• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

ThankeeSai

Had the original on 360, got swamped with other games, never did get around to finishing it. Barely scratched the surface tbh.

Pretty much up to date with everything now, have no 360 any more, but have picked up for my PS3 (should be arriving from Amazon today). Really can't wait to get back into it again.

Can't decide on a character class, though. Went as an archer last time, I never go as mage type characters in any of these types of RPG and may well give it a try.

Any recommendations? Good/bad points about magic users?

For people who like it, was there a hump to get over before it "clicked" or was it easy from the start?

I want to play a big session tonight to try to get into it, but I've been struggling.

sublimit

Banned
For people who like it, was there a hump to get over before it "clicked" or was it easy from the start?

I want to play a big session tonight to try to get into it, but I've been struggling.

For me it didn't "clicked" until i was on my second playthrough.On my first playthough i was kinda noticing more of its negatives rather than the positives but on my second playthrough i became addicted to it.I think i'm on my fifth playthrough right now,preparing my team for Bitter Black island (i haven't got DA yet).

GorillaJu

Not having fun with Bitterblack at the moment. These big enemy fights are incredibly frustrating - once my pawns get low HP and can't nuke, the party is completely helpless. There's the darkness, poor frame rate, and for some reason my main hero does jack shit for damage.

I used to relish big fights in DD... but in Bitterblack it's just not coming together for me, sadly.

burgerdog

^
I used to feel the same way, after the novelty of dying wore off. However, I'm not exactly sure what happened tonight because the monsters that were giving me trouble before are dying 10x faster. I haven't upgraded my weapons so that's not the reason they're dying faster. Pawns are also behaving much better, perhaps they just needed knowledge against the new enemies. Keep at it and see if it gets easier for you as well, just keep in mind that it took at least 10 hours for me to reach this point.

sublimit

Banned
Not having fun with Bitterblack at the moment. These big enemy fights are incredibly frustrating - once my pawns get low HP and can't nuke, the party is completely helpless. There's the darkness, poor frame rate, and for some reason my main hero does jack shit for damage.

I used to relish big fights in DD... but in Bitterblack it's just not coming together for me, sadly.

Judging from posts like this (and from people that i know who love challenge in their games) it seems to me that the new area is very unballanced.They probably thought "hey Dark Souls is very popular lets make an area as frustrated as possible" without really putting much thought behind it.
The difference though is that the challenge and frustration is Demon's/Dark Souls is very well planned out and quite ballanced in contrast from what i hear about BBI.

So, I got to the first pawn summon stone. First time playing.

I go in to recruit some pawns and a see a bunch from people on my friends list. They are like at level infinity or 90 or some shit and super powered and they apparently cost 0 RC to use them, while pawns from other xbox live players who aren't my friends cost more RC than I have (which is 28) despite being at a low level (i.e, less than 10)

Game balance thrown out the window? The fuck...

Edit: Burgerdog is one of them. Has like some high level pawn that I hired. Killed the hydra before I even made my first attempt to grab.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Speaking of the Drake, Dragonforging seems more consistent in DA. So far, every new type of Dragon I've fought (Cursed/Fire/Thunder/Frost) has DF'd multiple pieces (2-4), every time. The Drake in Devilfire has DF'd two pieces multiple times and it takes less retrying when he doesn't.

Yeah, I might just have had a run of good luck, but it's seeming to be a lot easier to Dragonforge in Dark Arisen, or at least a lot more consistent.

Making it easier is fine by me, since it makes upgrading equipment a lot less reliant on Ur farming and save scumming.

So, I got to the first pawn summon stone. First time playing.

I go in to recruit some pawns and a see a bunch from people on my friends list. They are like at level infinity or 90 or some shit and super powered and they apparently cost 0 RC to use them, while pawns from other xbox live players who aren't my friends cost more RC than I have (which is 28) despite being at a low level (i.e, less than 10)

Game balance thrown out the window? The fuck...

Edit: Burgerdog is one of them. Has like some high level pawn that I hired. Killed the hydra before I even made my first attempt to grab.

Pawns equal to or lower than your level are free to hire, as are the pawns of people on your friends list. Pawns higher than your level from people not on your friends list cost Rift Crystals.

If you hire your friend's uber-pawns they'll make the game a lot easier, but you'll receive an experience penalty for having pawns above your level.

Yeah, I might just have had a run of good luck, but it's seeming to be a lot easier to Dragonforge in Dark Arisen, or at least a lot more consistent.

Making it easier is fine by me, since it makes upgrading equipment a lot less reliant on Ur farming and save scumming.

