• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Chemo

So I just bought the original version of Dragon's Dogma, without realizing this was a thing. Did I make a mistake?

Well, at least you get to hear the awesome title screen music. Plus, a save file from the original will grant you bonuses if/when you get Dark Arisen.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Kind of off topic but:

My ps3 froze upon handing in a quest (dutchess in distress, not that it matters)

red blinking light, I left it for a while but nothing happened, then turned the power switch off and back on, it rebooted properly (thank god) did a check for hdd corruption and then went back to the normal ps3 menu.

It was saving while it crashed, if my save is corrupted I will RAGE (especially if ps+ didn't back it up or some shit)
edit: thankfully it just loaded right at the cutscene that ended the quest

It's never done this before (the red blinking light or freezing)

What does it mean? Overheating or is it going to die on me?:\
After my xbox 360 rroded a year and a half ago I don't really want another console to die now that I finally found a console game I'm actually enjoying. (would be the second ever console to die on me in 20 years, both in the same shitty ass POS generation)

Clean your vents sounds like it is over heating, did you console beep loudly? That usually means that it was shut down while something was running which isn't a big deal if nothing got corrupted. Make sure your PS3 is not against the back of a wall or in a drawer or anything where there is no airflow.

My pawn just hit Max vocation in strider and Ranger, she will never be a mage, but should I just leave her as the class I want her in and save a boat load of discipline and get the augs as quickly as possible?

I'd have her max out warrior at least, to get the great augs that are useful to any class with melee capabilities.

Raven77

Is there a place where Gaffers have listed their PSN ID's specifically for this game to use eachothers Pawns? Sorry if its somewhere obvious that I missed...

warrior is really stressful in BBI hard. bad defense makes it difficult to avoid all those one hit kill traps. i'll DF the rest of my gear and switch back to something else soon.

Clean your vents sounds like it is over heating, did you console beep loudly? That usually means that it was shut down while something was running which isn't a big deal if nothing got corrupted. Make sure your PS3 is not against the back of a wall or in a drawer or anything where there is no airflow.

It's warm in here (25 celcius or so) and the ps3 has been on all afternoon and evening (I've barely played it since I bought it in 2008 so it's never been on for this long), yes it did beep loudly when it crashed.

Actually the console feels cold to the touch except the back where the power supply and exhaust grill are feel warm. There seems to be very little air coming out of the back though idk if that is normal (ps3 phat 80GB 2008 model)
(my 360 used to feel like you could cook an egg on it)

My tv cabinet is open on all sides and there is at least 1-2 feet of open space on all sides , it sits on it's own on the bottom shelf so it really frigging shouldn't be overheating at all:\

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
My tv cabinet is open on all sides and there is at least 1-2 feet of open space on all sides , it sits on it's own on the bottom shelf so it really frigging shouldn't be overheating at all:\

Did you check for dust build up? My advice would be to let your console rest for a few hours or the remainder of the day and then see if it happens again, which I doubt it will.

Sanctuary

warrior is really stressful in BBI hard. bad defense makes it difficult to avoid all those one hit kill traps. i'll DF the rest of my gear and switch back to something else soon.

I've already said it earlier, but I can't imagine playing a Warrior in BBI. Even on normal it would be pretty damn annoying. When it shines, it would really shine there, but then it would pretty much be a nightmare for just as much, if not more.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Was finally able to put in a mini marathon. I had some awesome adventures, but I got like 3 quests done lol. Hell, I'm still in the middle of one, clearing out the quarry. This game is massive, but it's teetering on that weird line for me. I hate games like this where the world is ending but I have time to save kittens for some npc. But, for some reason, this game hides that really well. All of the main quests don't have this sense of urgency, and the quests I'm doing (other than the notice board quests) feel really big and significant, not just fetch quests.

I fear that I'm going to overlevel doing side shit though. At 26 now and I still haven't begun the wrym hunt.

Im doing the greatwall quest now (end of the main story is I guess?)
This is where affinity comes into play, right?
I have max with the dutchess, quina and madeleine and one more female (I really don't know who it just says 4 females, perhaps mercedes) so how do I know who the game will pick?

Story spoilers for those who aren't at this point:
I think madeleine is no longer in grand soren at this point, right? :\ and mercedes left when I completed her story quest after she dueled the guy , I have no idea where quina is either after I did her final quest , so I have no chance to lower my affinity with any of them?

