• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Seriously? I'm at heavy most of the time, lol. Is there any real difference to movement at heavy as opposed to light, or no? I've honestly never really known, lol.

Very much so. It drastically effects stamina expenditure and regen, as well. I absolutely hate being anything over Light.

klee123

About 5 hours into DA

Finally got my Ascalon to level 5 and definitely can feel the improvements in damage output already. The new bow, Dragon Ire at level 2 I recently got was also an improvement over my previous Dragon Forged bow.

Loving this game again!

Jobbs

Banned
I got the gryphic victory 2h sword at around level 16, I'm level 35 now, and still using this sword. Because although I've found other 2h weapons, indeed, some with interesting properties and cool appearances, none have been as good as the GV. or even close.

Any thoughts on how to get away from this weapon? :)

jet1911

I'm trading in AC3 at ebgames tommorow to get this game free. A good move I guess? What are the essentials things a newbie like me should know before starting the game. Getting it on PS3 btw.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm trading in AC3 at ebgames tommorow to get this game free. A good move I guess? What are the essentials things a newbie like me should know before starting the game. Getting it on PS3 btw.

Unlike AC3, this game requires that you actually play it.

This Gran Soren soundtrack is giving me some Braveheart vibes..

Sera O

Banned
I got the gryphic victory 2h sword at around level 16, I'm level 35 now, and still using this sword. Because although I've found other 2h weapons, indeed, some with interesting properties and cool appearances, none have been as good as the GV. or even close.

Any thoughts on how to get away from this weapon? :)

I had something similar happen. Found a good pair of daggers hidden away in the lady bandit fortress. It was my first jaunt out of Gran Soren with Reynard (he died fast, so at least I got something out of it). I think I still have those equipped. Even at 2 stars they outclass every other thing I've picked up.

I think the lack of decent daggers may also have something to do with giving the smith a crappy idol, but restarts for these things are a bad idea for me personally. I've missed a lot of quests this playthrough.

Kyoufu

I said holy shit. One more Thunderwyvern kill gets me this upgrade:

mL7buNM.png

Got some really good loot too. I LOVE THIS GAAAAAAAME.

TentPole

So I know there has been some negative responses to some of the difficulty and balancing but is there anyone who thinks that Bitter Black Isle is DD at its peak? I am loving it and hope that this along with the hints from Deep Down that they are going in more of a dungeon crawler direction with the sequel. I think it is a much better direction than trying to expand the open world nature of the base game.

So I know there has been some negative responses to some of the difficulty and balancing but is there anyone who thinks that Bitter Black Isle is DD at its peak? I am loving it and hope that this along with the hints from Deep Down that they are going in more of a dungeon crawler direction with the sequel. I think it is a much better direction than trying to expand the open world nature of the base game.

I for one would like more puzzles in BBI. Heck, it already has the movement mechanics for some old school Tomb Raider-esque traversal puzzles.

As for the open world nature of the base game, it has the germ to be a far better RPG than the Elder Scrolls. I'm thinking of making a LttP post elaborating on this.

Sera O

Banned
Thanks, added my name. Only lv.30, but useful for anyone doing a replay or playing for the first time.

Hey it's cool. One of my hirelings at the moment is a lv 10 mage named Testicles. I'm doing errands before progressing so it's a good time to check out how different pawn inclinations play out.

So, inclinations. My warrior (though I've kept feeding him scather and acquisitor potions) always seems to want to swing to guardian. I was so frustrated by this. Now, I realize it must be because I mash the 'help' button to try to get mage pawns to buff my weapons. Are there mages that are just inclined to do this at any opportunity so I don't run the constant risk of getting my warrior to hover around me all the time? If so, what inclination does this?

TentPole

I for one would like more puzzles in BBI. Heck, it already has the movement mechanics for some old school Tomb Raider-esque traversal puzzles.

As for the open world nature of the base game, it has the germ to be a far better RPG than the Elder Scrolls. I'm thinking of making a LttP post elaborating on this.

Puzzles would be decent and I would love more fleshed out traps to worry about.

Mainly I am hoping that they don't double down on the quests and character interactions of a Bethesda type that they seem to be going for, which are in my mind the primary faults of the game. But rather minimalism them in a Diablo fashion.

Are we sure it scales? I feel like some of the new monsters (warg, minotaur, elder ogre) are a lot easier now than they were back at lvl 85.
We think it sets its difficulty at your level when you first enter. So if you gain several levels you'll get more powerful relative to the enemies.

I'm level 112, 110 when I entered and many of the enemies are really tough, at least as far as resisting damage.

Unity2012

Just want to drop a "Thank you Capcom!" for expanding on the original idea. This game is fun and has that sense of exploration and adventure that really engages the player within its world.

I hope they are already working on a Next Gen Sequel! Wishful thinking.

Thank you Capcom.

TentPole

We think it sets its difficulty at your level when you first enter. So if you gain several levels you'll get more powerful relative to the enemies.