Pawns equal to or lower than your level are free to hire, as are the pawns of people on your friends list. Pawns higher than your level from people not on your friends list cost Rift Crystals.

If you hire your friend's uber-pawns they'll make the game a lot easier, but you'll receive an experience penalty for having pawns above your level.

Ohhh - kay.

The game has a shit ton of tutorial prompts but never mentioned that bit. How does the penalty percentage work? By each level higher than mine or is it just one universal penalty irregardless of how much higher the support pawns are?

My Pawn was great as a mage. Buffed when needed, cured when needed and always helped me. She was also solid as a Strider, too, but I fear this might ruin her once I change her back to Mage (when I get my game!) Only issue I had is she ran off to kill things a lot. My fault for alignment change.

Then I hired someone else's Mage/Sorceress and she was terrible.

Youc an adjust your pawn's alignment if things aren't working out though.

My pawn's name was 'Rayne'. If she sucked for anyone here then...it's because she didn't like you!

ixix

Ohhh - kay.

The game has a shit ton of tutorial prompts but never mentioned that bit. How does the penalty percentage work? By each level higher than mine or is it just one universal penalty irregardless of how much higher the support pawns are?

It's an increasing penalty the more levels above you they are, capping at 20 levels above you. I forget the precise formula, but two hired pawns 20+ levels higher than your Arisen cuts your experience gain down to ~50%.

Hiring high-level pawns is actually a strategy people use when trying for a min-max build, since you need to gain access to advanced vocations at precisely level 10 for optimal stat growth.

Kyoufu

The opposite for me. As you can see on my stream I'm destroying everything without a problem.

glaurung

Hey sorry to repeat the question if it's already been answered:

If I purchase the £19.99 Dark Arisen from PSN, does it include the entirety of the original game?

I have the original game on disc, but I never got around to playing it.

Kyoufu

Hey sorry to repeat the question if it's already been answered:

If I purchase the £19.99 Dark Arisen from PSN, does it include the entirety of the original game?

I have the original game on disc, but I never got around to playing it.

Yes it includes the full game.

RS4-

Decided to just start all over again after 5-6 hours lol.

edit - previously, I had the speed run option, but in my new game, I don't. Not sure why that happened (I didn't beat the original DD, the same DD save file I imported was copied over though).

GorillaJu

odd_morsel, thanks for using my pawn. First time I actually gained more than 300 RC and foe knowledge from a hire!

Yeah I'll use her again later, but I'm switching around my pawns a bit to try and find a formula that works for me.

I actually think your lower level is helping you here. I'm level 150, and the difference in power between a 115 and a 150 is really miniscule, but if the monsters are scaled up on a linear path based on your main character level, then I may be dealing with monsters 50% stronger than yours without any significant boost to my character's strength.

Kyoufu

Yeah I'll use her again later, but I'm switching around my pawns a bit to try and find a formula that works for me.

I actually think your lower level is helping you here. I'm level 150, and the difference in power between a 115 and a 150 is really miniscule, but if the monsters are scaled up on a linear path based on your main character level, then I may be dealing with monsters 50% stronger than yours without any significant boost to my character's strength.

Which vocation are you playing?

That depends on the vocation that you are using. Each vocation has it's own stat growth.

Anteater

man i guess DA isn't compatible with my old pawn's knowledge from vanilla :(

Rest at the inn and my pawn came back with a lot of data errors, her spirit didn't live on ;_;

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Hm, that witchwood quest you get early on is quite epic for being an early game quest. Getting to the woods alone is an adventure and then once in there..geez. Had a phantom monster thing literally one shot my pawn. Like he disappeared. It was weird. But awesome.

Although one thing I realized is the thief quest that should be available from the innkeeper isn't. Apparently quests can trigger at different times on different runs. Great.

I'm starting to find really sweet armor now, this Dragonwing Circle looks awesome and it has better stats than a DFed ur-dragon mask.

So far ,all the Bitterblack loot I've found is substantially better than even the weapons from The Dragon and Ur-Dragon. The sword, Cursed Bite, does over 1200dmg when rarefied to gold, and it's not a two-hander.

There's also enchanted bows, finally; I have a fire one that is great.

I've made it to the last boss, although, if the original has taught is anything, who knows.

I beat it,
There's a Daimon v.2 fight after defeating him the first time. Haven't made my way down there again yet, though.

Is it still possible to save your game whenever you want in Bitter Black?

As long as there are no enemies alerted to you/not in combat.

Thanks.
Another question:Can you place a port crystal there and teleport whenever you want?(perhaps somewhere near the last boss?)