Id like the dutchess to be the npc chosen just to see what happens, I hear it has a big impact on the story who gets chosen?
I just don't want any regrets but I can't google this without running into massive spoilers (which i've carefully avoided)

I hope someone can answer my questions or give me some peace of mind without spoiling anything.

edit: also are there any new quests that open up before you go to the great wall? I found madelein's final quest by coincidence and the second dutchess quest because I looked it up, but Idk if there are more.

I've already said it earlier, but I can't imagine playing a Warrior in BBI. Even on normal it would be pretty damn annoying. When it shines, it would really shine there, but then it would pretty much be a nightmare for just as much, if not more.

i can live with slow powerful attacks. what i don't like is his defense. the defensive attack is just not enough to survive the end game onslaught.

Corsick

i can live with slow powerful attacks. what i don't like is his defense. the defensive attack is just not enough to survive the end game onslaught.

My experience as a warrior so far has been pretty rough (end game dungeons only have been tough), but I'm on Daimon now at least. I just feel like the warrior has very little upside and too many downsides relative to everyone else. You're committed to most of your attacks because of how slow they are and they don't do that much damage when you think about how slow and exposed you are to being hit. I'm thinking rangers with the exploding arrows are your best bet for farming as well. There's no way you can farm efficiently with a warrior in BBI even if you can clear it if you compare it to the ranged classes imo.

How does the fighter and assassin fair on bbi?

Also, im about to take on the first big boss of BBI, the one with chains? He kicked my ass when i was level 30, i am now at level 40. Any tips? I cant seem to get his armour off...

Arklite

What kind of party composition is decent for BBI hard mode playing as a sorcerer? Playing as other classes you can handle melee or distance (or both), but this feels very back row casting time and I haven't been able to count on the pawns to clear some breathing room.

Corsick

How does the fighter and assassin fair on bbi?

Also, im about to take on the first big boss of BBI, the one with chains? He kicked my ass when i was level 30, i am now at level 40. Any tips? I cant seem to get his armour off...

The prisoner gorecyclops? I believe those are optional? I remember getting crushed by them and just skipped them and am now at the end, while those would still probably be a huge problem for me.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
You can tackle the dlc at such early levels? So it level scales?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Im doing the greatwall quest now (end of the main story is I guess?)
This is where affinity comes into play, right?
I have max with the dutchess, quina and madeleine and one more female (I really don't know who it just says 4 females, perhaps mercedes) so how do I know who the game will pick?

Story spoilers for those who aren't at this point:
I think madeleine is no longer in grand soren at this point, right? :\ and mercedes left when I completed her story quest after she dueled the guy , I have no idea where quina is either after I did her final quest , so I have no chance to lower my affinity with any of them?

Id like the dutchess to be the npc chosen just to see what happens, I hear it has a big impact on the story who gets chosen?
I just don't want any regrets but I can't google this without running into massive spoilers (which i've carefully avoided)

I hope someone can answer my questions or give me some peace of mind without spoiling anything.

edit: also are there any new quests that open up before you go to the great wall? I found madelein's final quest by coincidence and the second dutchess quest because I looked it up, but Idk if there are more.

Did you do all the dutches' quests?
Like talk to her in the gardens, show up at her place in the middle of the night, and the manse event where you dress like a guard?
(I don't know how else to phrase that without sounding spoilery) if so you should be in the clear unless you gave the others an arisen's bond which I doubt you did or have even crafted one if it is your first play through.

You can tackle the dlc at such early levels? So it level scales?

Your gear matters A LOT more than your level, if you have a dragon forged Dragon's dogma at level 1 you will still be doing about 1000 damage.

Sanctuary

There's no way you can farm efficiently with a warrior in BBI even if you can clear it if you compare it to the Magick Archer imo.

I agree. :)

What kind of party composition is decent for BBI hard mode playing as a sorcerer? Playing as other classes you can handle melee or distance (or both), but this feels very back row casting time and I haven't been able to count on the pawns to clear some breathing room.

As silly as it sounds, I honestly think that having at least two Fighters would be a great boon for a Sorcerer in BBI. Possibly even three just as durable distractions that allow you to actually cast the hard hitting stuff. Regardless, if you're a Sorcerer, I wouldn't bother with bringing a Mage, or even other Sorcerer. Mage hirlings at least are pretty awful for the most part compared to the other classes in BBI (aside from Warriors anyway). BBI is a consumable guzzle-fest anyway.

Did you do all the dutches' quests?
Like talk to her in the gardens, show up at her place in the middle of the night, and the manse event where you dress like a guard?
(I don't know how else to phrase that without sounding spoilery) if so you should be in the clear unless you gave the others an arisen's bond which I doubt you did or have even crafted one if it is your first play through.

