want to try my luck against the offline Ur-Dragon if it would be something that I could actually manage.

Kyoufu

Speaking of offline Ur-Dragon, is there any recommended level for it? I'm currently at like, level 70 as a ranger, not sure if that's still too low for it, haven't really attempted it before, and only tried the online Ur-Dragon once or twice, though I kind of want to try my luck against the offline Ur-Dragon if it would be something that I could actually manage.

You should be fine. I know lower levels who have done it and damage is cumulative over X amount of rounds so you should have no problems doing it in 2 rounds at most.

Has anyone managed to find a bloodred crystal yet? My fiancee has been searching BBI for one for hours, but to no avail.

Edit: Never mind, seems to come off of
Strigoi.

Sanctuary

Yup. Charge Bolts + Affinity spells is all I did as a Sorcerer endgame.

I don't understand what's so great about the charged bolt. You can shoot 3-4x at an enemy during the time it would take to form a charged bolt. Seems almost like a wash in damage, but a bigger loss in potential damage. Maybe it's better with Holy Affinity, but it's not so great with fire/ice. For the situations where you have to run around like a chicken with it's head cut off, I can totally see why a charged bolt would be good. But for most of the game it doesn't seem to matter one bit.

Kyoufu

I don't understand what's so great about the charged bolt. You can shoot 3-4x at an enemy during the time it would take to form a charged bolt. Seems almost like a wash in damage, but a bigger loss in potential damage. Maybe it's better with Holy Affinity, but it's not so great with fire/ice. For the situations where you have to run around like a chicken with it's head cut off, I can totally see why a charged bolt would be good. But for most of the game it doesn't seem to matter one bit.

Benefits of Focused Bolt pierces through multiple enemies/weak spots and can be charged when climbing/knocked down/evading etc.

So it's definitely worthwhile.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
These bandits on the way to witchwood are one shotting me left and right...It's crazy how fragile I feel...great game so far.

Edit: shit, I just walked into a camp with at least 20 bandits and a cyclops...no way I'm ready for that

They def weren't one shotting me but they were a nice challenge early on. I actually died 2 times and forgot to save each time. Long walk back.. I didn't find a cyclops though. I headed right to witchwood. If the camp was that castle looking thing to the right, fugg dat, I knew it was trouble.

Hit-and-run tactics are the name of the game here. You can tackle these guys at a much lower level if you draw them out and back peddle while hitting them with ranged attacks. Never go right into the fray (unless you're a strictly melee character and have no choice).

Or go that way by night. The bandits will be replaced by wolves. One of the rare areas that gets easier at nighttime.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I also learned you can grab and pick up human enemies lol. Free stun when you throw them.

Offline Ur-Dragon was really easy, it didn't dragon forge my equipment though.

I think I gonna take another crack at BBI boss. I have plenty of wake stones now lol
I had a handful drop from one of the mimic-like creatures.
really? Nice. I'll keep looking. I had one mimic give me nothing but rocks

They def weren't one shotting me but they were a nice challenge early on. I actually died 2 times and forgot to save each time. Long walk back.. I didn't find a cyclops though. I headed right to witchwood. If the camp was that castle looking thing to the right, fugg dat, I knew it was trouble.

Haha that's the exact area...I see I took the wrong fork in the road...the castle is safe but there's a camp to it's left on the beach...I won't venture back this way until I'm at least level 20

I'm an expert

Haha that's the exact area...I see I took the wrong fork in the road...the castle is safe but there's a camp to it's left on the beach...I won't venture back this way until I'm at least level 20

Witchwood was a fuckin nightmare too. Some crazy shit in there that literally destroyed one of my pawns. Dude just vanished. That shit don't play. Honestly surpised how much content there is if you choose not to follow the story quests exclusively this early on.

geebee

Banned
I skipped out on the original release due to an existing backlog and lack of time to really get into it.

But I'm really considering getting Dark Arisen. I have both X360 and PS3, but I was wondering if the performance has changed much with Dark Arisen?

Does the PS3 version still have a noticeably lower framerate than the X360 version.. and does the X360 version still have the bad screen tearing?
Also, can someone explain this HD texture pack? Is it enabled when the player installs the X360 game do the HDD and is automatically installed on the PS3?

So what are the best and worst classes to start out with?

They're all good - the Arisen can succeed at any class. Mage is the only one I'd recommend you not linger on for long - it's a stepping stone to greater things. Both strider and fighter can hold their own for the whole game.

By the Maker, that was intense!

During your 2nd time through the last stretch of the labyrinth, you come to a fight against TWO FrostWyrms that constantly cast high level spells and if you dillydally around for too long after you beat them, a Cursed Dragon spawns! Kill that and head through the door...