Hmm, interesting. I'd guess that's not possible based on the fact that the only way to teleport out of the labyrinth is by Liftstone, Ferrystones don't work in there.

So what new armor sets are there? Would love pics.

I'll try to take some pics of some of the stuff I've found so far.

ixix

That depends on the vocation that you are using. Each vocation has it's own stat growth.

Yeah, but the drop-off for stat growths after level 100 are pretty dramatic across the board. Pre-100 vocations gain 11-13 points distributed across physical and magical attack and defense, post-100 all vocations gain exactly 4 points per level. Going from level 100-200 is about equivalent, stats-wise, to going from 65-100.

I don't think there's any hard data collected for scaling on Bitterblack, but it's possible that the enemies are scaling up faster than the Arisen and pawns are beyond level 100.

Kyoufu

odd_morsel's pawn and I with Hundred Kisses. I would kiss Cherry hundred times. She's an awesome pawn. <3

ilSdv2tl5Vt65.gif

GorillaJu

It shouldn't matter, really.

I'm getting 1-shotted by some enemies, and I'm literally doing so little damage with my attacks that I don't see enemy health bars move.

odd_morsel's pawn and I with Hundred Kisses. I would kiss Cherry hundred times. She's an awesome pawn. <3

ilSdv2tl5Vt65.gif

Yeah, that sorcerer that my pawn is kicking the poop out of? He one-shots me.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Yeah, but the drop-off for stat growths after level 100 are pretty dramatic across the board. Pre-100 vocations gain 11-13 points distributed across physical and magical attack and defense, post-100 all vocations gain exactly 4 points per level. Going from level 100-200 is about equivalent, stats-wise, to going from 65-100.

Sure, but in long term, you will notice the differences, especially if you are using a strenght build or a magic build.

Between levels 100 and 200, Assassin vocation gives you 3 points in str per level. Fighter vocation only gives you 1 str point per level.

It shouldn't matter, really.

I'm getting 1-shotted by some enemies, and I'm literally doing so little damage with my attacks that I don't see enemy health bars move.

Yeah, that sorcerer that my pawn is kicking the poop out of? He one-shots me.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

How did you evolved your characters and what's your stats?

Anyway, the new enemies sure look very challenging. I'm curious to see how good/bad may pawn will be. lol

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So what exactly did Patrick Klepek not like about the game? I'm too lazy to go back and find his comments on the casts. I know he liked the combat but I remember him being meh about the rest.

Kyoufu

Reviewers probably need 8 years to understand this game like the 8 years it took them to understand Monster Hunter.

I love this game. The combat is just godly.

GorillaJu

Well DD is the kind of game that makes a lot of people uncomfortable. Its lacking in all of the areas that Western games have been so successful in over the past decade.

sublimit

Banned
Kinda noob question but if i plan to continue using my pawn as a Mage only do i have any considerable benefits from maxing out all of her vocations?
So far i've maxed out all her vocations except Warrior and Ranger.

I'm an expert

Well DD is the kind of game that makes a lot of people uncomfortable. Its lacking in all of the areas that Western games have been so successful in over the past decade.

I only have 3 hours with it but it has everything shit like Skyrim lacks imo. It gives a great Dragon Age vibe though.

Kyoufu

Kinda noob question but if i plan to continue using my pawn as a Mage only do i have any considerable benefits from maxing out all of her vocations?
So far i've maxed out all her vocations except Warrior and Ranger.

The only benefit would be any augments you'd want from her other vocations. Mine has all the vocations I wouldn't equip for myself (such as Radiance).

Otherwise, no, not really necessary to max her other vocations.

Vortex566

I'm going to give this another go. I owned the original, but it was too hard! I've finished both Souls' games, but something about DD made me want to break the PS3. Anyone offer some good solid advice for a beginner?

sublimit

Banned
I only have 3 hours with it but it has everything shit like Skyrim lacks imo. It gives a great Dragon Age vibe though.

I hated both Skyrim's and Dragon Age's combat but i love the combat (and animations) in DD.

The only benefit would be any augments you'd want from her other vocations. Mine has all the vocations I wouldn't equip for myself (such as Radiance).

Otherwise, no, not really necessary to max her other vocations.

Ah thanks.What about stats like defense,stamina etc?Are these only affected by level?

Kyoufu

I'm going to give this another go. I owned the original, but it was too hard! I've finished both Souls' games, but something about DD made me want to break the PS3. Anyone offer some good solid advice for a beginner?

Buy empty flasks from the shop in Gran Soren, then head to a Healing Spring north-west of the city. Distribute Spring Water with your party of pawns and voila, you now cannot die.

Top Bottom