Your gear matters A LOT more than your level, if you have a dragon forged Dragon's dogma at level 1 you will still be doing about 1000 damage.

I did the two quests you spoiler tagged yes.
I have two arisen bonds (one from quest, one forged) but haven't used either.

I've been quite thorough with the game, managed to find a lot of info about missables without spoiling the story, I'm not the kind of person who ever replays a storybased long game so I'm trying to see as much as I can in this playthrough without having to slog through all the content a second time.

Sanctuary

I heard the MA had some pretty nice improvements, is it better than the ranger?

I couldn't honestly say. I've only played the Assassin as my other archer type, but playing the MA feels almost unfair at times. They absolutely destroy drakes/wyrms, Elder Ogres and shred anything that has the unfortunate chance of being in a hallway. Rangers can use some pretty great abilities from what I've read, and you can also use the various specialty arrows, on top of having all of your bow skills enchanted, instead of them being element based per skill. Without a caster buffing your bow, or without running around with a surplus of special arrows, I'd say the MA had a distinct advantage in general. This is purely based off my Assassin playthrough though. Oh, and Immolation >
fucking mimic traps. It prevents them from grabbing you

Arklite

As silly as it sounds, I honestly think that having at least two Fighters would be a great boon for a Sorcerer in BBI. Possibly even three just as durable distractions that allow you to actually cast the hard hitting stuff. Regardless, if you're a Sorcerer, I wouldn't bother with bringing a Mage, or even other Sorcerer. Mage hirlings at least are pretty awful for the most part compared to the other classes in BBI (aside from Warriors anyway). BBI is a consumable guzzle-fest anyway.

I'll try two Fighters and a Ranger. Warrior pawns have sometimes worked well for me with that running lunge they have, but yeah, their limited function and slow attacks hinder them noticeably in BBI.

My experience as a warrior so far has been pretty rough (end game dungeons only have been tough), but I'm on Daimon now at least. I just feel like the warrior has very little upside and too many downsides relative to everyone else.
Warrior is definitely at a disadvantage on the isle, especially first starting.

However after getting Bitter End fully upgraded and the lvl 3 moves, it becomes much more managable. Bitter End's knockdown and stagger power is crazy. You can knock a GoreChimera on its ass with one Ecliptic Slash.

What do I need to resist Daimon's annoying as HELL thunder bolts? Climb him, zap. Climb him again, flings me off. Climb him again. Zap. Form 1 or 2, doesn't matter, so long he quits zapping me like he is at the moment.

You should be fine with your dutches waifu then :lol

Also, color me impressed I didn't find out about the arisen's bond well into post game.

The game has a surprisingly thorough and well made wiki that is pretty much entirely spoiler free. (even the comments sections didn't have spoilers which is RARE, I barely looked up 4-5 pages of the FF9 wiki before I got vivi's story and several major other things spoiled...)
It's really only with the final quests that i've just asked about that there were spoiler warnings so I stopped reading.

Every quest I looked up had a nice notes section which showed what quests it unlocked, which it might close off, what to watch out for to not break/fail/deny future quests, what key items you want to forge or keep or make sure to get. Like if you look up shops there's a reference to the gold idol.

Even the duke and dutchess quest pages don't spoil anything that happens.

I wish most games had a community that makes such a good wiki, most game's wikis are trash and super incomplete.

You should be fine with your dutches waifu then :lol

Also, color me impressed I didn't find out about the arisen's bond well into post game.

I gave a whole bunch of gifts to Mercedes not knowing the significance. I didn't know about this marriage/ bond crap. I too wouldrather have the dutchess. Am i screwed?

No clue but it sounds likevyour save will only corrupt on the day you patch or when transferring DD to DA data so if you already did that fine you should be okay. Otherwise back that cat up

Groovy, thanks. Yeah, my DD save to DA save went fine last week. But, yes, backed the hell up just in case :)

You want her over Mercedes? :/ I guess you could do it right in NG+ if you're not already in it.

Well, I don't know. I just want to associate myself with whatever NPC gives me more quests from a gameplay enjoyment perspective.

Regardless, I accidentally died and booted up a save before I gave Mercedes all those cloudwines.

So at this moment I'm pretty much neutral with every NPC in the game. Suggestions on how to approach this aspect to the game?