What's next? Why, not only 2 ThunderWyverns (that can now cast High Lightning/Torpor) but 5 or 6 Eliminators! The ThunderWyverns can cast at any distance, so even when they're far away, you're constantly moving, trying to avoid their spells and any Eliminators you aggro'd. What's after all of that?

In the same area, 3 Living Armors are guarding Daimon's chamber -- and they just love to smack your pawns off the cliffs. Holy. Shit. I don't think I would've beaten it using anything other than Magick Archer and Ricochet Hunter, which is really good against Eliminators. Oh, and then...

Head into Daimon's Chamber for round 2, if you don't want to know about the second encounter with the final boss, don't read this but be sure to bring lots of curatives and wakestones:
The fight goes exactly like the first time... until you kill him. He dies, he hits the floor, his chest starts glowing, the "face" on his chest is ACTUALLY A FACE! The face looks similar to Grigori and it starts talking to you and you fight it.

Daimon's Awakened form is incredibly tough, I was doing noticeable damage to his 1st form with the icy Sixfold shot but that wasn't doing anything to him here. He's extremely resistant to everything but Holy and maybe Lightning, the space was too open for Ricochet to work well. The only way I did good damage to him was to charge Hunter Bolt, get up close, and aim it so most of the shots hit the face. I burned through all my curatives and 6 or 7 wakestones before I finally beat him.

post game.

I've never tried to fight the ur-dragon offline. I'll try it out

Go to the Everfall, 9th level down, Chamber of Distress. It's the one with Snow Harpies and Direwolves right at the entrance. When you enter, go to the opposite side to where you came in and go through the door. It should save right when you enter but save yourself if it doesn't. Kill the Wrym (the weakest of the dragons), if nothing gets DF'd, Godsbane and try again. When stuff does get DF'd, the Wyrm will respawn after 3 days.

That's the fastest way to DF stuff, I've DF'd over 300 items using that method.

I'm an expert

I really love the lighting in this game. Night/caves are obvious, but even during day, fighting shit on a hill under some trees can actually make you lose sight of your targets. It works really well.

Mesoian

So I started my LP of this last night.

I forgot how slow this game could be at the beginning.

I'm rendering them out now, I'll post a link as soon as their done.

Mugaaz

Because you can charge while moving. I don't know which does higher DPS on a stationary target. It's about the movement though, not about anything else. Charged bolts also go through walls and objects. Regular bolts go through some objects, but not walls.

Mugaaz

So what are the best and worst classes to start out with?

ANYTHING. I have NO idea why people think this is a game that requires min/maxing your build. It so unneeded. All the stuff that's actually bad is insanely obvious, like probably don't play a strength based duded for 100 level before going into magic or vice versa? I understand the desire to min/max, I really do. However, there needs to be a point, some form of extreme competition whether in the form of PvP or very difficult PvE. This game allows you to carry infinite healing items and auto use items to revive you if you die, or hire level 200 pawns to join your lvl 32 guy. The combat is challenging, but its literally impossible to lose if you don't want to.

Go to the Everfall, 9th level down, Chamber of Distress. It's the one with Snow Harpies and Direwolves right at the entrance. When you enter, go to the opposite side to where you came in and go through the door. It should save right when you enter but save yourself if it doesn't. Kill the Wrym (the weakest of the dragons), if nothing gets DF'd, Godsbane and try again. When stuff does get DF'd, the Wyrm will respawn after 3 days.

thanks man, I'll try it out. I just beat Daimon for the first time. Heading down into Bitterblack round 2...

I strongly recommend against using a warrior in BBI especially for the end boss. For those doing melee, take a fighter over warrior. I did a lot better against the stronger enemies being able to block attacks and the warrior has no attack as god-tier as Dragon Maw. I think strider, rangers, assassins and magick archers will have a much easier time fighting the high level BBI stuff. Being able to keep your distance helps a lot. I'm feel like I'm doing this shit the hard way being a tank

Twinduct

So .. I got DD, however I only played for like 40 mins before I got turned off by the framerate on the PS3. Is the improvements to the base game significant enough to justify getting it to play the base game?

So .. I got DD, however I only played for like 40 mins before I got turned off by the framerate on the PS3. Is the improvements to the base game significant enough to justify getting it to play the base game?

If frame rate really bothers you that much, probably not. I barely notice it myself.

So I started my LP of this last night.

I forgot how slow this game could be at the beginning.

I'm rendering them out now, I'll post a link as soon as their done.