I'm level 112, 110 when I entered and many of the enemies are really tough, at least as far as resisting damage.

I am still pretty doubtful about this.

gotcha, that makes a lot of sense I think.

I've gained almost 25 lvls in BBI, with my new equipment I'm starting to turn the tables on these tougher monsters

burgerdog

Are we sure it scales? I feel like some of the new monsters (warg, minotaur, elder ogre) are a lot easier now than they were back at lvl 85.

You see, that's the weird thing. They were extremely hard for me at lv70-80, they became manageable at 85 and super easy at 90. Oh, and magick archer is broken in DA, stay away from it if you want a challenge in here.

Jobbs

Banned

Absolutely. Elder Scrolls has become overly safe, overly unambitious, and as a result, overly unimaginative. They are just making the same game each time.

Dragon's Dogma is fresh and energetic, and while it's maybe a little rough around the edges in some regards, it has the energy and inspiration of something completely fresh and awesome, and future installments could change everything as we know it forever on this planet and what's the point of living after that

I love cursed-dragons, best addition to the game by far. Relatively easy and they have an extremely high DF chance.
how did you do against the super-powered Drake in the courtyard? That guy was a beast
You see, that's the weird thing. They were extremely hard for me at lv70-80, they became manageable at 85 and super easy at 90. Oh, and magick archer is broken in DA, stay away from it if you want a challenge in here.
yeah, its similar with me but I'm at lvl 110. That's why it makes sense that it scales to the level you are when you first go to the island

How is Magick Archer broken, exactly? I've only tried it out for a brief bit so I'm not too knowledgeable about the vocation.

Puzzles would be decent and I would love more fleshed out traps to worry about.

Mainly I am hoping that they don't double down on the quests and character interactions of a Bethesda type that they seem to be going for, which are in my mind the primary faults of the game. But rather minimalism them in a Diablo fashion.

One problem with BBI (which was touched upon in some reviews) is how location sets are reused several times. You can literally see where a doorway connector goes: it's bricked up in one use, has a door in another. Perhaps a bit too Dragon Age 2 for my liking.

As for RPG, I'm thinking more of the open world exploring aspect, not as much the character interaction. Example: there's a river or stream near Gran Soren. I traveled to its source, hoping to find something cool. Fought a few saurians. I thought maybe I was going to find a cool cave/dungeon... nope, dead end with a random treasure chest.

Found the Abbey in Cursewood. I thought for sure there would be more than meets the eye about those nuns... why do they live out in the dead forest by themselves? Are they witches? Werewolves? Vampires? Nope, just nuns.

For a duchy with an impressive fortress capital, the rest of Gransys is a barren, lifeless (outside of monsters) wilderness.

Kyoufu

How is Magick Archer broken, exactly? I've only tried it out for a brief bit so I'm not too knowledgeable about the vocation.

Let's just say I can kill big giant stuff from a ledge where I can't be hit. Plus Ricochet Hunter clears rooms lol.

I killed the Wyvern in the courtyard with no effort. Was pretty funny.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yep..soon as I switched to fighter at Gran Soren I realized I'd gotten completely used to the combat. Now melee is fine for me. Makes me want to restart for the third time and go fighter lol..I don't feel like leveling it just for Sinew now haha.

Astra

I'm kind of disappointed with the big monsters on hard mode now. I am only level 38, but kill them all very quickly, and with little trouble. I destroyed a Chimera in less than a minute, and a cyclopes in about 2 minutes.

Let's just say I can kill big giant stuff from a ledge where I can't be hit. Plus Ricochet Hunter clears rooms lol.

lol, no wonder you havent found it difficult.

Fighting a elder ogre or minotaur up close and face to face is a dangerous endeavor
I'm kind of disappointed with the big monsters on hard mode now. I am only level 38, but kill them all very quickly, and with little trouble. I destroyed a Chimera in less than a minute, and a cyclopes in about 2 minutes.
those are entry level bosses, don't worry. Lots of more difficult stuff to come. Some of the easier bosses get upgraded versions, like GoreChimeras

burgerdog

how did you do against the super-powered Drake in the courtyard? That guy was a beastyeah, its similar with me but I'm at lvl 110. That's why it makes sense that it scales to the level you are when you first go to the island

I just stood still on the top level and knocked it out of the air like 10 times, didn't even have to move.

Sixfold(Nine with the ring) and Ricochet Hunter just destroy everything in BBI.

Yep..soon as I switched to fighter at Gran Soren I realized I'd gotten completely used to the combat. Now melee is fine for me. Makes me want to restart for the third time and go fighter lol..I don't feel like leveling it just for Sinew now haha.

No need to start over. Vocations are like the job system in Final Fantasy. Change vocations when ever you want.

I think you can gain ranks rapidly by murdering the oxen in the fields outside Gran Soren so you can get augments you want without sticking to a vocation for several levels.