Also, mid game spoiler question

I decided to spare the life of that cult member when you first meet Elysion, Mason then said something where he disliked my cowardice and that our relationship was over...the fuck? Did I miss out on some missions with him or something?

phierce

Quick question for you guys with a lot more hours logged than me...by carrying the three tears (drake, wyrm and wyvern) have you noticed a difference in drops? Not necessarily in BBI alone, but in general.

Also, while I'm in this post...what do most of you MA users roll with as far as dagger/bow skills? Guessing sixfold and ricochet are no brainers, but just looking for some insight.

RangerBAD

Well, I don't know. I just want to associate myself with whatever NPC gives me more quests from a gameplay enjoyment perspective.

Regardless, I accidentally died and booted up a save before I gave Mercedes all those cloudwines.

So at this moment I'm pretty much neutral with every NPC in the game. Suggestions on how to approach this aspect to the game?

I decided to spare the life of that cult member when you first meet Elysion, Mason then said something where he disliked my cowardice and that our relationship was over...the fuck? Did I miss out on some missions with him or something?

You get more quests based on who you give your affection to?

Kyoufu

Yeah, you done goofed.

He gives the quest "Chasing Shadows" if you didn't goof. Completing Chasing Shadows then unlocks Madeleine's Shop, which then opens up another quest etc.

phierce

You get more quests based on who you give your affection to?
No. You can do every quest for everyone as long as you don't progress too far or get them killed (or make a decision like he did above in the spoiler tag). Love interest doesn't matter with quests. It only determines
who The Dragon has at the end of the game, and who ends up in your house post-game
as far as I know at least.

Anteater

He could've done the chasing shadows before the cult followers quest I think, if he did, the dude just pretty much hangs out with the Arisen's cousin from Cassardis (I forgot her name) but that's it as far as I know.

RangerBAD

Speaking of quests, don't you have to have a female arisen or main pawn to get the female bandit not to attack you? Does she give any quests that you can miss?

I'm an expert

Speaking of quests, don't you have to have a female arisen or main pawn to get the female bandit not to attack you? Does she give any quests that you can miss?

She does, but if you know that much then you know there's a way to do it even if your main char is a male - the dress.

phierce

If you're male or have any male pawns, you have to wear the female outfit (forget the name) purchased from the black car and she won't attack.

Edit: beaten, not once, but twice!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Quick question for you guys with a lot more hours logged than me...by carrying the three tears (drake, wyrm and wyvern) have you noticed a difference in drops? Not necessarily in BBI alone, but in general.

Also, while I'm in this post...what do most of you MA users roll with as far as dagger/bow skills? Guessing sixfold and ricochet are no brainers, but just looking for some insight.

The only thing I noticed was that wakestones drop all the time in everfall also I felt like I got more scales and stuff off boss monsters but I might be wrong.

My brief stint as an MA (I realized I love cannon MK's a lot more) I would run with hundred kisses no matter what because that thing is a boss obliterator , grand scension and the dark skill that traps things in the sigil.

Bow was just six fold. hunters arrow and ricochet arrow. I ran with both the magick boost augs, sinew and blood lust everything else I felt was pretty exchangable for preference.

Side note: I really hate to be THAT guy but does anyone have a divine surcoat or holy cuissest? Jayce appears to have vanished from the universe no matter how many times i rest. And I just realized how much I hate chest farming for these. I'd be willing to trade for stuff but I don't have anything from BBI since I am still fuckin around in the everfall. I want these for appearance not stats really.

phierce

The only thing I noticed was that wakestones drop all the time in everfall also I felt like I got more scales and stuff off boss monsters but I might be wrong.

My brief stint as an MA (I realized I love cannon MK's a lot more) I would run with hundred kisses no matter what because that thing is a boss obliterator , grand scension and the dark skill that traps things in the sigil.

Bow was just six fold. hunters arrow and ricochet arrow. I ran with both the magick boost augs, sinew and blood lust everything else I felt was pretty exchangable for preference.

Side note: I really hate to be THAT guy but does anyone have a divine surcoat or holy cuissest? Jayce appears to have vanished from the universe no matter how many times i rest. And I just realized how much I hate chest farming for these. I'd be willing to trade for stuff but I don't have anything from BBI since I am still fuckin around in the everfall. I want these for appearance not stats really.
Thanks for input, and I may still have one or both of those, but I'm almost certain I sold them...I'll check when I'm back in town and if I do, I'll toss it on delaney.

Edit: if not, and no one else can hook you up, I can snag one from Jayce.

I think I have both.

Top Bottom