Please do, please do. Are you LP'ing the whole game or just BB?

burgerdog

By the Maker, that was intense!

During your 2nd time through the last stretch of the labyrinth, you come to a fight against TWO FrostWyrms that constantly cast high level spells and if you dillydally around for too long after you beat them, a Cursed Dragon spawns! Kill that and head through the door...

What's next? Why, not only 2 ThunderWyverns (that can now cast High Lightning/Torpor) but 5 or 6 Eliminators! The ThunderWyverns can cast at any distance, so even when they're far away, you're constantly moving, trying to avoid their spells and any Eliminators you aggro'd. What's after all of that?

In the same area, 3 Living Armors are guarding Daimon's chamber -- and they just love to smack your pawns off the cliffs. Holy. Shit. I don't think I would've beaten it using anything other than Magick Archer and Ricochet Hunter, which is really good against Eliminators. Oh, and then...

Head into Daimon's Chamber for round 2, if you don't want to know about the second encounter with the final boss, don't read this but be sure to bring lots of curatives and wakestones:
The fight goes exactly like the first time... until you kill him. He dies, he hits the floor, his chest starts glowing, the "face" on his chest is ACTUALLY A FACE! The face looks similar to Grigori and it starts talking to you and you fight it.

Daimon's Awakened form is incredibly tough, I was doing noticeable damage to his 1st form with the icy Sixfold shot but that wasn't doing anything to him here. He's extremely resistant to everything but Holy and maybe Lightning, the space was too open for Ricochet to work well. The only way I did good damage to him was to charge Hunter Bolt, get up close, and aim it so most of the shots hit the face. I burned through all my curatives and 6 or 7 wakestones before I finally beat him.

Oh, god. I had to use 4 wakestones on his 1.0 form >.>

edit

I keep getting staves from cursed items. Come on, throw me a sword, dagger, or magic bow!

Mrbob

I must suck at this game. Either it is tougher than I thought or I'm doing something wrong. Whenever I fight bigger enemies I go down in a couple hits.

Is there any good place to grab XP and money so I can get better gear and level up?

Maybe I need to get other companions. I only two right now. There are some really high level I can get for nothing from the stone. But those feel game breaking.

I'm an expert

Geezus..this game is huge isn't it. Just starting the hydra's head to duke's quest and the path there is so vast with so many ways.

sublimit

Banned
I really love the lighting in this game. Night/caves are obvious, but even during day, fighting shit on a hill under some trees can actually make you lose sight of your targets. It works really well.

I think during daytime with a clear blue sky it's a bit too dark in some places.I usually always like to have my lantern turned on even during daytime. :p

Although going out during the night with no lanterns at all and the mini map/hud completely turned off can be a trully unique experience. :)

Billen

Banned
I usually go for archery in all games, but this has me stumped. All I see is the back of my pawn or drive by wolves/harpies. :D

I'm an expert

The world is actually not that big, worry not, there's still a lot to do.

I just mean heading to meet with Mercedes I've been down a bunch of little paths that have held mining spots or treasure.. nothing of great consequence yet, but a trip that would essentially take me 2 mins in a straight line is taking me a half an hour because I want to go everywhere.

Shinta

Banned
Geezus..this game is huge isn't it. Just starting the hydra's head to duke's quest and the path there is so vast with so many ways.

Yeah, this is just the tip of the tip of the iceberg.

What the fuck does min/maxing mean? I've never understood the expression.

Doing everything possible to have the absolute highest stats available. Usually people do this by following someone else's setup and advice and don't do it fully on their own.

In this case, it's weird because people are asking what class to play when they should honestly just try them all and see what they enjoy.

I'm an expert

It means to very specifically make sure you minimize shit that sucks and maximize shit that rules. Basically going for the best possible character you can in terms of stats or gear.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Doing every single possible little tweak to get the maximum benefit out of all your stats without any wasted point.

Basically getting the most efficiency out of every skill point / ability / item. No wasted or excess stats.

An example would be how people who play Dark Souls will try to hit the 25% weight limit as closely as possible to remain light weight, with the assumption that you're making full use of everything.

Another would be how in an RPG say you can get critical damage or attack speed but the formula says that attack speed benefits "cap out" at a certain value, so basically you would only get attack speed till you hit that value and then get critical damage.

Twinduct

If frame rate really bothers you that much, probably not. I barely notice it myself.

Bleh so kinda gonna have to learn to deal with it. Is the changes to the core game/ base game significant enough to rather start with DD:DA?

I mean I don't want to go and waste money, but I'd also not like cheat myself out of a better experience because I'm cheap.

Top Bottom