I'm an expert

No need to start over. Vocations are like the job system in Final Fantasy. Change vocations when ever you want.

I think you can gain ranks rapidly by murdering the oxen in the fields outside Gran Soren so you can get augments you want without sticking to a vocation for several levels.

That's awesome to know, thanks. Well, I'd have also wanted all the str gains from the early levels of fighter. But it's ok, playing strider for the beginning is what made the game click for me. I just want Sinew and then it's gonna be ranger all the way. Until I get bored.

Kyoufu

Anyone know how to respawn the big monsters? I want to kill that Wyvern again. Is it 5-7 days rest or just leave BBI and re-enter?

I just stood still on the top level and knocked it out of the air like 10 times, didn't even have to move.

Sixfold(Nine with the ring) and Ricochet Hunter just destroy everything in BBI.

Might have to make a switch with some of the magick bows I found the other day...

That's awesome to know, thanks. Well, I'd have also wanted all the str gains from the early levels of fighter. But it's ok, playing strider for the beginning is what made the game click for me. I just want Sinew and then it's gonna be ranger all the way. Until I get bored.

Up to level 10, the stat gains are not a big difference.

Use this google doc if you want to min/max stat gains, augments, etc

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...k8wUGNGRTVkeE0xWFE&f=true&noheader=true&gid=9

I'm an expert

I dont really wanna min/max, just str obviously helps me more. I won't restart anymore haha, will fuck around with augments though.

Inversive

Just playing this game for the first time and I enter the pawn world rift thing and see a level112 pawn I can hire for free (thanks Kyoufu, didn't know it was yours until after I had hired her), whats with that? I went to Bitterblack isle at level 18 and killed a Cyclops in three seconds+cleared a few rooms but Death scared me away, pretty crazy if the difficulty sets when you first enter as it will be piss easy when I go back for real. I should probably replace Kyoufu's pawn otherwise my game will be no fun/challenge.

branny

Wait are you saying they changed the lighting for Dark Arisen?
Oh, gosh, no, I don't think so. My copy of DA still hasn't arrived yet, so I'm just twiddling my thumbs impatiently and recalling old memories, lol. I doubt the lighting is any different in DA.

Just playing this game for the first time and I enter the pawn world rift thing and see a level112 pawn I can hire for free (thanks Kyoufu, didn't know it was yours until after I had hired her), whats with that? I went to Bitterblack isle at level 18 and killed a Cyclops in three seconds+cleared a few rooms but Death scared me away, pretty crazy if the difficulty sets when you first enter as it will be piss easy when I go back for real. I should probably replace Kyoufu's pawn otherwise my game will be no fun/challenge.

I think this is more proof of how it sets level when you first enter.

Someone else, make a new character, then recruit high level pawns from your friends list and see if you can clear Bitterblack Isle at like level 20.

Jobbs

Banned
Anyone know where to get a longbow beyond Reinforced Longbow? Judging by the number of ranger pawns I've seen with this longbow, I'd wager I'm not alone.

Why do strider and ranger get 3 magic attack? What use do they have of it?
Buffed (fire/ice/lightning/holy/dark affinity) arrows and daggers.

I dont really wanna min/max, just str obviously helps me more. I won't restart anymore haha, will fuck around with augments though.
I switch between fighter and warrior all the time, not a big deal.

It can help if you max out fighter and all the moves before you decide to switch to assassin or magick knight. Makes the transition a lot easier having those strong sword techniques carry over

Man, screw the guy that changed the Forgery selection menu. Instead of showing you what you currently have on your character, it shows you your ENTIRE inventory.

That'd be nice if I had, like, 5 items, but I have over 1,000! it takes 12 seconds to scroll to the bottom -- and the bottom is where I need to go to select the BBI materials.

I'd be okay with it if the menu was exactly like the one when at an inn but it's a 4x4 grid with everything in one category. WTF devs, this is atrocious. Patch that shit to make it like the inn menu, or let me select the number of forgeries I want instead of doing one at a time, running to-and-fro constantly.

Jobbs

Banned
Buffed (fire/ice/lightning/holy/dark affinity) arrows and daggers.

Magic attack affects the enchantments on your weapons? So even a warrior or whatever, if they get a weapon enchantment from a mage, higher magic attack on the part of the receiver of the buff helps?

Also, I noticed in that great google document the part about the traits -- "how to raise". What's this mean? You can raise a trait? I didn't know that.

Unrelated, while it's on my mind: Do pawns use core skills enhancements? Does it matter if you buy them for them? What about some of the more stragetic/delibrate skills, such as reactive parry type skills and so on?

Magic attack affects the enchantments on your weapons? So even a warrior or whatever, if they get a weapon enchantment from a mage, higher magic attack on the part of the receiver of the buff helps?
All the buff does is enable magick attack of that element type. Your character's magick attack determines the damage. It makes your equipped weapon into a magick weapon of that elemental type, dealing physical plus magick damage based on your stats.

Top Bottom